Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:20:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227796 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The same setlist is not the same setlist
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The same setlist is not the same setlist  (Read 17627 times)
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« on: July 01, 2007, 01:01:56 PM »

Why are people complaining about the setlist?  I am totally blown away by this complaint.  I honestly don't get this. 

When you listen to Appetite For Destruction...is it different every time?  I've listened to that album about a 1000 times.  I get excited every time I hear it even though it's the same playlist.   I watch concert videos over and over and those have the exact same setlist...and even the same onstage banter and same crowd.  The good ones I don't get tired of.  Do you drink a different beer every night?  Do you eat differnet food every day of your life?  If you enjoy something, why is wrong to enjoy it multiple times?

How is playing the same playlist as the night before constitute as a bad show?  On broadway, actors perform the same musical every night....they can still have a great show every night.

IMO, GNR is getting better with every show.  I listened online to a show early in the 2006 tour...it was good, not great.  But then when I saw them in LA in December, they were amazing.  I was totally blown away.  A breath-taking show.  Even though it was the same setlist as previous shows...the concert still rocked.  I would see them again (with the exact same setlist) in a heartbeat.

GNR is up against a wall.  People are still bagging on this new version of the band.  Right now they are on a mission: To prove to the world that this new version of the band IS Guns 'N' Roses.  Playing the same setlist every night gives the abillity to hone the show so every fan in every city gets the best show possible.  They are trying to make every fan walk out of that arena and say "Guns N Roses is back!" and to forget about the old band.  They want this band to be the one they are dying to hear when the new CD comes out.  And so far...they are doing a fantastic job.

Maybe they're not playing a "great" show every night...they're playing a "fantastic" show.  Would it make you happier if we said that?

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
SLCPUNK
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 01:05:42 PM »

When you listen to Appetite For Destruction...is it different every time? 

I have sent almost 23 emails to GNR Mgt about this, but they have yet to reply to my (legitimate) complaint about the above mentioned track list. I guess I'll just keep listening to it in the meantime.
give_it_a_rest
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 01:06:11 PM »

Because those people complain about almost everything. When they play a different setlist every night, it's not different enough for them. ?peace
SLCPUNK
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 01:08:22 PM »

I have a feeling that most of those cry babies who complain just never get to go to the shows, and are stuck behind their monitors instead. Of all my GnR shows, I've never heard anybody complain about the set list, juts the nerds here.
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 02:06:34 PM »

very good point acompleteunknown ok good post

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
just_one
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 02:12:52 PM »

let me put it this way

are the shows good? no doubt

but is gnr is  a band that deserves to be followed while on tour?

NO

why?

cause the setlist is always the same

u have seen one show , u have seen them all
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 02:24:01 PM »

It is hard for me to accept I will never hear Civil War, Coma, Breakdown, or Dead Horse live - possibly ever again.   Cry  I think this is tragic because they are such great songs.  I am sure Axl knows the words, and the rest of the band should be able to play them if they want to be considered members of GNR.  So I really am not sure what the big deal would be.

Civil War gets played to this day on main stream rock stations, so it is not like people would not recognize it.

I saw GNR 4X's last year and had fun at every show - it just would be nice to throw in a UYI song or something.  Axl's philosphy on the setlist has changed for some reason.

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 02:24:42 PM »

I really don't care about the setlist I just really want the cd.  I don't think people will take them seriously til they put something out.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 02:28:13 PM »

you have to look past the complaints

people are bitching about the setlist, because they want new songs, cause they are curious, and more new songs live can mean CD will come soon.

SterileEyes
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 02:41:41 PM »

Anytime I post a thread like this defending the same setlist "issue" it gets deleted...but anyway...

I don't care personally, went 3 times last year and the only variation was Down on the Farm at one of the shows, other than that everything was the same except maybe I.R.S. was played in the encore once instead of the back end of the set.

Here is a legitimate argument though - old GN'R went onstage every night and played different songs. Look at old setlist archives - they would play 10 dates in two weeks and on the 7th date for no reason they'd throw in "Locomotive" or "Coma" just for the hell of it. When they played four nights at the L.A. forum, they opened with Perfect Crime every night and maybe had the same couple of songs after that, but for the rest of the night, all bets were off. In my opinion that's what made them "phenomenal" and not just "great" as a live act.

What I'm trying to say is they weren't afraid to take risks. Part of what made Guns N' Roses the biggest band in the world at the time is that they were dangerous, unscripted, you never knew when they'd play a three and a half hour show just for the hell of it and you never knew when Axl might tear into a 5 minute rant.

As far as your argument about listening to Appetite 1,000 times or drinking the same beer - it's a live concert. Would you watch the same movie in the theater 5 nights in a week if it cost $90 a pop?

Someone said they're not a band to 'follow around on tour' for most people anymore. I agree. Three times was enough until something changes. But, I'm a huge Tool fan, they play nearly the same identical set every night and they only give you a 90 minute show. Does that mean I hate Tool and will never see them again and think they're a terrible live act? No, hardly. Do I have a decent excuse in my mind for not seeing them again until they put out something new? Sure, that's fair I think.

Again, I don't care that the set is mostly the same these days. My theory is they have to go out and establish themselves all over the world so they're going with what they know works. Good for them and I wish them luck. I got my three shows already, I have no gripes with folks in Australia and Japan getting the same awesome experience I got.

I do hope that when (if) the album comes out they start to vary it up quite a bit though...especially if they do multiple nights in the same city.

Follow the link below to hear my cover of "Pretty Tied Up"

http://www.myspace.com/marlahooch1
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 02:45:38 PM »

people continue to bitch about the setlist but they fail to mention that EVERY song on the setlist is AWESOME....
TWAT RULES
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2007, 04:04:38 PM »

to be taken seriously as a band and not just considered "hired guns" by the casual fans, the cd needs to be released and the entire disc needs to be played live.  i don't think more than 6 or 8 old songs should be played live by this version of the band, they did not have anything to do with the making of those songs.  the new songs are amazing and this band kicks some serious ass, but it's time for the cd to be unleashed and all new songs to be played instead of the band basically playing 15 cover tunes a night
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 04:10:05 PM »

to be taken seriously as a band and not just considered "hired guns" by the casual fans, the cd needs to be released and the entire disc needs to be played live.? i don't think more than 6 or 8 old songs should be played live by this version of the band, they did not have anything to do with the making of those songs.? the new songs are amazing and this band kicks some serious ass, but it's time for the cd to be unleashed and all new songs to be played instead of the band basically playing 15 cover tunes a night
Well stay tuned because there's NO indication that the CD is coming out any time soon.  Until then enjoy the fact that they're playing some fantastic shows.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
kriss_boy
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 04:14:59 PM »

Guns n Roses have 50 amazing songs. Yet they only ever chose to play 20 or so live.

Thats why we moan.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 04:15:26 PM »

Fawking nerds.......I swear to gawd.  no
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2007, 04:31:03 PM »

Guns n Roses have 50 amazing songs. Yet they only ever chose to play 20 or so live.

Thats why we moan.
How many shows have YOU seen the new lineup play?  MOST people have only had the chance to see them once or twice.  I myself have seen them twice, once in '02 and once in '06.  And they didn't play the SAME setlist.  The fact is that at MOST of these shows people are seeing the band and hearing these songs live for the first time in many, many years.  What good would it do for you to read that the band played "Coma" in Budapest?  You're not there, so why would it matter?  Like the guy said who's seen them 3 times.  He saw basically the same set so he's choosing not to see them anymore.  That's his choice, for me it really doesn't matter what they play as long as they play it well, and that's pretty much a given.  People just love to complain, can't ever be truly satisfied, and obviously you can't expect to please everyone.  People seem to forget that back in the early 90's when GNR was varying their setlist on a nightly basis that they were "the most dangerous band in the world" at that time.  100,000's of fans were flocking to see them, many probably following them to multiple venues.  That's just not the case anymore.  It's a new lineup, minus Slash, no NEW material officially released in 16 years.  It's not 1991 anymore, I suggest you come to grips with that and enjoy the fact that the band is out there doing there thing, and doing it very well.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 04:34:18 PM »

I personally dont mind the setlists.  Others think its a valid criticism. 
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 04:36:22 PM »

Thats why we moan.
How many shows have YOU seen the new lineup play?? MOST people have only had the chance to see them once or twice.? I myself have seen them twice, once in '02 and once in '06.? And they didn't play the SAME setlist.? The fact is that at MOST of these shows people are seeing the band and hearing these songs live for the first time in many, many years.? What good would it do for you to read that the band played "Coma" in Budapest?? You're not there, so why would it matter?? Like the guy said who's seen them 3 times.? He saw basically the same set so he's choosing not to see them anymore.? That's his choice, for me it really doesn't matter what they play as long as they play it well, and that's pretty much a given.? People just love to complain, can't ever be truly satisfied, and obviously you can't expect to please everyone.? People seem to forget that back in the early 90's when GNR was varying their setlist on a nightly basis that they were "the most dangerous band in the world" at that time.? 100,000's of fans were flocking to see them, many probably following them to multiple venues.? That's just not the case anymore.? It's a new lineup, minus Slash, no NEW material officially released in 16 years.? It's not 1991 anymore, I suggest you come to grips with that and enjoy the fact that the band is out there doing there thing, and doing it very well.

EXACTLY!!!! ?ok

To the poster who said they plaed locomotive and coma every 6 shows or whatever.. They played thos songs like 4 or 5 times max, EVER...

If you dont like the setlist, stay off the net and you wont know they're playing the same stuff each night... Yes it would be great to hear civil war but hey it dont get played then to bad...
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2007, 04:46:07 PM »

I personally dont mind the setlists.  Others think its a valid criticism. 

Holy fuck.

If somebody else had made that post, it would just be sad, but since it's just you, it's just 100% Booker.

Velvet Revolver, the band who still says they're dangerous and unpredictable, play the same show every night which I pointed out and now you're trying to use that against me?

You're so petty Booker.

Why don't you go back to illegally downloading VR tracks and discussing their greatness even though the band is against that? Keep disrespecting the band and acting like it never happened.  Kiss

Let the real GN'R fans post here.

Enjoy the warning.  ok

/jarmo
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 04:48:19 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 04:55:51 PM »

I think the setlist has a good flow to it-in the early days, I remember they said they kind of "winged" it, but if they did it now I just think it would ruin the flow of any band who did that.

libertad
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: