Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:36:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Could Axl Be A Marketing Genius?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Could Axl Be A Marketing Genius?  (Read 28447 times)
[mango]
Rocker

Chris Pitman = GNR

« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2008, 05:15:58 AM »

Who said in 1987 that they wanted the next album to be a double?

Clearly somebody was already thinking ahead four years before that album came out.

/jarmo

I think that's the same guy who then in 2006 claimed that "the only way to even survive as a band was to do this double thing..."

M.

18.9.2010 @ Stadthalle, Vienna, Austria - I was almost there
24.9.2010 @ Arena, Zagreb, Croatia - I was there
17.7.2012 @ Spaladium Arena, Split, Croatia - I was there too
Jaakko
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2008, 05:25:23 AM »

Of all the leaks I have played to my friends, which include both heavy Slash-fans and average listeners, only The Blues has got praises. Catcher in the rye came close, but none of the other songs have gotten any notice.

I hope that possible first single is a You could be mine-type rocker, that's what gets attention.

Didn't they even like the song 'Chinese Democray'? That's quite a typical Gn'R rocker that sounded like the old era of the band could have written.

Well, no one said "I don't like this !", but they just said it's boring, no hooks. The Blues has gotten cheers from everyone, there has been no doubt or questions, just aplodes  Cheesy
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2008, 10:20:56 AM »

Better has blown away several folks I know personally...especially folks who don't really know or listen to GNR. 
A friend of my bro-in-law who's a big Stones fan loves There Was a Time over all others, but was amazed Axl hasn't released the album because all the songs are good.  (I didn't sample Silkworms or OMG)  Madagascar, Boston '02 surprised him because he didn't realize at first that it was un-edited live.  People don't realize how much range Axl's got.

Marketing genius?  Honestly, I think the long wait has nothing to do with marketing and all to do with fucked-up circumstances.  Sad

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2008, 06:34:55 PM »

He's going to have to do a ton of interviews and obviously the music will have to be good, esp the first single-Axl will have an interesting story to tell, so he will get a lot of attention-whether that translates into album sales is another thing-I like the new band but some of the people I work with, my friends, the new album is going to be a tough sell-a hit song can change that

libertad
Jaakko
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2008, 02:42:14 AM »

I'm willing to think too that a powerful first single is more important than clever advertising. Axl's interviews might take second place...
Lostrose
Rocker

This here is my hetero-lifemate, Silent Bob.

« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2008, 03:59:04 AM »

So you're making assumptions on "the hits" on Chinese Democracy based on unfinished demos of tracks that might not even be considered to be singles (excluding Better which might be/have been a single)?

Do you also play your friends songs like Anything Goes, You're Crazy and Out Ta Get Me to get an opinion on Appetite For Destruction?

How about Shotgun Blues, So Fine, Pretty Tied Up and Get In The Ring to get an opinion on Use Your Illusion II?

/jarmo

3 out of 4 of those illusion songs you named are disgraceful... we don't need more GN'R if it's gonna sound like that bile. Illusions are not timeless, 50% of the material wasn't CD worthy, that's just my opinion. However, AFD is still charting, illusions aren't.

Most if not all of the new demo's are not on par with AFD demos. They are consistent with illusion demos in my opinion, that's not a horrible thing but it isn't great.

How does this fuck-tard have 4 stars?  He's not even a GnR fan...
"Illusions are not timeless, 50% of the material wasn't CD worthy"
What a cockless fuckmuppet.

I guess, I guess, I guess I never fuckin' learn...
Tatiana Kudrin
Soak The Sin
Rocker

« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2008, 07:12:06 AM »

^fyi, man, the number of stars is based on the post count.  ok

gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2008, 07:42:03 AM »

Quick show of hands,
dos anyone here see chinese democracy coming out this year?

i.e does anyone think it will ,I just wanna see what the whole morale is in here..

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2008, 07:58:33 AM »

COULD he be? Sure. IS he? No.

I would'nt do that if I were you.
Tatiana Kudrin
Soak The Sin
Rocker

« Reply #129 on: January 21, 2008, 08:09:36 AM »

Honestly...not really.  Undecided However, way back in 2006 I didn't expect much either... then I heard the band would go on tour and I was lucky enough to attend a couple of shows.
I  don't spend my time wondering when/if it will be released anymore. I believe it will be released but I'm tired of speculating on hypothetical release dates...  I trust the band. When the time will come, we'll know.  ok

On topic : Axl  is a reluctant 'marketing genius'  Tongue
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 09:27:07 AM by Lori » Logged

Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #130 on: January 21, 2008, 08:54:50 AM »

So you're making assumptions on "the hits" on Chinese Democracy based on unfinished demos of tracks that might not even be considered to be singles (excluding Better which might be/have been a single)?

Do you also play your friends songs like Anything Goes, You're Crazy and Out Ta Get Me to get an opinion on Appetite For Destruction?

How about Shotgun Blues, So Fine, Pretty Tied Up and Get In The Ring to get an opinion on Use Your Illusion II?

/jarmo

3 out of 4 of those illusion songs you named are disgraceful... we don't need more GN'R if it's gonna sound like that bile. Illusions are not timeless, 50% of the material wasn't CD worthy, that's just my opinion. However, AFD is still charting, illusions aren't.

Most if not all of the new demo's are not on par with AFD demos. They are consistent with illusion demos in my opinion, that's not a horrible thing but it isn't great.

Haha, I'm not a GN'R fan? Why because I listen to thier music objectively? Listen bub, I've been listening to GN'R since '88 and I was 14 then.

As for the name calling, I know you wouldn't say any of that shit to my face without waking up in a hospital. I've been doing MMA for about 6 years. The internet is a like a girl and you are hiding behind her. Eitherway, you opinion is you opinion and it doesn't mean shit to me.

All I want from GN'R is a strong album, the tracks Jarmo listed, IMO are not good songs. I liked TSI better than the Illusions, again that's my opinion. If that angers you, then enjoy the high blood pressure and type your cowardly bullshit about me on this forum.

What I find really funny is that you are jealous of my stars, LOL! On a forum no less. I guess you haven't got much going on in real life.

FYI, not that anyone cares, but when I said the new demos were on par with the illusion demos, I mean on par with the 50% that were CD worthy. The exception being The Blues, I think that song is reflective of Axl's best work. If the Illusions were one CD, with the singles and a selection of the really good stuff, like Locomotive, I think they would still be charting today.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 09:02:16 AM by Oh My Choking Soul » Logged

Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2008, 09:55:35 AM »

/jarmo

Haha, I'm not a GN'R fan? Why because I listen to thier music objectively? Listen bub, I've been listening to GN'R since '88 and I was 14 then.

As for the name calling, I know you wouldn't say any of that shit to my face without waking up in a hospital. I've been doing MMA for about 6 years. The internet is a like a girl and you are hiding behind her. Eitherway, you opinion is you opinion and it doesn't mean shit to me.

All I want from GN'R is a strong album, the tracks Jarmo listed, IMO are not good songs. I liked TSI better than the Illusions, again that's my opinion. If that angers you, then enjoy the high blood pressure and type your cowardly bullshit about me on this forum.

What I find really funny is that you are jealous of my stars, LOL! On a forum no less. I guess you haven't got much going on in real life.

FYI, not that anyone cares, but when I said the new demos were on par with the illusion demos, I mean on par with the 50% that were CD worthy. The exception being The Blues, I think that song is reflective of Axl's best work. If the Illusions were one CD, with the singles and a selection of the really good stuff, like Locomotive, I think they would still be charting today.

The illusion albums could easly have been halved. Many believe that. My problem with doing that would be that i like a lot of the longer songs. The 3/4 longest, probably.

I would'nt do that if I were you.
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2008, 12:06:17 PM »

Quick show of hands,

i.e does anyone think it will ,I just wanna see what the whole morale is in here..

No. It's all just a big conspiracy.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2008, 02:01:34 PM »

Quick show of hands,

No . . .  Maybe some lawsuits related to it, but no CD.
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »

i wouldn't worry about the shitty state of the record industry... there are new methods to distribute music and axl should take advantage of them.  for starters he should do anything he can to a new song on the new guitar hero.  this is a great way to advertise... then make the song available on itunes as a single with a couple of bsides..   and then release the album just before the a tour.  clearly the internet and itunes is the most popular way too distribute music.  i only buy cds that i want to collect.. most bands that i'm a casual fan of i just buy off itunes.   i think the album will sell well anyways.. but i think this method would promote it more as a "new" album.. and not just some new release from an old band
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2008, 02:13:01 AM »

As much as I love, respect, and admire Axl I'm gonna have to say no.

A decade-in-the-making album still with no definite sign of life, a comeback (that failed), & two tours without an album in 17 years do not a marketing genius make.

Janabis
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2008, 02:58:58 AM »

Quick show of hands,

I don't think it will come out this year or next year, and I doubt we will see or hear Axl at all in 2008.
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2008, 04:16:06 AM »

Quick show of hands,

I don't think it will come out this year or next year, and I doubt we will see or hear Axl at all in 2008.

Thats optimizism for you!  beer

I just hope we hear from Axl in the next few months, or I think it would be safe to say theirs probably no big "news" coming out this year

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2008, 09:37:59 AM »

As much as I love, respect, and admire Axl I'm gonna have to say no.

A decade-in-the-making album still with no definite sign of life, a comeback (that failed), & two tours without an album in 17 years do not a marketing genius make.

Oh but it does, you listed the points, everybody knows of the Legend that IS Chinese Democracy, all he needs now is to release the thing and the jobs a good 'en.

Withj the Olympic games being in China, the release will be about a month before hand, TV stations all over the world will then use CD - The song as to help promote Their (the TV stations) coverage. Anybody remember Italia 90 for the football (Real football, not the Rugby for softies Wink) , Nesan dorma was used world wide.... Sold millions as a result.

Just adding a comment to the release, the intro (as leaked) would be a fantastic backdrop to olympic news then the minute mark launch into the song would provide loads of opportunities to show action sequences, anybody agree...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 09:42:58 AM by wight gunner » Logged

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2008, 09:46:54 AM »

Withj the Olympic games being in China, the release will be about a month before hand, TV stations all over the world will then use CD - The song as to help promote Their (the TV stations) coverage.

Or even a few months beforehand. Me too think the release better precede 08/08/08.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: