Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 06:11:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  South African shows cancelled
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 Go Down Print
Author Topic: South African shows cancelled  (Read 95558 times)
WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #700 on: April 21, 2007, 11:18:11 AM »

WTF?   Roll Eyes

smugolo
Headliner

"I don't worry about nothin', no..."

« Reply #701 on: April 21, 2007, 11:18:56 AM »

axl aside, tommy is the most important person in this band.

he is in charge of the rehearsals, and acts as a sort of 'conductor' for the whole band.

also, would a replacement bassist realistically be able to learn all of the songs in a week? i don't think so.

ok, so you may say bumble learnt the songs in a week, but 3rd guitarist is hardly as vital as the sole bass player.

GN'R 2006 - Dublin 9th June - Sheffield 18th July - Manchester 23rd July
The_Wretched
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #702 on: April 21, 2007, 11:23:41 AM »

he is in charge of the rehearsals, and acts as a sort of 'conductor' for the whole band.

also, would a replacement bassist realistically be able to learn all of the songs in a week? i don't think so.

ok, so you may say bumble learnt the songs in a week, but 3rd guitarist is hardly as vital as the sole bass player.

gilby clarke had the same amount of time to learn the songs when he jumped on board for the world tour. and IZZY left the band. IZZY wasn't that important??? Come on... after Axl, who will argue Izzy wasn't the mind behind GNR?Huh
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #703 on: April 21, 2007, 11:28:56 AM »

gilby clarke had the same amount of time to learn the songs when he jumped on board for the world tour. and IZZY left the band. IZZY wasn't that important??? Come on... after Axl, who will argue Izzy wasn't the mind behind GNR?Huh

personally i think that classic line up era, it was all of them who made that magic. slash's lead had so much emotiom, izzys n axls lyrics were great, duffs bass was great, so much variation!

html sucks
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #704 on: April 21, 2007, 11:30:46 AM »

i don't understand finck and robin?
ok i do understant money like reason,but i really doubt that they will sell his soul for money

simply i don't understant both why do they have sooo many patience for their project "chinese democracy"

It's ballshit when you work on some project 9 years

i don't get it

I have never seen so many tree
overmatik
« Reply #705 on: April 21, 2007, 11:32:33 AM »

Let's wait people, why getting in such strong and personal fights about a rumour, let's wait untill GNR.com give us an official statement on the case. Maybe some good news about the album to get even... ?hihi

P.S. How things became easier to accept after facing the truth... drool
smugolo
Headliner

« Reply #706 on: April 21, 2007, 11:32:49 AM »

personally i think that classic line up era, it was all of them who made that magic. slash's lead had so much emotiom, izzys n axls lyrics were great, duffs bass was great, so much variation!

i'm talking about the new lineup here. i'd never compare tommy with izzy, slash & duff. at least not until the new albums out!

redx
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #707 on: April 21, 2007, 11:39:12 AM »

Robin is far more important than Tommy.
MotherGooseLuvR
More synthesizer (and Pitman) please
Banned
VIP

PitMANIAC #1

« Reply #708 on: April 21, 2007, 11:50:48 AM »

The truth is, nobody but Axl is really important.  If they quit the band, The GNR Machine would just replace them, like they've replaced every other member of the band, over and over again.

Since nobody bought a ticket for GNR because of Tommy Stinson, it seems incredibly selfish of the band to screw over all thier fans rather than just find a temp replacement.  They wouldn't have to look far... Not only has Pitman filled in on bass before, but they have THREE other guitar players playing songs that only require two guitarists.

Or they could find an alltogether new bassist to sit in.  Trust me, it's not hard to find someone who can play GNR standards on the bass.  I'll bet there are a hundred of them in the audience each night.  I'll bet if each member of the band could call ten of their musician friends, they could find a replacement in a matter of hours. 

Or they could do like The Who.  When Keith Moon passed out on drums, they just pulled someone out of the audience and had them sit in.  James Hetfield nearly had his arm burned off.  Only derailed the tour for 17 days.  They got a replacement guitarist, and had James sing even while he was wounded.  The drummer from Motorhead broke his fucking hand before a tour.  They just taped his drum sticks to his cast.

Point is, if Axl really wanted to play these shows for his fans, Axl could have.  Now, he might think it's unimaginable to play a concert without "The General," but if that was his choice, I think it's an incredibly selfish one.  While Tommy might mean the world to Axl, he simply does not matter to the tens of thousands of people who spent their hard earned money on tickets, airfare and hotels. 

I wish that every now and then, Axl would make a decision with his fans in mind.  It's sad.

? Mother Goose sez: GET YO SYNTH ON, BITCHES!? 
pollyblue
Rocker

t.w.a.t.

« Reply #709 on: April 21, 2007, 11:57:20 AM »

what is all this tommy' sin or out of the band? he just got his wrist sprained and it takes time to heal.
now on to the start of the tour in may or june!
Edward Rose
« Reply #710 on: April 21, 2007, 11:57:56 AM »

...or they could do like The Who.  When Keith Moon passed out on drums, they just pulled someone out of the audience and had them sit in. 

James Hetfield nearly had his arm burned off.  Only derailed the tour for 17 days.  They got a replacement guitarist, and had James sing even while he was wounded. 

The drummer from Motorhead broke his fucking hand before a tour.  They just taped his drum sticks to his cast....

Did that first one really happen? That's hilarious. All THREE of those stories are Spinal Tap greats!
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #711 on: April 21, 2007, 12:01:49 PM »

truth.Axl made gnr machine

I have never seen so many tree
smugolo
Headliner

« Reply #712 on: April 21, 2007, 12:02:43 PM »

The truth is, nobody but Axl is really important.? If they quit the band, The GNR Machine would just replace them, like they've replaced every other member of the band, over and over again.

Since nobody bought a ticket for GNR because of Tommy Stinson, it seems incredibly selfish of the band to screw over all thier fans rather than just find a temp replacement.? They wouldn't have to look far... Not only has Pitman filled in on bass before, but they have THREE other guitar players playing songs that only require two guitarists.

Or they could find an alltogether new bassist to sit in.? Trust me, it's not hard to find someone who can play GNR standards on the bass.? I'll bet there are a hundred of them in the audience each night.? I'll bet if each member of the band could call ten of their musician friends, they could find a replacement in a matter of hours.?

Or they could do like The Who.? When Keith Moon passed out on drums, they just pulled someone out of the audience and had them sit in.? James Hetfield nearly had his arm burned off.? Only derailed the tour for 17 days.? They got a replacement guitarist, and had James sing even while he was wounded.? The drummer from Motorhead broke his fucking hand before a tour.? They just taped his drum sticks to his cast.

Point is, if Axl really wanted to play these shows for his fans, Axl could have.? Now, he might think it's unimaginable to play a concert without "The General," but if that was his choice, I think it's an incredibly selfish one.? While Tommy might mean the world to Axl, he simply does not matter to the tens of thousands of people who spent their hard earned money on tickets, airfare and hotels.?

I wish that every now and then, Axl would make a decision with his fans in mind.? It's sad.

i totally agree, these shows could go ahead, and 99% of the fans would not notice the difference.

but i guess axl is not willing to do these shows without tommy on board.

MotherGooseLuvR
Banned
VIP

PitMANIAC #1

« Reply #713 on: April 21, 2007, 12:07:56 PM »

...or they could do like The Who.? When Keith Moon passed out on drums, they just pulled someone out of the audience and had them sit in.?

James Hetfield nearly had his arm burned off.? Only derailed the tour for 17 days.? They got a replacement guitarist, and had James sing even while he was wounded.?

The drummer from Motorhead broke his fucking hand before a tour.? They just taped his drum sticks to his cast....

Did that first one really happen? That's hilarious. All THREE of those stories are Spinal Tap greats!

Yeah, that Who story is true!  I just heard it yesterday, over at Mygnr.  There are youtube videos of it, but I couldn't find the thread again.  Keith Moon took a bunch of horse tranquilizers and passed out right in the middle of Won't Get Fooled Again.  They went ahead and played See Me Feel Me without him.  Then Pete takes the mic and asks if there's anyone in the house who can play drums (like a rock n' roll version of "Is there a doctor in the house?!")  This guy down front calls out.  Pete asks him if he's any good.  The guy says yeah, so they bring him up.  His name was Scott.  He hung in there, playing the rest of the set and giving the fans their money's worth.  It's a really cool video.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #714 on: April 21, 2007, 12:12:49 PM »

Since nobody bought a ticket for GNR because of Tommy Stinson, it seems incredibly selfish of the band to screw over all thier fans rather than just find a temp replacement. 

How can something that hurts the band too be selfish?

You don't seem to realize that canceling a show hurts the band as well. Booking a tour isn't just about going to the venues and playing. There's actually a lot of work involved.

All that is basically for nothing when a show is canceled.

And you think the band is selfish?

I think many of the fans are selfish. They want things from the band, they want certain people in the band, they want this and that. Never stopping to think about what the band wants. It's all about what you want from them because they "owe" you.

Now you can say "I only wanna hear new music". That's fine, but you want it now, or better yet, yesterday!

I want to hear new music too, but only when the band wants me to hear it. I respect the artist.

Maybe some of you are so spoiled that you always got what you wanted and you just can't deal with the fact that in the case of GN'R, you can't have it your fucking way? I don't know. It just seems like that at times.

We have people saying this isn't a real band. It's just Axl and a bunch of guys. Then we have people saying Tommy should be replaced for the tour because nobody cares about him.

Well maybe the band cares about him?

You can't win with certain GN'R fans because these fans are experts on how to manage bands, book tours and everything else. It's really that simple.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
MotherGooseLuvR
Banned
VIP

PitMANIAC #1

« Reply #715 on: April 21, 2007, 12:22:19 PM »

Since nobody bought a ticket for GNR because of Tommy Stinson, it seems incredibly selfish of the band to screw over all thier fans rather than just find a temp replacement.?

How can something that hurts the band too be selfish?

You don't seem to realize that canceling a show hurts the band as well. Booking a tour isn't just about going to the venues and playing. There's actually a lot of work involved.

All that is basically for nothing when a show is canceled.

And you think the band is selfish?

I think many of the fans are selfish. They want things from the band, they want certain people in the band, they want this and that. Never stopping to think about what the band wants. It's all about what you want from them because they "owe" you.

Now you can say "I only wanna hear new music". That's fine, but you want it now, or better yet, yesterday!

I want to hear new music too, but only when the band wants me to hear it. I respect the artist.

Maybe some of you are so spoiled that you always got what you wanted and you just can't deal with the fact that in the case of GN'R, you can't have it your fucking way? I don't know. It just seems like that at times.

We have people saying this isn't a real band. It's just Axl and a bunch of guys. Then we have people saying Tommy should be replaced for the tour because nobody cares about him.

Well maybe the band cares about him?

You can't win with certain GN'R fans because these fans are experts on how to manage bands, book tours and everything else. It's really that simple.

/jarmo

I'm not for the band being screwed.? They're going to be paid for their work on the shows just the same if Tommy's there or not.?

I don't have to be an expert on band management to know that it's entirely within the realm of possibility for a band to replace a bass player for a few shows.? You do realize this has happened before?? Bands have found a way to manage this particular crisis in the past.? Shit, even GNR has.

If GNR can replace Slash forever, then surely Tommy can be replaced for a few days.

It might not have been the ideal situation for the band, but in my opinion, it's way better than just cancelling the show and disappointing tens of thousands of fans... fans who've continued to support this band after years of inactivity and disappointment.

Axl made his call.? He has every right to.? I'm sure he can make a strong case for why it's unimaginable that GNR could play a concert without Tommy Stinson.? I just think there's another side to that debate that's worth considering... and that's WHAT'S BEST FOR THE FANS?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 12:37:21 PM by MotherGooseLuvR » Logged

axleu
« Reply #716 on: April 21, 2007, 12:25:05 PM »

"Well maybe the band cares about him?"

Yeah, you're right (as always), Jarmo. So it implies that nobody in the band gave a fuck about Brain when Frank took his place last year!
nonamethe1st
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #717 on: April 21, 2007, 12:27:47 PM »

It makes u wonder about his IQ/Sanity...
?
His IQ is off the charts, he is absolutely brilliant and with that comes other problems to which I can personally attest, once again.  This whole deal was just enough to put him in an uncomfortable place, so he needs the delay to regroup.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #718 on: April 21, 2007, 12:29:54 PM »

jarmo - it seems you are trying to suggest that the band doesn't care about brain. is that correct?

it's tough to try and guess what axl is thinking. the "members" of the band are so interchangeable and easily replaced. it's a tough assumption to think that stinson is THAT un-replaceable.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #719 on: April 21, 2007, 12:53:10 PM »

"Well maybe the band cares about him?"

Yeah, you're right (as always), Jarmo. So it implies that nobody in the band gave a fuck about Brain when Frank took his place last year!

You don't see the difference in these two different cases?

Brain could probably tell the band about nine months in advance that his wife would give birth in the summer!

jarmo - it seems you are trying to suggest that the band doesn't care about brain. is that correct?

Oh really? No, I'm not. You really need to realize that every situation isn't the same.

I'm not for the band being screwed.  They're going to be paid for their work on the shows just the same if Tommy's there or not. 

No, you said it's selfish to cancel the shows!

Don't change what you said. You clearly stated the band was being selfish by canceling the shows:

Since nobody bought a ticket for GNR because of Tommy Stinson, it seems incredibly selfish of the band to screw over all thier fans rather than just find a temp replacement. 

I told you, the band loses on the cancellations as well so how can it be selfish?

If GNR can replace Slash forever, then surely Tommy can be replaced for a few days.

Now I've truly seen everything.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: