Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:30:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  High School Herpes
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: High School Herpes  (Read 2929 times)
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« on: January 30, 2007, 06:03:49 PM »

Should I feel bad for laughing out loud when I saw this story?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/wrestle/2007-01-30-minnesota-wrestling_x.htm

Herpes outbreak suspends high school wrestling in Minnesota

Updated 1/30/2007 4:12 PM ET    

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) ? High school wrestling was suspended Tuesday across Minnesota due to a widespread outbreak of a skin infection.

The Minnesota State High School League said 24 cases of herpes gladiatorum have been reported by 10 teams. The virus is spread by skin-to-skin contact. Symptoms have included lesions on the face, head and neck of wrestlers.

The league banned competitions and direct contact between wrestlers in practice until Feb. 6.

The suspension is meant to control the current outbreak, allow time to diagnose new cases and prevent disqualifications at the state tournament, scheduled for Feb. 28-March 3.

The Minnesota Department of Health has been tracking the virus, caused by herpes simplex type 1, the same strain that causes cold sores.

Officials first became aware of the outbreak at a tournament held in Rochester in late December.

Scot Davis, who coaches wrestling at Owatonna High School, has been involved in wrestling in Minnesota for more than 40 years and says he can't remember the league completely shutting down.

Davis' team, which gets doctor checkups several times a week, competed at the Rochester tournament where the outbreak was first detected, yet none of his wrestlers have been infected.

He applauds the suspension.

"I think it's a bold step," he said. "How else are you going to get this thing cleared up? How do I explain to a mom that her kid has herpes forever?"

Steve Larsen, wrestling coach at Century High School in Rochester, said his team will miss three competitions because of the eight-day suspension.

"It's going to make scheduling interesting," he said. "I hope some of it will get rescheduled."

The Century team has had no skin problems this year, Larsen said. But in the past, when a few of his wrestlers came down with ringworm, his team was suspended from practice and competition as a precaution.

Infected wrestlers have to sit out matches and get cleared by doctors before they can resume wrestling, he said.

Dr. B.J. Anderson, a former wrestler who acts as a health adviser to the high school league, blames the outbreak on doctors who have been misdiagnosing and inappropriately treating the viral infections as bacterial ones.

"(Doctors) are not doing the right tests," he said.

Anderson said the greatest concern is an infection of the eye, which can, in rare cases, lead to scarring or blindness. The virus can remain in a body indefinitely, he said.

A similar outbreak occurred in 1999, affecting 63 wrestlers and disqualifying several of them from the state tournament, Anderson said.

Dr. Henry Balfour, a national expert on herpes who works in the department of virology at the University of Minnesota, said wrestlers are at a higher risk for this sort of infection than other people because of the nature of the sport.

"Usually you have to have damage to the skin," he said. "If there is a break in the skin, ... then the virus could take and cause a skin infection."

Balfour said the virus is not fatal but is a detrimental nuisance that can recur.

Such outbreaks are common in the wrestling world, frequently occurring at summer camps, he said.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 06:24:53 PM »

wow  hihi

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 06:28:46 PM »

That fucking sucks for the other wrestlers who didn't know. I certainly wouldn't laugh... but I guess I can see the humor in it.

Just sounds fucking crappy to me. Imagine playing a sport you enjoy and getting some nasty disease like that without even being aware AND you have it for your whole life. Bummer.  no

gnrevolution.com
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 07:27:31 PM »

rofl yeah that is a little funny yes

peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 10:34:45 PM »

I laughed when I saw that today, as I live in MN. I hate the wrestlers at my school, they're so cocky n' full of their selves. I had to laugh 'cause the ones I see are fuckin' pricks.

One half of Rock n' Rolls Cheech & Chong.
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 11:26:35 PM »

I laughed when I saw that today, as I live in MN. I hate the wrestlers at my school, they're so cocky n' full of their selves. I had to laugh 'cause the ones I see are fuckin' pricks.

all the wrestlers at my school are just gay, i say they like to do it 'cause they secretly want to touch other men  hihi Tongue

unless your like professional shit like ECW or WWE then your cool course i guess you gotta start some where.

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 11:33:46 PM »

yeah, i know a few pricks at my school, but they're not all wrestlers.

This story does kind of suck though. Pretty sad.
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 08:15:26 PM »

This year, one of 'em popped a boner in a match.

Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 09:27:51 AM »

i gues you hate jocks in general?

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
slash666
On The Edge Of Seventeen
Legend

The REAL Champ Is Here!

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 02:36:14 PM »

why were you looking?  Tongue

The Squared Circle

Join The Revolution!
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 05:21:31 PM »

I wrestled in middle school and never did it again.

My main complaint was finding my face in an armpit at times or getting accidentally groped.

This is one sport where a gay person ( or straight person pretending they are gay)  can have a big advantage if their opponent is homophobic.  hihi

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 05:28:07 PM »

i gues you hate jocks in general?
Not all of 'em.

why were you looking?  Tongue

I wasn't. A kid on the team told me about it.

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 05:31:06 PM »

sounds like owned to me.

html sucks
JohnMorrison73
Banned
VIP

CRIME SCENE SLUNK

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 08:29:46 PM »

hihi