Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 07, 2024, 12:37:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228010 Posts in 43257 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Libertad debuts well below Contraband
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Libertad debuts well below Contraband  (Read 90001 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2007, 08:56:50 PM »

I think it will just be a critically acclaimed album like Exile on Main St. was.? No big hits, just a lot of good tunes.? I am happy with it.? The band is happy with it.? Its okay.? As the tour progresses, album sales will pick up.

Please for the love of god, don't compare that pile of crap to Exile on Main St. Libertad is Nowhere as near as good of an album as anything the Stones have released

I agree.  But exhile had 0 hits on it.  0, zero, zilch.  I am not saying it is that good, but a great album doesn't need hits.  Exhile didn't sell that well either.  I think the album is great.
difleha
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2007, 09:50:55 PM »

It's weird. I've heard talks of Libertad being a better album than Contraband, but these numbers, they're so disappointing.
Jackamo!
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2007, 10:00:32 PM »

I think it'll do better over time.

A.K.A Once "The Last Fight" is released.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2007, 10:17:53 PM »

Not too surprised really. I haven't heard SBQM on the radio at all here in Australia and the album hasn't had that much promotion either.

And, I still think Contraband was a better album too.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
GeraldFord
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2007, 10:58:33 PM »

Tool sold 564,000 the first week in May 2006! People talk out of their ass hihi

Well Libertad is shaping up to be a flop, unless word of mouth and/or The Last Fight save its ass this album won't even sniff platinum and will have to settle for just north of gold

It's understandable, people want their favorite bands to do well.? So they will try to rationalize this disappointing debut.? But 100,000 is pretty bad for a band with this kind of starpower, especially when their debut album sold so much more just a few years back.? You can bet that the label is very disappointed and I doubt VR are particularly happy with it either

I think it's way too early to call the album a flop. While the opening sales are admittedly disappointing, the album could still have some staying power. I know the last Buckcherry album sold a million in the states, and it took a while, via word of mouth and a couple strong, but not huge singles.

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2007, 12:04:43 AM »

I think it'll do better over time.

A.K.A Once "The Last Fight" is released.

I think American Man would do really well too. Some great Slash axework and a nice, tight chorus.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #66 on: July 10, 2007, 12:20:17 AM »

I think American Man would do really well too. Some great Slash axework and a nice, tight chorus.

Not a bad suggestion.  I still think "Get Out The Door" is the consensus third single, but a fourth - if there is one - is very much wide open.  I think "Let It Roll" and "Just Sixteen" are good contenders and "She Mine" seems to be a band favorite.  "American Man" is one of my favorites from the album, but its verses are difficult to understand and its breakdown might not be single-friendly. 

I think Id ultimately go with "Just Sixteen." 
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #67 on: July 10, 2007, 12:25:31 AM »

Not a bad suggestion.? I still think "Get Out The Door" is the consensus third single, but a fourth - if there is one - is very much wide open.? I think "Let It Roll" and "Just Sixteen" are good contenders and "She Mine" seems to be a band favorite.? "American Man" is one of my favorites from the album, but its verses are difficult to understand and its breakdown might not be single-friendly.?

I think Id ultimately go with "Just Sixteen."?

I'm surprised "Mary Mary" isn't getting more run beyond the songs mentioned above.

Extremely catchy,great chorus.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2007, 12:30:44 AM »

^
I still dont agree completely.

Its a good chorus, Not as great as u guys rave about in my opinion.

I just now figured out "Get Out The Door" is about a tranvestite!!!!!!! that could be a funny video.

Just Sixteen isnt that good in my opinion, I hate the lyrics.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2007, 01:01:37 AM »

Just Sixteen isnt that good in my opinion, I hate the lyrics.

I cant understand how any GNR fan could dislike "Just Sixteen."  I also think the lyrics are good.

I like "Mary, Mary" quite a bit as well, but it just doesnt strike me as a single.  I wish I had an explanation as to why, but I dont. 

Does anybody else think that "Mary, Mary" sounds somewhat like a hybrid between "Big Machine" and "Superhuman" and "Illegal i Song?"  The intro and verses have a bit of a "Big Machine" feel; the pre-chorus has the high-pitched, Alice In Chains "Again"-styled "ooh oohs" last heard in "Superhuman;" and the ending has the same kind of repeatedly yelled line "Illegal i Song"s did.  I realize that these are basically VR conventions to some extent, but those three songs come to mind each time I hear "Mary, Mary."
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2007, 01:32:12 AM »

I like Just 16, and I agree it's one of the better tracks on Libertad, but I dislike Dave's fuzzy/farting guitar sound. I usually pan it over to one side so I can just hear Slash's playing.

Dave's guitar annoys me a fair bit on this album and with Slash's cleaner tone, it doesn't mix very well.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2007, 01:34:28 AM »

I like Just 16, and I agree it's one of the better tracks on Libertad, but I dislike Dave's fuzzy/farting guitar sound. I usually pan it over to one side so I can just hear Slash's playing.

Dave's guitar annoys me a fair bit on this album and with Slash's cleaner tone, it doesn't mix very well.

Yeah, same here. I noticed that too. On 'Just 16' as well as the start of the solo in GraveDancer. First time I heard it, I thought my speakers were distorting.. no

Fuck 'Em All.
stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2007, 03:30:09 AM »

This is Who Magazine's review of She Builds Quick Machines:

" Three ex-Guns N' Roses members and an ex-Stone Temple Pilots singer do the expected, producing a song that's three- quarters hair metal, one quarter post-grunge. It's also four quarters stereotyped and dispiriting. 1/5"

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2007, 04:46:53 AM »

Jesus, am I the only person who really likes Contraband?
Nope I still listen to it and enjoy it..  I sure as hell didn't expect libertad to sell anything near contraband...

There's isn't near the hype or publicity this time around... They have a core audience and will do well live they just won't sell a ton of albums unless they had a scom that everyone loved..

I always love hair metal refrences.. I guess anyone who ever sang or played rock in the 80's and had their hair teased was hair metal''..
jak0lantern01
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2007, 11:54:22 AM »

Libertad is way too pop sounding. Sorry, it's true. Contraband was way more rocking and had catchier tunes. Very disappointing in my book, and I'm a big fan of pretty much everyone in the band. Slash is God. Unfortunately, even God can't save this one. It's so pop that I could easily hear it in a radio line-up of Avril Lavigne(?), Blink-182, and Velvet Revolver. So much for getting a great rock album this summer.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2007, 12:04:15 PM »

Libertad is way too pop sounding. Sorry, it's true. Contraband was way more rocking and had catchier tunes. Very disappointing in my book, and I'm a big fan of pretty much everyone in the band. Slash is God. Unfortunately, even God can't save this one. It's so pop that I could easily hear it in a radio line-up of Avril Lavigne(?), Blink-182, and Velvet Revolver. So much for getting a great rock album this summer.

i agree its pretty commericial sounding with the majority of its songs containing lame chorus's and weak not very powerful guitar driven verses

html sucks
jak0lantern01
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2007, 12:19:58 PM »

Yeah, I thought this one was to be the answer to Contraband's light-on-guitar's sound. My band has no issues doing a cover of almost anything from Contraband, I couldn't pick a single song from Libertad worth learning.
Meanbone1980
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2007, 01:21:42 PM »

Well there are enough good songs on Libertad like Pill demon etc, American man, Gave dancer, let it roll, Get out the door. Most of those songs are better then most songs on Controband, so i think the problem is the quality of your band who can't play the songs jak0lantern01 ? Wink
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2007, 01:38:57 PM »

Well there are enough good songs on Libertad like Pill demon etc, American man, Gave dancer, let it roll, Get out the door. Most of those songs are better then most songs on Controband, so i think the problem is the quality of your band who can't play the songs jak0lantern01 ? Wink

i dont think thats what he means, he means they dont want to play them cause its all laid back weak rock, not hard rock which is what he wants to play.

html sucks
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2007, 01:47:04 PM »

I haven't bought the record yet and don't know that I will.  For me it's mainly the first single.  Sure I don't think Contraband is a spectacular album but I would have given this album a chance if I'd been excited about the single.  Maybe I'll still buy it if I hear some other songs that catch my ear.  I'm just one example out of about 156,000 that didn't turn out the first week this time around.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: