Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:37:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227779 Posts in 43246 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash - Spinner Interview
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash - Spinner Interview  (Read 29414 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 09:15:49 PM »

Wasn't the last European tour predicted to have a reunion by many GNR fans because the old logo came back?  Falcon, you are correct.  There isn't much "official" about the current lineup except they have been on the Chinese Democracy tour since 2002.
kingcanute
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 09:33:51 PM »

I don't know why people are so obsessed with "Slash/Axl said this and that... and look now what a liar he is!!".? Of course it's interesting to read interviews, but always take it with a pinch of salt, I'd say. Slash tends to exaggerate things, for example, and other times say things without really thinking it over, yet people on a forum use these quotes against him and choose to twist and interpret his words to fit their "reality". I'm sure Axl would make the same mistakes if he did interviews. And people here would take these things literally! Axl, Slash, Scott and any other artist doesn't owe anybody the truth and are free to use selective memory to put themselves in a better light, but of course they must be careful not to harm other people with their statements.

These guys are musicians, not fucking politicians. If I were a high profile artist like Axl or Slash, I would deliberately serve lies and talk loads of bullshit and claim that I shot people in Rwanda just for the hell of it. Or rather maybe give a big "fuck you" to all journalists.

It's got nothing to do with Axl, but you have to bring him up for some reason.

Slash changes his story. Period.

/jarmo

I bring up Axl whenever I want, and it's not O/T, because I used him as a comparison. This thread is about an interview, right? I could have used fucking Michael Jackson as comparison, but since I don't know shit about what he does in regards to interviews, that would just be stupid. And you're wrong to say it's got nothing to do with Axl. Slash even talks about him in the interview?

Anyway, that was not my point at all. Why do you comment on stuff that's only of minor importance in people's posts?? This is just one example of you using the well known red herring technique, by focusing on less important details in a post instead of the main point, just to divert the discussion in the direction you want it. I have noticed you doing the same thing before.

Slash changes his story. So what? It's a fucking interview. Slash is a guitar player, his job is to make and play music.

And, as I said, he doesn't have to tell the truth. Does he owe Jarmo the truth? Answer: About as much as certain other people owes me an album, in other words NOPE. Yet some people are anal about what he says in interviews and choose to spin on it over and over again, when it means jack shit.
darth monkey
Beware: Can outwit all of you!
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 09:38:21 PM »

I don't think any of us are saying that people shouldn't know that Slash, Duff, and Matt aren't in the band anymore, I think it is a little curious that none of the tour promotors or the bands label have ever released a "band photo". One could wonder if that was intentional???

Anyways i won't go on with this cause I do like Axl's GNR and I don't what to spread shit about it...but if this was the other way around lots of people would have a field day about this. And I think this is what Slash was probably refering to, however I take most of these interviews with a grain of salt so maybe things they say (and Axl too for that matter) are twisted around when they get in print.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2007, 09:56:03 PM »

Slash changes his story. So what? It's a fucking interview. Slash is a guitar player, his job is to make and play music.

And, as I said, he doesn't have to tell the truth. Does he owe Jarmo the truth? Answer: About as much as certain other people owes me an album, in other words NOPE. Yet some people are anal about what he says in interviews and choose to spin on it over and over again, when it means jack shit.

I hope you get lied to in your day to day life and have the same attitude.  ok

There isn't much "official" about the current lineup except they have been on the Chinese Democracy tour since 2002.

Funny how the last tour was called World Tour 2007. Look at the band merchandise. Get your facts straight.

I thought this was the VR section.  Kiss

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sandman
Legend

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2007, 10:20:47 PM »

I have a better question.

Me too:

Has there ever been an "offical"? press photo of the band as we've known it used for promotional purposes?

exactly. and that's by design. the more people that assume this is the old lineup, the better.

and there are alot of "older" people that go to gnr shows. people with jobs that don't read music magazines and are not reading about music on the internet every day.

i'm a fairly big music fan and i don't know the exact lineup of the current Smashing Pumpkins. and my friends thought i was "living under a rock" when i mentioned that.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
kingcanute
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 10:29:17 PM »

I don't think any of us are saying that people shouldn't know that Slash, Duff, and Matt aren't in the band anymore, I think it is a little curious that none of the tour promotors or the bands label have ever released a "band photo". One could wonder if that was intentional???

Anyways i won't go on with this cause I do like Axl's GNR and I don't what to spread shit about it...but if this was the other way around lots of people would have a field day about this. And I think this is what Slash was probably refering to, however I take most of these interviews with a grain of salt so maybe things they say (and Axl too for that matter) are twisted around when they get in print.

I don't think that's intentional. Probably more to do with the fact that the band is/have been laying low in terms of promotion, interviews etc. If and when CD comes out, there's probably promotion aplenty, including band photos. Also, they're quite a few members, you know, so it may be difficult to get them all together for a photo session ?Wink

when it comes to interviews, I think we agree. They make for interesting reading and good entertainment, but that's what it is. it's just ridiculous to cite them as if it was the Bible or something.

I hope you get lied to in your day to day life and have the same attitude. ok

/jarmo

I can't really see why you want to know if I like being lied to in my private life... but there you go. It certainly would be boring NEVER to be lied to, that much I know.

You can't really compare the situations though. In everyday life, you know most people that you interact with to the extent that you would know if they're lying (body language etc.) and if you are lied to repeatedly, you stop listening to them or dealing with them. (That is, if the lying hurts you of course.) ?This is an interview - a completely different setting. We don't know Slash personally, we don't know the reporter and we can't tell how much of the communication is lost on the way. Maybe the reporter is a nutcase? That happens, I've heard. And so what if some of the stories are partly made up or exaggerated? From your comment I assume that you don't like being lied to yourself. If you feel let down by Slash, and genuinely thinks he lies to you, no one is forcing you to pay any more attention to him.

I don't think he's telling lies on purpose (and no harm if he does), he just isn't born to handle the media very well. There is for example the thing with VR not playing GNR/STP, which he changed his mind on and I don't know how many times you've brought that up. You can argue that he lied, but you can also argue that he told the truth, because that was probably his and/or the band's attitude at the time of the interview. Anyway it's of little significance compared to what he does musically. I like his solos and guitar work, and additional information is just fun and amusing, really.
kingcanute
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 10:33:12 PM »

Me too:

Has there ever been an "offical"? press photo of the band as we've known it used for promotional purposes?

exactly. and that's by design. the more people that assume this is the old lineup, the better.

and there are alot of "older" people that go to gnr shows. people with jobs that don't read music magazines and are not reading about music on the internet every day.

i'm a fairly big music fan and i don't know the exact lineup of the current Smashing Pumpkins. and my friends thought i was "living under a rock" when i mentioned that.

Firstly, I think you're conspiring.

Secondly, if it's true, it's not necessarily wrong. There's nothing wrong with being clever. Axl has the legal rights of the name, and if you tell me a strategy like this is illegal and/or immoral, I tell you the opposite. As far as I've heard, CD has cost  a few bucks and somebody have to pay the bill.
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2007, 10:52:10 PM »

How do the Guns n' Roses songs change for you in this new dynamic?

I remember when we did our first public performance, where we first announced that we were a band named Velvet Revolver and all that. We did 'It's so Easy' without really a second thought because it was really that much of a part of Duff and I. So every time you do an old piece of material you're so close to that it's not something that you think about too much. I think more, when I go see Roger Waters doing the 'Dark Side of the Moon' album and he's got a guitar player that sounds identical to David Gilmour, every note, every f---ing nuance as far as guitar playing is concerned, I wonder what that's like. Then I see Pink Floyd doing all their stuff and it seems more normal to me, even though it's odd for Roger not to be there. So when we're doing our stuff, I think more people probably look into it a little deeper than we're actually looking at it. It's just fun and it's something that we have every right to play 'cause we wrote it.

I like that part of the interview.  ok

Yea I think I found a new sig  ok  beer

"Patience"
(Stradlin)

ok  beer

/jarmo

Get our yourself you fucking idiot , Stradlin didn't write ever part in that song , take away the solos and slash guitar and its not as special anymore. FYI Izzy isn't in GNR anymore , how come they can play patience? OH WAIT BECAUSE

GNR plays GNR , right right , yea FUCKING RIGHT this ISNT guns n roses its axl and friends , he is doing exactly what adler is doing cept he calls it Guns N Roses.
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 10:56:52 PM »

How do the Guns n' Roses songs change for you in this new dynamic?

I remember when we did our first public performance, where we first announced that we were a band named Velvet Revolver and all that. We did 'It's so Easy' without really a second thought because it was really that much of a part of Duff and I. So every time you do an old piece of material you're so close to that it's not something that you think about too much. I think more, when I go see Roger Waters doing the 'Dark Side of the Moon' album and he's got a guitar player that sounds identical to David Gilmour, every note, every f---ing nuance as far as guitar playing is concerned, I wonder what that's like. Then I see Pink Floyd doing all their stuff and it seems more normal to me, even though it's odd for Roger not t

o be there. So when we're doing our stuff, I think more people probably look into it a little deeper than we're actually looking at it. It's just fun and it's something that we have every right to play 'cause we wrote it.

I like that part of the interview.  ok

Yea I think I found a new sig  ok  beer

"Patience"
(Stradlin)

ok  beer

/jarmo

Get our yourself you fucking idiot , Stradlin didn't write ever part in that song , take away the solos and slash guitar and its not as special anymore. FYI Izzy isn't in GNR anymore , how come they can play patience? OH WAIT BECAUSE

GNR plays GNR , right right , yea FUCKING RIGHT this ISNT guns n roses its axl and friends , he is doing exactly what adler is doing cept he calls it Guns N Roses.

Sir, come down. No need to get that agro over something so fucking meaning less.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 11:02:27 PM »

Get our yourself you fucking idiot ,

Consider yourself smote, that kinda shit is absolutely not tolerated.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 11:09:26 PM »

Get our yourself you fucking idiot ,

Consider yourself smote, that kinda shit is absolutely not tolerated.

Good job Falcon.

That guy needs to start reading before posting his replies.  hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 11:14:09 PM »

Me too:

What do you consider official?  Do the photos of the new band by George Chin on the band's website count?

Sorry, I just don't see how you can say the band hasn't been marketed as the new Guns N' Roses when there was a story on the band's website before last fall's tour called "Meet the New Guns N' Roses".

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 11:21:41 PM »

Has there ever been a group photo?
I have never seen one

IS there a pic anywhere on Gunsroses.com of any member not Axl?

I know people on the bon jovi board who had no idea there was a new band and they got to the concert and were shocked.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Wheres Izzy
I smoke my cigarette with style
VIP

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 11:24:33 PM »

Me too:

What do you consider official?? Do the photos of the new band by George Chin on the band's website count?

Sorry, I just don't see how you can say the band hasn't been marketed as the new Guns N' Roses when there was a story on the band's website before last fall's tour called "Meet the New Guns N' Roses".

Ali

I don't know much about how everything has been marketed the past couple of years but I don't think it's too unreasonable to believe alot of people have gone to some of the shows not knowing who was gonna be there besides Axl. Theres a lot of people who love SCOM and WTTJ and just know GnR as a brand name. It wouldn't surprise me if people just picked up tickets based on knowing a couple songs, many casual music fans do so. Not to mention outside of GnR fansites new GnR is not exactly a hot media commodity yet. I know we obsess and scrutinize over every little thing mentioned about them but think about it...does the average person ever see any of it?

Can you imagine, for a second, doing
anything just 'cuz you want to?
Well, that's just what I do so hooray for me and fuck you
Ali
Legend

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 11:31:42 PM »

Has there ever been a group photo?
I have never seen one

I know people on the bon jovi board who had no idea there was a new band and they got to the concert and were shocked.

Yes, there have been many pictures of band members other than Axl on the official site. ?How about the picture of Tommy and Ron standing back to back that was posted when they announced they were postponing the Japan tour. ?What about the recent picture of Ron with the two Japanese girls after a show? ?What about the picture of Frank with the Japanese police officer posted with the story on the Budokan show?

Anyone who doesn't look into what they're getting before they get have only themselves to blame when they get surprised. ?The band can't be held responsible for other people's ignorance.

Ali
Ali
Legend

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 11:34:54 PM »

Me too:

What do you consider official?? Do the photos of the new band by George Chin on the band's website count?

Ali

I don't know much about how everything has been marketed the past couple of years but I don't think it's too unreasonable to believe alot of people have gone to some of the shows not knowing who was gonna be there besides Axl. Theres a lot of people who love SCOM and WTTJ and just know GnR as a brand name. It wouldn't surprise me if people just picked up tickets based on knowing a couple songs, many casual music fans do so. Not to mention outside of GnR fansites new GnR is not exactly a hot media commodity yet. I know we obsess and scrutinize over every little thing mentioned about them but think about it...does the average person ever see any of it?

I think that it is the fan's responsibility to look into what they're getting before they get a concert ticket, especially when there is information out there regarding the current lineup of the band.  The band's official website promoted them as the new GN'R immediately before the last US tour.  Therefore, how can you say they are not marketing themselves as a new GN'R? 

Ali
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2007, 11:40:23 PM »

http://web.gunsnroses.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070717&content_id=a1&vkey=news&fext=.jsp

http://web.gunsnroses.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070720&content_id=a1&vkey=news&fext=.jsp

http://web.gunsnroses.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070715&content_id=a1&vkey=news&fext=.jsp

http://web.gunsnroses.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070606&content_id=a1&vkey=news&fext=.jsp

/jarmo

Ali
Legend

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 11:43:34 PM »

Exactly!!!

In precisely zero of those photos is Axl pictured.  So don't tell me the new band isn't visible or being marketed as a new band.

Ali
kingcanute
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 11:52:31 PM »

Me too:

Ali

I think that it is the fan's responsibility to look into what they're getting before they get a concert ticket, especially when there is information out there regarding the current lineup of the band.? The band's official website promoted them as the new GN'R immediately before the last US tour.? Therefore, how can you say they are not marketing themselves as a new GN'R??

Ali

You're right about the fan thing. If you haven't yet discovered that Slash and Duff are out of GNR, then you can't call yourself a fan.

But I don't think you can call putting things on your own web site "marketing". As far as I know, the web site as such is not promoted or "marketed" (please correct me if I'm wrong), thus will the information published there be received by fans, music industry people and other particularly interested people, and these will already be well aware of the "new" GNR.
Ali
Legend

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007, 11:56:27 PM »

Me too:

Ali

I think that it is the fan's responsibility to look into what they're getting before they get a concert ticket, especially when there is information out there regarding the current lineup of the band.? The band's official website promoted them as the new GN'R immediately before the last US tour.? Therefore, how can you say they are not marketing themselves as a new GN'R??

Ali

You're right about the fan thing. If you haven't yet discovered that Slash and Duff are out of GNR, then you can't call yourself a fan.

But I don't think you can call putting things on your own web site "marketing". As far as I know, the web site as such is not promoted or "marketed" (please correct me if I'm wrong), thus will the information published there be received by fans, music industry people and other particularly interested people, and these will already be well aware of the "new" GNR.

If a website is not used for promotional or informational purposes, then what is it used for?

Also, the website is one thing they have control over and they use it responsibly by making no bones about the fact this is a new band.  Can you hold GN'R accountable for any misrepresentations of them made by the media?  Is that fair?

Ali
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: