Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:08:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Music Review: Gilby Clarke - Gilby Clarke
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Music Review: Gilby Clarke - Gilby Clarke  (Read 3457 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: January 31, 2007, 05:23:15 PM »

Written by Chris Beaumont

Published January 31, 2007

Striking while the iron is hot, Gilby Clarke is releasing a collection of his past work in an apparent effort to cash in on the recent success of Rockstar: Supernova. Not a bad idea, if you ask me, and yes I know you didn't. It is a pretty good way to get introduced to Gilby outside of what you have seen on the show, or may have seen during his tenure with Guns N' Roses. I have to be honest in that the only recording I had ever heard from Gilby was GNR's The Spaghetti Incident and some live Guns material. This is my first exposure to him as a solo artist.

Gilby Clarke is a 14-song compilation culled from his work from 1994 through 2002. The albums that were mined are Swag, Rubber, The Hangover, Pawnshop Guitars, and the collaboration with Stray Cat Slim Jim Phantom and Tracii Guns - Col. Parker's Rock n' Roll Music. Also included is a new version of "Black," from his initial solo release, this time featuring Rockstar: Supernova runner-up Dilana.

As I listened to the album, I cannot claim to be blown away by anything that is included here. Still, there is a satisfaction gleaned from the solid rock tracks. The collection is peppered with Southern rock flavor, touches of punk and country, and finished with straight up rock and roll. There is some nice songwriting, nice riffing, and some decent leads. This more or less cements Gilby as a talented gunslinger, though I hesitate to call myself a fan. There are bits that I liked and moments that kicked it up, but, again, it was just a little too down-the-middle solid. He is versatile and can conform his playing to a few different sounds without being out of place. He is better than the "he's just Izzy's replacement" kind of attitude I had towards him for some time.

The album kicks off with the hardest rocker of the bunch, "Cure Me... or Kill Me." I love the opening to the song, with the morose notes leading into the high energy riff. The meat of the album is highlighted by the country flavored "Skin n' Bones," the upbeat piano tinged "It's Good Enough for Rock n' Roll," the attitude injected "Punk Rock Pollution," and the southern blues of "Bourbon Street Blues."

Gilby Clarke steams towards its conclusion with a track that made me think I was listening to Soul Asylum, "I'm Nobody." Seriously, it would have sounded right at home next to Soul Asylum's "Misery." Then there is one of my favorite cuts, "Alien," a song where everything just seems to fall into place.

Special mention to the Dilana-fronted "Black," which just sounds great. While I never watched Supernova, she is the better frontperson than that Lukas guy. I am glad that she was at least able to record this cut with Gilby. Also, the Col. Parker tracks are quite good, particularly "Can't Get That Stuff."

Bottomline. All in all, this is a pretty good album. Not enough to make a Gilby fan, but enough to show me some of the skills that he possesses. This album collects some good songs that span a variety of styles and delivers some rock.

Mildly Recommended.

Review: http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/01/31/164031.php

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
slash&axl
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 11:16:22 PM »

track list?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 11:35:15 PM »

"Gilby Clarke" track listing:

01. Cure Me Or Kill Me
02. Tijuana Jail
03. Black
04. Skin N' Bones
05. Wasn't Yesterday Great?
06. It's Good Enough For Rock'n'Roll
07. Punk Rock Pollution
08. Kilroy Was Here
09. Bourbon Street Blues
10. Can't Get That Stuff
11. Dropping Out
12. I'm Nobody
13. Alien
14. Judgement Day

Communist China
Banned
VIP

All the ladies are welcome to my jungle!

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 11:37:36 PM »

Not liking the track selection from the Hangover. Don't have the albums after that.

I agree with the review mostly from the 2 Gilby albums I own. It's good but never wowing.

that makes you a nut swinger. Deal with it.? ok
Tatu
Rocker

God

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 11:39:36 PM »

It's missin' "Dead Flowers" in that CD compilation.

You really know who's Maradona!
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 03:59:36 AM »

im glad it has judgement day, my favorite gilby track

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
lastroots
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 07:23:59 AM »

It's missin' "Dead Flowers" in that CD compilation.

It's a cover, that's why it isn't on there. I really like it. I'm a fan. I have all his records, inluding the Japan-only EP "Blooze". I'd have chosen a slightly different song selection at some points, but I like it.

/lastroots
Miggy
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 05:02:43 AM »

Not liking the track selection from the Hangover. Don't have the albums after that.

I agree with the review mostly from the 2 Gilby albums I own. It's good but never wowing.

You might want to consider listening to Swag, his latest.  It's really good, his best one if you ask me ...
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 02:03:26 PM »

FYI, It's good enough for Rock n Roll features Roberta Freeman on background vocals, one of the backup singers on the UYI tour-she does a nice job on the song

libertad
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 11:05:34 AM »

Music Reviews

Album Review: Gilby Clarke ? ?Gilby Clarke?

Clarke has an amazing ability to move from one musical style to another with ease.

By Bill James Mar 5, 2007, 14:00 GMT

No doubt metal heads are familiar with Gilby Clarke?s extensive resume.  From guitarist and song-writer to producer, Gilby Clarke is a busy man trying to make up for some lost, ?hazy? years ? if you catch my meaning.  But for the novice rocker, Clarke?s upcoming eponymous greatest hits album is the perfect introduction to a guitarist whose been kicking the rock world in the ass for over two decades.

Gilby Clarke has been featured in such groups as Guns N? Roses.  Taking over after Izzy Stradlin bolted, Clarke held-on throughout the Use Your Illusion Tour and recorded ?The Spaghetti Incident,? and ?Greatest Hits? before Axl lost control of Axl.  He?s also recorded with Michael Jackson, Jeff Beck, Duff McKagan, Slash, and Lenny Kravitz to name a few.  And if you?ve missed the T.V. hullabaloo, Gilby Clarke is also part of Tommy Lee?s super group, Rock Star Supernova.

But Clarke is more than just a hired-gun guitarist; he?s also produced some scorching tracks for L.A. Guns and The Bronx.  Clarke is a man of remarkable talent on both sides of the microphone and seems ready to continue challenging himself with new projects.

His soon to be released self-titled greatest hits album is a collection of Clarke?s hits from the early-90?s to the present. The albums represented include: ?Pawnshop Guitars,? ?The Hangover,? ?Swag,? and ?Rubber.?  The album offers a wonderful cross-section of Gilby?s work from his metal sound, his blues, and his softer, introspective work.

And it?s that versatility that is the real beauty of Gilby Clarke.  He has an amazing ability to move from one musical style to another with ease.  I prefer his blues tracks like ?Bourbon St. Blues? and ?Can?t Get That Stuff.?  But his rock moves from the soulful ?Black? featuring Dilana to ?It?s Good Enough For Rock n? Roll? which resounds with the southern rock/honky-tonk style of Lynard Skynard.

Clarke also has a sense of humor and enough balls to roundly mock the entire punk movement in ?Punk Rock Pollution,? in which he pokes fun at the deceased Sid Vicious, The Clash, and New York Dolls. On the last track, ?Judgement Day,? Clarke asks, as we all do at some point, if he?ll be remembered when he?s gone and if any of his efforts matter.  Not to worry Gilby, while much of the applause and foolishness of youth was a waste, you?ve created and added much to the musical consciousness.

So what?s my final word, this is an album for any and all rock fans who sometimes forget what the music is all about.  The heart of this album is rock because the heart of Gilby Clarke is rock.

?Gilby Clarke? is now available at Amazon.

http://music.monstersandcritics.com/reviews/article_1272856.php/Album_Review_Gilby_Clarke_%96_%91Gilby_Clarke%92

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: