Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:01:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  BBF in Young Guitar (September Issue)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: BBF in Young Guitar (September Issue)  (Read 6296 times)
Dark Angel
Rocker

Life is what happens in-between...

« on: August 24, 2007, 10:47:31 AM »

Thx diag from bumbleforum for translateing

www.bumblemania.com/interviews (after the the questions and answers)

Quote:
Thinking of the whole song composition or the other instruments is the best. I bear that in mind to give a special taste to my playing.

At last, the reborn Guns N' Roses' public performance coming true. Even if we keep in mind that in order to judge the conditions of the 3 guitarists including Ron Thal, we must listen to the long awaited new production (in other terms the current GN'R)... We must say the 2 hours long show composed with the '90 hits was intense. Well, where are they heading towards? This point is full of mistery. Ron does not tell that much when it comes to it. Therefore, we keep on praying for the release of this new album!!

Quote:
I don't listen to the sound of my guitar, I only play through my fingers' feeling

Young Guitar: Your first concert as a GN'R member was...
Ron Thal: May 12th. We did it in New York.
YG: On stage, players' motion is great, but did you move like this since that time?
RT: Yeah quite. I've lost almost 10kg after entering the band. (laugh)
YG: Regarding live performances, does AXL give you any form of intruction?
RT: Because he trusts us, he desires us to behave like ourselves. Then, there's no "do this, not that" at all. He wishes that each member expresses his own individuality, and he desires each one's integrity. The activity on stage doesn't look unnatural, when you know each member's history, hugh? Like Robin who has been in Nine Inch Nails, like me who has done some unusual music. (laugh) With all members been playing in energetic bands, this can only lead to such performances, hugh? Moreover, GN'R lives are really fun! We can't be quiet! That's impossible. If you show a picture of mountain of sweets to a kid, you can't tell him to stay quiet and patient?! That's the same! (laugh) On stage, we all run around naturally.
YG: Until now, you have been playing tapping and other typical Bumblefoot stuff, but has it ever been in conflict with GN'R style?
RT: Yeah. I want to do the right playing that corresponds to each song, but on the other hand I want to play exciting things for the show. Well, each time I do soundcheck, I keep myself focus: "I must base my playing on songs, not on my technic". I never forget it. However, I won't change my own approach. The point is that I play only what best fits to the song, after having thought to the song globally, after having taken into account the other instruments or the other members playing. I bear in mind the playing which gives something more to the song. I don't know if I do it well or not, (laugh) but that's what I'm seeking.
YG: Robin, Richard and Ron, all of you 3 had your own solo time. But I had the impression that it your time was short, and moreover you were really quiet!
RT: Previously, after my solo, I was doing an intrumental version of "Don't Cry". I was playing the melody and the public was singing it. That was the way we were doing it. But AXL said once that he'd like to try to sing it. Since that, each time he has come on stage to sing. Then, if the singer is singing on stage, it's no more the guitarist solo time, hugh? So, AXL made my solo time shorter! (laugh) Though it was my time!!
YG: The main part concludes with "Nightrain", on which you use the Vigier Fretless guitar... Is it easy to play such a hard solo with a guitar on which it's hard to be on tune?
RT: Yeah, that's what I believe! I mustn't doubt about my playing! (laugh)
YG: A fretless guitar makes melody loose, right? But you played very fast. So it's possible to be on tune?
RT: Hey, it's my job! (laugh) Not so many people knows it, but I adjusted my monitor settings not to hear my guitar. I can hear clearly all the other instruments, but nothing about my guitar. When I'm on stage, I don't even know whether my equipment is ON or OFF. In this situation, while I don't hear anything, I play only through my fingers' feeling. Whether there's frets or not, I have no problem! It looks like I'm driving eyes shut. But if you know the way you're going, if you believe in yourself, there won't be any trouble.
YG: Do you do this only when you're playing fretless?
RT: Noooo, everytime I play guitar, usually. I do it also when I'm singing, I set my monitor to give me no feedback.
YG: But it's extremely difficult, right?
RT: Look, I want to listen to the other members. In order to match with them.
YG: Is it annoying to hear your own guitar from your monitor?
RT: If I hear it, I request to remove it. If the sound of my guitar is still here after, I shout to hide my monitor's sound. Then, when I'm alone playing, like during my solo time, I sing to myself randomly all along. Just to hide my own playing! (laugh) There's a lot of various ways to deal with monitors, depending on each one, but this way is the most natural way to me.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 08:54:12 PM by Dark Angel » Logged

bfoot - "Life's too damn short to be upset about what you don't have ?
enjoy what you do have"
www.bumblefoot.com
www.baldfreak.com
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 11:18:47 AM »

We can't be quiet!
That's impossible.
If you show a picture of mountain of sweets to a kid, you can't tell him to stay quiet and patient?!
That's the same!

now this is a memorable quote!!!
goes to my signature.....

P.S. I think I just experienced dejavu....

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
Dark Angel
Rocker

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 11:21:26 AM »

We can't be quiet!
That's impossible.
If you show a picture of mountain of sweets to a kid, you can't tell him to stay quiet and patient?!
That's the same!

now this is a memorable quote!!!
goes to my signature.....

P.S. I think I just experienced dejavu....

Really? rofl
Well you know me so what else to expect... Grin

enjoy what you do have"
www.bumblefoot.com
www.baldfreak.com
Lucky
Legend

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 11:23:01 AM »

I had a eerie feeling.... like I've read that same post just a few minutes ago Cheesy

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
Dark Angel
Rocker

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 11:29:30 AM »

I couldnt hold back from posting it... Grin

enjoy what you do have"
www.bumblefoot.com
www.baldfreak.com
Lucky
Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 11:30:47 AM »

"everywhere I go I see you...." Smiley

stolat
Banned
VIP

Brains and Beauty are a lethal combination!

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 12:46:54 PM »

Ohhh, cyber love!   hihi

Eat cake or Fuck Off.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 03:33:34 PM »

Thanks, great article.

I like when he talks about their freedom of playing... Still, people are always trying to picture them as just hired guns.

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 03:48:11 PM »

very cool, he's the man
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 06:46:30 PM »

Thanks, great article.

I like when he talks about their freedom of playing... Still, people are always trying to picture them as just hired guns.
I love that part as well. So, they have a lot of freedom... Cheesy

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 11:23:24 PM »

Shit, I can't believe he doesn't listen to his own sound while playing, especially on the fretless.
What a guitarist! drool

Fuck 'Em All.
Bruno Poeys
VIP

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 07:13:51 AM »

Shit, I can't believe he doesn't listen to his own sound while playing, especially on the fretless.
What a guitarist! drool
that scared me. lol! That probably is really hard...

Thanks for the interview!

Dark Angel
Rocker

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2007, 08:20:29 AM »

Heres the rest. Thx again diag for translateing!

YG: By the way, who is the guy playing and singing a little after your solo time?
RT: Bubbles! (laugh) It's one famous comedian in Canada. He is host of the popular TV show "Trailor Park Boys". Being also a Musician, he has done rushes and tours, and he has called bands to his TV show. I think that Sebastian Bach has already done performance on it. We first met when GN'R was on tour in Canada and became friends. Since, he has been one more fellow on tours. As he has played some GN'R songs on his show, we sometimes invit him on stage to play those songs with us... But customers are usually perplexed. (laugh)
YG: This time too, he came with you?
RT: Yeah, for fun. But as he has come from a great distance, we invited him on stage.
YG: He's like a 9th member.
RT: Hahaha! GN'R is a big funny family! And the family is made to become bigger and bigger. It's also funny to welcome new members. (laugh)
YG: Atmosphere on stage is oriental. Is there a special meaning?
RT: I think that it's connected to the new album's concept: "Chinese Democracy".
YG: The new album's release, can you talk about it?
RT: I'm not the GN'R spokeman, then I don't talk much about it, and I don't kow much about it. (laugh) Waiting quietly for its release is the best you can do. I recorded last year and at the beginning of 2007, the album is really being edited. I do garantee the contents.
YG: There's a lot of gossips about this album, like already recorded songs could fill a triple album, and that it would be divided in 3 albums, being sold separated in 3 consecutive months...
RT: I hear all these gossips... And everyone maybe enjoy them. Well, I don't want to intrude in them, and all plans can change anytime, that's why I can't say anything. I want to avoid misunderstandings while saying wrong information.
YG: What are the plans after Japan tour?
RT: I'm sorry, I can't tell anything about it. It's better to speak after it's been fixed. Because speaking awkwardly produces only chaos, spreading wildly on the net through forums. (bitter laugh) This is the reason why I can't say anything.
YG: Ok, then let's talk about your albums.
RT: I can talk much about them, but I may betray you expectations...
YG: You said in our previous interview (in 2007/5 YG issue), that next album will be a double album recorded before this year end. Is it progressing steadily?
RT: Song writing was finished, and Dennis (Leeflang, drummer) and I were about to start to work on it. But somehow I wasn't grasping it. There was something... Something missing. I deleted songs that could have been used for an single album. I have to restart everything from a blank page.
YG: Concretely, there was something that you couldn't grasp?
RT: I wasn't believing what I was saying. Regarding both the lyrics and something in the music. In a word, I didn't make the connection with the songs. The songs were not powerfull enough. They were quite good, but they haven't guts enough.
YG: The album release was scheduled next year, but it seems to be drasticaly later.
RT: I'm back to the blank page state, it's inevitable. I can only please you to wait for it. (bitter laugh)
YG: Ok, what about the gears you used this time on stage. The main was a Flying V guitar.
RT: Actually, it belongs to Robin. As he wasn't using it, I borrowed him. It's a Gibson Custom Shop guitar, I think.
YG: The acoustic guitar?
RT: A Parkwood guitar. I like the feeling when playing. Greg Howe is also using it, if I remember well.
YG: The Vigier Fretless is the last one. When did you get it?
RT: In 1998? I got it from Vigier. I've been using it since then. He is producing this fretless guitar for 25 years, but there's not so many guitarists using this gear, hugh? This is why it was a real challenge for me.
YG: Amps and effectors?
RT: LINE6 VETTA 2x12 COMBO. All effectors are embedded inside. I only have a wah pedal independently.
YG: We are waiting for the new GN'R album and your production, with high expectations!
RT: Instrumental stuffs are still OK, but I cancelled all vocal songs. It's a new start from zero. After making my mind clear, I'll search for something which I can be happy with!

enjoy what you do have"
www.bumblefoot.com
www.baldfreak.com
Bruno Poeys
VIP

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 08:41:48 AM »

YG: What are the plans after Japan tour?
RT: I'm sorry, I can't tell anything about it. It's better to speak after it's been fixed. Because speaking awkwardly produces only chaos, spreading wildly on the net through forums. (bitter laugh) This is the reason why I can't say anything.
yeah, those retarded whiners always fuck everything up.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 10:20:14 AM by Bruno Poeys » Logged

Lucky
Legend

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 09:34:20 AM »

not the whiners but the "OMNZG ITS A SIGN" guys...

Bruno Poeys
VIP

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2007, 10:19:11 AM »

not the whiners but the "OMNZG ITS A SIGN" guys...
true. but the whiners also are an ass.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2007, 12:20:13 PM »

YG: Ok, what about the gears you used this time on stage. The main was a Flying V guitar.
RT: Actually, it belongs to Robin. As he wasn't using it, I borrowed him. It's a Gibson Custom Shop guitar, I think.

Robin and a Flying V? wow Shocked
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 12:23:16 PM »

Robin and a Flying V? wow Shocked

Yeah, that would be pretty cool to see...
Cant wait to see Robin get his Total Guitar interview.. hope we he does..

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Lucky
Legend

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2007, 12:24:21 PM »

Now that would be epic to see. drool
it's cewl that these guys "talk to each other"... and that they have a healthy relationship (gosh I sound like Oprah  confused )
unlike what was said to be a BH/RF relation...

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2007, 01:29:48 PM »

Now that would be epic to see. drool
it's cewl that these guys "talk to each other"... and that they have a healthy relationship (gosh I sound like Oprah  confused )
unlike what was said to be a BH/RF relation...

what something is said to be is not what it's actually is.
I can't see anyone ever having an unhealthy relationship with robin.  confused
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: