Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:44:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Could Axl Be A Marketing Genius?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could Axl Be A Marketing Genius?  (Read 28687 times)
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2008, 01:39:56 PM »

I sure am glad D isn't on Axl's marketing team.

That is the best way to lose money.  No one is going to pony up 50 dollars for a huge boxset.

It's going to kill downloads, because no one will buy it and it won't go on the net!  hihi

Since when is 50 bucks a lot of money?

Since people aren't even willing to pay 15 bucks for a CD these days.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2008, 01:53:00 PM »

That is the best way to lose money.  No one is going to pony up 50 dollars for a huge boxset.

It's going to kill downloads, because no one will buy it and it won't go on the net!  hihi

Allegedly six out of ten Radiohead fans paid nothing for their latest album......

And the rest only a few dollars.

But I guess the real fans all got the boxset too.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2008, 01:58:48 PM »

Allegedly six out of ten Radiohead fans paid nothing for their latest album......

/jarmo

Radiohead made more money on this CD that the previous 3, however it is a much better album so it's not such a fair comparison. Thom York of Radiohead is definately a genius, "All I Need" from the new album is evidence of that.

Now, regarding the original post question: Could Axl Be A Marketing Genius?

He could, but whomever is handling CD right now isn't in my opinion. Any genius would have released CD 10 years ago when it would have been truely groundbreaking. Of course, it wasn't that simple. These days the number one comment I get from casual GN'R fans and non-fans when I play it for them, and there have been many, is that it sounds cheesy and dated. I have had no less than 20 people say that, nobody says "Wow that will blow peoples minds!" Sadly, I agree with them with the exception of a couple of songs. Thus, I hope alot has been changed from the demos, cause every song has amazing potential in the right producer's hands.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 02:05:01 PM by Oh My Choking Soul » Logged

Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2008, 02:16:38 PM »

15 dollars for one cd

or 50 for multiple cds, dvd, tshirt, extras

50 bucks would be worth all that.

Have like the chili Peppers did for stadium Arcadium and have a DVD where the bandmembers sit around and discuss each song and how they wrote it etc.

You aren't thinking the big picture , sure all hard core fans , most any one on this site will shell out 50 even 100 bucks for that special stuff , but to a casual fan and or unknowning fan they just want the CD and they don;t want to pay very much for it sadly.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2008, 03:24:46 PM »

If you believe that more people care or even more interested in this album NOW as opposed to 1.5 years ago, then I guess you could be on to something calling him a marketing genius, as if all of this were somehow planned , or mapped out.

Right around the time of the leaks and the Hammerstein shows was the time to do it, if it were actually possible.  Doing what he has done , and making the decisions he has made since those Hammerstein shows or even since that successful tour outside of the USA, has done absolutely NOTHING to make this album any more anticipated and may actually have dampered the mood and dedication of some of his more devoted fans , in my opinion.
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2008, 04:18:32 PM »

Maybe it's not about marketing, but putting out enough songs in one day so you can go on a headlining tour with enough material is quite clever....

/jarmo

Most bands go on a headlining tour after their second album.

Even if Use Your Illusion was one album, I'm sure they would have had enough material to go on a headlining tour.

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2008, 04:29:12 PM »

Maybe it's not about marketing, but putting out enough songs in one day so you can go on a headlining tour with enough material is quite clever....

/jarmo

Even if Use Your Illusion was one album, I'm sure they would have had enough material to go on a headlining tour.

Skid Row was really big at the time and they were opening for GNR in support of their second album...
elmir
VIP

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2008, 04:35:02 PM »

were they still able to download/buy it?

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2008, 04:41:48 PM »

/jarmo

Skid Row was really big at the time and they were opening for GNR in support of their second album...

Yeah, and did they ever go on a headlining tour?

Not that I'm aware of.

They were probably still opening for other bands in support of their third album..

were they still able to download/buy it?

Yeah, for the downloadable version, fans were allowed to pay as little or as much as they wanted, while the physical album costs the exact same as any new release.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 04:46:04 PM by Stoned » Logged

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2008, 04:49:35 PM »

/jarmo

Yeah, and did they ever go on a headlining tour?

Not that I'm aware of.

They were probably still opening for other bands in support of their third album..

Yeah, Soundgarden opened for them...  In 92 they headlined in support of Slave to the Grind - indeed!
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2008, 05:00:54 PM »

Maybe it's the warm crack pipe that I just smoked or maybe this thread makes absolutely no sense.

Since when did we go from talking about Axl's marketing genius to headlining tours, etc? Regardless, only hardcore
fans buy box-sets. Most people don't even buy the band's albums, they buy the greatest hits. One of my friends supposedly "loves"
Guns N' Roses, but he doesn't own either of the Illusion albums. He doesn't know the songs "Estranged" or "Rocket Queen".

Go figure.
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2008, 05:07:16 PM »

Maybe it's the warm crack pipe that I just smoked or maybe this thread makes absolutely no sense.

Since when did we go from talking about Axl's marketing genius to headlining tours, etc?

This thread hasn't made any sense since the very first post . . .  This thread should be taken out and shot.  drool
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2008, 06:09:11 PM »

/jarmo

True, but most bands didn't have an album out like AFD.....

But they had the option of playing a full set with only new songs if they felt like it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2008, 06:55:45 PM »

To compare GNR with other bands releasing a 2nd album is just ridiculous.

Did someone actually mention Skid Row in the same breath as GNR?

Skid Row were never a fraction as popular as GNR.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #74 on: January 18, 2008, 07:10:09 PM »

To compare GNR with other bands releasing a 2nd album is just ridiculous.

Did someone actually mention Skid Row in the same breath as GNR?

Skid Row were never a fraction as popular as GNR.

No? 

That's a bold statement.

Again.
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2008, 07:18:25 PM »

/jarmo

Radiohead made more money on this CD that the previous 3, however it is a much better album so it's not such a fair comparison. Thom York of Radiohead is definately a genius, "All I Need" from the new album is evidence of that.

Now, regarding the original post question: Could Axl Be A Marketing Genius?

He could, but whomever is handling CD right now isn't in my opinion. Any genius would have released CD 10 years ago when it would have been truely groundbreaking. Of course, it wasn't that simple. These days the number one comment I get from casual GN'R fans and non-fans when I play it for them, and there have been many, is that it sounds cheesy and dated. I have had no less than 20 people say that, nobody says "Wow that will blow peoples minds!" Sadly, I agree with them with the exception of a couple of songs. Thus, I hope alot has been changed from the demos, cause every song has amazing potential in the right producer's hands.

Every song we've heard with the exception of Better was written sometime between 1997 and 2000 so I guess if people think it's dated, that may be why.  Although I don't really understand the notion that it's "dated".  Rock music period is dated, you're not going to do anything within the genre that hasn't been done before.  Most of the songs just sound like UYI era GnR with more electronic elements.  Songs like The Blues, TWAT (latest leak), Madagascar, IRS, Catcher, if you heard them not knowing anything about GnR wouldn't sound out of place in the 70's, 80's, or 90's besides maybe some small elements.  The only song that would blatantly sound out of place in earlier genres of rock would be Better and I suppose Chinese D, though that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  But it definitely has a very modern sound while the rest of it is pretty timeless.  Though Better was the only song we've heard that was written from 2001 forward so nobody outside the camp even knows what the songs written 2001-2007 sound like, the stuff written after Richard and Buckethead were both in the band has been unheard aside from Better.  Guess what I'm saying is that the songs people think are dated are  actually 8-10 years old so in that sense they're right but then again I'm not sure what people expect, there's nothing new under the sun especially in the rock genre
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 07:21:21 PM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2008, 07:30:10 PM »

Ive played the new songs for a lot of people....................... no song blew anyone of them away. nervous

That doesn't mean a lot but they are casual GNR fans, people who can't name the members etc probably have no clue there is even a new band etc.

Axl could be a marketing genius.

I have a feeling for CD to be successful, he is gonna have to be.

He definitely has the makings of one, the Trilogy videos were definitely great marketing.

ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2008, 07:45:28 PM »

Ive played the new songs for a lot of people....................... no song blew anyone of them away. nervous

That doesn't mean a lot but they are casual GNR fans, people who can't name the members etc probably have no clue there is even a new band etc.

He definitely has the makings of one, the Trilogy videos were definitely great marketing.

Well to be honest how much stuff do you play that "blows people away"?  It's one of the most, ahem, overblown statements out there.  I mean most people who are rock fans have heard so many great and classic albums they're not going to be "blown away" by something in 2008 no matter how good it is.  Everyone I have played it for has given some form of positive feedback but aren't blown away, nor are the same people blown away by songs like Locomotive, Coma or Estranged.  Only the hardcore GnR fans are the ones who recognize the greatness of those songs, the casual rock fan or casual GnR fan would prefer to listen to one of the big hits than any of those.  Most casual fans aren't going to go crazy about it, until there's a hit on the radio.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #78 on: January 18, 2008, 07:50:45 PM »

Well to be honest how much stuff do you play that "blows people away"?  It's one of the most, ahem, overblown statements out there.  I mean most people who are rock fans have heard so many great and classic albums they're not going to be "blown away" by something in 2008 no matter how good it is.  Everyone I have played it for has given some form of positive feedback but aren't blown away, nor are the same people blown away by songs like Locomotive, Coma or Estranged.  Only the hardcore GnR fans are the ones who recognize the greatness of those songs, the casual rock fan or casual GnR fan would prefer to listen to one of the big hits than any of those.  Most casual fans aren't going to go crazy about it, until there's a hit on the radio.

Sorry dude, but that sounds like a cop out.

gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #79 on: January 18, 2008, 07:52:14 PM »

In todays style of music,
probably very very very few songs that we have , from the leaks, would really blow any of the general public away...

Look at shit bands/"musicians " Mika, rihanna, britney , fall out boy etc
they make absolutely shit music, but it apeals to the public cause of the songs "hooks"

Thats where some of the gnr leaks fail, is they dont have strong enough hooks in my opinion, but the music and lyrics are better,

Gnr dont make pop songs, so they dont appeal to the vast majority of the market

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: