Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 02:28:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado!"  (Read 54894 times)
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2007, 01:54:57 AM »

Oh, and hearing stuff like: Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado! makes me really excited about this album! ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 02:18:08 AM »

So "Sucker Train Blues" is a great, aggresisive song, but its not "hard-rocking?"  Okay.  ok

English is not my own language. Spanish is. When I talk about ''hard rock'' Im talking about a music genre.

So yes, ''Sucker Train Blues'' is a very good song (I think ''great'' is too much; ''great'' is ''Enter Sandman'', ''great'' is ''Smoke On The Water'' or ''Old LA Tonight''), aggresive, but I wouldn't include that song into the ''hard rock'' music genre.

Is it so damn hard to understand? I could give you a lot more examples. You want one example of GNR? Bad Apples. Bad Apples is a very good, aggresive song, but It's not hard rock.

In the particular case of Let It Roll, I dont think that is a great/very good song, it could be aggresive (in one way or another, but I expect a lot more of three ex gnr members) and it is definitely NOT a hard rock [genre] song

I hope this is it. Geez.

And "The Blues" was. 

How many times do I need to tell you that I still think its not a good move to say ''this is the best track'', when the  album is not released yet but the song in question has been played live several times?

I do not fucking care if it is Axl, Nelson Mandela or Weiland who says it; I still think its not a good move. Ufff...

Im not sure whats "not smart" about it.  Hes providing details about his new album, which I think many people are interested in hearing.  So is it not smart because people like yourself, who do nothing but criticize this band, will criticize this band?  He thinks "Let It Roll" is an aggressive song - most here do.  Coincidentally, you - who dislikes the band to begin with - dont agree.  You dont find "Sucker Train Blues" hard-rocking (although it is great and aggressive according to this arbitrary semantic checklist of yours).  You dont think anything from Contraband, other than "Slither," could be called "aggressive."  Or "hard-rocking."

It's quite simple: I haven't read one review of an user from this forum saying that Let It Roll is a killer song. I saw multiple opinions, ranging from good, catchy, average, mediocre and horrible. So, there is not an absolut consense about  how good is the song.

And now Slash says that that song is ''the most aggressive''. Opinions ranging from ''average'', ''mediocre'' and ''horrible'' (lots) now know more or less what can they expect. If someone is telling you that a song that you like just a bit or you dont like is the ''star'' of the album, then its understandable that you may feel a little dissapointed

So add these to your belief that the section in which you constantly post shouldnt exist and youll understand why I believe your opinions on VR arent valued very much.

I think I've already showed you that I do not give a flying fuck if my opinions are valued by VR fans, basically because I'm posting in a Guns N' Roses forum with a VR section (at least, for now), and I am just giving my two cents on this subject, without breaking any rules. If you dont value my posts, why do you quote me?

The argument you seem to be making isn't whether soft is good or bad, but that Slash should lie and say that there are more aggressive songs simply to promote the album...

rofl

So you want to convince me that all the artists in the world say the truth and nothing more than the truth when they're promoting their albums?  hihi

Matt Sorum said in an interview that ''Contraband'' was the best album he has ever recorded. You need to be REALLY fucked up if you think that Matt does think that.

And yes. If Slash says ''There is a track called xxxxxxx (unheard song) that is incredibly aggresive and bla bla bla'' people would be very excited, because they have something unheard that is really promising. That could make people buy the record, simply because the only thing they have as a proof is Slash's word. That would work with me. But now it doesnt, because I already know that Let It Roll is a mediocre-flat song, because I've heard it several times.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 02:32:33 AM »

So you want to convince me that all the artists in the world say the truth and nothing more than the truth when they're promoting their albums?? hihi

Matt Sorum said in an interview that ''Contraband'' was the best album he has ever recorded. You need to be REALLY fucked up if you think that Matt does think that.

And yes. If Slash says ''There is a track called xxxxxxx (unheard song) that is incredibly aggresive and bla bla bla'' people would be very excited, because they have something unheard that is really promising. That could make people buy the record, simply because the only thing they have as a proof is Slash's word. That would work with me. But now it doesnt, because I already know that Let It Roll is a mediocre-flat song, because I've heard it several times.

I'm not trying to say otherwise, I just don't know why you would want Slash to lie to you to sell something about the album that isn't true in this case.

Let's say for example, Slash said "there are much more aggressive songs on Libertad than Let It Roll" so you buy the album expecting more aggressive songs than Let It Roll, and there isn't, wouldn't that just annoy you more that you were fooled into thinking otherwise? You've already said you don't like Let It Roll, why do you want Slash lying to you about other songs you haven't heard just to convince to buy?

Like I said, you have weird logic... Huh

metallex78
Legend

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2007, 02:34:15 AM »

In any case you should thank Slash for being so honest, and maybe you won't HAVE to buy the album, only to be disappointed. ok

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2007, 03:05:09 AM »

So yes, ''Sucker Train Blues'' is a very good song (I think ''great'' is too much

For example, I find ''Slither'' a great song, much more aggressive than ''Let It Roll''. Same for ''Sucker Train Blues''.

You said "Slither" is a great song...and then said "same for "Sucker Train Blues."  Is this another language issue?  Or just you being inconsistent...again?

So you think "Slither" is a "hard rock" song?  Whats the distinction between that and "Sucker Train Blues," stylistically, that makes it "hard rock?"  And can a song rock hard without being hard rock?  Conversely, can a song be within the hard rock genre and not rock hard?  Do your semantics really have any meaning?

Is it so damn hard to understand? I could give you a lot more examples. You want one example of GNR? Bad Apples. Bad Apples is a very good, aggresive song, but It's not hard rock.

Then what is it?

In the particular case of Let It Roll, I dont think that is a great/very good song, it could be aggresive (in one way or another, but I expect a lot more of three ex gnr members) and it is definitely NOT a hard rock [genre] song

Sounds like a hard rock song to me.

How many times do I need to tell you that I still think its not a good move to say ''this is the best track'', when the  album is not released yet but the song in question has been played live several times?

Slash didnt say that, did he?  And wasnt it you who said that "soft" isnt synonymous with "good" or "bad."  Now it means "best."

It's quite simple: I haven't read one review of an user from this forum saying that Let It Roll is a killer song. I saw multiple opinions, ranging from good, catchy, average, mediocre and horrible. So, there is not an absolut consense about  how good is the song.

I said "aggressive."  Youre talking about "good," "average," etc.  So they are synonymous?  And since you mentioned it:

The more i listen to it the more i love it, the quality of the recordin' is crap but you can hear how this song sounds and it's a great song to start a show and an album. It rocks like a motherfucker, I'd love to hear the whole song with a better quality.

You responded to this in the next post by the way, so I think you read it.  Then again, English isnt your first language, so perhaps you just misunderstood?

Slash has sounded so killer on all the new stuff they are playing live. Brendan O'brien must really have done a good job at getting him motivated to play some rock n' roll again because he is cutting it up on all these songs.

I was thinkin' the same, the new tunes sound amazin' they rock like motherfuckers

I really dig this song.

But this song is pretty fuckin' sweet.

First time I hear it now and it's so fucking great!

Not sure where you saw "horrible," though.  Can you post the quote?

And now Slash says that that song is ''the most aggressive''. Opinions ranging from ''average'', ''mediocre'' and ''horrible'' (lots) now know more or less what can they expect. If someone is telling you that a song that you like just a bit or you dont like is the ''star'' of the album, then its understandable that you may feel a little dissapointed

"Aggressive" means "star of the album."  Gotcha.

If you dont value my posts, why do you quote me?

It puts things in perspective.

Maybe he does?  What do you know?

And yes. If Slash says ''There is a track called xxxxxxx (unheard song) that is incredibly aggresive and bla bla bla'' people would be very excited, because they have something unheard that is really promising. That could make people buy the record, simply because the only thing they have as a proof is Slash's word. That would work with me. But now it doesnt, because I already know that Let It Roll is a mediocre-flat song, because I've heard it several times.[/

1.) Youre not a VR fan.  So presuming that your opinion/meaningless-song-checklist applies to people who are VR fans, or Slash himself, is probably useless.

2.) Youre quoting him wrong, once again.  Did he say "incredibly aggressive?" 

3.) Would you say that your opinion is in the minority in this forum?
metallex78
Legend

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 03:16:52 AM »

estebanf, you are no doubt entitled to your opinion, but you are just running in circles with your answers here. hihi

Give it up already. ok

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2007, 03:49:58 AM »

Matt probably said that about CB cause he felt more involved in the album making process. Remember when He joined GNR he was more a hired gun when UYI were being made and all the songs had already been written pretty much, so he probably felt more like a session musician.

CB was probably the best album he felt most apart of making. He did write Set Me Free right?

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2007, 03:57:21 AM »

I think before continuing this discussion, you should define the following terms, just so, everybody is on the same page:

1) Aggressive
2) Hard Rock
3) Soft
4) Great

Now, Fight!

Fuck 'Em All.
snakepipero
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2007, 05:03:32 AM »

Oh, and hearing stuff like: Slash calls new album "Ear candy for the guitar aficionado! makes me really excited about this album! ok
What does this sentence mean in spanish? or at least can u explain it to me with another words?
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2007, 05:10:12 AM »

What does this sentence mean in spanish? or at least can u explain it to me with another words?

It basically mean ear candy for the guitar lover...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2007, 08:46:14 AM »

What's aggressive to Slash might not be for the rest of the world.

I remember Duff describing their cover of Negative Creep as sounding like "almost death metal" or something similar. Well, it's not.

Oh and for Mikkamakka: Slash is confident about their album but still didn't make any comparisons to classic rock records. Look, it can be done! Maybe he'll let others compare.....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2007, 10:02:10 AM »

Oh and for Mikkamakka: Slash is confident about their album but still didn't make any comparisons to classic rock records. Look, it can be done! Maybe he'll let others compare.....

If youve explained it already, I forget - what was the difference between what Weiland said and Axl calling GNRs unfinished work the "1996 Aerosmith Rocks?"
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2007, 11:38:13 AM »

Can't wait.  Hope they come to Minneapolis.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2007, 11:47:33 AM »

If youve explained it already, I forget - what was the difference between what Weiland said and Axl calling GNRs unfinished work the "1996 Aerosmith Rocks?"

Genesis, please pay attention to who brought up Axl in this thread!

I sure as hell didn't, but I guess it's my fault because I compared Slash's comments to Scott's. Both are in VR, but I guess that's not allowed either?

Let's see how you can turn this one against me.

I think that some of the riffs that were coming out of him were the meanest, most contemporary, bluesiest, rocking thing since Aerosmith?s Rocks. The 2000 version of Aerosmith Rocks or the 1996 Aerosmith Rocks by the time we would have put it out.

Axl was complementing Slash's riffs! He didn't talk about his own music, he was complimenting a guy who left the band.... He said they were the meanest riffs since Rocks. He didn't say the album was as good as Rocks. He said it could've been the 2000 version of Rocks. But since Slash didn't wanna do it, it never happened.

You know that could mean it's a traditional rock album with a modern sound.....

While Scott says their album is a classic like Exile....

No difference at all is there Booker.....  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2007, 11:57:29 AM »

Axl was complementing Slash's riffs! He didn't talk about his own music, he was complimenting a guy who left the band.... He said they were the meanest riffs since Rocks. He didn't say the album was as good as Rocks. He said it could've been the 2000 version of Rocks. But since Slash didn't wanna do it, it never happened.

You know that could mean it's a traditional rock album with a modern sound.....

While Scott says their album is a classic like Exile....

No difference at all is there Booker.....  hihi

So would it be correct to say that had Weiland said that Slashs riffs on the new album were up there with the ones on Exile On Main St., you wouldnt have a problem with it?  Or is it only okay to make comparisons to classic albums when youre discussing former band members? 
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2007, 12:01:59 PM »

This stuff basically means nothing really, I mean has their ever been an artist or musician that comes out and says "Our new record is gonna suck?"

everytime Bon Jovi release a new album Jon raves how its the best one they've ever made.

Its just what bands do to hype it up.? We will have to judge it for ourselves. To some it will be amazing, to some it will be good, to some it will suck.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2007, 12:07:14 PM »

Scott can say whatever the fuck he wants. He usually does about things he has no idea about.....

It's ok Booker, maybe you really think Fall To Pieces is a song that everybody knows just like Scott assumed it would be.

Maybe you also think Scott is the new Mick Jagger and he really can create classic rock albums that'll be talked about in 30-40 years.

Scott didn't compliment on somebody else's work, he was patting his own back.

Slash complimented the other band members and then was quite modest about his own input.

That's the main difference.

This stuff basically means nothing really, I mean has their ever been an artist or musician that comes out and says "Our new record is gonna suck?"

That's natural.

But not everybody says he created an album that's gonna be a classic album.

Scott is a huge rock star in his own mind and he doesn't seem to understand that Slash is the star in the band in the world outside the US.

/jarmo

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2007, 12:32:13 PM »

Scott didn't compliment on somebody else's work, he was patting his own back.

Like this?

DEL: It's just that those two songs are classics. You could put them next to "Bohemian Rhapsody" or "Layla" on a cassette.

AXL: I think, musically, "November Rain" could possibly stand there. Vocally, I purposely wanted the sound I have on that. I'm very happy with it, even though it's very abrasive.

Or this?

It's not so much because I wrote them, but I feel "November Rain" and "Estranged" have a chance at getting embedded in music culture

Or:

If we record this album the way we wanna record this album, it could bomb, sure. But five years from now, there?ll be a lot of kids into it in Hollywood. 10 years from now, it?ll be an underground thing like Aerosmith and Hanoi Rocks. The material has strong enough lyrical content and strong enough guitar parts, you?ll have no choice, it?ll permeate into people?s brains one way or another.

Or:

It?s taken a lot of time to put together the ideas for this album...in certain ways, no one?s done what we?ve done - come out with a record that captured that kind of spirit, since maybe the first Sex Pistols album.

Of course youll spin all of these as drastically different from what Scott said, and for a very simple reason: you dont like Scott.  Therefore, its your natural inclination to criticize something he says, even if you have no problem with similar sentiments expressed by artists you like.

And Scott complimented the bands album, not his vocals or writing. 

"We wanted to make a record that stands up against the greats, such as Exile On Main St.," says frontman Scott Weiland, relaxing at Hollywood's Henson Studios. "And I absolutely think we've done it."

Rocker_GNR
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2007, 01:07:50 PM »

Estebanf, you have a serious problem to understand musical genres...

for you INXS is hard Rock and Velvet Revolver is POP, World is too different my friend... smoking

Only a few weeks to have Libertad in my hand or ears...   beer

Old Fan of Guns N ' Roses - "That is not dead which can eternal lie / And with strange aeons even death ..."
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2007, 01:11:12 PM »

Genesis, please pay attention to who brought up Axl in this thread!

I sure as hell didn't, but I guess it's my fault because I compared Slash's comments to Scott's. Both are in VR, but I guess that's not allowed either?

Let's see how you can turn this one against me.

I've given up, you know. It's pointless basically. Like trying to separate two Siamese twins joined at the head. So I'll just sit and watch.

Now, Fight!

Fuck 'Em All.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: