Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 06:52:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Gunsnroses.com updated with CD update
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gunsnroses.com updated with CD update  (Read 77917 times)
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #460 on: February 27, 2007, 12:49:42 PM »

How could it have happened if it takes 8 weeks to release after it has been turned into the record company.

If the album was able to be finished in one day, BBF and Frank recorded everything in one day, it still had to be mixed.  Mixing of a record this size takes at least a month, if it could be done in a week wouldnt the album be turned into the record company by now?  Im just wondering how it could possibly happen mathematically, not trying to be a dick, but if you add up the days March 6th was not possible.  8 weeks, +mixing time= past march 6th.  So even if they started mixing on January 1 (which clearly wasnt planned or possible) they still wouldnt have made March 6th.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #461 on: February 27, 2007, 12:51:31 PM »

How exactly do you know that?

Who told you the original schedule for the recording and mixing?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #462 on: February 27, 2007, 12:54:25 PM »

Axl said they had to go do minor touches to the album, obviously recording wasnt finished.  As you said there are mixing engineers who do the mixing, so if recording was finished there was no reason to cancel the tour.  So clearly at the time of the release mixing had not been started. Axl's own words were 8 weeks from when the album is turned in.  I have searched for major albums being mixed in less than 3 weeks and cant find any examples, maybe they are out there, but the vast majority take over a month.  On this time scale, how could March 6 be possible?  I just dont see how the math would work.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #463 on: February 27, 2007, 12:54:42 PM »

^ axl also mentioned unforseen delays in the same sentance as march 6th hihi

pretty amazing that 3 months later there was actually delays Shocked rofl

anyway i'm past that just saying i never beleived the march 6th date....hopefully the mixing goes smoothly and we'll have a firm reelase date soon...regardless in the mean time some fans that have never seen gnr will get to watch the band live in japan and africa and wherever else shows have been scheduled.

i'm taking this a day at a time now, if a release date isnt announce today i'll check back tommorrow and maybe I'll get lucky.... hihi peace

axlrose4eva1.....i think 8 weeks before march 6th was Jan 9th...but yeah anyway, they had from say march 21-march 23...then jan 2nd to jan 9th....like 9 days or something to finish it up....

@ jarmo...just common sense based on peoples normal holiday schedules...who really does anything between dec24th and jan2nd?

AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #464 on: February 27, 2007, 12:59:31 PM »

Still mixing would have to be done by the 9th, that would be nuts.  Hell I hope Axl has a way to mix the entire album in a few days, but so far Ive seen no examples (especially of albums with techno/synths) that have been mixed and mastered in less than 3 weeks.  Im not saying what Axl did was wrong, but I dont think its possible to believe that March 6th was a possible date at the time of the announcement, at least i cant figure out how the math works.
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #465 on: February 27, 2007, 01:09:52 PM »

Actually I know for a fact that Frank and BBF were recording parts in mid january.? Even if they recorded the day the tour ended, the album still needed to be mixed and mastered before being turned in.? Axl says it takes 8 weeks from being turned in.? Its simple math.? If Frank and BBF recorded for even one day, lets say January 7th, at best mixing would be finished February, 8 weeks from then is April.? Recording new parts made it impossible to get a march 6th date.? I think Axl knew when he made his statements he was going to record new parts.

It isnt speculation at all to say that BBF and Frank were recroding well into january, mixing takes a month, even on non complex albums.? Rush recorded an album in 3 weeks, mixing still took a month.? March 6 was a well strategized midway point imo, he probably figured he would have an actual date by then.

i see your point. you may well be right. but it is speculatie to say that axl new i would be this way all along, as, like i say, we dont know what has held things up since the statemment, or what del is refering to in his statement.

by the by, how do we know that the were recording in january?

I would'nt do that if I were you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #466 on: February 27, 2007, 01:12:58 PM »

Still mixing would have to be done by the 9th, that would be nuts.  Hell I hope Axl has a way to mix the entire album in a few days, but so far Ive seen no examples (especially of albums with techno/synths) that have been mixed and mastered in less than 3 weeks.  Im not saying what Axl did was wrong, but I dont think its possible to believe that March 6th was a possible date at the time of the announcement, at least i cant figure out how the math works.

Just a point:

You're assuming NONE of the tracks were finished and mixed when applying that "one month" timeline.

The truth is, we don't know what's been finished or not finished, mixed or not mixed.  The "one month" process you're referring to assumes that you go right from recording ALL the material/tracks to mix.  We're not sure that's the case with CD, given the length of time the recording process took.

For a point of reference:  Axl announced the UYI albums have been finished, recording wise, about 6 weeks prior to their release.  If you look at the UYI credits, you'll see mixing was done all over the place,  probably at varying times....not in one straight shot on all the material at once.  That way, once the last tracks were done, only the mastering on THOSE tracks needed to be completed.  Could be the same with CD (or not).  We just don't know.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #467 on: February 27, 2007, 01:14:43 PM »

Hell I hope Axl has a way to mix the entire album in a few days,

What makes you assume that the entire album was to be mixed then?

edit damn pilferk you beat me.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #468 on: February 27, 2007, 01:17:39 PM »

Still mixing would have to be done by the 9th, that would be nuts.? Hell I hope Axl has a way to mix the entire album in a few days, but so far Ive seen no examples (especially of albums with techno/synths) that have been mixed and mastered in less than 3 weeks.? Im not saying what Axl did was wrong, but I dont think its possible to believe that March 6th was a possible date at the time of the announcement, at least i cant figure out how the math works.

Just a point:

You're assuming NONE of the tracks were finished and mixed when applying that "one month" timeline.

The truth is, we don't know what's been finished or not finished, mixed or not mixed.? The "one month" process you're referring to assumes that you go right from recording ALL the material/tracks to mix.? We're not sure that's the case with CD, given the length of time the recording process took.

For a point of reference:? Axl announced the UYI albums have been finished, recording wise, about 6 weeks prior to their release.? If you look at the UYI credits, you'll see mixing was done all over the place,? probably at varying times....not in one straight shot on all the material at once.? That way, once the last tracks were done, only the mastering on THOSE tracks needed to be completed.? Could be the same with CD (or not).? We just don't know.

good points pilferk....but i still dunno...IMO march 6th was a long shot at best...the only one it can hurt is axl's rep cuz media outlets immediately posted stories saying CD would be out for sure....wrong info but still why give media another reason to hate on the band and axl Undecided

spyder8739
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #469 on: February 27, 2007, 01:19:02 PM »

How about everyone chill out and patiently wait to hear official news before assumptions are made... Just an idea. Shocked

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #470 on: February 27, 2007, 01:19:38 PM »

How about everyone chill out and patiently wait to hear official news before assumptions are made... Just an idea. Shocked

cuz if we dont talk about something then the board becomes really boring hihi

spyder8739
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #471 on: February 27, 2007, 01:21:05 PM »

Touch?.  Grin
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #472 on: February 27, 2007, 01:22:09 PM »

The leaked tracks is what makes me assume that mixing has not been finished. ?If mixing had been finished or a majority had been done then you still have to record new tracks, mix it and get that done by january 9th? ?BBF was recording well into January it was posted several times. ?However, lets say he didnt plan on BBF and Frank recording parts, and the album was mostly mixed, then we should have a release date in a day or two, since I doubt the mixing process moved backwards. ?So I think the mixing time now will show how much was actually done, based on the leaks I would guess mixing was barely started.  If mixing was almost dont, and all that was needed to do was record BBF and Franks parts then this album should be mastered and turned in by now.
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #473 on: February 27, 2007, 01:22:36 PM »

Hell I hope Axl has a way to mix the entire album in a few days,

What makes you assume that the entire album was to be mixed then?

edit damn pilferk you beat me.
Still mixing would have to be done by the 9th, that would be nuts. Hell I hope Axl has a way to mix the entire album in a few days, but so far Ive seen no examples (especially of albums with techno/synths) that have been mixed and mastered in less than 3 weeks. Im not saying what Axl did was wrong, but I dont think its possible to believe that March 6th was a possible date at the time of the announcement, at least i cant figure out how the math works.

Just a point:

The truth is, we don't know what's been finished or not finished, mixed or not mixed. The "one month" process you're referring to assumes that you go right from recording ALL the material/tracks to mix. We're not sure that's the case with CD, given the length of time the recording process took.

For a point of reference: Axl announced the UYI albums have been finished, recording wise, about 6 weeks prior to their release. If you look at the UYI credits, you'll see mixing was done all over the place, probably at varying times....not in one straight shot on all the material at once. That way, once the last tracks were done, only the mastering on THOSE tracks needed to be completed. Could be the same with CD (or not). We just don't know.

i second the above posts! or 3rd pilferks post, as the case may be.

I would'nt do that if I were you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #474 on: February 27, 2007, 01:26:15 PM »

good points pilferk....but i still dunno...IMO march 6th was a long shot at best...the only one it can hurt is axl's rep cuz media outlets immediately posted stories saying CD would be out for sure....wrong info but still why give media another reason to hate on the band and axl Undecided

I agree, March 6th was ambitious, given what we know of the timeline Axl laid out.  I don't think it was impossilbe, but it would have been difficult and everything would have had to have fallen into place perfectly.  Honestly, in GnR history, how often does THAT happen?

I'm not sure it hurts his rep so long as we get continued updates and something concrete in the very near future....

Together again,
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #475 on: February 27, 2007, 01:27:39 PM »

Just a point:

The truth is, we don't know what's been finished or not finished, mixed or not mixed.  The "one month" process you're referring to assumes that you go right from recording ALL the material/tracks to mix.  We're not sure that's the case with CD, given the length of time the recording process took.

For a point of reference:  Axl announced the UYI albums have been finished, recording wise, about 6 weeks prior to their release.  If you look at the UYI credits, you'll see mixing was done all over the place,  probably at varying times....not in one straight shot on all the material at once.  That way, once the last tracks were done, only the mastering on THOSE tracks needed to be completed.  Could be the same with CD (or not).  We just don't know.

If so why should axl himself have tried to risk his own rep? the answer is no he didn't. He set the tentative date only because it seemed possible then.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #476 on: February 27, 2007, 01:33:29 PM »

The leaked tracks is what makes me assume that mixing has not been finished.  If mixing had been finished or a majority had been done then you still have to record new tracks, mix it and get that done by january 9th?  BBF was recording well into January it was posted several times.  However, lets say he didnt plan on BBF and Frank recording parts, and the album was mostly mixed, then we should have a release date in a day or two, since I doubt the mixing process moved backwards.  So I think the mixing time now will show how much was actually done, based on the leaks I would guess mixing was barely started.  If mixing was almost dont, and all that was needed to do was record BBF and Franks parts then this album should be mastered and turned in by now.

The leaked tracks are YEARS old, now...and not really evidence of anything in '07.  Even the more recent leak of Better (has it been decided if it's different or just cleaned...I haven't followed?) doesn't exactly have a date/time stamp on it to tell us when it was mixed.  Any attempts to categorically say the leaks were "mixed" at a certain time is a stretch...all we know is they were mixed prior to them leaking.  That's pretty vague.

As for what BBF and Frank were recording, again, you're assuming ALL the recording they were doing was for tracks on CD.  That may, or may not, be the case.  In addition, maybe recording for them took longer than Axl thought it would.  Maybe they got in studio, Axl liked what he heard, and decided to record even more, replacing tracks that already existed..  Again, you're saying the date he knew, in DECEMBER, that the date he gave was incorrect.   What happened, or didn't happen, in January is irrelevant to that point, unless you think Axl is clairvoyant.

Also, remember, Axl said "approximately 8 weeks" so shoving a hard line "january 9th" isn't accurate, either.  AROUND that date, given a few days, would be a more accurate picture. 

On the mixing, that's my point.  We just don't know.  Maybe most of the album was mixed, maybe not.  Maybe the additional material by BBF and Frank will make that process longer, maybe not. Maybe, maybe, maybe.  It's just an awful lot of maybes to base a "firm" opinion on, IMHO.  We'll have to wait and see how it plays out.  If we get a date within the next week or so, we'll know where the process was.  Same thing if we don't.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 01:39:48 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #477 on: February 27, 2007, 01:37:39 PM »

Also, remember, Axl said "approximately 8 weeks" so shoving a hard line "january 9th" isn't accurate, either.? AROUND that date, given a few days, would be a more accurate picture.?

Correct. Plus, when the CD is finished completely, it's not like Axl is going to be selling it the next day out of his garage.
The distribution, promotion and street date are pretty much out of his hands and up to the record label.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #478 on: February 27, 2007, 01:38:54 PM »

if new layers are added does the track need to be remixed? i'd think so. now we dont know what ron and frank recorded on or what axl added...or what is already mixed and what isnt...or even a track list....with a constant shuffling of tracks for the album would they really have completed, mixed songs that may not see the light of day for years or ever?

I guess cuz we dont know anything that i assumed that when mixing was finally brought up that i assumed that everythign needed to be mixed....also once the thing starts mixing isnt it more likely that leaks will happen? we havent heard of any leaks aside from the 3 or 4 songs and CITR is definately not mixed professionaly...and from mysteron's comment better isn't either...so i would guess that IRS and TWAT that leaked are also in rough mixing stagessince they seem to be from the same source. Anyway not sure where i'm going with this but since there is no leaks of finished songs then i'm guessing that either they have the tightest security ever on this album or no tracks are finished yet. Undecided

in short we dont really know anything so I assume the worst hihi but i'm jsut talking about it to talk about it and get everyones thoughts...not trying to start a rumor ?peace

If so why should axl himself have tried to risk his own rep? the answer is no he didn't. He set the tentative date only because it seemed possible then.

we'll jsut have to wait until next week to see how the music media reacts when march 6th passes with no GnR album in sight to see if its gonna affect his rep..unless we get some word "soon" like pilferk said i think it can't possibly be a good day for positive GnR news ?Undecided

Also, remember, Axl said "approximately 8 weeks" so shoving a hard line "january 9th" isn't accurate, either.  AROUND that date, given a few days, would be a more accurate picture. 

Correct. Plus, when the CD is finished completely, it's not like Axl is going to be selling it the next day out of his garage.
The distribution, promotion and street date are pretty much out of his hands and up to the record label.

i think the 8 weeks is refering to ..... from his hand to the store shelves

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #479 on: February 27, 2007, 01:43:29 PM »

I think even rock writers should know what tentative means. Otherwise they must start school again.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: