Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 12:33:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If CD was a digital download?
Poll
Question: If Chinese Democracy was offered as a digital download, how much would you pay for it?
< $1 (?0.50, 1?) - 18 (11.5%)
$1-5 (?0.50-2.50, 1-3.50?) - 8 (5.1%)
$6-10 (?3-5, 4-7?) - 22 (14.1%)
$11-15 (?5.60-7.70, 8-10?) - 34 (21.8%)
$16-20 (?8-10, 11-14?) - 17 (10.9%)
> $20 (?10, 14?) - 57 (36.5%)
Total Voters: 145

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If CD was a digital download?  (Read 27267 times)
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2008, 09:21:16 AM »

As far as i understand it, radiohead were actually label and contract-less when they did the download thing, then put out the other versions through EMI, so, no offence, but im takin that with a pinch of salt for now.

I would'nt do that if I were you.
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2008, 10:29:26 AM »

Here's an interesting idea from Anti.  Release the album first as a digital downland and charge $3.  Tell everyone that a physical CD will not be released until there are at least 2 million downloads of the album.  On the same line, you could release 10 songs in the digital form...then add maybe another 3 for the physical CD.

http://www.antimusic.com/news/08/jan/25Out_of_Patience,_Give_Us_Chinese_Democracy!_.shtml

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2008, 10:55:44 AM »

regarding the post a few posts above about not releasing stuff without permission of whoever owns the band name - my understanding is that teh label can release whatever it has, if they want to use it to fulfill the bands contract. I.e., if a band owes 3 albums but leaves before the 3rd, the label have the right to release whatever they like i think, in order to get their 3 albums. If any other company tried to release work by a band without their permission, i'd agree, it would be illegal , as far as i can tell.

I would'nt do that if I were you.
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2008, 01:17:52 PM »

Right now I'd pay >20$ for CD. But I'd rather have the physical product, CD isn't just about the music for me now its so much more than that!

Here today...ready to rock
makane
Legend

« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2008, 01:38:54 PM »

Having 10 songs for 10€ in digital format, and having 13 songs in physical for 20€ is a fucking hack. Whether you buy the digital or the physical, you should have the exact same content.

The poll should be about how much it should COST(keeping in mind how much avarage music consumer would pay for it), rather than how much you would PAY for it, 'cause all people here are fucking mental about GN'R. (imo)

I think it should cost something between 6-10$.

YagetoutonyourownAndyoutakeallthatyouownAndyouforgetaboutyourhomeAndthenyou'rejustfuckin'gone!
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2008, 12:02:53 PM »

Having 10 songs for 10? in digital format, and having 13 songs in physical for 20? is a fucking hack. Whether you buy the digital or the physical, you should have the exact same content.

The trend seems to be to have "iTunes exclusives" and stuff like that.

So it's the other way around.... More tracks when you get the digital album.

Or at least different bonus tracks than you'd get on the cd.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Giant_Robot
Rocker

I am not your standard Chicken Dinner

« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2008, 12:34:11 PM »

I voted for $6-10 (?3-5, 4-7
I believe that every download such be under 5 pounds because its not a phyiscal product and also people are more willing to download it instead of being a rip off of 7.99 or more !

Thanks Giant Robot...
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2008, 02:20:11 PM »

I hate this fucking trend of putting everything out via iTunes. I wouldn't pay anything to get some .mp3's, I want to buy the real thing and hold it in my hands.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2008, 03:46:15 PM »

I hate this fucking trend of putting everything out via iTunes. I wouldn't pay anything to get some .mp3's, I want to buy the real thing and hold it in my hands.

I'd rather have a hard disc copy too, but not everyone feels that way. I mean think about it, you buy the CD and get the special feeling. You look at the liner notes. Then what?

Some people frame the liner notes. But the CD? It either sits and collects dust in the case or in your CD Holder.

I mean don't you rip the MP3s? Most people don't even use CDs for their car anymore, they hook up their iPod via an auxilary port. Most of my home theatre system is powered by computer.

Sure there is something about the tangible, opening the case, smelling the new print smell, and inserting the disc. It's dramatic and heightens the excitement. It's the musical foreplay.

But fact is, the industry is changing. GNR needs to adapt and make the right business choices. But when it comes down to hearing new music or not, I'll take new music everytime.
wadey
Legend

« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2008, 04:12:28 PM »

same here, i wouldnt pay anything for a download either, i would find it free somewhere and take it from there. i would however pay good cash for the real thing. although many people wont admit it on here but i rekon they would do the same, if they had a choice of paying for the download or taking the freebie i know which they would choose. I am aware that the industry is changing and things are moving more towards digital but i dont think its the right time for GN'R to try it out..... I WANNA SEE SKY NEWS OR CNN SHOWING MILES AND MILES OF DIE HARD FANS QUEING UP TO BUY THE FUCKER, then all the fucking haters can smell the fucking success! you wont get that with a download......remember the illusions!!

wembley-91'  leeds-02'  donington-06'  sheffield-06'  leeds-10'  manchester-10'  manchester-12' - donington 18' -and i finally met Axl !
ben9785
« Reply #110 on: February 03, 2008, 05:03:09 PM »

While iTunes/Digital downloads is the current trend, I do think that they do need to release the CD in a 'physical' format at some point.

Like Jarmo said, since the emphasis is with 'iTunes Exclusives' or other special downloads when you buy the album online, likewise they should make the cd release a 'collectors item'.
Even if there aren't any bonus/differing tracks on the cd edition, there are many things they can add to the cd release, such as extensive liner notes, lyrics, photos, and maybe even an extra cd with a behind the scenes/documentary feature on it.

That's the kind of extras that casual fans of the band won't necessarily be too interested in hence they won't feel 'ripped off' at seeing so many different versions of the album for sale, but at the same time, it would be appreciated by serious fans like us, who like the idea of having a physical/cd version of the album, and any extras on top of that even better, if that makes sense..

sandman
Legend

« Reply #111 on: February 03, 2008, 05:35:08 PM »

However, in a hypothetical world, why would you pay more than you need to?

Because you think it's worth more and the product is something you value at more than $1?

I mean, if you're prepared to pay $10 for an album through iTunes, why would you pay only $1 for another album? Especially one that you "waited" for and one you look forward to.

I understand that most of us wouldn't pay a lot for some album by a totally unknown artist.

But this scenario involves GN'R.

I guess people expect albums to be free these days.

I think there's something weird in the thinking when you think a GN'R album is worth $1, but you'd be happy to spend way more on one beer.  hihi

/jarmo

i'm not sure how much i would pay. this whole scenario is new to me and i haven't given it much thought. so i'm sorta just paying devil's advocate here. but these are fair questions to ask...

- where is the money going?
- can we expect more gnr albums in the near future?
- does the financial success of the album impact whether or not more albums are released?
- or are the proceeds simply going to line the pockets of millionaires?

so my point is, you are incorrect in assuming that people expect albums to be free. the fact is, people search for the best deal available. and i don't think there is anything wrong with that. it quite normal actually.

i think alot of people that would pay the cheapest price, would probably pay $100 for it tomorrow if it hit the stores at that price.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Eclipsed107
VIP

Fucked over in Philly - 12/06/02

« Reply #112 on: February 03, 2008, 05:45:32 PM »

I wouldn't pay anything without a hard copy and package.

I never download music, have over 400 cds, and another 100 vinyls, so if CD was ONLY available through digital download, I'd just do it for free via limewire.

If Axl wants to put out a hard copy, I'll buy every version available (cd/deluxe/vinyl/etc.), but I won't pay for digital download when I don't have to.

If I said you had a beautiful body, would you take your pants off and dance around a little?
Ulises
I dream of Diego
Legend

« Reply #113 on: February 03, 2008, 08:10:06 PM »

I smell a "Hey Jarmo, ask the people what thinks" topic from GN'R people... hihi

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2008, 08:22:55 PM »

I smell a "Hey Jarmo, ask the people what thinks" topic from GN'R people... hihi

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=50551.msg1036320#msg1036320

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2008, 12:17:18 AM »

Maybe I'm oldschool, but I prefer having the disk in my hands. I hate digital download. Perhaps they can do both with the Chinese Democracy cd coming with some bonus features.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
McDuff
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2008, 02:28:10 AM »

I'll be honest,I chose that I'd a pay $1.00,but I probably wouldn't pay anything if it was a download,I want a cd version of the album because it doesn't matter if it was offered as a download because most people would download it for free anyway because someone would buy it (in download form) and then they would post it on the torrent sites as soon as it was downloaded.

I hate to say it,but alot more people will download if for free then buy the album or the download,it's sad but that's the way it is,ofcourse when it does come out on cd I will buy 2 copies of the album. smoking
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

Don't think Axl! Makes my dick itch!

« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2008, 03:49:53 AM »

Digital download is a dumbass idea. Sure there are people out there who will do the honorable thing ad pay the same price they would pay for a cd in the store, I'm sure some would even pay more to support the band and all that. The majority however, are selfish fuckers who will take advantage of you if it's gonna save em a little cashish. This especially applies to a band like G'n'R because there will be a hell of a lot of people who are gonna be only curious about this album, cause it is G'n'R after all, and the last such album that saw the light of day was the Spaghetti Incident, an album disliked by almost everyone except hardcore fans. These people are not gonna pay if you put it online.

Seeings as how I'm against digital downloads because I wants to hold my cd and flick through the book, I wouldn't pay at all. I would get my old mate Benny to gimme a copy, as would most people with their respective mates.

It ain't smart.

I was living to the best of my ability, now I'm living in correctional facility
Jaakko
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2008, 04:33:41 AM »

My thoughts exactly, future sucks...
kuetastic
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2008, 04:52:54 AM »

I think everybody is forgetting one thing, the target audience/demographic suited to the most sales are of the generation who know and want an actual album for the collection. Chinese Democracy is a BIG thing for these people and although the release may not be to grand because of the various bullshit going on behind doors a digital download would be a final insult to the people who have waited for a physical release for all these years, paid hundreds of dollars for tickets and merchandise only to have a dozen MP3's on your HD some of which have already been there for years anyway, only official now.
Its almost hard to comprehend Axl himself wanting to take this route let alone the rest of the group who lets face it, put their reputation on the line.

I can understand some of the players behind such things as i-tunes being interested in using CD as a flagship but the majority of people paying for downloads are not the type of person looking to hear this album, either fans or general curiosity. Its as simple as that. It would almost encourage pirating the release if it wasn't in stores before they offered some extra internet deals and who knows where that could lead sales wise. Not the safest bet.

Its been a big story so far with a lot of ups and downs, hopefully its end on a high and we don't all walk away disappointed listening to ipods.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: