Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:49:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The "don?t say anything" contract
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "don?t say anything" contract  (Read 6315 times)
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2007, 09:27:16 AM »

i dont think this was a verbal contract  hihi

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2007, 11:52:45 AM »

i dont think this was a verbal contract

What contract?
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 08:24:52 PM »

i dont think this was a verbal contract

What contract?

don?t tell me you didn?t read about this all this years ppbebe

Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 04:15:02 AM »

I doubt the contract exists (at least not in the form we are speculating)
Just look at the "merck incident".
Merck spoke freely about the issues that involved him, but yet he chose not to reveal anything else.
I guess morals and ethics are what prevent people from talking.... nothing else.
After all, many people have spoken, beltrami, and other parties involved... but they didnt know much to begin with.

Finck, Fortus,... probably chose to keep quiet because they dont want to look like liers, by making statements that may not end up happening in the end.

Just take a look at Dizzy and Stinson. By the 2003-04 those guys were the only sources of informations... giving us info on the album state, and posible release months...
I guess they found out that they cant say anything for a fact so they keep quiet.

I remember reading in 2002 an article with stinson when he said that he's all done with recording, and so did brain.
People automatically assumed that the album is soon to be finished... 5 years later, look at us.

I wish we would get better info, on what songs they are working on, what details they are finishing... etc.etc.
that would make the wait much more easier, and much more interesting, than plainly speculating, bashing, and bitching.

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 05:04:34 AM »

this is music.
I dont remember programmers having fans, or being respected about their art.
and in the end, they still talk about their projects, share interesting facts, their discoveries, etc, etc.

I am a programmer, and I am respected for my art.  Although I am not programming when I make my art.   But theres also people who like my programming talents and contract me for that.

Axl has always liked to have that mystery about him.   Its no different really than before.    That letter he wrote the fans a couple months back was the most open thing he's ever written.
quarky
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 05:59:13 AM »

I think most contracts would have a legally binding period. For example, if you are working on an album that is expected to take two years to make, there is no point to stop people talking about it for longer than say, four years. After all, an employee should be able to give details of what they actually performed while working, and, there is little reason fror the artists/label to hide the details of the development and progress once the album is already out.
JeDr
Headliner

All the love in the world couldn't save you...

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 06:09:40 AM »

Think there's just some mutual agreement amongs the bandmembers not to discuss it yet. If everyone would be talking about the album already, all hopes would get to high and -as the past proved- nothing is certain. Guess there are lots of things surrounding the creative process that delaying the thing. They are also trying many things and nobody was sure what would end up being on the album. So lots of uncertainties keep them form talking about it instead of talking a lot and saying things that in the end turn out not to be true.
I really believe we will hear a great deal about the creative process once the album hits the shelves as being part of the promo. I'm sure the band wants to let us know certain things that they just cannot do yet.

There are 40 million sheep in New Zealand...and they're PISSED OFF!!
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 12:42:21 PM »

I don't know, Dizzy told me in 2004 that all the vocals were done and so was the music.  I assume he wasn't under 'gag' orders.  Then again Axl probably has a tendency to re-record and perfect things.  Fortus told me that when Axl held up the phone to the practice on Trunks show in may, that it was him playing lead and not the new guy.

These guys aren't totally gagged.  I assume that they probably don't want to say much until its finished because things change often.
February
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 04:14:40 PM »

Considering the way things get distorted by media and fans and the fact that Axl preatty much like to keep is privite life, privite, (and some other members of the band too, Brain and Robin for instance) i wouldn't find surprising that a lot of the people working for the band have cofidential agreaments, why put that much pressure on their heads?
Warchild
Rocker

Shine on you Crazy Diamond...!!!

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2007, 03:25:51 AM »

Usually it?s not part of the job to talk about what you?re working on....

It goes in most jobs. It?s usually not appreciated if you talk about current projects with outsiders. You could be a doctor, a programmer, an engineer or a record producer...

If you?re a programmer and start telling everybody what you?re currenty working on, you?d be without a job pretty soon and would probably find it hard to get a new job once everybody knew you love to talk....

You don?t need contracts, it?s common sense.

CORRECTAMUNDO!.....otherwise known as a "gag" order...............Excellent observation!

and for those of you who don't agree..."the whine, moan, bitch, gripe, and complain endlessly" Club is Still Open!!! crying rant Join Now!!

Friends do NOT equal Fans...........sad but TRUE! (yeah I copped that off Metallica....sue me)

warchild

« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 03:27:36 AM by Warchild » Logged

"It takes Less than Death to Kill a Man
and I'm so sick of dying;
Days of sunshine nights of rain
Doesn't matter when you're crying

Tell me how to make things right
tell the truth from lies..
W
freddiebrph
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2007, 10:48:57 AM »

^ Ouch. Jarmo disses Velvet Revolver.

I wouldn't consider him saying different band , different stuation as him dissing the band. They ARE a different band in a much DIFFERENT situation.? ?Wink

You are right, VR makes and releases new music. That is what bands do.
Tatu
Rocker

God

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2007, 12:49:15 PM »

Why they can't tell any information? Axl neither

You really know who's Maradona!
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2007, 01:38:18 PM »

why has this subject popped up again?  This is extremely normal.

No one in Linkin Park is talking about their new album.

No one at Disney is talking about Pirates 3.

No one from Lost is allowed to talk about secrets of the Island.

No one in the Halo camp is talking about Halo 3.

No on who works for JK Rowling can talk about the next Harry Potter.

Get it?

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
Tatu
Rocker

God

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2007, 03:24:28 PM »

why has this subject popped up again?? This is extremely normal.

Get it?

13 years without saying anything? Roll Eyes

You really know who's Maradona!
acompleteunknown
Rocker

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2007, 04:06:42 PM »

The time between Return of the Jedi and Phantom Menace was 16 years.  No one spoke during that time either.

It hasn't been 14 years of silence....We've heard 10 songs in that time.  official releases, leaks and boots.  Axl wrote a very detailed letter recently giving us more information than we deserved.  What more do you want?

bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2007, 04:13:48 PM »

It goes in most jobs. It?s usually not appreciated if you talk about current projects with outsiders. You could be a doctor, a programmer, an engineer or a record producer...

If you?re a programmer and start telling everybody what you?re currenty working on, you?d be without a job pretty soon and would probably find it hard to get a new job once everybody knew you love to talk....

You don?t need contracts, it?s common sense.

/jarmo

First off, I have no problems with GnR keeping things so quiet. ?It's their perogative to do so, and all the "behind-the-scenes" stuff is ultimately none of my business, nor am I entitled to much more than enjoying their music, buying GnR products, and supporting them with my wallet if I choose to do so.

Furthermore, I agree with your comments about many jobs having an inherent, if not formal, confidentiality component that is an essentail requirement of the job. ?Doctors, teachers, etc., all can meet with severe legal reprecussions (and they should) for speaking "out of school" and violating various ethical and legal confidences.

That said, GnR are a band, and they are part of the entertainment / music industry. ?Gossip, behind the scenes information, etc. are all part of that world. ?It's not that the public has a right to know what goes on - they don't - but it is far more common and acceptable to both want to know details that shouldn't get out, and to become engrossed in them when those details do come out in the world of music, pop culture, and entertainment.

Even more, it's an industry that typically doesn't have anything more than an informal or unspoken vibe of "it's not cool to discuss band stuff outside of the band." ?Are there legal reprecussions for doing so in the music industry? ?When it comes to band members and their places in a band (not talking about mangers, lawyers, labels, etc.), there is virtually little or no precedent for band members having any type of "gag order," and even less in terms of accountability. ?And, as we all have seen in the past, "common sense" is often nowhere to be found when it comes to speaking out of turn in the press.

Which is why the secrecy and silence of GnR is a magnet for so many. ?Rumors are everywhere, and - true or not - the total silence only further fuels many of those rumors. ?Clearly, it would be asinine for the band to any way respond, or to feel any sort of obligation to address them. ?Assuming any of this "contract" stuff is true, I can't blame Axl one bit for wanting to ensure that private matters remain private, that the public judge the band by their music and performances rather than anything that has gone on in private over the years, and hold band members accountable if they cross any lines.  But that doesn't make it any less unusual to do so, as it appers far from common practice for most bands/musicians these days.

But to get back on point, I think there are significant differences between professions that have legally-required confidentiallity components (doctors, teachers, lawyers, etc.), and those of muscians playing in bands. ?Like I said, though, just because GnR may be in the vast minority for keeping things so quiet for so long, doesn't make then wrong for doing so. ?Just very, very different.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 04:42:52 PM by bazgnr » Logged
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2007, 04:49:41 PM »

why has this subject popped up again?? This is extremely normal.

Get it?

No, honestly.? I don't get it.? The things you mention - Pirates 3, Halo 3, Harry Potter, etc. - those are all continuing parts of an ongoing story with characters, plot points, and surprises that can all be ruined in advance.? Why would anyone involved with them want to discuss details?? It's idiotic to think that writers/developers would want the story ruined in advance, as they want people to buy tickets or watch their shows.? ?When it comes to stories and sequels, you're right - secrecy *is* normal.

When it comes to records and music, though?? I think such secrecy is far less common.? In fact, most bands go out of their way to talk about their in-progress album to generate buzz and get people talking.?

In that respect, I'm not sure your Linkin Park example holds up:
http://www.nme.com/news/linkin-park/26189
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 06:34:51 PM by bazgnr » Logged
acompleteunknown
Rocker

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2007, 06:18:12 PM »

No, honestly.  I don't get it.  The things you mention - Pirates 3, Halo 3, Harry Potter, etc. - those are all continuing parts of an ongoing story with characters, plot points, and surprises that can all be ruined in advance.  Why would anyone involved with them want to discuss details?  It's idiotic to that that writers/developers would want the story ruined in advance, as they want people to buy tickets or watch their shows.   When it comes to stories and sequels, you're right - secrecy *is* normal.

When it comes to records and music, though?  I think such secrecy is far less common.  In fact, most bands go out of their way to talk about their in-progress album to generate buzz and get people talking. 

In that respect, I'm not sure your Linkin Park example holds up:
http://www.nme.com/news/linkin-park/26189

There was no information in that article.  Basically all they did was allude to a possible release date.  That's the exact same thing GNR has done.

Your sequel thing is correct.  And that's what GNR is.  GNR isn't a debut artist.  It's GNR.  Chinese Democracy is their 6th album.  We know the name of the album, names of songs, the names of the players on the record, the names of the producers.  We know that they are mixing.  That's a lot of information.  All we don't know is an official release date. 

But if that's all you want...then fine...here's a new release date:  Tuesday May 29th, 2007.  Happy now?

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2007, 07:14:23 PM »

But I think Axl takes it to a whole other level.  VR's making another record right now, and you can find video blogs and updates about it.  In interviews they talk about their producers, the record's style and what they hope to accomplish.  That kind of stuff means a lot to their fans.  I wish Axl could understand that better.

(I'm not really one of them, for the record.  I like those guys (except Scott), and I'll always follow their careers, but Contraband doesn't exactly fill me with hope for Libertad)

VR gave us some clips nothing spectacular, with 10second clips of the new songs, some tracks names painted in a wall, and a provisory website wich has nothing special.

GNR gave us  4 new song leaks, studio rough mixes, lots of track names (options in the setlists, posted at gunsnroses.com, and some official websites from related people [beltrami, brian may, etc] with more names...) and some website wich has nothing special.

I don't see extreme differences about chinese teasers and libertad teasers

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: