Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:15:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  My Tribute to Robin Finck
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Tribute to Robin Finck  (Read 7682 times)
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007, 10:54:56 PM »

[$lash worshipper whose opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.

He was just paying Voodoo a compliment. Maybe you should chill a while, dunk your head in ice or something... or else you might have an aneurysm.

dude this whole thread was a bash to robin.? ?read the whole thing.

Wise one, but I am complimenting Voodoo's playing!!!  And, I am bashing the 2006 Mexico solo everyone raved about by doing my rendition of the same solo.  Jim Bob, I know he is your idol.  He isn't mine.  For love of God, I was having fun, but realized it was taken the wrong way so I took it down. 

Jim Bob, tell us what you love about Robin and compare contrast with Ron and Richard.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007, 10:57:00 PM »

Voodoo, give us some more youtube videos of you.? You rock.
No, I don't. Tongue

Maybe you're being sarcastic here, but anyways, there's more videos with this newgnr cover band in my Youtube profile.

Voodoo, I like the studio solos!? His live solos where he jams suck when compared to Ron Thal.? Ron is the badass, and Fortus is good too.?
Well, as far as composing interesting melodies, I'd go with Robin anytime. Richard is too regular (100% competent, but far from being original) and Ron is cool but shreds way too much. Listening to Robin's solo in Budokan 2007 is fucking pleasure to me, while I just skip Ron and Richard's solos on my mp3.

Maybe this is like Joe Perry and Brad Whitford, where Whitford is the better player, but Perry gets all the claim!
If you're going with being better technically, maybe you're right. Richard and Ron are better than Robin in this side. But tell me who's the better writer... I think the same goes with Perry.?

You know what, if you listen to the songs that Brad wrote in Aerosmith and he plays lead on, they are badass and a lot heavier.  A few of his good ones are on Rocks and they...Rock!
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2007, 11:23:08 PM »

He was just paying Voodoo a compliment. Maybe you should chill a while, dunk your head in ice or something... or else you might have an aneurysm.

dude this whole thread was a bash to robin.   read the whole thing.

Wise one, but I am complimenting Voodoo's playing!!!  And, I am bashing the 2006 Mexico solo everyone raved about by doing my rendition of the same solo.  Jim Bob, I know he is your idol.  He isn't mine.  For love of God, I was having fun, but realized it was taken the wrong way so I took it down. 

Jim Bob, tell us what you love about Robin and compare contrast with Ron and Richard.

having fun at robin's expense?  Undecided   I think the dude has gotten enough shit from Slash fans as it is.

Robin is just a notch above the other two guys in my opinion with his level of showmanship, and he just has the perfect tone and style to his playing.   Don't get me wrong tho I love Richard and Ron.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2007, 11:26:00 PM »

dude this whole thread was a bash to robin.? ?read the whole thing.

Wise one, but I am complimenting Voodoo's playing!!!? And, I am bashing the 2006 Mexico solo everyone raved about by doing my rendition of the same solo.? Jim Bob, I know he is your idol.? He isn't mine.? For love of God, I was having fun, but realized it was taken the wrong way so I took it down.?

having fun at robin's expense?? Undecided? ?I think the dude has gotten enough shit from Slash fans as it is.

Robin is just a notch above the other two guys in my opinion with his level of showmanship, and he just has the perfect tone and style to his playing.? ?Don't get me wrong tho I love Richard and Ron.

ok  I love 2/3 of the guitarists!!  Ha.  I like Finck, just think a tad overrated!  Ha!  I agree it was tasteless of me.  Unlike others on this forum, I can admit when I made a mistake. 
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2007, 11:35:37 PM »

I like Robin. His solos (in songs) are great, and he brings alot to the stage.
But after seeing them live, I think I prefer Ron and Richard's solos. Robin's just didn't really flow, and striking high notes repeatidly while walking across the stage doesn't sound good.
To be perfectly honest, when I saw Robin's solos in Sydney both nights I thought they was overly self indulgent and too long.
There was some nice melody thrown in here and there, but all too quickly it went back to jaggered screeching.
Richard's and Ron's, on the other hand, impressed the hell out of me.
But Robin makes up for it with his solos in the new songs- great!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2007, 11:50:40 PM »

But after seeing them live, I think I prefer Ron and Richard's solos. Robin's just didn't really flow, and striking high notes repeatidly while walking across the stage doesn't sound good.
To be perfectly honest, when I saw Robin's solos in Sydney both nights I thought they was overly self indulgent and too long.
There was some nice melody thrown in here and there, but all too quickly it went back to jaggered screeching.

Looks like my opinion is shared by many.   
cfcsfc
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2007, 11:54:45 PM »

Looks like my opinion is shared by many.? ?

Yeah, but I wouldn't go so far as to call him a hack, or a bad copy, I certainly don't share that, I just don't really dig his individual solo.
But at least you said it was tasteless  peace
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 12:01:50 AM »

At Madison Square Garden....I thought Robin's first really bluesy solo was amazing.  I never really took much attention to anything I heard from him before that bootleg wise.......but it really caught my ear that night.  I haven't been able to find an mp3 of that, but I'd love to.  He was really on point that night....like blazing as were the other guys, but Robin so much more. 

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2007, 09:12:39 AM »

I must admit voodoo is very talented. But it doesn't mean Robin is untalented. He is very original and so is voodoo. maybe it's sorta like a genius knows another genius. Tongue
No no mate. Thanks, but I'm way too far from Robin. I wish I had 1/3 of his skills as a writer.

Bruno, I dig your playing, dude!
Oh, and... lose the singer, haha  Grin
Haha, thanks Lara. But I already lost the singer, lol. hihi

I agree that Robin's improvised solos do have no structure, and tend to have quite a bit of mistakes, but he's not that bad.
You mean his jam solos or the real solos on songs?

his jam solo, that what i meant by improvised. Unlike most guitarists who's solos revolve around a theme or motif, robins just seem endless, completely random, and like i said before, structureless.
I don't think so. Take his blues jam as example, it builds up from the main riff... Just when the drums stops is when he just plays random - I guess it's more to show how he can play fast than to really add something, since his old solos were misunderstood a lot.

Voodoo, I am not sarcastic at all!  I agree with most of your points!   ok

I still feel Bumble is being underused.  I am still not sure what his role is.  When he does his "don't cry" version, how can that not move anyone?  Well, I know you don't mean he doesn't, but he is just a monster.  As was Bucket.

I will reserve final judgement on Robin after CD is released, but to me the other two are in another league.  We shall see!
Cool man, sorry for saying that. But I still think he's on another level...

You know what, if you listen to the songs that Brad wrote in Aerosmith and he plays lead on, they are badass and a lot heavier.  A few of his good ones are on Rocks and they...Rock!
Well, still are not the better ones, IMO.

At Madison Square Garden....I thought Robin's first really bluesy solo was amazing.  I never really took much attention to anything I heard from him before that bootleg wise.......but it really caught my ear that night.  I haven't been able to find an mp3 of that, but I'd love to.  He was really on point that night....like blazing as were the other guys, but Robin so much more. 
Sound: A- or B+
http://rapidshare.com/files/65546089/MSG_2006_disc_1.rar.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/65573873/MSG_2006_disc_2.rar.html

I dunno the original source, but it was on my board:

http://www.perfectcrimegnr.com/showthread.php?t=4858

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: