Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Errors in Slash's book (list only, discussion in the other thread)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Errors in Slash's book (list only, discussion in the other thread)  (Read 67619 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« on: November 21, 2007, 07:24:19 PM »

Factual errors:

- Page 1: "I was born on July 23, 1965 in Stoke On Trent, England"
- He was born in Hampstead, England but spent his childhood in Stoke-on-Trent.

- Page 102: "We could have booked a gig locally because, collectively, we all knew the right people, but no, we decided that after three rehearsals, we were ready for a tour."
- The first show the Appetite For Destruction line-up played was on June 6th, 1985 at the Troubadour in Hollywood, CA. The tour up to Seattle happened after that show.

- Page 164: "Del ended up writing treatments for some of our videos, as well as having written the short story that inspired Axl to write "November Rain"."
- Del wrote Without You which inspired the video to November Rain and at least part of Estranged.

- Page 210: "When we got on set, we met JJ Jackson, the host, and he was really cool. "
- J.J. Jackson didn't interview GN'R on Headbanger's Ball in 1987. [Thanks Nevy]

- Page 221, 305: "Within a day, we hooked up with Fred Curry, the drummer for Cinderella, and he was great in a pinch."
- Fred Coury is the drummer's name. [Thanks Nevy]

- Page 259: Tom Mayhue's name misspelled as Tom Mayhew.

- Page 323: "We had three theater dates in L.A., San Francisco, and New York, with various bands opening for us, such as Blind Melon and Faith No More and Raging Slab."
- Raging Slab opened for GN'R at the NYC show, Dumpster opened in San Francisco and L.A. Shannon Hoon (of Blind Melon) sang with the band at the L.A. show.

- Page 323: ".. including two nights at the Inglewood Forum in L.A."
- It was actually four nights.

- Page 335: "After we got out stage show together, backup singers, horn section, and all, and we did a week's worth of rehearsals with every element intact, suddenly we found ourselves in South America, before a crowd of 180,000 at Rock In Rio II, on January 20, 1991."
- The extended lineup played its first show on December 5th, 1991 (the second US leg) in Worcester, MA.

- Page 339: "When he jumped down, it was great, we kept playing that suspenseful riff that starts off "Rocket Queen," and I thought the whole moment was killer. When Axl got back onstage, everything felt triumphant for a second... then he grabbed the mike, said something like, "Because of the bullshit security, we're going home," slammed the mike down, and walked offstage.

The band kept going. We'd gotten good at improvising to fill dead space - drum solos, guitar solos jams - we had a bag of tricks to keep things moving whenever Axl made a sudden exit. We kept jamming, and I went over to the side of the stage.

"Where is he? I asked Doug.

He looked at me with a pained expression. "He's not coming back."

"What do you mean he's not coming back?" I shouted, still playing the riff.

"There is no way he is coming back," Doug said. "There is nothing I can do."

We were about ninety minutes into our set, which was our minimum contractually, but the plan was to play a two-hour ser and the crowd wasn't close to satisfied. They knew there was a lot more left. I would have done anything to get Axl back onstage at that point.

"Ask him again!" I yelled. "Find out if he's really not going to." I should have known by Doug's expression that there was no use.

Once it was final, we had no choice: the band put down our gear, and it was like pulling the plug on the stereo - the song just ended on a question mark. That entire arena sat there expecting something to happen, but instead we walked offstage without a word."
- The following is what happened and it can be seen in the pro-shot bootleg footage from the show. About 1:15 into the song, Axl asks security "Hey, take that! Take that now! Get that guy and take that........ I'll take it Goddamn it!" He jumps into the crowd while the band keeps playing the riff Slash mentioned. Axl returns to the stage at around 1:57 into the song, motions for the band to stop playing and says "Well, thanks to the lame ass security, I'm going home.". Then he throws down his microphone, walks past Slash and walks offstage. Slash proceeds to say something into the microphone. His last line is "We're out of here".

Page 350: "In May of 1992. We announced that we would coheadline a summer tour with Metallica starting July 7"
- The tour started on July 17th, 1992 at the RFK Stadium in Washington, DC.

- Page 363: "I got married  to Renee in October 1991."

- Page 412: "On the morning of 9/11, we were woken up at 8:15 by David Williams, Michael's house guitar player .... ... I saw that a plane had hit the Twin Towers, and moments later the second one hit while I was actually watching."
- Flight 11 crashed into the north face of the North Tower of the World Trade Center at 8:46:40. Flight 175 crashes into the south face of the South Tower at 9:03:11. 

- Page 437: ".... and the Pistols' "Pretty Vacant."
- They played "Bodies" by Sex Pistols at their first show as well as playing it on tour.

- Several pages: Slash's current band mate in VR, Dave Kushner, is referred to as Dave Kirscher in several places in the book.

If you find something you think is a factual error, post it in this thread.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 04:34:35 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 09:47:08 PM »

Jarmo, seems like some pretty basic stuff, mainly dates that are wrong.  Those shouldn't be wrong, but its not nearly as bad as I thought this list would be.  Thanks for pointing those out, good work!    ok
kriss_boy
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 06:05:12 PM »

Hopefully Slash will never read this thread because hes gona think your one helluva loser lol
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 06:07:52 PM »

Hopefully Slash will never read this thread because hes gona think your one helluva loser lol
oh no!   jarmo is going to be heartbroken.
kriss_boy
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 06:09:32 PM »

Oh no hes not!!!
OH YES HE IS!!!!
*crowd*  OH NO HES NOT!!!!

We call this pantomime in the UK  Grin
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 06:14:26 PM »

LOL

I'm so worried about what Slash and you think of me!   Cry

I think he has more important things to do. Like making sure the backaches, loss of appetite and so on are gone. Oh, and I think he's in a band too....

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 06:19:16 PM »

Or think:

A) "Maybe I should've gave the final draft a quick read before I handed it over to the publisher."
B) "Never hire that editor ever again."

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
kriss_boy
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 06:22:30 PM »

C) "Appreciate that an autobiographical piece of literature contains literally 1000s of 'facts', of which an extremely small proportion may be slightly incorrect"
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007, 06:25:40 PM »

whats your source for slash's place of birth jarmo?

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007, 06:29:06 PM »

C) "Appreciate that an autobiographical piece of literature contains literally 1000s of 'facts', of which an extremely small proportion may be slightly incorrect"

HOORAY!!!!

Apparently it's quite ok to correct errors in other people's posts, newspaper articles, unofficial books and so on, not to mention how somebody missed a note in a song. But DO NOT, under any circumstances, dare to point out Slash's book has errors.

That makes you a loser!!!!  yes

whats your source for slash's place of birth jarmo?

I don't remember the original source.

But last week Slash admitted it himself... His dad noticed the error:

I've gotten not too many comments about little mistakes in it. Like my dad told me about one. I was born in Hampstead, not Stoke-on-Trent. I lived in Stoke-on-Trent but I was born in Hampstead.

And I knew that, but it just slipped right by me in the book. It was the first thing that was written in the book and it was the first and last time I ever saw it. And I didn't catch it then....

My God, Slash's dad noticed the error and told Slash he got it wrong.

What a loser!!!!! Right?  Roll Eyes

Edit:

For The Record, before a Slash fan takes this out of context: I'm not calling Slash or his dad a loser. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy in kriss_boy's post.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 07:02:49 PM by jarmo » Logged

kriss_boy
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 06:40:53 PM »

HOORAY!!!!

Apparently it's quite ok to correct errors in other people's posts, newspaper articles, unofficial books and so on, not to mention how somebody missed a note in a song. But DO NOT, under any circumstances, dare to point out Slash's book has errors.

That makes you a loser!!!!? yes

I merely expanded on the post- I didnt correct it!

So.. that makes you the loser again then Cheesy I love this game!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 06:41:52 PM »

So.. that makes you the loser again then Cheesy I love this game!

That makes you banned. Still love the game?

I didn't call a you a loser. I said according to people like you, commenting on the errors in Slash's book makes one a loser.

Anyway, fuck off with your game.

/jarmo

Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 06:44:39 PM »

I don't remember the original source.

But last week Slash admitted it himself... His dad noticed the error:

I've gotten not too many comments about little mistakes in it. Like my dad told me about one. I was born in Hampstead, not Stoke-on-Trent. I lived in Stoke-on-Trent but I was born in Hampstead.

And I knew that, but it just slipped right by me in the book. It was the first thing that was written in the book and it was the first and last time I ever saw it. And I didn't catch it then....

My God, Slash's dad noticed the error and told Slash he got it wrong. What a loser!!!!!

/jarmo

cheers

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 06:49:43 PM »

No problem.

I think I read it on snakepit.org too...... So it's been known before the book was even planned.

For The Record, before a Slash fan takes this out of context: I'm not calling Slash or his dad a loser. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy in kriss_boy's post. 

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 07:01:51 PM by jarmo » Logged

saint seiya
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 08:32:51 PM »

damn jarmo you are a nerd

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 08:37:13 PM »

damn jarmo you are a nerd

Yes, I wear glasses and I have a computer. I'm such a nerd.

At least I don't post pics of others while telling myself I'm cool.

Funny how none of these Internet tough guys ever post pics of themselves.

Now go back to wherever you fucking came from.

Anyone else want to stop posting here?

/jarmo
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:48:19 PM by jarmo » Logged

DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 08:49:22 PM »

and i'm a nerd and i don't even wear glasses, wow.

damn, the guy can't tell where he was born and when he got married ??

slash...  rofl

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007, 09:28:48 PM »

Jarmo ... that pic of you ... the guy that posted it ... did you ban him?

If so ... why are you replying to him?  Can he still see ?  I didn't know if you were banned whether you can see the forum still or if you're locked out ....

Just curious Smiley lol... not really related.  But still ... I've seen two names with 'Banned Rocker' next to them today.

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 09:31:02 PM »

Did he mention that he didn't like ballads and did not want to record Sweet Child, Patience, November Rain, Don't Cry...? Did he mention something about going to Axl's house in 2005? Because, as we all know, he lied about that - not only once. Wink

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007, 09:33:16 PM »

I've seen two names with 'Banned Rocker' next to them today.
They're all angry because some people actually said "Slash is a liar". That's a sin! rofl
Yeah, he banned those guys. I think they can't read what we write anymore.

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: