Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 11:37:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227963 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Your ideal man/ woman
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your ideal man/ woman  (Read 20570 times)
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2007, 07:32:07 AM »

Nixon is right again.  Almost all long-term studies show that the opposites attract relationships are short-lived and tend not to work out in the long-run.  What's "fun, exciting, and different," isn't a great equation for long-term stability and happiness...for most folks of course, but there are always going to be exceptions.
 peace

I never really went out with an opposite.  I mean, fat, lazy, stupid, and impetuous women never really caught my eye.   Grin

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
GeraldFord
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2007, 07:41:29 AM »

If you look at couples, you never get two funnies together or two depressed together. Opposite attracts and feed on one another. Your comment was a bit immature.
I can't quote anything offhand, but in the long-run, studies find that opposites DO NOT attract. Long lasting relationships are formed from when two people share similar socioeconomic status, interests, and world/religous views.

Erm not exactly true i had an 11 year relationship with someone and we were and still are complete opposites of each other, ok it finished last year, but there are still attempts to get the relationship going again

Ok not the best argument but it is possible to be happy with someone opposite to you

Some opposite-attract relationships may work out, but as a general rule they do not.

Now I have that shitty Paula Abdual (sp?) song stuck in my head!? rant
anythinggoes
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2007, 07:44:10 AM »

If you look at couples, you never get two funnies together or two depressed together. Opposite attracts and feed on one another. Your comment was a bit immature.
I can't quote anything offhand, but in the long-run, studies find that opposites DO NOT attract. Long lasting relationships are formed from when two people share similar socioeconomic status, interests, and world/religous views.

Erm not exactly true i had an 11 year relationship with someone and we were and still are complete opposites of each other, ok it finished last year, but there are still attempts to get the relationship going again

Ok not the best argument but it is possible to be happy with someone opposite to you

Some opposite-attract relationships may work out, but as a general rule they do not.

Now I have that shitty Paula Abdual (sp?) song stuck in my head!? rant

Just in case you couldnt remember all the words

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbknGnZXHUk
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2007, 07:44:49 AM »

I had to choreograph a dance to that song!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 07:46:29 AM by stolat » Logged

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2007, 09:22:45 AM »

Nixon is right again.? Almost all long-term studies show that the opposites attract relationships are short-lived and tend not to work out in the long-run.? What's "fun, exciting, and different," isn't a great equation for long-term stability and happiness...for most folks of course, but there are always going to be exceptions.
 peace

I never really went out with an opposite.? I mean, fat, lazy, stupid, and impetuous women never really caught my eye.? ?Grin

rofl

so true dude.

On the other hand if you see a mean, fat, lazy, stupid and impetous man with a supermodel you know the guy got cash.

Like this;

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
Jessica
aged 12 years in 12 years
Legend

Still there

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2007, 09:40:15 AM »

I was talking opposite personalities in some aspects, you got confused there.

Two people can come from similar socioeconomic status, have common interests and values and views and still be extremely different, opposite even.

But you do have a tendency to do this with all threads though, you take one end of a thing without reading it or into it well and reply something that is actually true, although always slightly or sometimes, completely out of the subject.

In this case, a personality that is positive or negative has NOTHING to do with what you mentionned.

And i do agree with what you said, although out of subject.

Nothing to say
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2007, 09:50:13 AM »

Two people can come from similar socioeconomic status, have common interests and values and views and still be extremely different, opposite even.

But you do have a tendency to do this with all threads though, you take one end of a thing without reading it or into it well and reply something that is actually true, although always slightly or sometimes, completely out of the subject.

In this case, a personality that is positive or negative has NOTHING to do with what you mentionned.

Actually, personality is a product of socio-economic status, family values and views......
Interests are dictated by personality.......

So it does have something to do with it. Every human being is formed 50% by their genes and 50% by the environment they grow up in........

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
MCT
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2007, 10:18:34 AM »

My ideal man = MCT.? ?love

See guys? Size isn't everything...
GeraldFord
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2007, 10:43:21 AM »

Ah no, I did not get confused there. Personality has EVERYTHING to do with the factors I listed. You can nit-pick all you like, but your original point was "Opposite attracts and feed on one another" which studies find is not true. So I will take the word of sociologists over your intuition.

Oh yeah, my reading compression is just fine btw. I challenge you do go into every thread that I have ever posted in and show how I have posted something true but out of context, except for this thread of course which I admit I took off course.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:02:41 AM by RichardNixon » Logged
GeraldFord
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2007, 11:02:06 AM »

So it does have something to do with it. Every human being is formed 50% by their genes and 50% by the environment they grow up in........

I don't think it's 50/50 nature/nurture. I think it's more like 25 nature and 75 nurture. I think we are the products of our environments far more than we are aware. The views and values and the social mores we hold are so often indoctrinated into us since childhood.

And again, people who hold similar views are the ones that are going to get along. Obviously each and every person is unique so two people in a couple will be different in some respects, but at the core, opposites do not attract.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2007, 11:03:46 AM »

I don't think it's 50/50 nature/nurture. I think it's more like 25 nature and 75 nurture. I think we are the products of our environments far more than we are aware. The views and values and the social mores we hold are so often indoctrinated into us since childhood.

And again, people who hold similar views are the ones that are going to get along. Obviously each and every person is unique so two people in a couple will be different in some respects, but at the core, opposites do not attract.

Dude, I'm a teacher, I was taught these facts in Educational Psychology at university. 50% genes, 50% environment.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
GeraldFord
« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2007, 11:13:19 AM »

The nature/nurture debate is one that will go one forever. There is no one, objective "correct" answer that everyone in the academic world will agree on. My own personal opinion is that who we are has more to do with our environment than our genetic disposition.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2007, 11:19:36 AM »

This is science though. The claim has been proven scientifically.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
GeraldFord
« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2007, 11:28:10 AM »

You can't claim that!

Show me ONE study where scientists prove that it's 50/50 nature/nurture.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2007, 11:30:41 AM »

I was told this information during a lecture at uni. The lecturer explained that enough tests have been done to provide enough clear evidence.

Dude! who wants to talk science when a concert is on! GOOGLE IT.

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
GeraldFord
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2007, 11:37:35 AM »

I don't know what this professor said, perhaps he/she said that after looking at some studies it is likely that it's 50/50 nature/nurture. But there is no clear evidence to give a definitive answer on the nature/nurture debate.

However, the debate is ongoing. It's like "what is the meaning of life."
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »

I don't know what this professor said, perhaps he/she said that after looking at some studies it is likely that it's 50/50 nature/nurture.

No that's philosophy. Roll Eyes

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
GeraldFord
« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2007, 11:45:30 AM »

I don't know what this professor said, perhaps he/she said that after looking at some studies it is likely that it's 50/50 nature/nurture.

No that's philosophy. Roll Eyes

"Are people who they are because of nature or nurture" is a question that scientists, philosophers and sociologists could try to answer.

And it's like the meaning of life question in the sense that there will never be an objective answer that everyone can agree is fact.
stolat
Banned
VIP

« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2007, 11:49:29 AM »

Yes they are all different avenues of SCIENCE! Yawn....

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
GeraldFord
« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2007, 12:16:25 PM »

Ah, no...

Unless you mean social science....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: