Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:29:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227811 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Analysing The Changes To The New Songs....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Analysing The Changes To The New Songs....  (Read 3627 times)
Millions
Headliner

It burns when I pee...

« on: June 21, 2007, 11:41:50 AM »

I think now that a bit of time has passed, its a good time to take a more detailed look at the gradual changes which the new songs have undergone as time progresses. Its too easy for people to come out with the usual hackneyed old cliches about the music suffering from over-production, 'too many cooks', the album is ready - just get it out, and all that crap. People are understandably a bit impatient - but this is clouding opinions. The botom line then - are the songs suffering from all this work or not?

I think the obvious example which shows that this over production theory is just a lot of crap is the newest version of Chinese Democracy. This new version is brilliant - miles better than the previous version. A massive improvement  - especially the new kick ass 2nd section of the guitar solo - it lifts the song to a whole new level.

And what about Madagascar - the new vocal is superb. I think this goes to show that the work still being done has definite potential of  significantly improving the final album.

BUT

In order to have a balance debate, I suppose there have been some areas which have gone downhill - and which play into the hands of those who say that Axl's constant over-tampering is harming the record. Examples? Ok - the new guitar solo in Madagascar over the Luther King Speech is deadly dull - meandering nowhere. The previous solo was more melodic, epic, and emotional - so why change it? And Axl's tendency to go a bit too far vocally at the end of songs - going for all those shreaking high notes where they just aren't needed. It can be impressive if used now and again, but he's doing it too much, and it loses its effect, I think. The main area which has suffered though, is the rubbish new guitar solo on Madagascar - its a real shame - I loved that song before.

These are just my opinions - I'm interested to hear what you all think? I'm eager to get away from the same old crap we've heard here a thousand times before. I look forward to hearing your opinions. Can we have an intelligent debate without resorting to childish insults? I think you know who I mean, hehe....
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 11:55:27 AM »

It's true that Chinese Democracy has shown added improvement. Those interludes have been talked about certainly add a lot to the songs we've heard and should tie the songs together brilliant. There Was A Time and IRS have also been imrproved.

Another example where its arguably been weakened would be the Blues, where those guitar melodies have been taken out. But again, this all subjective some people will like the changes to some songs and not others. I like the Madagascar solo, its grown on me, its always meant to just support the quotes whether than be something amazing in of itself.

Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 12:37:51 PM »

I'd prefer it if someone else were doing the backup vocals at the end of Madagascar (like how they play it live) instead of Axl..

There also used to be a keyboard effect in The Blues that would start at the line "I don't know just what I should do" that would be continous through the rest of the song, I don't like that it was taken out.

I can't complain about any changes made to Chinese Democracy... compared to the version played at RIR3, this song has continously grown for the better.
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 01:08:29 PM »

I'd prefer it if someone else were doing the backup vocals at the end of Madagascar (like how they play it live) instead of Axl..

That's the only big critic I had after listening to the track for the first time. Robin should do those vocals, like how its played live)

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
The Prez
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 03:04:18 PM »

In how far are the 'new songs' still new and up-to-date with the current rock n' roll music business?

There is a difference between the opinion of the majority and the thruth...
Jaakko
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 05:02:08 PM »

A good question, these have been in stock quite a time. Still, I think some of the songs sound timeless !
nyd
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 07:55:55 PM »

A good question, these have been in stock quite a time. Still, I think some of the songs sound timeless !

True, "Better" has been played a couple of hundred times according to my windows media player. Not getting bored of it yet  ok
Tatu
Rocker

God

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 08:10:24 PM »

In "The Blues", minute 3:50, I would like to hear the drums which they are played live.

You really know who's Maradona!
Sharky-dude
Headliner

Silence Isn't Golden When I'm Holding It Inside

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 09:21:55 PM »

There also used to be a keyboard effect in The Blues that would start at the line "I don't know just what I should do" that would be continous through the rest of the song, I don't like that it was taken out.

I agree 100%. I looove that part and hate that they changed it. That's why the Boston 2002 version is by far my fav.

!go Jets go!
vanilie
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »

The main area which has suffered though, is the rubbish new guitar solo on Madagascar - its a real shame - I loved that song before.

I agree. BH solo was great. now, live, it is just noise  Sad

let's hope that final version will be BH one.  Smiley
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 09:22:33 PM »

OK, I'm sure Axl would love to hear all about your in depth analysis.........NOT!  Angry

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: