Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 05:49:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Libertad debuts well below Contraband
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Libertad debuts well below Contraband  (Read 90287 times)
CSS
« Reply #520 on: August 04, 2007, 08:46:01 PM »

Robin does not fuck up anything. He plays the songs the way he wants to play them. If you want to talk about fucking up solos on the Illusion tour.

Stop.

1. Why does it always have to be about GN'R? (I know you didn't bring it up)

2. Everybody fucks up.

3. Understood? Noone is guilty...
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #521 on: August 05, 2007, 07:07:08 PM »

I have to ask with the state of rock and what's selling does it matter what vr released as far as sales go?? I mean SBQM isn't the best song but it's far from the worst of the lot considering Fall out Boy Linkin Park or Nickleback do so well.. I mean The Last Fight is the next single, I think it's a killer tune, but say it doesn't help the album at all, is it vr's fault or is the supergroup thingy over, the curiousity over.??

Just saying does it matter how good your material is, or is it just the luck of the draw.. We all know afd didn't explode until scom.. Not by any means comparing anything vr to afd so lets not go there at all..

Is it age of the band, or as I said the curiousity of bringing two old  great/good groups together to form one All star one over..?? We all know many groups can sell out arenas n have a huge following but can't slaways get the albums sold anymore..

I also know many people that enjoyed slither, ftp, and those who heard dlt so it's not the material.. Money was a cool cover, set me free was good too for the hulk...

Lets just say Estranged was released in 1991, it probably could have had November rain ratings, but cause it wasn't the right time n music was in a change it didn't fair nearly as well.. I mean is this possibly the same thing, that window for mainstream to want a VR album is over, but they'll still shell out the bucks to see a great rock band play live??

So what's your thoughts being t's a pretty good album and there's much worse then SBQM's out there and it does 100x's better..
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #522 on: August 05, 2007, 07:31:08 PM »

A lot of it has to do with the marketing machine.  What's an easier sell to the music-buying public?  Fall Out Boy is hot with the under 18 crowd so despite the quality of the music, the label will promote the hell out of the band.  In VR, you have a bunch of 40+ rockers.  It doesn't matter how good the music is, if you're a teenage girl, do you really want the poster of a rock star on your wall who is the same age as your father?

People are sheep.  They follow the herd.  If the rest of their friends are listening to emo pop rock, then that's what they are going to listen to...and likewise, the labels push all the same sounding music because there is a better chance to sell their music.

I can't believe that Plain White T's song "Hey Deliha" was the number 1 song on itunes...I mean, the song isn't bad...but it's not that good...it's just trendy.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
Billo
VIP

"soon" is the word....SOON :)

« Reply #523 on: August 06, 2007, 04:22:24 AM »

OK..do u like the album??  I havent got the new Lpark and have no wish to....Ive got Libertad and love it..I dont like much of the music in the charts anyway..most of its shit.. peace

If u love guns the wait it allmost over..HEHE
AxemanOnFire
Headliner

« Reply #524 on: August 06, 2007, 03:08:51 PM »

If they wanted sales of the album to really take off, they ought to release Can't Get It Out Of My Head as a single - that song is made for radio, and it'd be played twice as often as any other VR single has been before (including Fall To Pieces). Whether they'd want to have an ELO cover out as a single (from an image/rock credibility point of view - ELO don't fit with the 'rock's last badasses' tag the marketing machine has given VR) is another matter entirely, of course. It isn't as good a track as Gravedancer, but then Fall To Pieces wasn't as good as You Got No Right. It's about what works on the radio, and what appeals to a larger spread of people. Using Mike's example, Estranged is probably (personal opinion) as good a track as November Rain. But Estranged makes a bad single, because it isn't a radio song.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #525 on: August 06, 2007, 04:50:25 PM »

Last Week 45   This Week 47   VELVET REVOLVER  LIBERTAD  RCA/RMG  8,330  NOW IN: 61.81%
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #526 on: August 16, 2007, 02:23:34 PM »

Billboard
Issue Date:  2007-08-25

This Wk   Last Wk           Artist                 Album     Peak     Wks On                 
    61            49        Velvet Revolver      Libertad      5              6

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?f=The+Billboard+200&pageNumber=Top+51-100&g=Albums

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #527 on: August 16, 2007, 02:38:12 PM »

Any idea how many units sold last week?

This thing looks like its too far gone to save...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
rgr1607
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #528 on: August 16, 2007, 03:24:29 PM »

From the Metal Sludge forum...

61 VELVET REVOLVER LIBERTAD 10,444 -26 192,840

http://www.metalsludge.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=123477&sid=21b56b964c0988cc613e352844e5ca4c
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #529 on: August 16, 2007, 03:24:39 PM »

This thing looks like its too far gone to save...

#61: Velvet Revolver, Libertad
This Week: 10,444
Cume: 192,840

http://www.metalsucks.net/?p=2025#more-2025
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #530 on: August 16, 2007, 04:19:40 PM »

I don't think the Last Fight will save the day...

As I've said a thousand times...:

One more album... tops.

RTK
Headliner

« Reply #531 on: August 16, 2007, 05:39:05 PM »

It just seems more and more likely that this band will be another version of Audioslave, where they break up before reaching their full potential, and one of the bands reunites (probably STP).

Then again, Marilyn Manson's album is not doing well, and besides Nickelback and Hinder, there isn't one rock album thats on the charts that has gone platinum.

And as Jarmo kept saying before Libertad, when people would bring up the fact that Contraband went triple platinum, and sold a lot, thus meaning that its a good album, Sales and quality don't neccessarily relate in the new music industry, especially with Rock music.  And as long as the band is on good terms with each other and the tours do well, they could have some longevity.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #532 on: August 16, 2007, 06:10:07 PM »

I don't think the Last Fight will save the day...

Frankly, if they have to rely on radio-bubblegum-garbage like that to sell this thing, then they should've packed it in after Contraband -

GeraldFord
« Reply #533 on: August 20, 2007, 01:15:32 PM »

I'm pretty amazed that this album did as poorly as it did. I thought it would sell at least one million in the States.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #534 on: August 20, 2007, 03:10:23 PM »

Singles drive record sales.

VR had the HUGE DOUBLE WHAMMY last time with SLither and then Fall To Pieces.

They struck a chord with the public.

SBQM and THe Last Fight don't have that same luster.

Last Fight is good but it isnt a single thats gonna truly resonate with people enough to make them buy the album.

I use Bon Jovi as an example cause its what i know best.

Their album "Bounce" was a HUGE FLOP, why? they didn't have the big singles.  Everyday flopped as the first single, the 2nd single "Misunderstood" was a minor hit but the album only sold 800,000.  Let's not forget though they played the NFL opening thing  in front of half a million people in New York and got tons of publicity and it still didn't go platinum.

Fast Forward to the album after that "Have A Nice Day"  The title track flopped at radio and the album looked sort of like a goner but here came a HUGE SINGLE "Who Says You Can't Go Home"  The album took off and sold almost 2 million in the US.

So its all about singles.

U have great singles, u sell records, u dont, u wont.

Same will go for Chinese Democracy and every other album.

MUsic is about Singles these days.  People dont want to buy an album with 12 good songs

U better have 2 or 3 amazing songs mixed with 8 or 9 good songs.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #535 on: August 21, 2007, 03:44:03 PM »

Has Last Fight been released as a single yet?

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #536 on: August 21, 2007, 07:03:29 PM »

I heard it on the radio today for the first time, Sirius 20 Octane.  So I'd have to guess that it has been released.  I thought I remember hearing somewhere around Aug. 20th or so.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #537 on: August 21, 2007, 07:53:17 PM »

I heard it on the radio today for the first time, Sirius 20 Octane.  So I'd have to guess that it has been released.  I thought I remember hearing somewhere around Aug. 20th or so.

Here, in my country (Portugal) I haven?t heard, not even once, SBQM on the radio. It just has no air play. Dunno if it happens in other european countries too. However, there are many VR fans in Portugal (I have sources that told me that the canceled show they were going to give in Lisbon this year was almost selling out, and the 2004 eventually did it). I guess VR just ain?t reaching to the popular masses... if you know what I mean. Try asking a "normal" person about VR... they won?t know what to answer. But if you try someone who likes music... they will know. So I guess thats whats happening right now. The rock fans, music fans in general (and the VR/Guns/STP fans too obviously) bought in the first weeks. The popular masses didn?t (maybe cos they are more focused right now on the Umbrella song by Rhianna  Roll Eyes). So I guess that?s why it has been dropping in the table since.

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #538 on: August 21, 2007, 07:58:31 PM »

I dont see "The Last Fight" doing anything to help this albums sales.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #539 on: August 21, 2007, 08:28:31 PM »

I dont see "The Last Fight" doing anything to help this albums sales.

Nice new name change Jimmy Bobby.  Glad you finally changed your picture too.

The Last Fight cannot hurt album sales, that is for sure.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: