Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:11:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Spectacle - VR on tour
| | | | |-+  * THE Review * W 23 Axl at the VR show at JONES BEACH, NY
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: * THE Review * W 23 Axl at the VR show at JONES BEACH, NY  (Read 6308 times)
W 23 AXL II
VIP

I like A minor more so than C major

« on: August 19, 2007, 12:23:41 PM »

so we arrived alittle late, about 40 mins into the set. i thought we were still on rock n roll time, not barry manilow time?!?

anyway...here goes...

Out of 10: 8.3

Over-all energy from Slash was VERY LOW!!! Slash, whats going on dude? i love you, but u looked like u were frozen on stage. Slash's playing was pretty good, although i heard some people joking outside after the show saying "too much slash, too much slash....plus every solo sounds the same...he's definitely over-rated"

Now i dont necessarily agree with that, however, i will say SLash looks alittle heart-broken. Either he just wants to be a family man and drop this rock crap, OR, he is still heartbroken over GNR and knows that Scott aint what Axl is. now again, i love slash, he is the reason i started playing guitar, started band and actually almost got signed!!! but he didnt move AT ALL last night. he went up to the front row once that i saw, well actually a few times, but he just really stood there, seemed dazed. all this said, he did play some great solos.....funny thing is, i used to talk alot of crap about robins mistakes and flubs.....and i love robin....but slash had some flubs as well....i guess we all do....but slash just seems nervous when he's playing. he played that STP song, i think Interstate love song or whatever the hell its called, and he didnt seem too confident playing the main riff...i felt like at any point he was going to mess up with riff. to wrap this up with slash, i love and worship and adore him. im just noticing he doesnt seem energized or happy. MAYBE he did stop drinking/drugs and now its just like a normal job for him. Playing high is AMAZING and fun. Playing sober can get not only boring, but u may become uninspired.

Scott.......oh, where to start. he's good. good. thats about it. not very good, not terrible. he works. VR actually has a very cool vibe to it, if they just all seemed happy, like in 2004. they all seem dead now and tired of this "big machine". although, scott DID try, he did his part. his dance moves are alittle played out, but atleast he tried and did his "Frontman of a rock band" thing. his voice crapped out many times....MANY times i cringed, but hey, what are u going to do...there arent many good rock singers left. he killed the melody to Patience a few times, but RECOVERED VERY NICELY in the outro to fix it and finish the outro right. its almost like he wants to show everyone he didnt spend too much time learning this "new song" for him. One thing, he doesnt seem to enjoy singing Axl's part. All in all, Scott is good....not great.....he works.....and if SLash and everyone was MORE INTO IT, Velvet Revolver would seem totally legit and strong, with a very cool vibe. However, they all seem like its over.....maybe it sjust my opinion. i DO THINK they rushed this album, its very generic-sounding. maybe they felt like they HAD to release this album, who knows....it does seem forced though.

As for everyone else....Matt was Matt....he's a solid, very good...ok great, drummer. thats about all....he does provide some good back-up vocals.

Duff was Duff. Not too much energy, but atleast more than Slash. im still surprised that Slash didnt seize the moment and be the rock icon he is, b/c one thing is for sure, that place WANTED SLASH....they wanted an epic solo to scream over. everytime Slash was on the main screen, people cheered. People do love Slash, and so do I.....he's a living legend.....i just wish he was having more fun that it seems....again, i think he misses Axl, but more so, misses the BIG MACHINE of Guns n' Roses....that band is (was?) his baby...

Now Dave....he was great!!! running all around, lots of energy....never heard one mistake, although he is playing rhythm guitar, its mostly chords and small riffs, BUT, he played flawlessly and is a great fit in the band i think. he had alot of energy...its too bad no once cares about him. thats the music business and the fickle nature of american crowds.

that said...the crowd was pretty lame and dead. but its hard to blame them, the band was really far away from the "lip of the stage", the front. they were all the way in the middle of the stage, so people in the front probably didnt get a good vibe. but the set list!!!! how are u going to play Its So Easy right after a slow ballad from the new album that no one really knows. they went right into Its So Easy, and b/c the crowd was dead, no one got juiced. I was thinking for ISE there would be a pit going or something, but nothing. NOTHING!!! people just standing in the front, watching.

mr. brownstone probably got the best reaction. no wait, PATIENCE definitely did, then Brownstone.

Also, there was such a wide range of ages there. i am 30. i grew up on GNR. but there were teenagers there, not many, but then there were lots of 40s, 50s people there, and oddly enough, they were ROCKING OUT!!!! it was both great and hysterical to see 50 yr old men singing along to STP!!!!! songs. GNR im sure everyone knows the classics, but STP??? LOL it was good to see though..

overall....not great, not bad. im very mixed, i dont know what to think. then again, ive seen GNR 6 times since 2002....and i was at the first MSG show in 2002 which was the best show in the history of rock (lol...my opinion anyway) and the first show in 2006 in nyc at hammerstein which was close to 2002 MSG, but just comes in second place. so its hard to impress me. i gotta say, the 2004 VR show in nyc was pretty good, but then again, the excitement was there b/c this was a new band.

a third album?? i dont know....i really dont know.......something makes me think scott belongs in STP. and Slash, Duff and Matt belong....well......    ....    well im not going to say it b/c what Axl is doing, works. they just need to release the album this year, or else id say they are going to lose about 50% of their support....people are just about done now waiting for CD. So either release this new album Axl or make a call into VR and save them from themselves lolol i dont wanna make this seem GNR vs VR, its not. Axl has been doing the right things and making all the right moves.....there is just one more to make.   confused
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 12:30:29 PM by W 23 AXL II » Logged
GNRslave
Rocker

"turn on the tv cuz i got nowhere to go..."

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 05:48:39 PM »

i was at the show last night as well. for anyone that has ever gone to jones beach, you should expect a lame or at least modest crowd. i had fun anyway, the band sounded great. i agree with you on scott not sounding enthused during patience, but it was still awesome to hear slash,duff and matt jam to it. as for scotts voice, he said during "sex type thing" that his voice hurt like hell but he was playing the show anyway, which i thought was awesome.

"Axl has been doing the right things and making all the right moves.....there is just one more to make."

are you kidding with this comment? what 'right moves' has axl made? going out on tour endless amounts of times with NO album to promote? i have been a loyal supporter of axl and the new gnr since late 99, but like most of you i am really frustrated with how this band has been handled since they started touring in 2001. sure the tours were fun and everything and we got to see this new band play,(ive seen them 5 times and they were great each time) but enough is enough. as far as im concerned, this album should have been released at the very latest last year like axl said. as the years go by, the demand for this album is not getting higher, the album is not getting better, its just on the shelf and us fans continue to get the runaround by the gnr camp, (its being mixed, mastered, etc) that is, if we get any info at all. i know there are some that want to bash me and tell me to leave if i dont like the way things have gone, but you all know that you are probably just as frustrated if not more frustrated then i am about the way this band has gone about their business the last 6 years.

"gonna wave it right down in your face"
http://www.myspace.com/5232978
jak0lantern01
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 11:53:05 AM »

I literally passed out at the show and got tossed from the place half way through. Too funny. I had a coupla drinks, but I think the band put me out. LOL! Oh well, it's time for the ol' GNR reunion wishes.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 12:06:31 AM »

^^^W 23 AXL II 

I saw this review about the show at Mohegan, CT and thought that the reviewer was just one sided, but given your review... he seems to agree with some of your points.

Velvet Revolver Skips the Chit-Chat But Rocks Hard

By Rick Koster  Published on 8/22/2007

Mohegan ? Supergroup Velvet Revolver ? four world famous ex-dope enthusiasts and a weird guy who looks like they found him up working at the feed store ? blistered the Mohegan Sun Arena Tuesday night with two hours of brutally infectious hard rock.

Too bad the band seemed to have little interest in the proceedings.

The fun news is that they were professional enough to go through the motions with maximum efficiency ? so that anyone beyond, oh, the 20th row couldn't discern their curious onstage detachment. As such, the near capacity crowd had a helluva good time.

We were in the third row, however, and it was plenty close enough to infer that, not only did the musicians have almost zero emotional interaction with each other, it's probably safe to say they don't even like each other. Fortunately, in the lucrative Land of Arena Rock, such things as old-style band chemistry and all-for-one camaraderie aren't necessary ? particularly if you're as gifted and assured as the guys in Velvet Revolver.

Comprised of ex-Guns n' Roses guitarist Slash, McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum, vocalist Scott Weiland from Stone Temple Pilots and unknown rhythm guitarist Dave Kushner (feed store), the VR guys have all the chops, back stories, and platinum-album pedigrees any rock fan could ever want.

In that spirit, the iconic Weiland took the stage in his patented Chief Wiggums police hat, and the equally iconic Slash emerged with his patented Abe Lincoln stovepiper. The stage set up was simple, with basic video screens and backdrop, functional lighting, and a row of up-front monitors that doubled as a low level platform the musicians could climb around on.

Now, just so we don't confuse ourselves: the band rocked. Weiland was in constant, Bowie-esque choreography, and the three ax-wielders have PhDs in live-performance rock posing. VR has also managed to record two fairly impressive, riff-clustered albums, ?Contraband? and the recently released ?Libertad,? which provided plenty of legitimate set list ammunition and credibility. Weiland was in fine voice despite his strange obsession with singing through a megaphone, and Slash added plenty of frisky soloing to fuel the mostly manic pace of the set.

While there was a generous sampling from both Revolver albums, it probably escaped no one's attention ? including the band's ? that fan ecstasy peaked during songs by Stone Temple Pilots (?Vaseline,? ?Interstate Love Song?) and G n' R (?Patience,? ?Mr. Brownstone?). In any case, standout VR tunes included ?Let It Roll,? ?She Builds Quick Machines? and ?Set Me Free.?

There were two sets of encores, including a stirring version of Pink Floyd's ?Wish You Were Here,? and then the band was gone with scarcely a spoken word to the crowd all night.

Weiland, Slash, and McKagan were all giants in the golden era when being a Rock Star was the best job in the world ? and they bought into the lifestyle with its attendant temptations and lived it to the max. Nowadays, they rock while clinging to the past with a white-knuckled sobriety that must be maddening in the context of the fun days of yore.

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=8a2d1c4e-a6ab-4f78-83f6-3615ee8ca213

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
whpprsnpprr
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 06:46:41 AM »

Man these are depressing me!? ?Smiley
I'm set to see them at the end of Sept and one of the main reasons I'm going is Slash!? I have noticed from recent footage that he seems really stagnant energy wise.?
As a side note I love the new album.? I think it's full of great fun simple rock.
I do wish they'd bag some of the covers.  What are they doing...like 6 now?
? I am a little dissapointed with Slash's tone...his solos are pretty good...he's matured....I like his creativity but I miss that fat Les Paul tone.
Anyway I hope they get going groove-wise soon!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 10:11:18 PM »

I was gonna buy tickets and watch them in Atlanta again but I passed................

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: