Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 10:50:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227829 Posts in 43249 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash - Spinner Interview
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash - Spinner Interview  (Read 29506 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2007, 12:31:57 AM »

Sorry, I just don't see how you can say the band hasn't been marketed as the new Guns N' Roses when there was a story on the band's website before last fall's tour called "Meet the New Guns N' Roses".

Ali

I never said anything of the sort, I just asked if there has ever been a group photo of GNR as we know it used for promotional purposes.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2007, 12:33:50 AM »

Sorry, I just don't see how you can say the band hasn't been marketed as the new Guns N' Roses when there was a story on the band's website before last fall's tour called "Meet the New Guns N' Roses".

Ali

I never said anything of the sort, I just asked if there has ever been a group photo of GNR as we know it used for promotional purposes.

Not you, Falcon.  I should have been more specific, but I meant Slash.  Sorry about that.

Ali
kingcanute
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2007, 12:40:21 AM »

If a website is not used for promotional or informational purposes, then what is it used for?

Also, the website is one thing they have control over and they use it responsibly by making no bones about the fact this is a new band.? Can you hold GN'R accountable for any misrepresentations of them made by the media?? Is that fair?

Ali

(shorted this quote down a bit for scrolling purposes)

I may have expressed myself a bit unclear. The content of the website is of course promotional and informational. Thing is, and this is where I am maybe jumping a bit to conclusions, that the website as such is not heavily promoted. It is not being "sold" to people who are not already aware of it, because the only way you can find it is by doing it on your own initative. It is not part of a greater promotional package if you see what I mean.

Also, there used to be an official website with absolutely no information. Don't know how long it was there, and then it just disappeared. I think the address was gnronline.com. if you type in that now, you are taken to geffen with no mentioning of or link to gnrs official site. Many people I guess assume that there is still no GNR website with anything on it, because that was the situation for x years. A good thing we have google.

The bottom line is, I guess you could call GNRs website "marketing", but I don't think it's a very outward kind... I would rather call it a website for the fans, with news and merchandise.

And I'm not holding GNR responsible for any misinterpretations by the media. when did I ever say that?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2007, 12:42:21 AM »

Ali

Not you, Falcon.? I should have been more specific, but I meant Slash.? Sorry about that.

Ali

No worries Ali, thank you for the clarification.

I should have been more specific in my initial question.

Has there ever been an official pic of the entire band used to promote a concert? ?Is there even one available?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Ali
Legend

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2007, 12:45:40 AM »

If a website is not used for promotional or informational purposes, then what is it used for?

Also, the website is one thing they have control over and they use it responsibly by making no bones about the fact this is a new band.? Can you hold GN'R accountable for any misrepresentations of them made by the media?? Is that fair?

Ali

(shorted this quote down a bit for scrolling purposes)

I may have expressed myself a bit unclear. The content of the website is of course promotional and informational. Thing is, and this is where I am maybe jumping a bit to conclusions, that the website as such is not heavily promoted. It is not being "sold" to people who are not already aware of it, because the only way you can find it is by doing it on your own initative. It is not part of a greater promotional package if you see what I mean.

Also, there used to be an official website with absolutely no information. Don't know how long it was there, and then it just disappeared. I think the address was gnronline.com. if you type in that now, you are taken to geffen with no mentioning of or link to gnrs official site. Many people I guess assume that there is still no GNR website with anything on it, because that was the situation for x years. A good thing we have google.

The bottom line is, I guess you could call GNRs website "marketing", but I don't think it's a very outward kind... I would rather call it a website for the fans, with news and merchandise.

And I'm not holding GNR responsible for any misinterpretations by the media. when did I ever say that?

Shit, I need to be more specific.  I didn't mean you in that last part, sorry.  I was speaking more generally to everyone out there.  My point was that one promotional or informational tool that GN'R has control over, the one they do have control over, they use responsibly.  The other promotional tools are not in their control, specifically the media, therefore they should not be held accountable for them.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2007, 12:47:03 AM »

Ali

Not you, Falcon.? I should have been more specific, but I meant Slash.? Sorry about that.

Ali

No worries Ali, thank you for the clarification.

I should have been more specific in my initial question.

Has there ever been an official pic of the entire band used to promote a concert? ?Is there even one available?

This new band?  No.  The only true band photo I've seen was after Donnington 2006.  That was more spontaneous.  I've only seen the new roses and pistols logo used in promotional pictures or art.  Maybe old pics of Axl too.

Ali
darth monkey
Beware: Can outwit all of you!
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2007, 06:55:45 AM »

So to promote Axl's GNR concerts they use pics of Axl and the GNR logo, do you agree with this? Not ever has a band photo been used to promote a concert. It's funny cause all other bands I know have used GROUP pictures to promote their concerts, I just hope they are a little more honest with the album when it finally sees the light of day and actually include a picture of Axl and his current employees that made the album.
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2007, 07:01:45 AM »

And there was a lot of negative s--- going on at the time, because there were rumors about me joining Guns N' Roses and Axl had his f---ing press release that came out, which started friction between myself and the other guys.

Oh please, how many more interviews are we going to get with Slash pushing the blame for tensions within VR onto Axl.? You gave him the ammunition, Slash, and all this shifting of responsibility in interviews is getting extremely tedious.? It seems as though old habits die hard...

I think more, when I go see Roger Waters doing the 'Dark Side of the Moon' album and he's got a guitar player that sounds identical to David Gilmour, every note, every f---ing nuance as far as guitar playing is concerned, I wonder what that's like. Then I see Pink Floyd doing all their stuff and it seems more normal to me, even though it's odd for Roger not to be there.

Slash should get himself a ticket for a GNR show then as it seems like he'd enjoy Ron, Richard and Robin giving their own interpretation of classic Guns songs.

There are certain Guns songs that are such standards that you don't want to really go there.

Yeah, pretty much sums up how I feel about 'Patience'.?

And nobody actually believed that I quit and a lot of people still to this day are not sure what they're seeing when they buy a Guns N' Roses ticket because it's never been marketed as a new Guns N' Roses or anything.

I don't recall seeing posters proclaiming that it was "a new Guns N' Roses" when Matt joined, so why should promoters consider it necessary now.? Slash has a higher press profile than Steven ever had and has never shied away from interviews, so I find it incredibly hard to believe that anyone with more than a passing interest in rock could be unaware that he'd left the band. ?And even more so that someone would buy a ticket for a show and remain in ignorance about the band they were going to see.

So, I'm really amazed to meet people that are like, "Yeah, I went down to see Guns N' Roses the other day and you and Duff weren't there." It's funny, it's like the band is so sort of surreal -- it almost seems like the band physically in real time isn't really what they're really after. It's really bizarre. It's interesting to watch it all and actually be able to have a perspective to check out how things are.

Yeah, I have to say that I'm amazed that these people still exist, Slash, but perhaps it says more about the people you get at a VR gig than anything else.

"I never thought all the love I was lookin? for
Could ever be so close to me?"
darth monkey
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2007, 07:43:34 AM »

When Matt replaced Steven and Gilby replaced Izzy there were NEW band photos taken that were distributed for the promotional concert materials and a new band picture was taken for the Illusions records for which Matt was very easily seen. There was a lot more transparency back then than what we see now from the current regime.
Ganja4Life
Banned
VIP

Peace,Love,Guns N' Roses

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2007, 09:18:51 AM »

It hasn't been marketed as a new GN'R?? What a crock of shit.? I'm sorry, that is complete bullshit.? Anyone with a half brain and an internet connection knows that it is in fact a new GN'R.? Go sell that bullshit somewhere else 'cause I ain't buyin' it.

Ali

I was talking to my girlfriend last night on the phone.her sister was working at a VR concert the other day. I told my gf to tell her i was jealous cuz she got to see slash live and my gf said " wait,so Slash wasnt with guns n roses when you saw them last year?"

not everyone knows lol

Hi,my name's Dakota
I like Guns N' Roses
They're my favorite band
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2007, 09:29:11 AM »

Slash should get himself a ticket for a GNR show then as it seems like he'd enjoy Ron, Richard and Robin giving their own interpretation of classic Guns songs.

In all fairness if Slash went to a Guns N' Roses concert it would be to see GNR songs sound like GNR songs. If he wanted to see interpretations of Guns songs he would go to the local club and see a cover band. When you bill yourself as something it is to deliver the product people are paying to see, not something that is kind of in the ballpark. This is why when VR cover a GNR song it is not held to the same standard as GNR playing a GNR song. You can take liberties and do interpretations of the material when you are covering things. Last I checked GNR is not a cover band.
darth monkey
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2007, 09:58:29 AM »

Well you are right the band is called called GNR, they take monstrous liberties and interpretations of the material when it is played. The only thing that remains true is the vocals and the bass is pretty close. You cannot possibly say that the music has remained true to the originals.

And while I don't like the versions of Axl's GNR takes on the GNR material from 1985-1993 as much I can't fault the musicians for making the material more their own and trying to put a little spin of their own on it. I just don't like those renditions as much as the older ones. Scott's vocals on the GNR material is also not quite as good in my opinion as Axl's, but he is putting a little of his own spin on it and making it somewhat his own just as Robin, Ron, and Richard do with the guitar parts and Frank does with the drumming. All are perfectly justified and each individual has every right to prefer any of those versions over another.

The argument over who is entitled to play the material, and who is playing it as a cover is mute. Both bands are covering the music, anyone with a little common sense can see that.
cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2007, 10:38:04 AM »

When Matt replaced Steven and Gilby replaced Izzy there were NEW band photos taken that were distributed for the promotional concert materials and a new band picture was taken for the Illusions records for which Matt was very easily seen. There was a lot more transparency back then than what we see now from the current regime.

As someone has already pointed out, the new band members have been promoted on the GNR website and I've no doubt that when the album comes out it'll contain up to date photos of everyone.? I wasn't involved in concert promotion in '91 but do remember the posters and adverts for the UYI tour and it definitely wasn't billed as the 'new Guns N' Roses'.? And when Gilby replaced Izzy there was even less media attention if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure why you think there was more transparency in the old days.? My experience was that it was far more difficult to access information about your favourite band in the pre-internet times and GNR, in particular, was always surrounded by rumour and controversy.

cyllan
Constantly on tour
VIP

FABRICATI DIEM PUNC

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2007, 11:06:45 AM »

In all fairness if Slash went to a Guns N' Roses concert it would be to see GNR songs sound like GNR songs. If he wanted to see interpretations of Guns songs he would go to the local club and see a cover band. When you bill yourself as something it is to deliver the product people are paying to see, not something that is kind of in the ballpark. This is why when VR cover a GNR song it is not held to the same standard as GNR playing a GNR song. You can take liberties and do interpretations of the material when you are covering things. Last I checked GNR is not a cover band.

Sorry, my fault there, I didn't make it clear that I was making a tongue-in-cheek response to Slash's remark:
"I think more, when I go see Roger Waters doing the 'Dark Side of the Moon' album and he's got a guitar player that sounds identical to David Gilmour, every note, every f---ing nuance as far as guitar playing is concerned, I wonder what that's like."

I was suggesting humorously (or so I thought!) that, if that was the case, then perhaps he'd enjoy the creativity of GNR's guitarists putting their own stamp on GNR classics, rather than listen to them copy note-for-note what Slash had previously played.

In no way am I seriously suggesting that Slash's ego would enjoy watching the three Rs give his old material a kick up the arse.? ?Grin

Ali
Legend

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2007, 11:20:47 AM »

It hasn't been marketed as a new GN'R?? What a crock of shit.? I'm sorry, that is complete bullshit.? Anyone with a half brain and an internet connection knows that it is in fact a new GN'R.? Go sell that bullshit somewhere else 'cause I ain't buyin' it.

Ali

I was talking to my girlfriend last night on the phone.her sister was working at a VR concert the other day. I told my gf to tell her i was jealous cuz she got to see slash live and my gf said " wait,so Slash wasnt with guns n roses when you saw them last year?"

? not everyone knows lol

Yeah, but your sister didn't go to the show did she?  The people who care enough to go to the show should know something about who and what they're seeing before buying the tickets.  Anything less would be irresponsible consumerism.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2007, 11:22:43 AM »

So to promote Axl's GNR concerts they use pics of Axl and the GNR logo, do you agree with this? Not ever has a band photo been used to promote a concert. It's funny cause all other bands I know have used GROUP pictures to promote their concerts, I just hope they are a little more honest with the album when it finally sees the light of day and actually include a picture of Axl and his current employees that made the album.

The new GN'R logo is in fact a new GN'R logo.  Of course they have every right to use the band's logo to promote their concerts.  I don't think it is as uncommon as you are making it to use a logo in an ad for a concert.

Ali
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2007, 12:22:03 PM »

Slash tried to go, Dec. 29, 2001.  Axl wouldn't let him in.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2007, 12:45:56 PM »

Slash tried to go, Dec. 29, 2001.  Axl wouldn't let him in.

More lies.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=427

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2007, 12:55:12 PM »

Sorry, you are right....  Axl's management didn't want him in because they were unsure of his intentions and didn't want him being a distraction at the show.  My point was that he tried to go.  And wanted to go.  Why would Axl's management be scared of Slash?
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2007, 12:56:22 PM »

Sorry, you are right....  Axl's management didn't want him in because they were unsure of his intentions and didn't want him being a distraction at the show.  My point was that he tried to go.  And wanted to go.  Why would Axl's management be scared of Slash?

dude, it was the first time Axl unveiled the new lineup to the world.  Slash had no place there, it would have definitely been a huge distraction from what Axl was trying to do.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: