Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:22:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Nine Inch Nails
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 118 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nine Inch Nails  (Read 398853 times)
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #1200 on: March 06, 2008, 08:23:32 PM »

This thread needs some perspective!!

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #1201 on: March 06, 2008, 10:00:08 PM »

wow 28 ghosts IV is really beautiful.

i think alot of u guys are missing the point of this. it was just an experiment driven by impulse. it was recorded in only 10 weeks and was spontaneous, with no overthinking.

this is nothing like the fragile where he locked himself in the studio for like 2 years and obsessed over tweaking every note and guitar riff.

Ghosts I-IV, for what it is, is pretty damn cool.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #1202 on: March 07, 2008, 12:40:29 AM »

wow 28 ghosts IV is really beautiful.

i think alot of u guys are missing the point of this. it was just an experiment driven by impulse. it was recorded in only 10 weeks and was spontaneous, with no overthinking.

this is nothing like the fragile where he locked himself in the studio for like 2 years and obsessed over tweaking every note and guitar riff.

Ghosts I-IV, for what it is, is pretty damn cool.

We're GNR fans.  Ten week albums with no overthinking just don't do it for some of us.   hihi

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #1203 on: March 07, 2008, 01:03:41 AM »

"We're GNR fans.  Ten week albums with no overthinking just don't do it for some of us. "

Yea as a GNR fan, it really doesn't even register.

I can't stop listening to this. I find it really REALLY hard to believe that this intricate piece of music art was put together so quickly. Especially all the wild instruments that were used in recording this. It is just so technically well produced yet, its the most raw NIN album to date. Probably due to using all the real world instruments and created ones (almost a Blue Man group in the unique instrument category).

Its actually really different then the Fragile beyond the obvious instrumental comparison. Whereas the Fragile took you on certain aural journeys, Ghosts hits you in a very primal and tribal kind of way. I will be honest, I don't get the first two tracks. But once 3 comes on, I find it hard to sit still.

Ghosts is a pretty cool for drumming to. I have my drum kit connected through the mac and using garage band, I am digging the shit out of pplaying along with these tracks. I got to stop, I really fucking love Ghosts.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1204 on: March 07, 2008, 01:35:11 AM »

I have a theory

Maybe I am way out there on this but here is my thoughts:

I think Year Zero was the end of the world.

Ghosts is what remains and is the sounds of the lone survivor and there are no lyrics because as the lone survivor, no one is around to hear them so its just music to comfort as the person searches for other survivors.

The next album will be the meeting of those survivors to begin a new civilization.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
greendog
« Reply #1205 on: March 07, 2008, 04:46:09 AM »

I have a theory

Ghosts is what remains and is the sounds of the lone survivor and there are no lyrics because as the lone survivor, no one is around to hear them so its just music to comfort as the person searches for other survivors.

The next album will be the meeting of those survivors to begin a new civilization.

Although Trent has stated this has nothing to do with Year Zero, you are absolutely right in the way the album is making you feel. Its the soundtrack to daydreams, it can be pretty much anything you want it to be.  peace
greendog
« Reply #1206 on: March 07, 2008, 04:49:22 AM »

It is nothing like The Fragile but it sounds more like a natural progression from where The Fragile left off. This would have fit between The Fragile and Year Zero quite nicely... then With Teeth coming out later. I don't care about the order of albums tho, thats just how it sounds like it would have fit.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #1207 on: March 07, 2008, 10:45:52 AM »

I have a theory

Although Trent has stated this has nothing to do with Year Zero, you are absolutely right in the way the album is making you feel. Its the soundtrack to daydreams, it can be pretty much anything you want it to be.  peace

Hehe nice. Thats a trippy theory. It seems so obvious now that I think about it. Whether Trent Reznor said it had nothing to do with Year Zero, when trying to create something from a "purely visual perspective and see what happens" the music created itself. Trent intentionally or not continued the story. I think until Trent tells us in some kind of absolute, I will always view this in that way (even if the story is that abstract).

I think this is the first time since Pink Floyd, that music really paints a story. Not because the artist says it should but, because the music does.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
makane
Legend

« Reply #1208 on: March 07, 2008, 02:40:16 PM »

New Meathead Perspective,

http://www.theninhotline.net/meatpers/html/cartoon032.htm

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #1209 on: March 07, 2008, 02:48:16 PM »

Even though Ghosts wasn't my thing, I do salute Trent for his release plan. 

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: bands who make good music have nothing to fear from letting people hear it for free.  He had Year Zero in a player on the band's page...free.  Now nine free tracks from this one. 

ok

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Gunsnroses-now
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1210 on: March 07, 2008, 09:49:50 PM »

I bought the 10 dollar version, after much a hassle was able to DL everything. The photography I must admit I don't care for, although I like the idea of including a lot of art with music. They just seemed like the stock artsy kind of photos that you're supposed to like because they represent something 'more'. Anyway, the music on Ghosts I-II is pretty sweet. I'm taking my time, waiting on Ghosts III-IV until I get a feel for the first 18 tracks.

Would be awesome if they toured some of this stuff, plus Still, some Fragile and WT material... songs like 'The Fragile', 'Right Where It Belongs', 'All the Love In the World', etc. didn't get played a lot in 05-06-07.
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #1211 on: March 14, 2008, 11:00:46 AM »

Would love to see some sort of a tour based on this too.Something minimalistic; nothing you could fill a traditional stage with.Man and a piano+some dude on bass&guitar- thing. Selected moments from  The Fragile given the Still-treatment, few most stand out Ghosts tracks, some Still-instumentals.Ahh that would be so great.

Ghosts I-IV  has sold  about 800.000 units so far. Not too shabby.

Also, Reznor has began  some sort of " Okay, make me somethig  Ghosts is a soundtrack of" type of a project.
Cool stuff.More about it here:
http://www.youtube.com/ninofficial

Hmm.. from behind link above:
Band Members: Trent Reznor, Alessandro Cortini, Josh Freese
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 11:15:13 AM by LeftToDecay » Logged

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
makane
Legend

« Reply #1212 on: March 15, 2008, 02:29:29 PM »

Would love to see some sort of a tour based on this too.Something minimalistic; nothing you could fill a traditional stage with.Man and a piano+some dude on bass&guitar- thing. Selected moments from  The Fragile given the Still-treatment, few most stand out Ghosts tracks, some Still-instumentals.Ahh that would be so great.

Ghosts I-IV  has sold  about 800.000 units so far. Not too shabby.

Also, Reznor has began  some sort of " Okay, make me somethig  Ghosts is a soundtrack of" type of a project.
Cool stuff.More about it here:
http://www.youtube.com/ninofficial

Hmm.. from behind link above:
Band Members: Trent Reznor, Alessandro Cortini, Josh Freese

I believe the "800,000" units is a first week sales number. But anyway, it seems to be going rather nicely.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1213 on: March 15, 2008, 06:39:08 PM »

This album didnt sell 800,000 units in its first week.

That was "Transactions" which means everything is included, Free DL's everything.

They made 1.6 million, so goin by my math, they made 750,000 off the 3000 limited editions.

So really, if u take those away that leaves 850,000 dollars.

So thats 85,000 units at the 10 dollar price or 170,000 units at the 5 dollar download only price

So goin by a combo, they moved around 100,000 units first week. ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1214 on: March 16, 2008, 06:47:46 PM »

so how is the new instrumental album for those who have bought it?

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
*Timothy*
Banned
VIP

Liberated the WANG!!!

« Reply #1215 on: March 16, 2008, 06:52:27 PM »

really , really good. I can say that it is one of my favorite albums by them.

http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/

Liberating wangs one dong at a time!!!
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #1216 on: March 16, 2008, 06:58:55 PM »

definitely not what i was expecting from trent. its different, thats for sure.

i kinda miss trents voice tho, but its still a nice change of pace for him.

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
makane
Legend

« Reply #1217 on: March 17, 2008, 07:20:21 PM »

This album didnt sell 800,000 units in its first week.

That was "Transactions" which means everything is included, Free DL's everything.

They made 1.6 million, so goin by my math, they made 750,000 off the 3000 limited editions.

So really, if u take those away that leaves 850,000 dollars.

So thats 85,000 units at the 10 dollar price or 170,000 units at the 5 dollar download only price

So goin by a combo, they moved around 100,000 units first week. ok

Ye, I meant "transactions". No way everyone paid  Wink

I found it quite interesting that TR & folks we're surprised by the amount of traffic they caused. I guess TR underestimated what kinda difference there is between "Saul Williams" and "Nine Inch Nails".
Though it was nice to see this concept works, hopefully gets adapted by other artists as well.

Chief
Legend

« Reply #1218 on: March 17, 2008, 08:10:57 PM »

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4442932a4500.html

Nine Inch Nails album earns $2m on Web

The online release of the new Nine Inch Nails album, "Ghosts I-IV," resulted in just under 800,000 transactions in its first week, totalling $US1.6 million ($NZ1.95 million) in revenue, the industrial-rock band has revealed.

The tally includes free and paid downloads, as well as advance orders for physical configurations like various limited-edition vinyl releases, CDs, and a boxed set.

"Ghosts I-IV," the band's first release since becoming a free agent last October, went on sale March 2 at its Web site, www.nin.com. Fans can receive the first nine songs from the 36-track project for free, or can pay $5 for the entire digital album.

NIN will not release traditional sales figures to SoundScan, whose data are used to compiled the Billboard 200 albums chart.

A $US10 double-CD set will reach stores on April 8. A $70 deluxe edition and a $US300 autographed version will ship May 1.

After Nine Inch Nails' contract with Interscope expired, the label released a remix album, "Y34RZ3R0R3MIX3D." The band's last studio release, "Year Zero," debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 last April with 187,000 copies.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #1219 on: March 17, 2008, 09:54:08 PM »

Well i think its safe to say that experiment was a pretty big success.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 118 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: