Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:20:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Richard Fortus on guitar hero - James Bond Theme.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Richard Fortus on guitar hero - James Bond Theme.  (Read 19145 times)
4tus phenomenon
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2009, 02:25:15 PM »

What about beeing important in the band?  Tongue  

You have more responsability when you play in a 2 guitar players band, you are more important because you play more parts. You have more exposure. People know you better and you have more input on the music, that's it. peace
Look, Chinese Democracy is a great record, but there's not a really a "Star" on Guitar on this record, because on one song there is this player, on the next song there's another player, the next one another player etc... You just can't identify one or two influencial guitarists all along the record. None of them play enough for that.

Don't you think the band needs a Star on Guitar like Slash in the old band? Don't you feel like it's missing? not necessarily musically, but in term of influence and personality. Something like "this guy is on the record from begining to the end and I can feel his presence all over the record with Axl".

Tongue

PS : this is for jarmo
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 02:32:10 PM by 4tus phenomenon » Logged

Duff can't "open" for GN'R : it's his band.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2009, 02:42:24 PM »

It's a band.

Not a Richard Fortus solo project.

Regarding your two guitar player propaganda, if Axl thinks the band needs three guitar players, they do. I'm pretty sure he has a better idea of what the band should sound like than you.  ok

By the way, they also have two drummers.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2009, 02:47:59 PM »

Don't belittle rhythm section or any section in music.

GNR is not a 2 guitar band for almost a decade.

4tus phenomenon
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2009, 04:17:13 PM »

It's not an Axl Rose solo project either, even if he is awesome  Smiley

Do you think the band agree with 3 Guitar Players? I remember an interview you did with Tommy in 2004 after a VGH show when he said after the BH's departure that the band didn't need a 3rd player and was fine with 2 players... did you already forget that?  Smiley

Don't you think the 3 players idea is a way to avoide any of them to be too important and a way for Axl to keep control over the band?
That's the way I see it. That's just my opinion of course, I don't pretend to hold the truth. Axl tried to do that with Slash with Paul Tobias, by bringing a new "collaborator" in order to reduce Slash influence in the band. It's very political. That's the impression I've always had. But maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. What do you think?

You didn't answer to my question : what about beeing important in the band and having a key role? Do you really think you can when your have a minimal input on guitar, and in the band?

Tongue

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:24:06 PM by 4tus phenomenon » Logged

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2009, 04:22:56 PM »

Do you think the band agree with 3 Guitar Players? I remember an interview you did with Tommy in 2004 after a VGH show when he said after the BH's departure that the band didn't need a 3rd player and was fine with 2 players... did you already forget that?  Smiley

Hey, so by the way.

2004 was half a decade ago. ok
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:26:23 PM by AdZ » Logged
4tus phenomenon
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2009, 04:28:42 PM »

Yes, but it still remains true to me.

You know, it's a question I would have loved to ask to Axl, but I was busy when he was online answering fans questions. I wasn't available to ask him this question.

I think it would be very interesting to have his opinion on this. Talking about influence, responsability of each member in the band and yes, talking about leadership.

Maybe next time  peace
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:32:03 PM by 4tus phenomenon » Logged

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2009, 04:31:31 PM »

Mr 4tus himself wouldn't agree with you nes. he's said he thinks each guitarist has an important role different to the others.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2009, 04:51:12 PM »

You know, it's a question I would have loved to ask to Axl, but I was busy when he was online answering fans questions. I wasn't available to ask him this question.

I think it would be very interesting to have his opinion on this. Talking about influence, responsability of each member in the band and yes, talking about leadership.

Maybe next time  peace

for now this should do.

axl:
I understand it's for whatever reason a bit of a challenge for most people to feel comfortable in their minds with any band having more than two guitarists, but technically, as far as our recording goes, we're a bit more alike with the older recordings than one might think. On the older records, though, it's very distinct that there are generally two guitar parts -- each part is actually performed and recorded twice, giving a fuller sound, so in effect you have four guitars. Leads and fills are another pass, and often songs were originally written and demos were done with other guitarists as well.

On 'Chinese,' instead of having the same player double his part, we chose to add another voice and either each player's own take on the part or their take of another's, then there's leads and fills which vary from one person or a few on a track. Also on this record, though, you may have one player playing more than one part in a section; they generally tend to be two distinct parts and not overdubs or harmonizing with their own leads or fills. No way is better than another; it's just whatever works for what you're trying to do, what you personally want or for whatever reason you feel you either need, choose or like.

For this record, I wanted a blend of different-style sounds and approaches; some at least a bit unique to the individual players and their takes on these songs. I feel the different personalities and techniques give the material its own sense of originality. Live, I prefer the more solid approach of the three guitars now, especially as the performances with the rhythm are more energetic, consistent and reliable. It was fun having Izzy on board a bit adding yet another voice to the mix and seemed to work better for the songs this way, as opposed to having him by himself.

Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2009, 05:14:32 PM »

What about beeing important in the band?  Tongue  

You have more responsability when you play in a 2 guitar players band, you are more important because you play more parts. You have more exposure. People know you better and you have more input on the music, that's it. peace
Look, Chinese Democracy is a great record, but there's not a really a "Star" on Guitar on this record, because on one song there is this player, on the next song there's another player, the next one another player etc... You just can't identify one or two influencial guitarists all along the record. None of them play enough for that.

Don't you think the band needs a Star on Guitar like Slash in the old band? Don't you feel like it's missing? not necessarily musically, but in term of influence and personality. Something like "this guy is on the record from begining to the end and I can feel his presence all over the record with Axl".

Tongue

PS : this is for jarmo

HAHA... well... I've actually long thought the idea was to put the emphasis on Tommy Stinson as the #2 guy (because of his independent success and fame and to dial down the Axl-lead guitarist emphasis). As I recall, there was some kind of leak in the rock media to that effect way back when Tommy first joined the band too. The fluctuation in guitar players since (Finck, Buckethead, Tobias, Fortus, Thal, Ashba) perhaps bears that out. But who the hell knows...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2009, 05:30:15 PM »

Where did he say they didn't need three guitar players?

A hint: He didn't!

Don't you think the 3 players idea is a way to avoide any of them to be too important and a way for Axl to keep control over the band?
That's the way I see it. That's just my opinion of course, I don't pretend to hold the truth. Axl tried to do that with Slash with Paul Tobias, by bringing a new "collaborator" in order to reduce Slash influence in the band. It's very political. That's the impression I've always had. But maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. What do you think?

Why so many guitars on 'Chinese Democracy'?

Why not?

Seriously, past Guns records have only two. Why did you feel the need for more on this endeavor?

I understand it's for whatever reason a bit of a challenge for most people to feel comfortable in their minds with any band having more than two guitarists, but technically, as far as our recording goes, we're a bit more alike with the older recordings than one might think. On the older records, though, it's very distinct that there are generally two guitar parts -- each part is actually performed and recorded twice, giving a fuller sound, so in effect you have four guitars. Leads and fills are another pass, and often songs were originally written and demos were done with other guitarists as well.

On 'Chinese,' instead of having the same player double his part, we chose to add another voice and either each player's own take on the part or their take of another's, then there's leads and fills which vary from one person or a few on a track. Also on this record, though, you may have one player playing more than one part in a section; they generally tend to be two distinct parts and not overdubs or harmonizing with their own leads or fills. No way is better than another; it's just whatever works for what you're trying to do, what you personally want or for whatever reason you feel you either need, choose or like.

For this record, I wanted a blend of different-style sounds and approaches; some at least a bit unique to the individual players and their takes on these songs. I feel the different personalities and techniques give the material its own sense of originality. Live, I prefer the more solid approach of the three guitars now, especially as the performances with the rhythm are more energetic, consistent and reliable. It was fun having Izzy on board a bit adding yet another voice to the mix and seemed to work better for the songs this way, as opposed to having him by himself.

Do you really think you can when your have a minimal input on guitar, and in the band?

Yes, definitely.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2009, 05:41:16 PM »

What Axl said about the more solid approach is true, just listen to the richness in guitar work on CD. It's fucking awesome to listen to all the layers of guitar, it makes for a very full and complex sound, as well as diverse and original. The guitar work on Chinese is the most impressive out of all Guns records in my opinion.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2009, 05:58:23 PM »

I think many of the songs would lose some of their depth and unique "flavoring" with only two guitar players live as well.  I'm sure If The World could be done with two guitar players, but .... it'd be missing a lot with just two guitarists.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2009, 06:01:49 PM »

I think many of the songs would lose some of their depth and unique "flavoring" with only two guitar players live as well.  I'm sure If The World could be done with two guitar players, but .... it'd be missing a lot with just two guitarists.

I agree. For those of you who saw Guns live in 2006, you know what kind of fucking three-headed monster GN'R are on stage now. There's no going back from that.

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
gonella
Opening Act

Wake up.... Try..... And Dieeeeeeeeee

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2009, 10:21:24 AM »

http://www.richardfortusonline.com/music/bond%20master%20mix.mp3#/the_official_website_of_richard_fortus_bond_20master_20mix.mp3
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2009, 09:26:09 PM »

I was listening to this again a couple of days ago, and it sounds great....

I haven't played the game, but I assume it works really nicely in it.

Seems like the kind of song that would.

/jarmo

dimitrisaxl
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2009, 01:06:22 PM »

I like it very much!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2009, 01:16:04 PM »

will make an amazing solo spot for the upcoming GNR tour.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2009, 08:38:51 AM »

It's good and it should be on Rock Band as well.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2009, 10:37:21 AM »

But isn't rock band rock band?
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2009, 11:18:40 AM »

Awesome...that's all I have to say Smiley Have really liked the snippets of Richards stuff we have heard and hope his influence is all over nu gnr's stuff in future.

God I've missed some of those guitar tones in GNR...sigh, had quite forgotten till that was played.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:21:34 AM by carmiedisco12 » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: