Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:26:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228064 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Madagascar
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Madagascar  (Read 105366 times)
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2004, 12:06:58 PM »

Does anybody else find the quotes, especially the MLK ones, more than a little pretentious?
Not really..it tells a story...its not there because they wnated to do something with samples...its there for a reason and to tell a story. Just because Gnr does stuff doesnt mean its pretentius or self absorbed....but whatever.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2004, 12:38:45 PM »

Just because Gnr does stuff doesnt mean its pretentius or self absorbed....but whatever.

Its not exactly "stuff-doing" I find pretentious...its taking those indelible quotes pertaining to something as real and important as civil rights struggles and sampling them for a song that isnt even about that subject (not that it would be much better if it was).  It just doesnt feel right, and comes off as pretentious to me.  I dont care about the other quotes so much, its the MLK ones that give that impression.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 12:42:02 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2004, 01:10:12 PM »

The quotes are part of the HTGTH FAQ.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2004, 02:09:18 PM »

its taking those indelible quotes pertaining to something as real and important as civil rights struggles and sampling them for a song that isnt even about that subject
So if the song was directly talking about civil rights it would be ok? It has an indirect meaning. The song has many interpretations and thats why its awesome. It could be applied to ones life or to gnrs situation....thats why the quotes work and tell a story....

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2004, 02:32:09 PM »

Just because Gnr does stuff doesnt mean its pretentius or self absorbed....but whatever.

Its not exactly "stuff-doing" I find pretentious...its taking those indelible quotes pertaining to something as real and important as civil rights struggles and sampling them for a song that isnt even about that subject (not that it would be much better if it was).  It just doesnt feel right, and comes off as pretentious to me.  I dont care about the other quotes so much, its the MLK ones that give that impression.

I absolutely agree Booker. I still love the song though.  Embarrassed
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2004, 02:51:53 PM »

So if the song was directly talking about civil rights it would be ok?

Guess you didnt read my post?

...sampling them for a song that isnt even about that subject (not that it would be much better if it was).

It has an indirect meaning. The song has many interpretations and thats why its awesome. It could be applied to ones life or to gnrs situation....thats why the quotes work and tell a story....

I didnt say anything about the lyrics or the song itself, which are both great.  Its the use of MLK quotes which, story or not, come off as pretentious.  Not a big deal - I dont have any moral obkections to it or anything, just an observation.
Fuckin' Gunner
Kamikaze
Rocker

nightrain.cjb.net

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2004, 03:20:39 PM »

NewGnR.com did a deconstruct of all the quotes, where they came from and what they possibly mean alone and in context originally and in the song and it's like, Axl thought more about that one song then VR have about their whole album. Which isn't a criticism of their methods, just another reason to get off Axl's back.

Yeah... this one is very real. He seems to care about every second of music on Chinese Democracy.

Stay Tuned for news and information on Chinese Democracy coming soon.
[posted 3/9/2003 U.S.A.]

Nightrain - O site mais perigoso do planeta
SLCPUNK
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2004, 04:04:43 PM »

The song is good. Not great IMHO.

I like the MLK quotes though.   peace

Those don't come cheap, as the MLK family makes people pay dearly for any of his work.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2004, 05:48:58 PM »

The post in the other madagascar thread just kinda made it dawn on me - he had to get permission to use them from MLK's family... even had to pay for the right to use 'em.  So, I'm thinking if anyone is gonna be the judge of what is 'beneath' using them - it's gotta be his family.  They must have had to find it appropriate.  Its not like we hear quotes from MLK's speeches in sneaker adverstisements.  

Not that that precludes whether anyone else might find them to be too 'sacred'.
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2004, 06:46:01 PM »

These r both prolly my two faviourite gnr songs...i love madagascar its amazing

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2004, 07:08:29 PM »

confused  How can anyone not like MLK quotes?  Are they insane???  And yes, I remember watching a 60 Minutes piece on the MLK family demanding royalties from all of the entertainment industry for using likeness, images, and quotations.  I can't say that I blame them.  

Maddy rocks, and MLK's quotes are awesome.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
triple
Opening Act

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2004, 07:10:44 PM »

The song is good. Not great IMHO.
i disagree, it HAD a potential to become big

TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2004, 07:30:13 PM »

I disagree.  This is supposed to be Rock and Roll and IMO those quotes are gay.  Just Ilike think thoat shit at the end of Breakdown is gay.  Adding a little quote , ala Civil War, is fine.  But to do a 1 minute piecing together of various quotes makes the song weaker, not stronger.

the song would be brilliant if he didn't have the quotes.  I haven't listened to the song more than 15-20 times because of those quotes.  Definately the weakest of all the post Slash songs except silkworms.  

That's just my opinion.  Give me 10 OMGs or CDs and leave the damn gimmicks out of it.

-TyRod-

p.s.  I think that anyone that thinks Axl is slaving day in and day out to perfect this album is nuts.  My bet is that he goes long streatches without even touching it.  How else do you explain the crazy length of time it has taken him?  I just hop ethat Maddy and The Blues are hte two worst sonmgs on the album.  They better be for the amountof time this is taking.
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2004, 07:39:34 PM »

I disagree.  This is supposed to be Rock and Roll...
Says who?  GN'R were a rock n roll band.  GN'R now are just....well....who knows...we've heard about 6 songs and none of them would fit into the same genre and none of them would be classed as rock n roll...

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
triple
Opening Act

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2004, 07:50:03 PM »

I just hop ethat Maddy and The Blues are hte two worst sonmgs on the album.  
well good for you then

TyRod Tulip
Banned
VIP

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2004, 07:51:39 PM »

Good point.  Let me rephrase.

I want GNR to be a Rock & Roll band.  I want GNR to be GNR.  I don't want anything too electronic or synthisized.  I don't want anything over-produced.  I want AFD for 2004.  I want something that is felt and not learned.

That is just me.  So from that perspective, my opinion stands as previously stated.

-TyRod-
triple
Opening Act

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2004, 07:55:24 PM »

Good point.  Let me rephrase.

I want GNR to be a Rock & Roll band.  I want GNR to be GNR.  I don't want anything too electronic or synthisized.  I don't want anything over-produced.  I want AFD for 2004.  I want something that is felt and not learned.

That is just me.  So from that perspective, my opinion stands as previously stated.

-TyRod-
yeah, you said it right, its 2004 now

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2004, 08:08:25 PM »

Maddy especially the MSG version is an unbelievable amazing song that is highly under rated and under appreciated by all GNR fans cause they cant get past the "MLK" quotes

Now buddy, that's a bit of a generalization don't you think?

On this board...I can't actually remember many people at all finding fault with the quotes.

We did a deconstruction over here on the old board, I wish that we still had the thread, it's a very layered song and one of the best I've heard in the last few years.

oops sorry used illusions i was aiming at all gnr fans that dont like the quotes not all gnr fans in general

my fault i shouldve clarified that better!

my mistake! ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
TyRod Tulip
Banned
VIP

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2004, 08:09:05 PM »

its just my opinion, thats all

i want 1989 gnr, is that so bad?

i hate electronic mucis, is that so bad?

just my opinion, not anyone elses
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2004, 08:10:28 PM »

i cringe everytime someone says "i love maddy but i hate martin luther king quotes"

there are what 2 or 3 mlk quotes?

but all people remember is the mlk shit and it pisses me off

that song is an ingenius work of art

the quotes tell a story, the quotes arent there for shits and giggles they have a meaning, and i think its an awesome innovative way to express a song that no one has ever done b4, take a bunch of different quotes, put them together in a way that tells a story'

no wonder its taking axl so long to record CD

u have any clue how long it must have took to find all those quotes and piece them together like that?

i bet that took a long ass time just for that

i think axl is taking extra special care of each song and is making sure each one has brilliant ideas, instead of making half a dozen kick ass songs and putting good but filler tracks for the rest of the album

Maddy especially the MSG version is an unbelievable amazing song that is highly under rated and under appreciated by all GNR fans cause they cant get past the "MLK" quotes

I agree 100% its not who is saying the quotes, its what is being said.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 33 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: