Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 03:47:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  How many copies do you think Chinese Democracy will sell?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How many copies do you think Chinese Democracy will sell?  (Read 25714 times)
Demon Wolf
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2006, 07:00:51 PM »

Considering Josh Groban can sell 13 million copies of some stupid album... It's true, read it in the papers.
Anything is possible. It all lies in the singles.

Here today...gone to China to bring back Democracy!

- My covers of If The World n' Catcher In The Rye - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FOfNxtBjQbQ&feature=channel_page
burden
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2006, 07:05:22 PM »

dude what are you talking about? fortus and bumblefoot can play circles around Slash...Its like the master Zakk Wylde said slash is good but he doesnt have the same chops as the greats....
Then how come nobody ever heard of Fortus or Bumblefoot before Axl selected them, and Slash has his own commercial. ?I am open to this new band and hope that the music will be great, but come on, lets get serious - Slash has written the riffs for Jungle, Paradise City, Sweet Child, Estranged, November Rain, and the list goes on - who cares about "chops" when you can write those riffs and solos. ?All Fortus and company do now is replicate what Slash wrote, its like saying I'm a better technical painter than Picasso because my picture is dead on and I improve a bit on it. ?Picasso came up with the idea!!!! ?
markpeterhughes73
Headliner

Waiting, waiting, waiting some more... Chin Dem?

« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2006, 07:08:39 PM »

If the critics don't like it, and there are no hits: 2-4 million
If the critics don't like it, but there are hits: 4-6 million
Critics love it, calling it one of the best albums ever, and you have several hits: 10+ million

Worldwide.

That's pretty much the best you can do these days.

Maybe your right, who knows. Time will tell but lets face it Appetite is the reason we're here. ?Some may say its the Illusion albums but without Appetite the Illusion albums wouldn't have happened. Chin Dem has a lot to live upto and lets hope that Axl stops this perfectionism and just gets the album out regardless.

Who gives a F**K I just wanna hear the album and follow ups if there will be any but this postponed shit goes on and on and on and on and on its getting boring. ?I mean March 6th has to be the date now or I for one will tune in when a decade passes. Maybe then China will have its Democracy.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2006, 07:10:21 PM »

2 to 3 million.? I think GnR will need a monster hit to get the album out to the mainstream.?

Better could very well be that hit...

I'm an old GNR fan from 80s and must admit that it has taken time for the leaks to grow on me, especially with the expectations I have.? I really don't think GNR are ever going to reproduce what they had years ago. I would love it to happen but lets face it, it will take MASS media the way it used to be back in the 80s and 90s.? This can't happen in this day and age because the press are too interested in what the modern youth want to see and its not GNR and never will be Axls in his 40s now he is what Lemmy and Bon Scott were in the late 80s.? Axl's days have gone into a downward spiral just like the old greats like Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden (Although they get good reviews), Metallica, this goes on and on but you've heard and read the rumours about GNR not being able sell out their shows.? GNR are losing the small fan base with every year that passes. Most people here on the boards are new gunners that got into UYI I&II because there older siblings or parents listened to Appetite.

Jarmo did a vote a while back to see what the age groups are and most are kids that weren't old enough to drink a bud when Appetite was around.

I think they'll be lucky to shift a million. SO MUCH HOPING TO BE WRONG THOUGH! JUSt GETTING FED UP

While all of your perceptions are fairly accurate, it doesn't take more than one or two great singles to make it right again.

A few examples:

Back In Black with Back In Black: A band who had replaced their vocalist got their biggest selling album solely because of great material.

Jefferson Starship with We Built This City: Got a great hit in the third incarnation of the band. The integrity of the 60s were gone, but that didn't matter.

Carlos Santana with Smooth and Maria Maria: Been away from the spotlight for I don't know how many years. Released an album with 2 major singles. On top of the world again.

Shaggy with I don't remember what: Bullshit artist with minor hits goes ahead and makes a very commercial album. 2 great singles, sold 10 million.

I doesn't matter how long you've been gone, or how much shit you've released or don't released. If you strike the general public with something catchy and fresh you are going to sell loads. And let's not forget that Mr. Axl Rose got a few advantages on the artists above. Both quality and reputation wise.

Better and The Blues are more than good enough to win the chicks and young kids over. For all we know there are even better songs planned to be released as singles. That's where the key lay for great sales.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
markpeterhughes73
Headliner

« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2006, 07:11:06 PM »

dude what are you talking about? fortus and bumblefoot can play circles around Slash...Its like the master Zakk Wylde said slash is good but he doesnt have the same chops as the greats....
Then how come nobody ever heard of Fortus or Bumblefoot before Axl selected them, and Slash has his own commercial. ?I am open to this new band and hope that the music will be great, but come on, lets get serious - Slash has written the riffs for Jungle, Paradise City, Sweet Child, Estranged, November Rain, and the list goes on - who cares about "chops" when you can write those riffs and solos. ?All Fortus and company do now is replicate what Slash wrote, its like saying I'm a better technical painter than Picasso because my picture is dead on and I improve a bit on it. ?Picasso came up with the idea!!!! ?

EXACTLY! These guys are here because the others can't be. I will follow also and hope for the best but Guns have to get this shit out.
markpeterhughes73
Headliner

« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2006, 07:16:35 PM »

2 to 3 million.? I think GnR will need a monster hit to get the album out to the mainstream.?

I'm an old GNR fan from 80s and must admit that it has taken time for the leaks to grow on me, especially with the expectations I have.? I really don't think GNR are ever going to reproduce what they had years ago. I would love it to happen but lets face it, it will take MASS media the way it used to be back in the 80s and 90s.? This can't happen in this day and age because the press are too interested in what the modern youth want to see and its not GNR and never will be Axls in his 40s now he is what Lemmy and Bon Scott were in the late 80s.? Axl's days have gone into a downward spiral just like the old greats like Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden (Although they get good reviews), Metallica, this goes on and on but you've heard and read the rumours about GNR not being able sell out their shows.? GNR are losing the small fan base with every year that passes. Most people here on the boards are new gunners that got into UYI I&II because there older siblings or parents listened to Appetite.

Jarmo did a vote a while back to see what the age groups are and most are kids that weren't old enough to drink a bud when Appetite was around.

I think they'll be lucky to shift a million. SO MUCH HOPING TO BE WRONG THOUGH! JUSt GETTING FED UP

While all of your perceptions are fairly accurate, it doesn't take more than one or two great singles to make it right again.

A few examples:

Back In Black with Back In Black: A band who had replaced their vocalist got their biggest selling album solely because of great material.

Jefferson Starship with We Built This City: Got a great hit in the third incarnation of the band. The integrity of the 60s were gone, but that didn't matter.

Carlos Santana with Smooth and Maria Maria: Been away from the spotlight for I don't know how many years. Released an album with 2 major singles. On top of the world again.

Shaggy with I don't remember what: Bullshit artist with minor hits goes ahead and makes a very commercial album. 2 great singles, sold 10 million.

I doesn't matter how long you've been gone, or how much shit you've released or don't released. If you strike the general public with something catchy and fresh you are going to sell loads. And let's not forget that Mr. Axl Rose got a few advantages on the artists above. Both quality and reputation wise.

Better and The Blues are more than good enough to win the chicks and young kids over. For all we know there are even better songs planned to be released as singles. That's where the key lay for great sales.

I stand corrected... I do however wish your right and hope this thing takes off but chances are slim to say the least.  Comparing Brian Johnson (Back In Black) to Bon Scott is a NO NO. Any ACDC fan would tell you that. Just because Back In Black did well doesn't mean that ACDC were better with him, would guns be better without Axl (i.e VR).  I'm not saying that GNR are hasbeens but mearly the fact that they can't get the old coverage they once had.
dallasgel
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2006, 07:18:26 PM »

I think it will be lucky to go more than platinum. ?In this day and age it seems that you have to appeal to the TRL crowd or the Oprah watchers to get good sales. ?Unfortunately, GNR don't fit in any of those groups. ?If you look at the best selling albums over the last few years it has been by younger artists who appeal to younger demographics (Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, Justin Timberlake) or artists who appeal to the Oprah watching soccer mom variety (Josh Groban, Rod Stewart). ?Generally, albums that critics like do not often sell many copies. ?There is a built in fanbase for GNR but just because it exists does not mean that all those people will buy the album. ?Quite a few may be interested but will choose to download it, while others may be turned off by the fact that Slash, Duff, et al are no longer in the group. ?I would suggest downloading will be the biggest hindrance to this album selling more than 1X platinum. ?In this day and age platinum is becoming rarer.

scar2d2w
Headliner

« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2006, 07:21:05 PM »

excellent point.  and as the list shows albums that are really stellar withstand the test of time to become the greatest selling of all time.  i would bet there are some yet-unknown instant classics on chinese democracy...

marknroses
VIP

"Ain't It Fun"

« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2006, 07:32:03 PM »

Top Selling Albums of all time
#1 - 28,000,000 sold.? ?Their Greatest Hits (vol. 1)? The Eagles?
#2 - 26,000,000 sold.? ?Thriller? Michael Jackson?
#3 - 23,000,000 sold.? ?The Wall? Pink Floyd?
#4 - 22,000,000 sold.? ?Led Zeppelin IV? Led Zeppelin?
#5 - 21,000,000 sold.? ?Greatest Hits VOL I & II? Billy Joel?
#6 - 19,000,000 sold.? ?The Beatles? The Beatles?
#7 - 19,000,000 sold.? ?Come On Over? Shania Twain?
#8 - 19,000,000 sold.? ?Back In Black? AC/DC?
#9 - 19,000,000 sold.? ?Rumours? Fleetwood Mac?
#10 - 17,000,000 sold.? ?Boston? Boston?

Where do you think Chinese Democracy will land? Will it place?

Bro, please.

I'll help the record sales and will definitly be buying the CD.
BUt I haven't bought a CD in 3 years. how do I need to when I can download the songs. TRuth is that no album will ever sell 10 million copies again. Even Appetite with the technology today would struggle to sell 10 million records in this climate of computers and internet.

You also need to subtract the die hard old-school GNR fans who won't pay for something that doesn't have 4/5ths of the original lineup. As much as I love Axl Rose, there is definitly a debate that can be made that this album is not a "Guns N' Roses" album and that if indeed he put out the same music under his own name or a name different than GNR, it would struggle to do better than plantinum.

I will only say this once:
Chinese Democracy's record sales will be a success if it sells more or same what the GNR Greatest Hits 1987-1994 sold.
3X PLATINUM

Chinese Democracy record sales will be adequate if it sells the same at Velvet Revolver's Contraband
2x PLATINUM

Chinese Democracy's record sales will be a failure if it sells less than Velvet Revolver's Contraband
1x PLATINUM

I certainly wish it could change the world and sell 5x Platinum. To me, that would be remarkable. If it sells more than 5x Platinum, this record will need quite a few more surprises than the 5 songs we have heard.
At this rate, I say the album will go 2x Platinum. There are many wildcard factors that will determine if it sells more or less. But GNR is such a great thing and Axl is such an idol and inspiration to me, that I will buy the album, which I never do anymore - pay $15 for a CD for the CD.
 Cool
MNW

"I guess I like who I am now. I'd like to have a little more internal peace...I'm sure everybody would" (Axl Rose R.S. 4/1992)
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2006, 07:39:14 PM »

I stand corrected... I do however wish your right and hope this thing takes off but chances are slim to say the least.? Comparing Brian Johnson (Back In Black) to Bon Scott is a NO NO. Any ACDC fan would tell you that. Just because Back In Black did well doesn't mean that ACDC were better with him, would guns be better without Axl (i.e VR).? I'm not saying that GNR are hasbeens but mearly the fact that they can't get the old coverage they once had.

I'm not comparing anything. I know what the majority of the AC/DC die hards feel, and I certainly know some of the resentment among GN'R die hards. Quality is subjective, and change in style and sound will always be debated.

But we're talking major sales here. We're talking the average record buyer. He does not give a shit if Slash has left the band or if it doesn't sound like old GN'R. Why? Because he rarely remembers any of it. What matters to him is catchy material. GN'R got catchy material.

estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2006, 08:18:13 PM »

I predict 1.000.000 copies in the first two weeks.
I also predict that this will be the best selling Guns N' Roses album.
But it will never be in that top 10 list.
just my two cents.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2006, 08:21:31 PM »

I predict 1.000.000 copies in the first two weeks.
I also predict that this will be the best selling Guns N' Roses album.
But it will never be in that top 10 list.
just my two cents.

You think it will sell more than 45 million copies? You taking bets?

estranged27
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2006, 08:31:33 PM »

A few examples:

I stand corrected... I do however wish your right and hope this thing takes off but chances are slim to say the least.? Comparing Brian Johnson (Back In Black) to Bon Scott is a NO NO. Any ACDC fan would tell you that. Just because Back In Black did well doesn't mean that ACDC were better with him, would guns be better without Axl (i.e VR).? I'm not saying that GNR are hasbeens but mearly the fact that they can't get the old coverage they once had.

im a huge ac/dc fan and yes while i do prefer bon you can't deny brian, he is as good as a singer as anyone. back in black did well because of its material, in my opinion it is the best album ever released along with appetite and powerage. if better gets the promo and airplay it deserves then there is no reason chi dem wont sell like hotcakes just my 2 cents
bigcash2002
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2006, 08:46:36 PM »

3-5 million copies
BillBailey
Headliner

greatest piece of album art ever UYI

« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2006, 09:25:30 PM »

People out there are desperate for rock. Nickelback the worst band ever is selling millions of records and that is the worst crap i have ever heard in my life! VR debuted at #1 and went on to sell 3mil plus copies with little promotion and one decent first single. Since Axl is very smart he will use better as his first single (which is a much better 'no pun intended' track than anything on contraband) and it will imediately be a rock radio favorite. With that track to build momentum the sky is the limit for CD. The hunger for a record like this is being very underestimated by everyone in the media. I think even in this internet crazy time CD will still sell over 5mil domestically and probably 8-10mil worldwide. There are sooooooo many GNR fans in the states, europe, and south america alone that the album is destined for success. I also think it will be very well reviewed which certainly won't hurt.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 10:06:55 PM by billbailey07 » Logged

There's a lot goin on here.....
AppetiteForChinese
Opening Act

Now We All Know Better

« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2006, 09:31:11 PM »

People out there are desperate for rock. Nickelback the worst band ever is selling millions of records and that is the worst crap i have ever heard in my life! VR debuted at #1 and went on to sell 3mil plus copies with little promotion and one decent first single. Since Axl is very smart he will use better as his first single (which is a much better 'no pun intented' track than anything on contraband) and it will imediately be a rock radio favorite. With that track to build momentum the sky is the limit for CD. The hunger for a record like this is being very underestimated by everyone in the media. I think even in this internet crazy time CD will still sell over 5mil domestically and probably 8-10mil worldwide. There are sooooooo many GNR fans in the states, europe, and south america alone that the album is destined for success. I also think it will be very well reviewed which certainly won't hurt.

very well put my friend
i couldnt have said it any better

"there was a time, didn't wanna know it all, didn't wanna know it all,
and I don't wanna know it now"
dodger girl
Rocker

art is resistance

« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2006, 09:52:17 PM »

People out there are desperate for rock. Nickelback the worst band ever is selling millions of records and that is the worst crap i have ever heard in my life! VR debuted at #1 and went on to sell 3mil plus copies with little promotion and one decent first single. Since Axl is very smart he will use better as his first single (which is a much better 'no pun intented' track than anything on contraband) and it will imediately be a rock radio favorite. With that track to build momentum the sky is the limit for CD. The hunger for a record like this is being very underestimated by everyone in the media. I think even in this internet crazy time CD will still sell over 5mil domestically and probably 8-10mil worldwide. There are sooooooo many GNR fans in the states, europe, and south america alone that the album is destined for success. I also think it will be very well reviewed which certainly won't hurt.

wow this post made me giggle like a crazy person Grin

I really hope and wish what you said becomes true!!

JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2006, 09:58:10 PM »

7 million
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2006, 10:00:34 PM »

Given the concert reviews GnR are getting - especially the positive ones posted here - I imagine the world will be getting a wake up call when Democracy hits.  As critics say, this is far from a nostalgia tour, and Axl & Gnr are relevant rock and roll powerhouses in today's world.  Old fans will quickly remember why they loved the band, and new fans will be pulled in by the new songs, and then discover the older GnR material.

The album will do exceptionally well.
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2006, 10:42:32 PM »

CHINESE DEMOCRACY will be astronomical. The album will change the face of music it will be thriller x 2 i'm guessing 30 million within five years all together about 37 million and it will continue after that because people will be listening to it over and over and over and over and over again that it will wear out and they'll have to buy more copies of it. Thats my guess/opinion. i would Love to be right yes

Heres to a CHINESE DEMOCRACY in March of '07 beer

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: