Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 08:15:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228015 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Scott Weiland Interview Washington Post
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Weiland Interview Washington Post  (Read 36938 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #160 on: August 04, 2007, 10:25:39 AM »

No.

It's just that he said he didn't love Scott's band or wasn't a fan of any of the albums the producer had done in the past.

Then he's in a band with Scott and using the producer who produced the band he hated (Pearl Jam).

Scott even says some of the stuff they (VR) did on Contraband reminded  him of Core-era STP which was the time when they were labeled Pearl Jam clones.....

It's all kinda ironic don't you think?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2007, 10:54:50 AM »

No, youre just reaching very, very hard.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2007, 10:57:46 AM »

No, youre just reaching very, very hard.

Yeah, it's so hard to make the comparison between Slash hating Pearl Jam and him being in a band with a singer of a PJ clone band.  hihi

It's almost like if he hated Judas Priest and ended with Ripper Owens as his singer.  Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #163 on: August 04, 2007, 11:32:35 AM »

I don't think it sounds like Slash was a fan of STP at all. But it's not like it's a big deal. For instance I have always liked Lenny Kravitz singing but I don't like any of his songs or own anything he has ever done. If he was unknown and my band was looking for a singer and I heard a tape of "fly away" I would think "wow this song sucks but he has a great voice. I should try working with him and see what happens." That being said no one can deny that Scott being so successful with STP and his personal problems making him that much more of a known name had SOMETHING to do with him joining VR. How much it had to do no one here really knows but it was certainly a factor.

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #164 on: August 04, 2007, 02:45:51 PM »

No.

It's just that he said he didn't love Scott's band or wasn't a fan of any of the albums the producer had done in the past.

Then he's in a band with Scott and using the producer who produced the band he hated (Pearl Jam).

Scott even says some of the stuff they (VR) did on Contraband reminded? him of Core-era STP which was the time when they were labeled Pearl Jam clones.....

/jarmo

Only the vocals on the song "Plush" brought the comparison, which also happened to be their breakout hit. The songs on Core that reminded him of VR had to have been "Sex Type Thing" and "Crackerman". He sings with sorta similiar vocals as those two songs, and regularly added them into the contraband VR setlist.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #165 on: August 04, 2007, 03:30:47 PM »

I don't think it sounds like Slash was a fan of STP at all. But it's not like it's a big deal. For instance I have always liked Lenny Kravitz singing but I don't like any of his songs or own anything he has ever done. If he was unknown and my band was looking for a singer and I heard a tape of "fly away" I would think "wow this song sucks but he has a great voice. I should try working with him and see what happens." That being said no one can deny that Scott being so successful with STP and his personal problems making him that much more of a known name had SOMETHING to do with him joining VR. How much it had to do no one here really knows but it was certainly a factor.

exactly... thats what I was trying to say.. I see nothing wrong in all this.

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Wheres Izzy
VIP

« Reply #166 on: August 04, 2007, 09:36:30 PM »

Yeah I mean wasn't Brian Johnson more of a pop singer before replacing Bon in AC/DC? At least that's what I think I remember hearing. He was in some pop group named Jordie or some shit. I doubt Angus and Malcom rocked out to Jordie on a regular basis.

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #167 on: August 05, 2007, 08:53:45 AM »

Yeah I mean wasn't Brian Johnson more of a pop singer before replacing Bon in AC/DC? At least that's what I think I remember hearing. He was in some pop group named Jordie or some shit. I doubt Angus and Malcom rocked out to Jordie on a regular basis.

That's a very good point
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #168 on: August 05, 2007, 08:59:04 AM »

What? that Scott's personal problems had SOMETHING to do with him joining VR?

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Wheres Izzy
VIP

« Reply #169 on: August 05, 2007, 09:26:05 AM »

What? that Scott's personal problems had SOMETHING to do with him joining VR?

Not at all how you're making it sound. What I was saying was that Scott's personal problems made him more famous. People knew Stone Temple Pilots because they're songs were on the radio. People knew Scott Weiland by name because he was constantly in trouble with drugs. Him being famous and a known name probably had something to do with him joining Velvet Revolver.

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #170 on: August 05, 2007, 09:49:42 AM »

nobody knows scott weiland in europe.

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #171 on: August 05, 2007, 09:51:03 AM »

I think Where's Izzy mentioned the personal problems first.

You post didn't explain which good point you were referring to in all those quotes. I was just asking for clarification.

Or if you think it is a good point that Brain and Angus and Malcom were rockin out to Jordie on a regular basis?

or that you see nothing wrong in all this?

Or if you think that it doesn't sound like Slash is a fan of STP?

By the way: I think it is a great point that no-one Knows Scott Weiland in Europe DeN.? ? ? ok
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 10:03:33 AM by stolat » Logged

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Wheres Izzy
VIP

« Reply #172 on: August 05, 2007, 11:56:07 AM »

I think Where's Izzy mentioned the personal problems first.

You post didn't explain which good point you were referring to in all those quotes. I was just asking for clarification.

Or if you think it is a good point that Brain and Angus and Malcom were rockin out to Jordie on a regular basis?

or that you see nothing wrong in all this?

Or if you think that it doesn't sound like Slash is a fan of STP?

By the way: I think it is a great point that no-one Knows Scott Weiland in Europe DeN.? ? ? ok

What on earth are you talking about.

First thing I said: It doesn't sound like Slash was a fan. I also pointed out that Scott's drug problems made him much more famous, at least in America. I also explained that I don't believe it matters if you are a fan of someones talent and not their work.

Right there I said I DOUBT that Angus and Mal listened to Jordie and were big fans.

RTK
Headliner

« Reply #173 on: August 05, 2007, 08:02:58 PM »

nobody knows scott weiland in europe.

And fortunately, Europe isn't the ultimate place to "make it" for musicians, what's important is that someone is well known in America.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #174 on: August 05, 2007, 08:11:41 PM »

[quote author=RTK link=topic=48035.msg980323#msg980323 date=1186358578
And fortunately, Europe isn't the ultimate place to "make it" for musicians, what's important is that someone is well known in America.

This is absolutely true. 
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #175 on: August 05, 2007, 08:23:37 PM »

But the problem is when you Americans tell the rest of the world about how big Scott Weiland is.....

To put things into perspective: Axl Rose, Bono, Mick Jagger, Kurt Cobain.....

Scott Weiland doesn't belong in that group of people who are known all over the world.

I believe that's the point the original poster was trying to make.

/jarmo

Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #176 on: August 05, 2007, 08:33:17 PM »

[quote author=RTK link=topic=48035.msg980323#msg980323 date=1186358578

This is absolutely true.?

I'm sorry, but that is a narrow-minded and arrogant perspective.  I am an American and love and appreciate that I was able to grow up in America, but to think that it is the be all, end all of the music world is narrow-minded and arrogant.  Granted, it may be most important for Scott Weiland to make it in America because he is American, but the music-buying, concert-attending world does not end with America.

Ali
chinese democrazy
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2007, 08:58:13 PM »

america is like the big leagues of the music business
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #178 on: August 05, 2007, 09:03:39 PM »

america is like the big leagues of the music business

Again, that may be the case for an American musician or band, but may not be for artists from other countries.  This isn't like Major League Baseball where there is a structured, definite hierarchy.  America may be a bigger market, but it isn't the only market at all.  So to think that it is the only market would be a mistake for any artist.

Ali
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #179 on: August 05, 2007, 09:14:15 PM »

I'm sorry, but that is a narrow-minded and arrogant perspective.

RTK didnt say it America was the "be all, end all of the music world," nor did he say the "music-buying, concert-attending world" ends with America; youre making up statements to argue a point that wasnt made.  I read his post in the context of the threads subject - an American musician.  "Musicians" might be too general a subject, although Id still argue that America is the most desirable market in which to become successful for any musician/entertainer.  The fact is that when discussing Weiland, or any American artist, America is most important.  The rest of the world is less so.  You might not like it, but its a simple truth.  That doesnt suggest the hyperbole you made up.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: