Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 04:32:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228016 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  100 Best Selling Albums Of All Time
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: 100 Best Selling Albums Of All Time  (Read 8415 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 04:19:24 AM »

I got to lookin on the RIAA sight and Appetite hasnt been updated 1998.

Slippery when wet hasnt been updated since 96 so its probably over 14 million by now.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 09:24:45 AM »

I got to lookin on the RIAA sight and Appetite hasnt been updated 1998.

Slippery when wet hasnt been updated since 96 so its probably over 14 million by now.

The RIAA are a rather sloppy bunch,

Mj's Dangerous album hasnt been updated since 1994 - it came out in 91! 30 odd million in three years, pretty darn good!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Hysteron
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 01:46:13 PM »

This list is as daft as all the others - you are comparing albums that have had a 40 year head start on others!

...not to mention the obvious point that if you think sales relate to album quality than your a muppet, but hey maybe Thriller is the best album of all time confused

I don't recall this being the 100 greatest albums of all time list.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2006, 12:50:03 AM »

A good list of REAL numbers, but a there are a few problems:

The number of people buying albums has increased dramatically, because of changes in economies, lifestyles, and simple population increases.  So, the biggest selling album of 2000 has a natural advantage over the biggest seller of 1970, for example. 

Also, weren't 7" singles a more common way to buy music a few decades back (50s 60s?).  Probably had an effect. 

It's the same way you always have new boxoffice records for movies.  Yeah, because more people exist now than when Casa-fuckin'-blanca came out and tickets cost more!

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2006, 04:52:49 AM »

I cant believe Bon Jovi New Jersey didnt make the list. I thought it sold about 8 million in the US... must of barely missed the cut.

Strange that Cross Road isn't there either Huh It was also a massive hit.

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
Rocksteady
Rocker

Fist in the air in the land of hipocrisy

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2006, 11:17:58 AM »

Were all these people buying "The Bodyguard" Soundtrack just because of the Whitney Houston song, or were there other hits on it?  Huh

This   is   Democracy!!!
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2006, 11:25:07 AM »

It's the same way you always have new boxoffice records for movies.  Yeah, because more people exist now than when Casa-fuckin'-blanca came out and tickets cost more!

Box office records in as far as price, not necesarily people going to see the movie. I'm pretty sure that Gone With the Wind is still the most watched movie at the cinema, that is that the most people went to see it......

... But hey. I could be wrong.

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
pasnow
VIP

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 11:36:30 AM »

Were all these people buying "The Bodyguard" Soundtrack just because of the Whitney Houston song, or were there other hits on it?? Huh

It was pretty much just that song. But it was all over the place back then. And females from 15-50 were into it, so it had a mass appeal.

Yeah, these get distorted because not only do the older one's have a head start, but they get duplicate purchases for people switching mediums (Records to Cassette's, cassette's to CD etc). That said, I'm sure a ton of people bought Slippery When Wet in the last couple years, as back in the late 80's the originally had it on tape. Figured during his resurgence get it on CD.

Although like Atari Legend II said, it's a 'best selling' list, so take the numbers for what they're worth.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2006, 02:13:40 AM »

Box office records in as far as price, not necesarily people going to see the movie. I'm pretty sure that Gone With the Wind is still the most watched movie at the cinema, that is that the most people went to see it......

Yes...I meant in terms of $$$.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2006, 12:09:54 PM »

Birth of a Nation? Wink
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: