Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:15:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Could Axl Be A Marketing Genius?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could Axl Be A Marketing Genius?  (Read 28451 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2008, 10:50:20 AM »

like better. yep the new songs are fresh enough for the people who don't come to these fan forums, after all.

IRS is not a top 5 GNR song new or old. That is straight fuckin dillusional.

and you're straight fucking arrogant to think anyone who doesn't share the same music taste with you is straight fucking delusional.

Irs is one of pinnacles of hard rock.  My opinion  and in my opinion the public will be with me later.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2008, 11:00:40 AM »

So you're making assumptions on "the hits" on Chinese Democracy based on unfinished demos of tracks that might not even be considered to be singles (excluding Better which might be/have been a single)?

Do you also play your friends songs like Anything Goes, You're Crazy and Out Ta Get Me to get an opinion on Appetite For Destruction?

How about Shotgun Blues, So Fine, Pretty Tied Up and Get In The Ring to get an opinion on Use Your Illusion II?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2008, 11:54:25 AM »

Do you also play your friends songs like Anything Goes, You're Crazy and Out Ta Get Me to get an opinion on Appetite For Destruction?

How about Shotgun Blues, So Fine, Pretty Tied Up and Get In The Ring to get an opinion on Use Your Illusion II?

too lenient.
why not play unfinished demos or live recordings of those songs to 'do justice' to the albums.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2008, 12:02:05 PM »

too lenient.
why not play unfinished demos or live recordings of those songs to 'do justice' to the albums.

True.

Like the demo of Bad Obsession with just Izzy and a drum machine. Wink

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2008, 12:18:31 PM »

HA, is this even a real topic?

Axl Rose is not a marketing genius. The year IMO was 2006 to release this bitch.

They were touring, hype was at a all time high with some leaks, and they croaked.

i don't really care what excuses Gn'R has. It's been too long for something that will be awesome to have, but NOT worth the wait.

Plain.. simple... easy. He's not a marketing genius.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
greendog
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2008, 01:36:47 PM »

Ive only read the first page of this thread, so if im repeating what someone else has said, then sorry.

But:
Get my facts right? hey i've been reading this site since you were an inch in your daddys pants, i got this article from a heavy metal website, so before you throw your toys from the pram, think to yourself i know shit.
WTF? You should have known this was infact, shit, and therefor should have known not to add it to a forum filled with more bullshit threads. Spend time contributing to the decent ones. Smiley
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2008, 02:57:56 PM »

So you're making assumptions on "the hits" on Chinese Democracy based on unfinished demos of tracks that might not even be considered to be singles (excluding Better which might be/have been a single)?

/jarmo

Jarmo, as for playing the non-single AFD songs, I don't have to because everyone has heard them allready and everyone loves them. Nearly anyone born in the mid to late 70's know every lyric on that album. Light up a jukebox with any song in any bar in America and people in that bar 30 and above will be mouthing the lyrics, guarenteed. Any song on that album is single worthy, that's why the album is timeless.

3 out of 4 of those illusion songs you named are disgraceful... we don't need more GN'R if it's gonna sound like that bile. Illusions are not timeless, 50% of the material wasn't CD worthy, that's just my opinion. However, AFD is still charting, illusions aren't.

Most if not all of the new demo's are not on par with AFD demos. They are consistent with illusion demos in my opinion, that's not a horrible thing but it isn't great.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 03:03:46 PM by Oh My Choking Soul » Logged

seely
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2008, 03:07:35 PM »

Of all the leaks I have played to my friends, which include both heavy Slash-fans and average listeners, only The Blues has got praises. Catcher in the rye came close, but none of the other songs have gotten any notice.

I hope that possible first single is a You could be mine-type rocker, that's what gets attention.

Didn't they even like the song 'Chinese Democray'? That's quite a typical Gn'R rocker that sounded like the old era of the band could have written.

(\__/)
(O.o )
( > < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this attached message into your signature to help him on his quest for world domination.

----------------------------------------------------
Jim
I was cured, all right.
Legend

Singin' tu-lur-a-lei-oh...

« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2008, 03:21:02 PM »

Oi!, I love Pretty Tied Up!

worst signature.

officially.

not chris misfit.
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2008, 03:42:59 PM »

/jarmo

Jarmo, as for playing the non-single AFD songs, I don't have to because everyone has heard them allready and everyone loves them. Nearly anyone born in the mid to late 70's know every lyric on that album. Light up a jukebox with any song in any bar in America and people in that bar 30 and above will be mouthing the lyrics, guarenteed. Any song on that album is single worthy, that's why the album is timeless.

3 out of 4 of those illusion songs you named are disgraceful... we don't need more GN'R if it's gonna sound like that bile. Illusions are not timeless, 50% of the material wasn't CD worthy, that's just my opinion. However, AFD is still charting, illusions aren't.

Most if not all of the new demo's are not on par with AFD demos. They are consistent with illusion demos in my opinion, that's not a horrible thing but it isn't great.
For me the Illusions are timeless, I say this because I still listen to them and they still sound great. Very dynamic and warm sound on these albums. Something you don't get with new bands.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2008, 06:24:55 PM »

Out Ta Get me is a great GNR song

Yeah they are demos but IRS needs some kind of riff immediately

So lets hope they put something in

Problem I have with some of the leaks is

It sounds like a bunch of different song ideas copy and pasted together via pro Tools sometimes. It doesnt sound like some of the songs were written from beginning to end.

It sounds like various jam sessions copy and pasted together with some lyrics on top.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2008, 06:48:44 PM »

wow the subject has changed a bit..

It sounds like a bunch of different song ideas copy and pasted together via pro Tools sometimes. It doesnt sound like some of the songs were written from beginning to end.

It sounds like various jam sessions copy and pasted together with some lyrics on top.

D, IRS have a riff  ok  it's maybe not as "clear" or significant as the better riffs and the CD riff, but there's a riff.. how can a musician like you not recognize it?  Wink

the finished products will sound a bit (a lot) different, just by listening to early 06 bootlegs and then bootlegs from the last summer you can hear a lot of new stuff, there is a bit more synth and piano amd different drumming in IRS, BBF's solo in it has just gotten better and better, and in better there's a really cool guitar"drive" in the breakdown that wasn't there before and during the "na na na" part there's also a new guitar thingie that follows the "na's" ( hihi) i'm guessing that's what BBF and frank added during their recording sessions and will be on the record

I'm not feeling that "various jam sessions copy and pasted together with some lyrics on top." at all

whithout overrating the songs i've heard as of yet i can honestly say that i believe this will IMO be the best record ever made.
lakersaregreat
Ever get the feeling you've seen me here before?
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2008, 06:56:16 PM »

/jarmo

PTU is the second best song on II....and the izzy bad obsession demo is ace...............

Drink n' drive white lightning, faster baby...
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2008, 10:09:47 PM »

The only song that is possible of fitting that description Is Better,
It seems like Axl, in that song, just wanted to try and force a vocal and musical rhytm.

For instance :

The hardest part, this troubled heart has never yet been through now,
To heal the scars that got their start inside someone like you now,
But had I known or I'd been shown back when I longed you'd take me,
To break the charge that brought me home...
that, all but would erase me

So bittersweet, this tragedy wont ask for absolution,
This melody inside of me, still searches for solution,
A twist of fate, the change of heart kills my infatuation,
A broken heart provides the spark for my determination.

And the Pitman Breakdown in the middle of the song,
Imo , Totally stuffs the flow and rythem of the whole song,
its too out of place and doesnt flow with the rest of the song, and I kind of cringe when I listen to it on the leaks,
but once again, seeing it LIVE does it justice...

but overall Better is a kick ass song, although the flow is usually interupted just when you really start getting into it,

and I dont really know how people can make fair judgements on here based on the few leaks we have,
on regards to if Chinese Democracy will succeed or fail.

You have no reall basis,
use your logic,

1. Theirs at least 7 unheard songs probably, such as prostitute/this I love/ Thyme/seven
that we havent heard yet, and they are probably as good OR BETTER then the leaks we have... considering how all the people that have heard them
such as Moby and the likes, all said how great and electric "fire and ice" the songs are:

2. The songs we have are leaks,
not final versions, Axl layed some more vocals last year which was probably after the leaks that we have, so the songs could have more aggression and
edgyness to em, I admit at the moment, the songs sound boring cause they dont really have that raw Hard hitting edge that only Axls clear and masterd vocals can produce...

Im not saying Chinese democracy will succeed, and Im not saying its going to bomb,

all I am saying is that no one should say one way or another, untill it comes out, cause anything you do base it on,
isnt logic, its just utter bullshit  beer

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2008, 10:17:57 PM »

IRS does not have a riff

It has a chord progression but not really a memorable good riff at all.

Axl's rhyme on better is a different rhyme scheme. The last word is the same but the words throughout each line rhyme so its ok.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2008, 12:03:42 AM »

I like the riff in IRS, it's black sabbath meets body count (there goes the neighborhood) and it's not used through out the song, which I like.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
teamaxl
Opening Act

« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2008, 12:17:10 AM »

To my ears "Better" and "IRS" are the two most obvious candidates for first single of the material we've heard so far.  I liked "IRS" right away.  It's a relatively simple song but it's catchy as hell and it works (in my opinion).  "Better" was almost a lot to take in on first listen but after awhile I fell in love with the song and also started seeing it's commercial potential.  I think what both of those tracks have in common is a good dose of old school GNR snarl but done in a way that is firmly influenced by the twenty first century.  Same with "T.W.A.T".  I understand those modern production flourishes may not be for everybody, but I could definitely see these songs getting a lot of airplay on modern rock radio.  Shit, they already kinda have!  "The Blues" would make a really good second or third single as it's the most old school (as in "Illusion" era) GNR sounding and also seems to be the most popular of the leaks outside the hardcore GNR community.  Point being, I think any one of these songs could go a long way in winning over people on the fence, as well as some of the non-believers.  The quality and the commercial potential are there.

And I apologize in advance for another lengthy post, but I just wanted to say on the subject of UYI that I never saw the handful of album tracks that some deride as "filler" as taking away from the overall quality of the album.  There's definitely a handful of tracks on the "White Album" and "Exile On Main Street" that would never be considered hit single material or even standout tracks, but they do work in the context of the album, helping to make the finished piece what it is.  And I've always kinda looked at UYI the same way.  Not to mention some of those lesser known tracks are of pretty high quality, but that's another story.  Smiley

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2008, 12:22:58 AM »

The first time I heard the leaks, I was in love with 'IRS' immediately. The more I listened to them 'CD' grew on me and is my favorite now, but IRS was still great and will be for me.

Order for me would be: CD, IRS, Blues, Better, Maddy, and CITR.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2008, 02:37:11 AM »

The first time I heard the leaks, I was in love with 'IRS' immediately. The more I listened to them 'CD' grew on me and is my favorite now, but IRS was still great and will be for me.

Order for me would be: CD, IRS, Blues, Better, Maddy, and CITR.

all the leaks have become painfully average to me.  I'd say TWAT is the one I'd want to hear the most followed by IRS.  I think all of them sound leaps and bounds better when heard live.

I hope CD is packing more than we've heard in the leaks though  Undecided

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2008, 04:01:18 AM »

You havent answered my question,
when you talk about the "songs sounding like they have been copied and pasted together"
which songs exactly are you talking about?

I dont understand,
the blues, twat, chinese democracy, irs, catcher, better (apart from the breakdown) dont even sound like that what so ever,
Your post doesnt make sense

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: