Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:45:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227821 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  VR: April 27 in LA
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VR: April 27 in LA  (Read 18980 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2007, 12:39:19 PM »

Nobody from the band mentioned Axl, the crowd did...

It's inevitable either way, I would expect Slash gets a mention by fans at any and every GNR/Axl related event as well.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2007, 12:41:52 PM »

It's inevitable either way, I would expect Slash gets a mention by fans at any and every GNR/Axl related event as well.

Apparently not, according to Jarmo. 
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2007, 01:14:32 PM »

I just got back form the show about a half hour ago and I'm still pumped. They only played 9 songs but it definately felt like a satasfying show and as w.axl.rose said they debuted Last Fight tonight, which was amazing by the way and had a great Slash solo. Quick Machines sounded 10x bettter than the recordings we've had from the South American gigs, after hearing it tonight I have a completely different opinion of it since it kicked way more ass, and I actually feel it will be a strong track on the album. Get out the Door was awesome, pretty much everything live sounded a shit load better than what we've heard  from the boots. Let it Roll was fucking sick and great opener and She Mine was sweet. Before the show I did a small Q&A thing with the guys filming  and by the end of the night I ened up with two of Slash's picks. Overall it was just amazing I was able to be there and I'm still pumped and star struck from the band. Right now I  truely belicve VR are the best real rock n roll band out right now.

I?m glad u like the show  ok. How did u get slash?s picks??

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2007, 01:26:18 PM »

Booker, Booker, Booker.....

There's a difference of having a show full with contest winners that's being taped to be streamed and an arena show filled with people who paid to get in.

People yelling "Slash!" at a GN'R show is different to some guy yelling "do an Axl".....

They had to try to put down Axl at a VR show.  hihi

Now, if people were yelling "Slash is a liar!" at GN'R shows, then you'd have a point.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2007, 03:57:26 PM »

There's a difference of having a show full with contest winners that's being taped to be streamed and an arena show filled with people who paid to get in.

As far as I can tell, both shows attract fans, so what is the difference and why is it relevant to your point?   

In your first post, you said "They had to mention Axl."  Who is "they?"

Now, if people were yelling "Slash is a liar!" at GN'R shows, then you'd have a point.....

People have yelled that, incidentally - people on the stage holding a microphone.  I hate pointing it out again, but your response wasnt quite similar.  Weilands minor lyrical changes to "Its So Easy" earned your negative attention, but I cant recall seeing any similar reaction to Axls changes to "Knockin On Heavens Door," for example.
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2007, 04:03:36 PM »

their both the same thing. People go to shows and some yell out stupid shit.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2007, 05:07:52 PM »

I just got back form the show about a half hour ago and I'm still pumped. They only played 9 songs but it definately felt like a satasfying show and as w.axl.rose said they debuted Last Fight tonight, which was amazing by the way and had a great Slash solo. Quick Machines sounded 10x bettter than the recordings we've had from the South American gigs, after hearing it tonight I have a completely different opinion of it since it kicked way more ass, and I actually feel it will be a strong track on the album. Get out the Door was awesome, pretty much everything live sounded a shit load better than what we've heard  from the boots. Let it Roll was fucking sick and great opener and She Mine was sweet. Before the show I did a small Q&A thing with the guys filming  and by the end of the night I ened up with two of Slash's picks. Overall it was just amazing I was able to be there and I'm still pumped and star struck from the band. Right now I  truely belicve VR are the best real rock n roll band out right now.

I?m glad u like the show  ok. How did u get slash?s picks??

im not vietnow138, but Slash, Duff and Dave kept throwing picks to the fans during the whole show. and in the end they threw a couple more, as well for Matt he was giving away drum sticks
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2007, 05:11:59 PM »

Booker, Booker, Booker.....

People yelling "Slash!" at a GN'R show is different to some guy yelling "do an Axl".....

/jarmo

god who cares? this is all just pointless...  Roll Eyes

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2007, 05:26:19 PM »

As far as I can tell, both shows attract fans, so what is the difference and why is it relevant to your point?   

If you actually thought about it, maybe you'd get it?

Which one is more likely to have a bunch of guys out having a few beers and hearing that hit song:

A: An arena that holds 10000-20000 people, you could buy tickets to it and it was probably advertised.
B. A studio that holds a few hundred, it was a contest and the contest e-mail was mentioned on the band's site and fan sites.

Bonus question: Which one of those is more likely to include people who think they're "amusing"?

In your first post, you said "They had to mention Axl."  Who is "they?"

Not us. They.

The people at the show.

Either the crowd, the band or other people present at the location at the time. They.

People have yelled that, incidentally - people on the stage holding a microphone.  I hate pointing it out again, but your response wasnt quite similar.  Weilands minor lyrical changes to "Its So Easy" earned your negative attention, but I cant recall seeing any similar reaction to Axls changes to "Knockin On Heavens Door," for example.

What's Weiland's improv got to do with this?

Please explain.

Maybe you never were a GN'R fan to begin with so you can't relate. But It's So Easy is a song I grew up with. Knockin' On Heaven's Door wasn't.

If somebody changed the taste of your favorite soda that you've been drinking for 15 years (or however old you are) or if they changed the taste of something you only tried once, which one would you notice first?

Yes, Axl has said things about Slash. Axl was in a band with him. Did you already forget?

We're not talking about Duff or Slash talking about Axl here are?

I was pointing out how somebody/some people witnessing a special invitation only VR show had to mention Axl in a negative way.

I didn't hear people yelling for Slash at the acoustic GN'R gig in London last summer. It was a memorable amazing early morning.

Maybe VR fans are thinking about Axl all the time for some reason......

So you don't think the comment was out of place?

Wouldn't you feel annoyed if you were there trying to enjoy the show and some guy was yelling "Axl!"?

Your constant need to try to prove I'm biased is lame. Of course I'm biased, I'm a GN'R fan.  ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2007, 07:01:27 PM »

Wow.  It's amazing to see how my review got people upset.  I'm just telling it like it is.  Not once did I say anything bad about the band itself, or the performance.  (When they were actually performing, that is)

But you must have interpreted my disdain for the NISSAN/YAHOO! people for something else. 

Lynn- It has nothing to do about liking or not liking the band.  A friend of mine wanted to enter the drawing, and she asked me if I would go with her if she won.  And once you give them your name, you can't take anyone else.  But still, we went and had a really good time, that's all that matters to me.  It was a good experience, and I went in with an open mind.  Never did I say that the new songs sucked, or that the performance was terrible.  But you guys took it upon yourselves to imply that, because maybe deep down inside, you know that Velvet Revolver is a hopeless cause.

Grouse- Slash and Duff have achieved a lot musically.  Why would I have a grudge against them?  hihi  I don't know them, and I don't have lunch with them once a week.  But they've always come off that way whenever I spot them.  Especially Duff.  But that's just a personal observation on what they're like.  It has NOTHING to do with Libertad. 
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2007, 07:09:22 PM »

? ? ? ?I just got back form the show about a half hour ago and I'm still pumped. They only played 9 songs but it definately felt like a satasfying show and as w.axl.rose said they debuted Last Fight tonight, which was amazing by the way and had a great Slash solo. Quick Machines sounded 10x bettter than the recordings we've had from the South American gigs, after hearing it tonight I have a completely different opinion of it since it kicked way more ass, and I actually feel it will be a strong track on the album. Get out the Door was awesome, pretty much everything live sounded a shit load better than what we've heard? from the boots. Let it Roll was fucking sick and great opener and She Mine was sweet. Before the show I did a small Q&A thing with the guys filming? and by the end of the night I ened up with two of Slash's picks. Overall it was just amazing I was able to be there and I'm still pumped and star struck from the band. Right now I? truely belicve VR are the best real rock n roll band out right now.

I?m glad u like the show? ok. How did u get slash?s picks??

After the show I asked Adam Day, Slash's guitar tech., for a pick since there were a few left over form the show and he handed me 4 so i gave two to my friend and kept the other two.
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2007, 07:35:53 PM »

Wow.? It's amazing to see how my review got people upset.? I'm just telling it like it is.? Not once did I say anything bad about the band itself, or the performance.? (When they were actually performing, that is)

But you must have interpreted my disdain for the NISSAN/YAHOO! people for something else.?

Lynn- It has nothing to do about liking or not liking the band.? A friend of mine wanted to enter the drawing, and she asked me if I would go with her if she won.? And once you give them your name, you can't take anyone else.? But still, we went and had a really good time, that's all that matters to me.? It was a good experience, and I went in with an open mind.? Never did I say that the new songs sucked, or that the performance was terrible.? But you guys took it upon yourselves to imply that, because maybe deep down inside, you know that Velvet Revolver is a hopeless cause.

Grouse- Slash and Duff have achieved a lot musically.? Why would I have a grudge against them?? hihi? I don't know them, and I don't have lunch with them once a week.? But they've always come off that way whenever I spot them.? Especially Duff.? But that's just a personal observation on what they're like.? It has NOTHING to do with Libertad.?

? ? Well in your review you seemed to only talk and emphasize on the things you didn't like about the show rather than what you enjoyed about it, making you seem ungreatfull for getting to experiance a free tapping of a show and posting it for the sole purpose just to put down the event that everyone besides you seemed to enjoy. From what you wrote above it looks like there was a lot that you did like so your review gave a bad impression of how you felt.

? ? ?As far as the some random guy in the crowd yelling "do an axl!" you guys are making a waaay bigger deal than it needs to be. Durring the Q&A thing there were problems with the microphones so for a couple of minutes the band was just waiting on stage for crew to get their shit together. Durring this time people in the crowd were yelling out things to band (like "why do you guys so badass?!?!"), just having a good time, the one person in the crowd who said "do an axl" was in no way trying to put down axl IMO. Even if he was who cares what some random douchebag said, it was just one person not the whole audience.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 10:50:36 PM by vietnow138 » Logged
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2007, 09:05:55 PM »

Which one is more likely to have a bunch of guys out having a few beers and hearing that hit song:

A: An arena that holds 10000-20000 people, you could buy tickets to it and it was probably advertised.
B. A studio that holds a few hundred, it was a contest and the contest e-mail was mentioned on the band's site and fan sites.

Bonus question: Which one of those is more likely to include people who think they're "amusing"?

I fail to see why this matters.  It appears youd like to think that VR fans (and one review posted here proves that some, in fact, werent) are obsessed with Axl while those who yell about Slash at GNR shows are different because you assume theyre not really fans.  Am I close?

Do you think its possible that each event has a majority of dedicated fans, as well as some less-dedicated fans?  Garry, who believes that VR is a hopeless cause ("Not once did I say anything bad about the band itself"), went because a friend had a free ticket.  So it turns out that it is possible for VR non-fans to attend these shows, isnt it? 

Not us. They.

The people at the show.

Either the crowd, the band or other people present at the location at the time. They.

If you dont know who youre talking about, how should I?  Youve come up with an unfounded, puzzling distinction between GNR and VR fans based on your own bias - Ive addressed that.  To include VR itself in the vague "they," are you implying that they mention Axl at every show?

What's Weiland's improv got to do with this?

If you actually thought about it, maybe you'd get it?

Just observing that you seem to feel differently about things when its VR as opposed to another band. 

Maybe you never were a GN'R fan to begin with so you can't relate. But It's So Easy is a song I grew up with. Knockin' On Heaven's Door wasn't.

If somebody changed the taste of your favorite soda that you've been drinking for 15 years (or however old you are) or if they changed the taste of something you only tried once, which one would you notice first?

So somebody who grew up with "Knockin On Heavens Door" should have the same negative reaction to Axls changes as you do to Weilands, right?

Yes, Axl has said things about Slash. Axl was in a band with him. Did you already forget?

We're not talking about Duff or Slash talking about Axl here are?

I was pointing out how somebody/some people witnessing a special invitation only VR show had to mention Axl in a negative way.

I didn't hear people yelling for Slash at the acoustic GN'R gig in London last summer. It was a memorable amazing early morning.

So one fan yelling something about Axl at one show is now the rule?  Or has this happened at other very small VR shows, of which theres been several?l

So you don't think the comment was out of place?

Wouldn't you feel annoyed if you were there trying to enjoy the show and some guy was yelling "Axl!"?

No, Im a VR fan - we think about Axl all of the time and yell his name at every show apparently.

Your constant need to try to prove I'm biased is lame. Of course I'm biased, I'm a GN'R fan.  ok

I think your constant need to demonstrate this bias, particularly as of late, is just as lame.  Youre a GNR fan with a bias against the guys who wrote the songs with which you grew up.  Yet you get defensive when people point out the simple fact that you dont like VR:

Yeah, I really dislike them don't I? Seen them live five times by now. I really must hate them.....

« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 09:27:48 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2007, 09:13:50 PM »

Wow.  It's amazing to see how my review got people upset.  I'm just telling it like it is.  Not once did I say anything bad about the band itself

This band is so artificial.  All they talk about and brag about are their "checkered past's."  What a super-dangerous band!

Give me the Axl Rose band anyday.

You can now continue with the "Gee, what did I say?" act.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2007, 09:23:06 PM »

Wow.  It's amazing to see how my review got people upset.  I'm just telling it like it is.  Not once did I say anything bad about the band itself

This band is so artificial.  All they talk about and brag about are their "checkered past's."  What a super-dangerous band!

Give me the Axl Rose band anyday.

You can now continue with the "Gee, what did I say?" act.

Oh Booker, give it a rest.  Again, I ask you.  Does that statement have ANYTHING to do with their performance Friday night?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »

Booker loves to argue and fails to answer the questions.

Garry, even though he's not worshiping the ground Weiland walks on, didn't yell for Axl at the show. He didn't go there to yell "VR sucks! Axl rocks!".

I'll tell you something else Booker, since you fail to see the obvious difference:

Screaming for Slash at a GN'R show is disrespectful towards the band. People who do that want to stir shit up.

Screaming "do an Axl" at a VR show isn't disrespectful towards VR since the guy was trying to be funny at Axl's expense.

Now dance around that like you usually do.

/jarmo

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2007, 09:30:10 PM »

Oh Booker, give it a rest.  Again, I ask you.  Does that statement have ANYTHING to do with their performance Friday night?

Not once did I say anything bad about the band itself

This band is so artificial.

Youre not very good at semantic technicalities, so you should probably give them a rest.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2007, 09:43:48 PM »

Garry, even though he's not worshiping the ground Weiland walks on, didn't yell for Axl at the show. He didn't go there to yell "VR sucks! Axl rocks!".

Telling that you interpreted "This band is so artifical" and "Velvet Revolver is a hopeless cause" as "not worshipping the ground Weiland walks on."  Its a very understanding interpretation.

And the point is that a limited-attendance, free concert doesnt mean its full of true fans.

I'll tell you something else Booker, since you fail to see the obvious difference:

Screaming for Slash at a GN'R show is disrespectful towards the band. People who do that want to stir shit up.

Screaming "do an Axl" at a VR show isn't disrespectful towards VR since the guy was trying to be funny at Axl's expense.

First it was the mere fact that "they" had mentioned Axl (inevitably signaling obsesssion); now its the impoliteness of the mention.  Youll have to excuse me if I dont follow your reasoning, it seems to evolve from post to post.

Now dance around that like you usually do.

You didnt ask one question in this post - what would I dance around? 

You didnt answer my questions, either, so I guess Im not alone.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 09:46:13 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2007, 10:55:17 PM »

For the people who were there what did you think of Last Fight?
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2007, 11:14:02 PM »

Nobody from the band mentioned Axl, the crowd did...

Still.... It was full of VR fans who won tickets for free.

/jarmo

LOL, is this for real?

I also find it "amusing" that Garry's review of the show stands, whereas my review of GN'R where I mentioned that the crowd in the upper bowl filing out on the last 3-4 songs killed the energy gets deleted in an instant (despite my complimenting the band playing well)... Honestly, why do you still have a VR section on this board?  How bitter do you think you look by keeping this section here and trashing them in every thread?  Delete the fucking section already!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: