Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:32:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Song Opinions ~ 2006
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Song Opinions ~ 2006  (Read 4342 times)
Chief
Legend

« on: December 27, 2006, 04:01:06 PM »

After this year / tour, which songs have you guys taken a liking to more and which songs have you changed your mind on (good/bad) ?

for me - I like Chinese Democracy more now.  The new intro and the pittman effects along with Ron's guitar fills have made it a lot better for me.

Better - I like that song more and more each time I hear it!

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 04:03:12 PM »

Better has always been my favorite, and remains the same - a classic waiting to be heard.

The Blues has lost its luster for me...I like the '02 version much more than the current version.

I've liked Madagascar from the start, and it's only gotten better over time.  An album highpoint to be sure.

IRS is about the same.? After hearing it live, I like the minor changes, and am looking forward to the finished version.

Chinese Democracy has grown on me.? I like the current version much better than previous live versions I've heard.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 04:07:11 PM by bazgnr » Logged
axlrosegnr
I have a custom title now!
Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 04:05:09 PM »

Yeah, after seeing Better live, I like it much more, for some reason it didn't really get me right away after hearing the demo. But with this band, I like everything they do live, hell, it seems that they could play Jungle 20 times in a row and I'd still have a blast.

Axl is God.
novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 04:05:35 PM »

i feel that
 better, catcher in the rye, twat, madagascar and the blues are classics

chinese democracy is very good

but irs just doesnt do it for me ( even though it is pretty cool live)

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
Pingouirose
Rocker

Here I Am !

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 04:05:51 PM »

Now, I can't wait for The Blues studio ! I hope it will be a massive hit on the radio  peace
Chief
Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 04:07:39 PM »

Oh yes, I definitely like the IRS live version that they've been doing lately better. it seems like it has more energy and is edgier.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 04:11:18 PM »

Better - Sounds pretty much the same, just hope Bucketheads parts will stay on it. That pretty much goes with all the songs.

I.R.S - Interested to hear the new solo and guitarwork on a finished version, but the leak is a killer anyway so I don't really care.

Madagascar - The Fortus solo just ruins this one for me. BH needs to be on this song, or perhaps a BBF solo that tops it. If the song sounds the same on record as it does live now I'll have to make my own remaster. Just doesn't cut it the way it is.

Chinese Democracy - The intro, BBFs licks and masterfull Pitman additions = ?drool Without a doubt the song that has improved the most. Dying to hear a studio version.

There Was A Time - Doesn't sound like they've made any drastic changes to the demo, and that's ok. Killer song.

The Blues - I don't really know how I feel about this song. I love it, but I think it will sound alot different in the studio. A song that relies heavily on Axls vocals, and to be honest he rarely nails them in a live setting. A studio version would kickass, but I would prefer the 2002 outro.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
EFISH
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 04:13:16 PM »

My take on the live versions of the new songs in 2006:

Better- This song live rocks just as hard as the demo and is a classic. One of the best sounding live songs of the tour for sure.

IRS- The demo is decent but live this song sounds SOOOOO much better! If the album version sounds more like how it sounds live, this track will be fantastic.

TWAT- I wish we heard it more and better quality to compare but sounded like it needed some work. The demo is a masterpiece and I hope we hear it sound that great live, like they used to do with Estranged. This one has the ability to be a monster.

Chinese Democracy- They have added so much to it since the 01-02 tour, the new intro, more pitman effects, cool shredding by Bumblefoot and his fretless....this song has evolved soooooo much since the last tour and it sounds 400 times better.

The Blues- I REALLY REALLY miss the old version with the cool guitar intro and faster paced. It sounds too shaven now. It's still great, the guitar solo and the lyrics are phenominal but the live version just doesn't do it for me like the '02 one did.

Madagascar- Not much has changed but this song live is still fantastic. It is so moving and epic and is a classic. I hope they play it live at every concert until there is no more Guns N' Roses.
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 04:19:48 PM »

I actually like CD less now than I did before with the changes.  I don't think the changes in The Blues are for the best either, but I don't think they make me like the song less either...  After seeing both Better and IRS live I like them even more than I did before (which was a lot).

Better, Madagascar, TWAT are all masterpieces IMO, some of my favorite Gn'R songs ever.  IRS, CD, The Blues are all very good songs too, they're just not in the same catagory with the best songs.  CITR doesn't really do it for me at all..

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 04:22:25 PM »

It's a little unfair to judge the songs from their live performance anyway. They are too complex and demanding for it to ever sound right, and Axls voice just doesn't reach the heights of his studio efforts in a live setting.

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 04:28:29 PM »

I always thought Chinese Democracy was rather filler until now.  Bumble's part and the keyboard part totally take the song to a new place.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2006, 04:30:30 PM »

I always thought Chinese Democracy was rather filler until now.? Bumble's part and the keyboard part totally take the song to a new place.

Those parts are kinda freaky. They take the song from standard rocker to some Stanley Kubrick eerie horror level. Pitmans signatures will be all over CD I think.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 04:30:54 PM »

CD - love it now, likes it much before but with all the new stuff i must say i love it..

Better - my favourite of the leaks, dunno if i think it kicks ass as much live as the demo but what i do know is that i love the demo and the small part in the HD commercial sounds terrific drool

IRS - kicks ass live, one of the best live songs

TWAT, madagascar, the blues - 3 awesome songs and i think the blues is best IMO and that's the one a listen to the most for some reason i usually skip TWAt and madagascar even though i think they are great..

out ta get me - yes that is an old song, i know, but it has grown on me, before thwe tour it was a song i didn't listen to that much and i couldn't understand why the band played it at every show, now i know yes

with all this said what i miss from the new songs, is those kick-ass-headbanging-up-tempo-hard-rock-songs
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006, 04:32:16 PM »

I always thought Chinese Democracy was rather filler until now.  Bumble's part and the keyboard part totally take the song to a new place.

i agree, i feel it deserves to be the title track a lot more ok

I think all the dongs have turned for the better, maybe the blues is a bit different, but I like the slow beginning
Buckethead Superstar
Headliner

No, I wont be told anymore

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2006, 04:32:51 PM »

To be honest, i only heard the leaks for the first time in may, so they were all SHIT HOT

Better was ace, CITR was ace, IRS is shit shit hot and There Was A Time is brilliant

madagascar live lost it because his clean cut voice was better in RIR3..but the new guitar work during the "i found the ways" etc is great and i canny wait til the album

the blues is just brilliant

and i heard Chinese Democracy for the first time live at donnington...great...

and older songs the changed me were welcome to the jungle...fuckin awesome

over all, i love this band...

release the album...nuff said
MrBrOwNsToNeR
Rocker

http://www.myspace.com/pellostone

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2006, 04:34:35 PM »

new songs < old songs.

less energy less violence less power less epic les emotions............

did'nt heard a new song as great as Civil War or Estranged...

i love new GNR as the old one ... but i think the new songs are juste average rock songs.

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2006, 04:52:57 PM »

After this year / tour, which songs have you guys taken a liking to more and which songs have you changed your mind on (good/bad) ?

for me - I like Chinese Democracy more now.? The new intro and the pittman effects along with Ron's guitar fills have made it a lot better for me.

Better - I like that song more and more each time I hear it!

As far as classics, not sure why but Out Ta Get Me is one I like about 300 times better these days.

I also completely love the new Chinese Democracy intro.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Thorne
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2006, 05:03:34 PM »

Although I couldn't possibly choose a favourite GNR song whenever I'm asked what my favourite song is I have to answer Better....it's the only song I can listen to over and over for hours without feeling the need to change songs. It really is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard!

This tour just makes me appreciate all their songs more, including the ones they don't perform! peace

If you hate Thornes then don't pick this Rose.....
Neon Mobil Horse
Opening Act

Who wants gas?

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 05:11:09 PM »

My opinions of the new songs...

First, I'm discounting the leaks as we've really not had a whole hell of a lot to compare them to.

I will say this... I love the way that IRS has changed.  I love the new funky additions to it.

Better sounds just as cool as it did when I first heard it.  Also, after hearing the little bit from the Harley ad, I'm VERY interested in hearing a final, finished version.

There Was a Time just wasn't played live enough to gather any conclusive, formative opinion (in my opinion...)

Of the older new songs...

Madagascar is phenominally better -if for no other reason that I love Axl's new way of singing it compared to the 2001 and 2002 performances.  Yes, I did like Buckethead's solo, but I feel that Richard does a more than adequate job handling the guitar solo.

Chinese Democracy is, in my opinion, the most improved.  I love the new intro, I love the way that it actually FEELS like an opening track to an album now...

The Blues... GOD, I miss the old version.  Personally, in terms of musical quality and raw power, the performance from RIR3 tops all else.  The drumming is so much more vibrant, the guitars sound that much edgier... the current version... I just don't like how they've toned it down so substantially.  I will admit, however, the I really prefer Axl's vocals on the song now.

Again, just my opinions.

You don't make friends with salad!
Illusions Used
Opening Act

One In A Million

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 05:17:45 PM »

I don't have the early versions of the new songs, but I have what (I assume) what everyone else has.  So, I don't have a point of reference as far as changes.  Better will be a huge radio hit: very catchy and different from anything on air. 

All the new songs had great energy live.  A lot of energy that gets lost on the demos.  Hearing them live invigorated my enthusiasm even more, if that could be possible!

Well some say I'm lazy
And others say that's just me
Some say I'm crazy
I guess I'll always be

12.2.06 Target Center
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: