Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:29:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228064 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Slash Comments On Book Signing Tour
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash Comments On Book Signing Tour  (Read 95658 times)
elmir
VIP

« Reply #420 on: January 17, 2008, 01:45:23 PM »

True, he was in guitar magazines and metal mags, but was he on morning TV, talk shows and mainstream media as much as he's been after VR started? As far as I remember, he wasn't.

well, he did start a band which sold a few million records, won a Grammy along the way.....and its Slash....people know Slash....people love Slash....the fact that he was in the public eye again, and not just a hero to a cult fan base made it easier to have him as a guest on all those shows....perhaps some journo out there thought of calling Slash up for his comments when Axl resurfaced, purely for entertainment value, as the split was bitter.....

but what else is there?

Slash whores HIMSELF to anything and anything he can to make a buck.

that's a terrible thing to say....Slash and Buckethead are famous for their VISUAL IMAGE as much as their musical abilities...their visual appearance can be sold, and they are able to earn money off that....

its a privilege not many of us are afforded in our lifetime....so if you can....cashing it in is the only way to go....

Axl's brand image revolves around his voice....that's his selling point....it was his looks too....but since he changed that, people would rather focus on his voice, as that is the most unique thing about him....

the fact that he personally chose not to cash in on that asset in the public eye over the past 15 years is not Slash's fault...or Bucketheads....or anyone else's who was associated with Axl Rose for the past 20 years....

Slash is a father of two, a married man, so when someone comes up to him with a business idea which could make him a small fortune in a short space of time without breaking a sweat.....why the fuck shouldn't he go for it?

saying that he "whores" himself is very harsh....and completely unjustified....

Axl: Voice for a character not named Axl in a video game and Axl did no promotion for it.

Slash: Character modeled after Slash, with top hat and everything in game, picture on the game's cover art, done promotion for it.

perhaps the creative team behind GTA approached Axl with that idea only...?....not anything else...?...perhaps Axl's royalty fees were too much for them to have him doing interviews about the game around the world...?

there are a million different potential options to that comparison, other than the one you made....millions more...

Slash is a visual icon...and the fact that he allowed them to use his visual appearance in a guitar video game and not a washing detergent is commendable....at least he's trying to stay within the industry where he belongs....those VW adverts a while back were a shocker....i know...and that was purely cash grabbing....but who are we to judge character and choices like that?

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
elmir
VIP

« Reply #421 on: January 17, 2008, 01:52:30 PM »

You don't see the difference between using your old band's name to further your own current career and playing shows with your current band in order to keep that band moving forward?

Slash is not using GNR's name in any way to further his own career....he doesn't have to further his own career....its Slash....the last great guitar hero....he did what he did....his place in guitar heaven is secure....he was (one of) the main asset of GNR....his book will talk about that, because it took up only 20 years of his life....

He mentioned many times in VR interviews that he'd rather not be asked about GNR....

so how is he using GNR now to further his own career....?

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #422 on: January 17, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »

because it took up only 20 years of his life....

more like 10 years
elmir
VIP

« Reply #423 on: January 17, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »

more like 10 years

well, with all due respect, the period from 1993 until VR formed was very much a "gnr nightmare" period for him....snakepit wasn't working out...wherever he went people harassed him about gnr....lawsuits with axl over god knows what...royalties...band name rights....abuses....you name it....these guys fought about it....

only when VR formed....was Slash truly "out" of GNR....so i'd say 20 years is a fairly accurate description....

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #424 on: January 17, 2008, 03:22:26 PM »

You don't see the difference between using your old band's name to further your own current career and playing shows with your current band in order to keep that band moving forward?

Slash is not using GNR's name in any way to further his own career....he doesn't have to further his own career....its Slash....the last great guitar hero....he did what he did....his place in guitar heaven is secure....he was (one of) the main asset of GNR....his book will talk about that, because it took up only 20 years of his life....

He mentioned many times in VR interviews that he'd rather not be asked about GNR....

so how is he using GNR now to further his own career....?

In my opinion, yes.

He wrote a book that's supposed to answer certain questions about GN'R and set the record straight. Which is kinda weird since he's not the only part of that puzzle... Anyway.

So obviously all the interest he got for that book is mostly due to GN'R.

Because of all that GN'R talk in the book, he gets to go on all these talk shows to talk about Axl and GN'R....

I just didn't see him doing the same back in the years before the book came out. At least not on this scale.

True, he said he didn't wanna talk about GN'R. So he writes a book dealing with GN'R and ends up spending more time talking about GN'R than before.....

You don't see it that way, fair enough.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #425 on: January 17, 2008, 04:02:58 PM »

Am I wrong or Slash appears on GH3 playing WTTJ?

I know you can download VR songs, but his role on the main game is with GNR, huh?

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #426 on: January 17, 2008, 04:13:32 PM »

Am I wrong or Slash appears on GH3 playing WTTJ?

I know you can download VR songs, but his role on the main game is with GNR, huh?

I haven't played it, but as far as I know, VR is not part of the game unless you pay extra.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #427 on: January 17, 2008, 04:59:21 PM »

well, with all due respect, the period from 1993 until VR formed was very much a "gnr nightmare" period for him....snakepit wasn't working out...wherever he went people harassed him about gnr....lawsuits with axl over god knows what...royalties...band name rights....abuses....you name it....these guys fought about it....

only when VR formed....was Slash truly "out" of GNR....so i'd say 20 years is a fairly accurate description....

#7. Moreover - Slash will not be involved in any new Guns N' Roses endeavors, as he has not been musically involved with Guns N' Roses, since April 1994, with the exception of a BRIEF feel period with Zakk Wylde and a 2 week trial (? - not sure about the word there) period with Guns N' Roses in the fall of 95.

He (Slash) has been OFFICIALLY and LEGALLY outside of the Guns N' Roses Partnreship since December 31, 1995.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=49389.msg1009827#msg1009827

Sounds to me like Slash was very much out of Gn'R before Velvet Revolver formed ok

« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 05:02:17 PM by Stoned » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #428 on: January 17, 2008, 05:35:53 PM »

I think people , on both sides of the argument , have over analyzed things. Slash , in my opinion , is a simple person. He doesn't really think he is "whoring" himself to the media by doing certain things. Slash will always be known for 3 things: Guitar Playing , Top Hat , and Guns N' Roses. There is no escaping it , same goes for Axl , if he ever did another project or decided to change the name of the band he will never be just Axl Rose , he will ALWAYS be Axl Rose of Guns N Roses fame. It does suck but its how the world works. The book was an amazing read , its kinda of cool to know what Slash was thinking and how stuff unfolded in the GNR world.

BTW I saw a poster a couple pages back saying he was disgusting on how Slash could blatantly be "proud" of his drug addiction and alcoholism , and that just made me laugh out loud he was in a band that glorified these things what do you honestly expect?
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #429 on: January 17, 2008, 06:02:35 PM »

more like 10 years
It doesnt matter how long or short. What matters is that when he was in gnr the band was and will go down as one of the greatest rock bands of all time. His impact cannot be pushed away or minimized. He, like Axl, will always be linked to GNR.

I understand Slash contradicts himself when he says he doesnt want to talk about GNR yet he then gos off and writes a book.

Regardless, when writing a book about his life, it will naturally talk about GNR. As it should. Otherwise why would anyone want to read it. GNr was his life.

Anyone who hasnt read the book should read it. Its a great read and any GNR fan will enjoy it.

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #430 on: January 17, 2008, 06:47:40 PM »

Jim Bob, you are an Axlite and have been owned this whole thread by Young gunner who is an objective Axlite.  How does it feel to be owned to then have to go to the "this topic isn't about Axl" and then Falcon calls you out on it. 

YG, I agree with your comments as well.  Axl on GTA and Buckethead are two fine examples.  Its not Slash's fault Axl hasn't done a better job with his personal PR.  And Voodoo, Welcome to the Jungle is a very, very famous song and this Guitar Hero focused on Rock Classics and Welcome To the Jungle is.  And if you remember, Slash and Duff I beleive are still part of the back catologue group with Axl.  What I wonder is if Axl gave approval for use of the song in the game to help promote his band inturn promoting Slash at the same time?  Interesting.

Jim Bob and Jarmo, did Axl Rose, give permission to allow Welcome to the Jungle to be a featured song on GH3 knowing that Slash would be the spokesperson?  If so, than him and Slash actually agreed to release it, (Duff too), to promote each other, GNR, and VR too, and all make some money off it.  Amazing. 
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #431 on: January 17, 2008, 07:06:10 PM »

I'm aware of all this, Smoking Guns. But that doesn't change the fact that Slash IS using GNR name. With all those things with Slash relating to GNR way more than VR, I don't think he's focusing on his current band.

Is he entitled to do such a thing? Sure he is. But it tells a lot about him.

About the using of WTTJ and Slash with Axl aknowledge, I dunno. Maybe it was just Geffen using the cathalog just like they did back with the Illusions DVDs and Greatest Hits, without any need to ask permission to Axl.

Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #432 on: January 17, 2008, 07:13:34 PM »

Jim Bob, you are an Axlite and have been owned this whole thread by Young gunner who is an objective Axlite.  How does it feel to be owned to then have to go to the "this topic isn't about Axl" and then Falcon calls you out on it. 

I wasn't "owned".     This is the general format for anyone who defending Slash.

Slash is A because of X
Oh Yea?  Well Axl is A because of Y

Its like thats the only way these slash fans know how to defend their lil hero.    It has nothing to do with Axl.   Just as when someone questions something Axl does, you won't see me pulling up everytime Slash did someting that might have been similar.    I'm tired of these stupid arguments, they are really lame. 

younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #433 on: January 17, 2008, 07:15:50 PM »

But that doesn't change the fact that Slash IS using GNR name.
how is he using the gnr name? GH went to him because Slash is one of the greatest guitar players of all time. Welcome To The Jungle is one of the greatest songs of all time. SHould they have asked Bumble to do it instead of Slash?

I dont get how Slash is whoring out a song he helped create. Especially since all parties involved were ok with it.

And if Geffen made that decision than its Axls fault too because guess who was a part of the agreement to sell the catalouge? yep you guessed it Axl.....I wonder why he made a deal...maybe because he needs money too??

Its like thats the only way these slash fans know how to defend their lil hero.    It has nothing to do with Axl.   Just as when someone questions something Axl does, you won't see me pulling up everytime Slash did someting that might have been similar.    I'm tired of these stupid arguments, they are really lame.

Your comebacks are lame too. Atleast Jarmo has the balls to respond and not hide like hes trying to follow the rules or something.

When in discussion, one needs to back up their statements with examples. Being that we are in talking about rock bands, selling out, etc the best way to compare and contrast is by using examples that can stick to that topic. Since we are ta;king about Slash, the next best example would be Axl if we are trying to compare some situations.

I understand you dont want to get on Jarmos bad side and you want to "follow the rules", etc but when hes responding back then I think its safe to say you can throw your hat in the ring too. So lets hear what you have to say Jimbo
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 07:21:31 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

« Reply #434 on: January 17, 2008, 07:19:01 PM »

SHould they have asked Bumble to do it instead of Slash?

Actually I was thinking Robin.. But Bumble would be good too!  ok    I don't think either of them would ever do something like that.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #435 on: January 17, 2008, 07:24:55 PM »

Actually I was thinking Robin.. But Bumble would be good too!      I don't think either of them would ever do something like that.
Robin would be my pick too ok

lol you sound so naive. So when CD hits the shelves and it explodes you dont want Robin in magazines or on MTV, talk shows etc?

Bumble has been on MTV Made so if he was asked to be in GH, I would bet the bank that he would take up that honor....and so he should!

So naive. One day the bubble will pop
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 07:55:59 PM by younggunner » Logged

JAC185
« Reply #436 on: January 17, 2008, 07:26:23 PM »

Slash is A because of X
Oh Yea?  Well Axl is A because of Y

I think the point is, they don't see it as a problem with Slash, you do. But you don't see it as a problem for Axl to do similar things.

Of course, alot of these fans also forgive Slash for that which they chastise Axl for, but you can see the (circular) argument there.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #437 on: January 17, 2008, 07:27:06 PM »

When in discussion, one needs to back up their statements with examples. Being that we are in talking about rock bands, selling out, etc the best way to compare and contrast is by using examples that can stick to that topic. Since we are ta;king about Slash, the next best example would be Axl if we are trying to compare some situations.

You have to admit that if somebody says something negative about Slash in this section, Axl's name is automatically brought up. Even you can't deny that.

You wanted to compare the two video game scenarios, I showed you why they're different but according to you, if you're in the game, you're in the game.

There's no difference if you're just the voice in the game and going out promoting it while appearing on the cover of the game.

Think of it like a movie.

Axl did a cameo. His name isn't associated with the movie and his image isn't on the movie posters.

Slash is like the star of the picture, doing press etc.

And you say the situation is the same?

Huh

/jarmo

Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #438 on: January 17, 2008, 07:29:36 PM »

You have to admit that if somebody says something negative about Slash in this section, Axl's name is automatically brought up. Even you can't deny that.

You wanted to compare the two video game scenarios, I showed you why they're different but according to you, if you're in the game, you're in the game.

There's no difference if you're just the voice in the game and going out promoting it while appearing on the cover of the game.

Think of it like a movie.

Axl did a cameo. His name isn't associated with the movie and his image isn't on the movie posters.

Slash is like the star of the picture, doing press etc.

And you say the situation is the same?

Huh

/jarmo

Situation may be different , but are the motives not the same? Both of them probably assumed it be a cool experience to do and went for it. I really don't see how Slash being in a video game has anything to do with Slash commenting on a Book Signing Tour....
SHould they have asked Bumble to do it instead of Slash?

Actually I was thinking Robin.. But Bumble would be good too!  ok    I don't think either of them would ever do something like that.

hihi Sorry but neither of them have the image and popularity that Slash has , It's an honor for ANY guitarist to be asked to do such a thing like appear in a guitar based video game.....
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 07:31:34 PM by Feel_The_Burn » Logged
leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #439 on: January 17, 2008, 07:31:38 PM »

[Anyone who hasnt read the book should read it. Its a great read and any GNR fan will enjoy it.

Dude, you are impossible!

Anyone who is advocating GN'R fans buy this book, and more importantly believe the bullshit in it, is either not a sincere GN'R fan or has some sort of brain malfunctioning and is therefore unable to THINK.

To the poster that said that all guys in GN'R glorified drugs and alcohol back in the day, I don't know what to say. Obviously, he is unaware of the fact that even back in the 80s Axl started threatening band members that he'd quit if they don't get off the drugs. Axl not only tried to save GN'R this way but he also tried to save his band members' lives. He may have done some hard drugs in the 80s but even then Axl was never a drug addict.

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: