Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 08:10:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  TWAT Discussion - your opinions
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: TWAT Discussion - your opinions  (Read 152275 times)
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #1140 on: February 28, 2007, 11:31:31 AM »

As much as i want bumble on the cd, bucket needs to stay on TWAT....no doubt about it. I'm quite happy with bumble re-doing buckets solos on better, IRS etc. But bucket MAKES this song.

Have you listend 2 TWAT from madrid? bbf can IMO handle the solo great yes

Im almost certain it was Paul Buckmaster and not Marco who said TWAT was not "forgetable," but "weak" or something along thoses lines, in comparison to "Seven" or "Prostitute."

I thought Prostitute was a kick ass rocker.. why would they use composers like buckmaster on a rocker or am i wrong and P isn't a rocker?  Huh hope u get what i mean
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #1141 on: February 28, 2007, 11:33:21 AM »

As much as i want bumble on the cd, bucket needs to stay on TWAT....no doubt about it. I'm quite happy with bumble re-doing buckets solos on better, IRS etc. But bucket MAKES this song.

Im almost certain it was Paul Buckmaster and not Marco who said TWAT was not "forgetable," but "weak" or something along thoses lines, in comparison to "Seven" or "Prostitute."

I thought Prostitute was a kick ass rocker.. why would they use composers like buckmaster on a rocker or am i wrong and P isn't a rocker?? Huh hope u get what i mean

it's said to be "fire and ice"; so on some parts (fire? ice?) you can have orchestration...

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #1142 on: February 28, 2007, 11:36:57 AM »

I thought Prostitute was a kick ass rocker.. why would they use composers like buckmaster on a rocker or am i wrong and P isn't a rocker?? Huh hope u get what i mean

it's said to be "fire and ice"; so on some parts (fire? ice?) you can have orchestration...

oh yeah totally forgot about that quote, and yeah you're probably right, but damn i hoped for a kickass rocker since most of the songs yet is fairly slow and i wanna headbang and scream out the lyrics headbanger  hihi
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #1143 on: February 28, 2007, 11:40:54 AM »

I thought Prostitute was a kick ass rocker.. why would they use composers like buckmaster on a rocker or am i wrong and P isn't a rocker?  Huh hope u get what i mean

I know he can handle it but why would he re-record buckets part note for note? Bumble wouldn't do that anyway. It's gonna sound so much different, especially with the pinnacle of this song being the guitar solo. I just think that with the leaks it's gonna be hard to imagine anyone else playing the guitar parts because many of us have got so used to them.

Damn them leaks

Damn me being a DMF
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 11:43:12 AM by Jimmy? » Logged
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #1144 on: March 01, 2007, 06:20:39 AM »

I'm on the fence when it comes to TWAT..

There's some parts I like, but then some parts sound almost country-like to me... Not that there's anything wrong with that either (yeah I said it) but... it's left me with no impression, you know?

Dunno.. 'Better' freaked me out at first too (especially Axl's voice in the beginning of the song)  but now it's my favorite of all the new songs  love Maybe it just takes a while, you know, with some songs since it's 'not what I'm used to'.

Helsinki 05.07.2006. Helsinki 05.06.2010. Hämeenlinna 01.07.2017. 🔜 London 29.05.2020
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #1145 on: March 01, 2007, 07:13:49 AM »

YEH , all the new songs take a while to grow on you , but I loved catcher from the very start.

Chinese democracy,
Irs,
took the longest to grow on me

But twat, is bar none, the best fucking song together with better. Its a shame though, because it wont get alot of radio play (caus of the length), and yet
if you cut down the song to 3-4 minutes, all you are getting is the verse, and a bit of a solo. So perhaps, it will be on chinese democracy, regardless of the speculation it wont, because Twat with some raspy Axl lyrics would fucking kill it .

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
justynius
Rocker

« Reply #1146 on: March 01, 2007, 12:19:28 PM »

Here's the exact quote. Keep in mind these are coming from Sp1at - a fan site, not a professional news publication. So these quotes are to be taken with a grain of salt.....

http://www.sp1at.com/item.php?id=575

'TWAT', an acronym for 'There Was a Time', was not regarded as a memorable song by Paul Buckmaster, but it is a song that is personal to Axl, so is likely to feature on the new album.

And about 'Prostitute'....

'Prostitute' is likely to feature as one of the strongest tracks on the new Guns n'roses album. Although the roots of the song go back to the late 1990's, the meat of the song was actually only recorded in the last two-three years. Paul Buckmaster who did orchestration for the song told us "Prostitute is a mid-up, kind of biting, aggressive rhythm section; the way I wrote for the string section (32-piece, consisting of ten 1st Violins, eight 2nd Violins, six violas, and eight cellos) gives the song another dimension of, ice and fire, kind of powerful". Buckmaster also told us that 'Prostitute' was a 3-5 minute song

My personal opinion is that the first 2 min, 30 sec of TWAT are mediocre and the final 4 min are pretty much the best that rock music can hope to offer.
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #1147 on: March 01, 2007, 12:28:16 PM »

Here's the exact quote. Keep in mind these are coming from Sp1at - a fan site, not a professional news publication. So these quotes are to be taken with a grain of salt.....

http://www.sp1at.com/item.php?id=575

'TWAT', an acronym for 'There Was a Time', was not regarded as a memorable song by Paul Buckmaster, but it is a song that is personal to Axl, so is likely to feature on the new album.

And about 'Prostitute'....

'Prostitute' is likely to feature as one of the strongest tracks on the new Guns n'roses album. Although the roots of the song go back to the late 1990's, the meat of the song was actually only recorded in the last two-three years. Paul Buckmaster who did orchestration for the song told us "Prostitute is a mid-up, kind of biting, aggressive rhythm section; the way I wrote for the string section (32-piece, consisting of ten 1st Violins, eight 2nd Violins, six violas, and eight cellos) gives the song another dimension of, ice and fire, kind of powerful". Buckmaster also told us that 'Prostitute' was a 3-5 minute song

My personal opinion is that the first 2 min, 30 sec of TWAT are mediocre and the final 4 min are pretty much the best that rock music can hope to offer.

thanx.

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #1148 on: March 01, 2007, 08:45:56 PM »

I think the "fire and ice" quote was just a way to express the orchestration and the rhythm section of the songs kind of offsetting eachother and offering sort of a double impact, opposing dueling sounds that add to the power of the song.

And TWAT has never been my favorite of the new songs, but i have a lot of respect for it and think a studio version could be out of this world. Does anyone have a link to a good live performance? i'd like to hear bumble on it.
gmGnR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1149 on: March 01, 2007, 09:35:19 PM »

Interesting to see how people like different parts of the songs more than others...  For me, it's the way that Axl sings it that does it. Then you got that kinda slow & endless guitar slow that just sticks in your head. Love the song!

I went through about 15 pages of comments but didn't find the lyrics. Did anyone post his/her version of the lyrics? Thanks

Paris - 06/06/1992
Paris - 07/13/1993
NYC - 12/05/2002
NYC - 05/12/2006
NYC - 05/14/2006
NYC - 05/17/2006,
E. Rutherford - 11/05/2006
NYC - 11/10/2006
monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #1150 on: March 02, 2007, 06:22:34 AM »

I went through about 15 pages of comments but didn't find the lyrics. Did anyone post his/her version of the lyrics? Thanks

Theres a thread on it here:
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=25673.0
gmGnR
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1151 on: March 02, 2007, 11:32:24 AM »

Theres a thread on it here:
http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=25673.0

Thanks

Paris - 06/06/1992
Paris - 07/13/1993
NYC - 12/05/2002
NYC - 05/12/2006
NYC - 05/14/2006
NYC - 05/17/2006,
E. Rutherford - 11/05/2006
NYC - 11/10/2006
TAP
Banned
Rocker

March of the Pigs

« Reply #1152 on: March 02, 2007, 09:13:10 PM »

Listening to it on autorepeat tonight. Might be the best song ever written, though I might be drunk too  beer

Now doesn't that make you feel better?
The pigs have won tonight
Now they can all sleep soundly
And everything is all right
DoctorNo
Headliner

... but at least there's a reaction.

« Reply #1153 on: March 03, 2007, 03:51:23 PM »

I really love the first half of this song. I love the second half, too, but only as a coda to the first half. Without that context, it's a fairly repetitive (if well played) two or three minutes of wailing. Taken as a whole, the song builds nicely to a sustained climax.

The verse lyrics are haunting and evocative. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. But I especially enjoy the refrain, and I'm not sure why so many dislike it. It's the funkiest departure in any Guns epic. I think it's a nice - no, necessary - counterpoint to the drum & synth loop, similar to the way the guitar & drums crash down upon the synth in "Won't Get Fooled Again." It's a visceral evocation of the anger and frustration one can feel while trapped inside a stagnant relationship (romantic or otherwise), hypocritical society, or life in general - here expressed by the underlying loop - and I think that musical contrast syncs well with lyrical themes of the song.

The refrain really gives the song a kick, and keeps it from being pedestrian and predictable. "Predictable" is one quality the band is not in these new songs. Take out the refrain, or smooth it out, and I feel the song loses an important quality.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 03:55:17 PM by DoctorNo » Logged

I guess I'll keep it to myself.
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #1154 on: March 03, 2007, 04:43:11 PM »

I really love the first half of this song. I love the second half, too, but only as a coda to the first half. Without that context, it's a fairly repetitive (if well played) two or three minutes of wailing. Taken as a whole, the song builds nicely to a sustained climax.

The verse lyrics are haunting and evocative. I don't think anyone disagrees with that. But I especially enjoy the refrain, and I'm not sure why so many dislike it. It's the funkiest departure in any Guns epic. I think it's a nice - no, necessary - counterpoint to the drum & synth loop, similar to the way the guitar & drums crash down upon the synth in "Won't Get Fooled Again." It's a visceral evocation of the anger and frustration one can feel while trapped inside a stagnant relationship (romantic or otherwise), hypocritical society, or life in general - here expressed by the underlying loop - and I think that musical contrast syncs well with lyrical themes of the song.

The refrain really gives the song a kick, and keeps it from being pedestrian and predictable. "Predictable" is one quality the band is not in these new songs. Take out the refrain, or smooth it out, and I feel the song loses an important quality.

Took the words right outta my mouth  Wink
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #1155 on: March 03, 2007, 09:28:39 PM »

Totallly in love with this song right now. drool
Gunner17
Rocker

What we got here is...

« Reply #1156 on: March 03, 2007, 10:35:03 PM »

I like this song so much more than any other leaks. Yes, "Better" included.
Ganja4Life
Banned
VIP

Peace,Love,Guns N' Roses

« Reply #1157 on: March 04, 2007, 12:38:01 PM »

same here peace

Hi,my name's Dakota
I like Guns N' Roses
They're my favorite band
icpillusions
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1158 on: March 04, 2007, 12:59:54 PM »

same here peace

Definately. The version with Bucket owns. 
Ganja4Life
Banned
VIP

Peace,Love,Guns N' Roses

« Reply #1159 on: March 04, 2007, 01:04:16 PM »

same here peace

Definately. The version with Bucket owns.?

theres another version Shocked

Hi,my name's Dakota
I like Guns N' Roses
They're my favorite band
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: