Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:39:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  my night opening for Dizzy
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: my night opening for Dizzy  (Read 23191 times)
teamaxl
Opening Act

« on: January 16, 2008, 10:21:29 PM »

Hey all!  First thing's first, I just wanted to say I've spent a shitload of time on this site the last few days and enjoyed every minute of it.  I've been checkin' out all the current GNR boards as of late and decided to go with this one as I know it's been around a long time now and seemed to fit me best.  Now that I've joined I've got a little story from the other night I figured some of you hardcore gunners would enjoy.  A little background about myself just to put it in proper context.  I'm a 26 year old singer/songwriter/guitarist type based in Chicago and life long Guns fan.  In fact, it was Guns that largely inspired me to pick up a guitar in the first place when GNR and "Appetite" were just beginning to take over the world.  I got my first electric a few years later right around the time UYI came out and the rest as they say is history.

So to get back to the story itself...  Just the other night (January 7th to be exact) I played on a bill with Dizzy who was appearing with Happenin' Harry and The Haptones at Chicago's famed Double Door.  Now, I know to some people he's "just" the keyboard player or whatever (and a damn fine one at that) but I must admit, I was pretty stoked about meeting him, as I would be with any Gunner.  Sure enough Diz was one of the first people I met upon my arrival and promptly introduced himself.  I've met a few big name musicians recently who were big influences on me but having never met anybody in the Guns' sphere before I admit I felt a little nervous.  Of course, Diz was pretty cool about it.  Very gracious, maybe even a little shy actually.  It was an all acoustic show so it was actually held in DD's basement lounge giving the whole thing a pretty casual vibe.  I was the first act of the evening and starting at 8 on the dot there was nary a person in sight during the first part of my set but people started filtering in as it went on.  At one point I did a quick scan of the bar and noticed Diz sitting there watching me.  He ended up watching most of the set and was pretty complimentary.  He may have just been being nice, ya never know, but that was kinda cool.  After I played a few other Chicago based acts played (including my friend Phil Angotti who I had got on the bill) and by the time Harry/Dizzy and co. were set to take the stage the place had filled up pretty well.  I think Harry and maybe some of the other guys were a bit annoyed more people didn't show but that was about all I was expecting for Monday night, and really, most of the people that I knew there were having a good time.

By this point I had a few drinks and was feeling more confident to engage Diz a bit.  I had promised myself I wouldn't bring up anything about Axl or "Chinese Democracy" to him, as I know that can get to be a pain in the arse but I was getting pretty buzzed and I guess I couldn't resist.  All's I really said was how much I was diggin' the new tunes and how successful I thought the album was going to be and Dizzy replied "the album's done dude" and that yes, there's now something going on with the label (didn't quite catch what he said there and didn't want to press him on it).  Now, I know this is apparently old news to you guys, but it was news to me a week and a half ago.  I wasn't planning on really mentioning that at all until I did some googling the next day and learned that info was already going around.  Of course it's continued to spread like wildfire since then, so I guess now it doesn't really matter.  I also asked him about the piano solo in "Estranged" whether it was Axl or he himself who played it on the record (having forgotten all about the individual track credits in the CD's liner notes 'til just the other day) and he said that it was Axl, but of course he always planned to have him do it live.  Now here's the cool part about that.  At that point he starts going into the solo, and though he said it had been so long he wasn't sure if he remembered all of it, he ends up playing through the rest of the song just instrumentally as a soundcheck of sorts.  That was without a doubt the highlight of my night.  It was very cool actually.  Once the other guys started joining him they also did "Patience" as part of this extended "soundcheck".  Once Harry got up there they did "Used To Love Her" (featuring some great piano from Diz) and "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" with everybody singing along and what not.  Like I said, it was all very casual and it was getting kinda late by then so it was almost more of a party atmosphere which was fun.  I ended up getting completely smashed and insisted on helping Diz carry his keyboard after the show.  I'm sure he didn't really want my drunk ass carrying his shit which would have been completely understandable but he was cool about it.  I was pretty out there by then.  Kinda funny, but also a little embarassing in retrospect.  Just glad I didn't drop it!   

All in all, my impression of Diz was that of a pretty cool dude.  Low key in his way, but definitely no dummy.  Scotty Griffin from L.A. Guns was also in the band and he seemed pretty cool to.  Not sure who the other two cats were, they were a little younger.  It was an absolute pleasure meeting Diz and even cooler getting to play a show with him, even if it was just some low key acoustic thang.  I had a blast.  I just wish I hadn't gotten quite so drunk at the end of the night.  We bought Diz a couple shots of jager, but I don't think any of those guys were as out there as I got.  So yeah, that was a lil' embarassing but what are you going to do?  I'm sure they've all been there!  So that's the story in a nutshell or most of the parts worth sharing anyway.  After doing all that lurking I didn't really see any other posts about something quite like this so I figured you guys would appreciate it.  Hopefully you did as I'm definitely planning on sticking around and contributing here, or of course I would have never bothered posting it in the first place.  Anyhow, here's a few pics from the night....

me and my dirty ass guitar

Happenin' Harry and The Haptones

Dizzy "fukin" Reed

a candid shot of me and Scotty Griffin after the show....

from R to L: me, Dizzy, the drummer from The Haptones and my buddy Scott Jackson

Incidentally, my buddy Scott (the guy with the blonde streak) did a lot of the old Rock N' Roll Comics covers, including some of the GNR issues.  You can still find them floating around on ebay and what not. 

Cheers!  Smiley

mrbucketfoot
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 10:31:11 PM »

Dizzy = awesome. Why isn't their some fansite worshipping him?

Thanks for the pics + post.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 10:32:08 PM »

You lucky son of a bitch!  Congratulations!  I'm jealous as hell.  Thanks for sharing man...seriously, congrats.  beer

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Sharky-dude
Headliner

Silence Isn't Golden When I'm Holding It Inside

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 10:33:40 PM »

Yeah, sounds like an awesome, unforgettable night! congrats for sure!

!go Jets go!
leatherebel
VIP

Facts are the enemy of truth.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 10:36:53 PM »

Dizzy = awesome. Why isn't their some fansite worshipping him?

Thanks for the pics + post.

There is....have you been to the catclub?  hihi

Thanks for sharing dude! Estranged getting back to the (soundcheck) set is still awesome  ok

"Asking Axl Rose what he thinks about critics is like asking a lamp post how it feels about dogs."
LawsonsLaw007
Back in the saddle again
VIP

Follow me on Twitter! @SammyBoyDpk

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 10:37:54 PM »

Awsome story dude  dizzy is the man!

Peace

Follow me on Twitter!! @SammyBoyDpk 15,000 followers can't be wrong!
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 10:46:06 PM »

Dizzy is the COOLEST!!  peace

There's a forum or 2 out there Smiley  I know there are....just....hard to find is all lol  hihi

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 11:02:01 PM »

congrats dude  peace

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
judaskennedy
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »

what a crap looking venue,  but congrats on your rise to stardom and meeting dizzy.
teamaxl
Opening Act

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 12:02:12 AM »

Thank you for the warm welcome guys!  Glad y'all enjoyed it! 

And yeah, it's crap lookin' 'cause we were playing in the downstairs lounge they call the Dirt Room (normally the bands play upstairs which is much nicer).  Double Door is actually one of Chicago's top rock clubs but I guess recently they started doing acoustic stuff and DJ sets down there.  I'm not sure why it had to be acoustic but I assume it's a Monday night thing.  I'm pretty sure the rest of Harry and Dizzy's shows here were full on electric but those were all out in the 'burbs and what not.  Smiley

cineater
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 12:05:40 AM »

Great read, thanks.

I wouldn't be too worried about the being more wasted than the rest of them.  Dizzy's been far worse than you could ever have been and we've got the photographic evidence--lol

but the train's got its brakes on
and the whistle is screaming: TERRAPIN
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 12:34:51 AM »

Dizzy replied "the album's done dude" and that yes, there's now something going on with the label (didn't quite catch what he said there and didn't want to press him on it). 

"Hopefully it will express my sentiment..."

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 01:16:47 AM »

That is the funniest picture I have ever seen!
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2008, 03:44:04 AM »

LOVIN the picture...sounds like the other night when I met Buckethead and I was so fucked up I was tellin him how much I LOVED his life with my girl standing next to me...lol.  GREAT STORY though and GREAT NEWS!!!
F*ck Fear
VIP

Getcha Pull!

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 04:20:36 AM »

Great story...Thanks for sharing it. beer

11/29/2002 Toronto Canada
11/15/2006 Toronto Canada
01/24/2010 Hamilton Canada
11/28/2011 Hamilton Canada
07/15/2013 Toronto Canada
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2008, 04:34:37 AM »

fucking awesome! dizwald's da coolest

and also.. Welcome dude  smoking
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 05:19:28 AM by CheapJules » Logged
Olorin
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 05:11:22 AM »

Dizzy is so nice, he doesnt seem to have any ego at all ok, the fact that he let your drunken arse carry his keyboard speaks volumes.

Thanks for sharing, really enjoyed reading it.

gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 05:58:24 AM »

Dizzy replied "the album's done dude" and that yes, there's now something going on with the label (didn't quite catch what he said there and didn't want to press him on it). 

"Hopefully it will express my sentiment..."

Hhhaha, bucketfoot, your the apple of my eye,
ur posts always make me laugh,

by the way, I think in the picture,
everyone of thos children would have a computer in front of em,
if their a guns n roses fan, otherwise they wouldn't exist!

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2008, 07:04:10 AM »

cool story, thanks for posting it and welcome !
I would have loved to hear Diz doing Estranged... i've tried that piano part so many times - but i dont play enough nowadays to make it sound anything decent! Sounds like you had a great time, and Dizzy as always seems to be a great guy.  beer  We should have jager-shot smileys for Dizzy!
November_Rain
Loyal to death
VIP

The bittersweet honey of your eyes...

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 07:27:41 AM »

Cool story dude, thanks for sharing. I also met Dizzy (in 2006) and he was a pretty nice guy Smiley

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Nobody will ever love you the way I do...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: