Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 12:55:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227936 Posts in 43254 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If CD was a digital download?
Poll
Question: If Chinese Democracy was offered as a digital download, how much would you pay for it?
< $1 (?0.50, 1?) - 18 (11.5%)
$1-5 (?0.50-2.50, 1-3.50?) - 8 (5.1%)
$6-10 (?3-5, 4-7?) - 22 (14.1%)
$11-15 (?5.60-7.70, 8-10?) - 34 (21.8%)
$16-20 (?8-10, 11-14?) - 17 (10.9%)
> $20 (?10, 14?) - 57 (36.5%)
Total Voters: 145

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If CD was a digital download?  (Read 27016 times)
Tatiana Kudrin
Soak The Sin
Rocker

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2008, 01:21:05 PM »

I wouldn't spend too much of money on a download... I must be one of the rare persons left who never bought a song online and  who'd rather pay 20  bucks for a CD, regardless of its artwork. I'm  more picky about my choices now. I used to buy at least a CD/week. God bless the 90ies. Now I buy one once in a while. I got most of my recent stuff on ebay  because I knew it would be fucking hard to get them in the town where I live.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:23:20 PM by Lori » Logged

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2008, 01:22:02 PM »

Actually, you could pay $0 for the Radiohead album and it would still be legal.

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2008, 01:22:16 PM »

Are you saying that this $1 thing is NOT okay with the band?  And if that's the case then how can it be legal?

With Radiohead it was ok since they let the people buying decide the price.

I just don't understand how fans can think the album is worth one cent or penny. Is the plastic and paper worth $10?

I wouldn't spend too much of money on a download... I must be one of the rare persons left who never bought a song online and  who'd rather pay 20  bucks for a CD, regardless of its artwork. I'm  more picky about my choices now. I used to buy at least a CD/week. God bless the 90ies. Now I buy one once in a while. I got most of my recent stuff on ebay and because I knew it would be fucking hard to get them in the town where I live.

I see what you're saying.

I think the digital download should be a compliment for the actual physical release.

I like to look at the booklet etc.

But I understand that some artists don't have the opportunity to release physical albums. So if the option is no music, then it's not a difficult choice...

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:25:43 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2008, 01:34:27 PM »

Are you saying that this $1 thing is NOT okay with the band?  And if that's the case then how can it be legal?

With Radiohead it was ok since they let the people buying decide the price.

I just don't understand how fans can think the album is worth one cent or penny. Is the plastic and paper worth $10?
IMO, it is NOT a critique of the band or the material if the fans pay $1 instead of $100 if it's available legally for $1.

But I'm probably just missing some point in the concept of this whole $1 vs $100 thing. 

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 01:36:00 PM »

I don't think it's a question about legality.

More about what you think it's worth to hear new music by an artist you enjoy listening to.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Tatiana Kudrin
Soak The Sin
Rocker

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2008, 01:40:50 PM »

I wouldn't spend too much of money on a download... I must be one of the rare persons left who never bought a song online and  who'd rather pay 20  bucks for a CD, regardless of its artwork. I'm  more picky about my choices now. I used to buy at least a CD/week. God bless the 90ies. Now I buy one once in a while. I got most of my recent stuff on ebay and because I knew it would be fucking hard to get them in the town where I live.

I see what you're saying.

I think the digital download should be a compliment for the actual physical release.

I like to look at the booklet etc.

But I understand that some artists don't have the opportunity to release physical albums. So if the option is no music, then it's not a difficult choice...

/jarmo
I know... and I surely failed to check on tons of great music because of that (fi, I heard that Reznor's colaboartion w/ Williams is  awesome and I haven't checked on it).  I'm a collector, have always been. It implies touching an object (a CD), looking at it, storing it with care, reading the leaflet over and over... Downloading would kill much of the pleasure. If CD was available for download...well, I'd maybe buy it...so I could have the songs until the disc itself is available.

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2008, 01:45:01 PM »

I don't think it's a question about legality.

More about what you think it's worth to hear new music by an artist you enjoy listening to.
Sorry to keep beating this dead horse  Embarrassed ... But if it's okay with the artist to make their music available for $1 then why would I pay more than that?

Or is that the point I'm missing?  That it's NOT okay with the artist?

If I'm buying a cd from a store, I'm gonna buy it from the store that sells it for the cheapest price if it's the same exact item in every store.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2008, 01:48:40 PM »

It is ok!

But it's like tipping, what is it worth to you?

You get the same meal even if you tip 10% or 20%..... Wink

Buying it in the store is different since the artist is paid the same amount per album (as far as I know). So for the artist it doesn't matter if you get it from Best Buy, Amazon or a local independent record store.

/jarmo

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2008, 01:58:16 PM »

To be honest, based solely on what I've heard so far, I'd pay between $16 and $20.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2008, 02:01:23 PM »

Thanks Jarmo! Hopefully the tipping analogy will clear it up for some people (although I can't figure out how it's confusing.)

I personally like to go to a store, get the CD, look at the artwork, and put quality sounding music in the CD player in my car.  Nothing better than great music filling up your car speakers.  It's much better than shitty little IPod earpieces. For Chinese Democracy, I would pay whatever they asked probably.  If I have a choice....around $15 would be fair.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
November_Rain
Loyal to death
VIP

The bittersweet honey of your eyes...

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2008, 02:06:39 PM »

Since I have to pay I prefer a cd instead of a download. I want to have the booklet, the lyrics, artwork...etc. If it was another singer or another band I would probably go with the download option but when it?s about my favourite band or one of my favourite singers I definitely buy the cd. I?m usually selective and I only buy the cd?s of my favourite bands/singers.

Nobody will ever love you the way I do...
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2008, 02:08:44 PM »

My answer would depend on how exactly it was released:

1. If it was available only as a download, 'bout $10 would be fair.

2. If it was available as a download first, then a physical release later, I'd pay maybe $5 for the download, then buy the CD when available.

3. If it was available as a download and as a packaged CD at the same time, I would buy the CD and have no need to download.

That seems fair.  yes
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2008, 02:10:28 PM »

If it were setup as a download from the main site, I'd donate or pay up to $10 for it. I'm planning on buying numerous copies when it is finally released anyway, so I think they'd get my moneys worth hihi
Wicked Demon
Rocker

my post was Here Yesterday...

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2008, 02:19:19 PM »

U2 has some kind of online club that fans can subscribe to annually and they can download everything in U2's catalog, including alternate mixes and videos.

If GNR was recording and releasing tracks somewhat regularly, I would pay $100 / year for a similar club. Miscellaneous studio sessions, concert footage, discarded album artwork...

I would pay for a digital download if that is the only way; I would pay $20, maybe higher.

I would also pay highly for a deluxe version of a physical CD... premium packaging, some simple bonus features, extra tracks not available in the download. Charge whatever you have to to make the same profit that you expect to make on a digital download and I would pay.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2008, 02:22:22 PM »

I might go 0.1 per 20sec.  (sounds like a cell phone rate  hihi)that makes  $ 1.2 for a 4 min song.

it depends. if a physical release would not follow, I'd pay more.

bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2008, 02:24:22 PM »

U2 has some kind of online club that fans can subscribe to annually and they can download everything in U2's catalog, including alternate mixes and videos.

That's actually a pretty clever idea!  It would be awesome for GNR to do something similar.
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2008, 02:25:29 PM »

I might go 0.1 per 20sec.  (sounds like a cell phone rate  hihi)that makes  $ 1.2 for a 4 min song.

it depends. if a physical release would not follow, I'd pay more.

Interesting strategy.  I agree with your point about paying more if there's no physical release.
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2008, 02:26:08 PM »

TBH, I would only buy a digital download if they wouldn't release a "physical album"
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2008, 02:29:58 PM »

TBH, I would only buy a digital download if they wouldn't release a "physical album"

If there was 6 months between a digital release and a physical release, would you just wait?  I can't say I'd be able to do that!
Wicked Demon
Rocker

my post was Here Yesterday...

« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »

I thought it was pretty cool. I remember a friend of mine showing me two videos for the same song. It looks like it is $45/year:

http://www.u2.com/demo/

That's actually a pretty clever idea!  It would be awesome for GNR to do something similar.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: