Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:25:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227788 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Proper Promotion?! Duh?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Proper Promotion?! Duh?  (Read 45196 times)
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2007, 11:55:23 AM »

Christos....did you and others like the short cover of "Light My Fire" in Greece'06?
would you agree that such things or the 3x Wembley 6/29/06 covers and "Down on the Farm" are some special/cool compared to the "usual" setlist?
and....did those few changes alienate the fans or would you think they had a great time aswell?

Re-Union time, baby!!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2007, 12:02:12 PM »

They wouldn't be special if they did them every other night.....

Some nights, they'll play something special.

Just like the encore. Some nights it's one song, other nights it could be five songs.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2007, 12:06:51 PM »

I did enjoy it but that is not the point of my discussion with him.

I'm tired of people posting about this the whole time.

The band will play what they feel like.

Not everyone goes all around the world to see them. And most important, the band won't change the setlist for the very few that have enough money to go to different countries and watch almost every show. They will make lots of thousands of fans happy every night, but they won't play for the few privilledged who have enough money to travel everywhere with the band.

And I assure you, those who have done that, had the time of their life. Noone has complained.

Most people are lucky to have seen them once.

Also, not everyone is into bootlegs. So, they won't see all the shows and in the end find the whole tour boring.

A show is a show. You go there to have fun.

Reading about the setlist on the internet has nothing to do with the show.

If they hadn't played Light My Fire in Greece, or the 3 songs in London, I still would have enjoyed the show.

BUT I WAS THERE. I witnessed 6 shows last year, and each and every one of them was amazing.

Go to the shows. Post about a show after having been there.

I'm tired of people posting about "boring setlists" on an updates page.

These are the times when I find myself agreeing with Axl on the "big garbage can" comment...

cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2007, 12:19:17 PM »

We are all sick of seeing the same setlists. Anyone who says they arent is lying.

I love seeing GNR live and the choice of setlist is responsible for only a mere fraction of the total enjoyment.  I saw many shows in 06 and would see them again in 07 like a shot if I could, and I don't care whether it's the same setlist or not.  If you think I'm lying, then fine, but I can assure you I'm not.

We all want this album and COMMON SENSE would have told GnR to kick off yet another tour with some new songs. I love band and I'll go and see them regardless of what they play. But we all know its time for them to start promoting the new stuff.

I don't know your business credentials but I'll make an assumption here that Axl, with over 20 years experience in the music industry, would have a far better idea of what works and what doesn't with regard to staging a successful rock show.  And if you're talking 'common sense', then even my very limited knowledge of the music business would suggest to me that loading your set with songs unknown by almost all of your audience would be a stupid idea.  Quite apart from the fact that anything unheard in public before will be instantly spread over the internet - something that band may not wish for.

Bottom line is that you may think it's time for promotion of new material, but the band obviously has other ideas.  And seeing as how it's their material, I don't see that it's anyone's call but theirs as to when is the right time to release it.  But I think you can rest assured that when it is released, you'll see all the promotion you crave.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
kriss_boy
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2007, 12:25:36 PM »

We are all sick of seeing the same setlists. Anyone who says they arent is lying.

I love seeing GNR live and the choice of setlist is responsible for only a mere fraction of the total enjoyment.? I saw many shows in 06 and would see them again in 07 like a shot if I could, and I don't care whether it's the same setlist or not.? If you think I'm lying, then fine, but I can assure you I'm not.

We all want this album and COMMON SENSE would have told GnR to kick off yet another tour with some new songs. I love band and I'll go and see them regardless of what they play. But we all know its time for them to start promoting the new stuff.

I don't know your business credentials but I'll make an assumption here that Axl, with over 20 years experience in the music industry, would have a far better idea of what works and what doesn't with regard to staging a successful rock show.? And if you're talking 'common sense', then even my very limited knowledge of the music business would suggest to me that loading your set with songs unknown by almost all of your audience would be a stupid idea.? Quite apart from the fact that anything unheard in public before will be instantly spread over the internet - something that band may not wish for.

Bottom line is that you may think it's time for promotion of new material, but the band obviously has other ideas.? And seeing as how it's their material, I don't see that it's anyone's call but theirs as to when is the right time to release it.? But I think you can rest assured that when it is released, you'll see all the promotion you crave.

So your saying your indifferent as to whether or not the band rehearsed 10 or so other tracks and threw them into the mix? Nonsense. Obviously seeing them live is a massive buzz and to a certain extent it doesnt matter what they play... but the point is for the fans, seeing identical setlsits posted after every tour date gets a little disheartning. Especially when we've all heard some awesome new tracks.

I hope your right about the promotion... but I personally think its ridiculous to kick off the CHINESE DEMOCRACY TOUR without even playing the title track of the record.

All the band needs is a definative date for the record and a single. Then suddenly every tour date would be virtually sold out. Instead here we go again, another tour with nothing to promote it.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2007, 12:27:26 PM »

I'm happy with Mexican folk songs. I don't think they will be heard in Australia. Oh for the boots.  drool

Don't see then.

We? don't lie.

I'm rather sick of seeing the same old complaints.

those planktons and their pettiest complaints.
see when the set changes. they will still grumble about any petty thing. rumble on and on and on.
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2007, 12:47:34 PM »

i still say that changing the song order at least would make it more cool for the fans - assuming they wont add new songs or even other unplayed old songs from their big catalogue for whatever reasons -? yeah, some people would still bash BUT a show with an unknown song order (exspecially the 4-5 songs in the beginning) gives more spontanous feeling, it cant hurt a thing, can it? not only for the "unpleased setlist-readers" but also for those who are "really goin to the shows".
and i remember very good that the unknown setlists was a big part of the gnr-rock-n-roll-coolness in the 90s, and hey, it worked out very very fine!!

and yes, i have been to several shows last year, too, also in the 90s.

Re-Union time, baby!!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2007, 01:13:32 PM »

Are you gonna say that the combination of Jungle, It's So Easy and Brownstone doesn't work?

If it aint't broke and all that....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ibelieveinaxl
It's a bad obsession...
Banned
VIP

Ain't goin' down.....

« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2007, 01:23:32 PM »

Are you gonna say that the combination of Jungle, It's So Easy and Brownstone doesn't work?

/jarmo

i dont think hes saying it doesnt work or its broken. i think hes saying it would add more suspense and excitement at the shows if the songs and or the order of the songs were switched up. i totally agree with the poster. in the 90's they never used a setlist, they just played songs as they felt like and based off the vibe of the crowd...i went to over 50 shows in the 90's and that created a lot of excitment. ive been to over 40 new gnr shows and they were all great....just saying the poster has a valid point.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 01:30:57 PM by ibelieveinaxl » Logged

Where does it come from? All this hatred.

1988-Today: 71 shows and counting....
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2007, 01:33:29 PM »

/jarmo

i dont think hes saying it doesnt work or its broken. i think hes saying it would add more suspense and excitement at the shows if the songs and or the order of the songs were switched up. i totally agree with the poster. in the 90's they never used a setlist, they just played songs as they felt like and based off the vibe of the crowd...i went to over 50 shows in the 90's and that created a lot of excitment. ive been to over 40 new gnr shows and they were all great....just saying the poster has a valid point.

If you look at the setlists from the 90s, you'll notice that at first they were experimenting a lot more, but as the tour went on, they figured out what worked.

They still switch around and add songs.

Look at the 2006 setlists for proof.

It just depends on the mood.

/jarmo

ibelieveinaxl
It's a bad obsession...
Banned
VIP

Ain't goin' down.....

« Reply #110 on: June 05, 2007, 01:38:17 PM »

/jarmo

If you look at the setlists from the 90s, you'll notice that at first they were experimenting a lot more, but as the tour went on, they figured out what worked.

They still switch around and add songs.

Look at the 2006 setlists for proof.

It just depends on the mood.

/jarmo

exactly right. if you look at the setlists frm the 90's they were all over the place...different songs, different orders, etc.....those shows were amazing...most of the setlists from 06 and now 07 were mostly the same.....not even close to the variety/suspense of the 90's setlists....i think someone posted a quote of ax from a show in the 90's about setlists....about how they never use a setlist...they play songs based about how they feel at the moment and how he doesnt want people who travel to see them say "they played the same setlist in chicago."

cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #111 on: June 05, 2007, 01:50:33 PM »

I really can't see how switching the setlist around benefits the vast majority of the audience who have no idea in which order the songs were played the previous night anyway.  Jungle is an amazing opener; in my opinion far better that ISE or Nightrain, and I hope that they keep playing it, at least until the album is released.

When I'm watching a show, the experience is so intense that I'm not even thinking about the next song or the one after that, I'm just totally into whatever is going on onstage at that moment.  But, we're all different, so maybe I'm in the minority here...

It's like I said on another thread, I always listen to an album in the way the artist intended, i.e. using the same running order.  Just because I've played it hundreds of times and know what track is coming next, doesn't diminish the enjoyment I get from listening to it.  A live show is the same to me.  Care has to be taken in order to get the flow and balance of energy right when performing live and I think they've achieved that extremely well and don't see the need for change at this stage.

Going back to the shows of the '90s, I haven't got any setlists in front of me but suggest that some people might be looking at those days through somewhat rosy eyes.   From memory, I don't recall the setlists going through vast changes every night on the UK and European tours - they found what worked and, more or less, stuck with it.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
GNRSANDMAN
Rocker

Bring it Axl

« Reply #112 on: June 05, 2007, 01:51:42 PM »

I don't think you're going to get Jarmo to say anything remotely critical about the set list, or GN'R in general at all. ?

CD or no CD, THAT is the question?Huh?
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #113 on: June 05, 2007, 01:53:55 PM »

Let me understand this.....

They are playing in a mostly non-English speaking country, to a crowd of people who have (most likely) not seen the band in the last year or so. ?They should play brand new music, so that the fans can hear songs they don't know in a language they (for the most part) can't understand.

I would think that these fans know the released tracks by heart, they know the words and know the beats. ?They want to hear what they love. ?When CD is released, then they could appreciate the new stuff Grin ?

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2007, 01:59:46 PM »

^^ agree to "ibelieveinaxl"

want to add i am happy about every gnr show and the fans who are attending them. but when reading setlists i would feel more happy not only for me or the band but also for the fans within the show when they'd change the order some more at least, too. like....wow.....the Aussies got Nightrain as opener and SCOM as encore! some special show for them , cool!
and "you know where the f*** you are?" works perfect in a later part of the show, too!
jungle, easy, brownstone work, sure, but so did easy/nightrain/perfect crime as openers aswell.
and the first 3 (well actually its the first 4 with LALD being no4 mostly) are being played in that order since 2001...come on!

when the majority of fans @ a show has no idea about what songs being played.....the setlist doesnt matter (much) for them. but it does for some/for the die hards (and yes there are a lot people KNOWING the setlists/reading boards etc.) who actually spend the most money/time on gnr compared to the normal public. why not pleasing them aswell when others dont care? its easy to do at least with "changing the order" when not willing to add others from their catalogue (which is still some other weird issue - but lets leave that out), huh?

Re-Union time, baby!!
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #115 on: June 05, 2007, 02:00:36 PM »

I don't think you're going to get Jarmo to say anything remotely critical about the set list, or GN'R in general at all. ?

i'm trying hard  hihi

actually its only a discussion on a discussion board  peace

Re-Union time, baby!!
ibelieveinaxl
It's a bad obsession...
Banned
VIP

Ain't goin' down.....

« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2007, 02:09:38 PM »

i'm trying hard? hihi

actually its only a discussion on a discussion board? peace

absolutely! ive been a die hard for over 20 years because of all the fun, excitement, and joy the band has brought to me. these board discussions are for fun and talking about the band we love. im not into fighting or arguing about the band we all love...thats not what discussions are about..we all can talk about and discuss band issues and just because we disagree doesnt mean we dont love the band....

shaunbhoy
Banned
Rocker

All HTGTH Moderators are Pussy's

« Reply #117 on: June 05, 2007, 02:16:37 PM »

l think its important to have some new songs and some old songs in the setlist cause hey, People pay to see G'N'R right? and G'N'R is who their gonna see Wink

Sometimes l Feel Like I'm Beating A Dead Horse
JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #118 on: June 05, 2007, 02:44:06 PM »

Does it really matter what the tour is promoted as? If you dont like the setlist dont go. If you dont like it being called "Chinese Democracy World Tour" dont go. If you don't like the way Jarmo runs this place dont come back...

There seems to be a lot of negative energy amongst GNR fans lately... who are we blaming this week? Axl? Beta? Del? Jarmo? Hoarders? Leakers?
agreed.? I am going to see any shows in my area regardless of the name of the tour, or what songs they choose to play for the set.? ?I don't get why people think they are entitled to make demands.? ? Some people just need to be constantly negative, I guess its gratifying on some level for these people to know they are irritating the true GnR fans.

Just keep posting Jim Bob's post because it makes the most sense.? I'm going to hit shows near me if able and buy a new c.d. when it comes out.? I also just re-bought AFD & UYI so I have it in both cars.? It's music and entertainment for us to enjoy and if we don't like it then we wouldn't buy or listen to it.? Should some one go on a message board and complain about how someone performs at their job?? Just let the pro's do what they do.? They have been doing ok for a long time.? I bet any amount that Axl could not do what I've done or what I'm doing now professionally.? Nor should He and the band care, unless it's for him personally.? I don't care how they do their thing as long as they are still out to entertain and if they stop, I'll continue on with my life.? Later..JMack..?

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #119 on: June 05, 2007, 03:12:31 PM »

most casual fans see a show from a tour. they are more than 70% of the crowd at each show I assume.

If you are seeing a band only once, what kind of stelist would youu like them to play?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: