Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:43:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  If CD was a digital download?
Poll
Question: If Chinese Democracy was offered as a digital download, how much would you pay for it?
< $1 (?0.50, 1?) - 18 (11.5%)
$1-5 (?0.50-2.50, 1-3.50?) - 8 (5.1%)
$6-10 (?3-5, 4-7?) - 22 (14.1%)
$11-15 (?5.60-7.70, 8-10?) - 34 (21.8%)
$16-20 (?8-10, 11-14?) - 17 (10.9%)
> $20 (?10, 14?) - 57 (36.5%)
Total Voters: 145

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If CD was a digital download?  (Read 27272 times)
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« on: January 24, 2008, 11:49:09 AM »

IF GNR decided to go the Radiohead...Saul Williams/NIN route and offer Chinese Democracy as a digital download...how much would you pay for it?

Edit: I added a poll for fun since this is a topic that seems to generate a lot of discussion not just aong GN'R fans, but others as well.

So here we have an opportunity to take a current event/possible trend and apply it to GN'R.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 12:53:37 PM by jarmo » Logged

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
Jaci_Roxx
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:54:50 AM »

You mean I'd get to decide how much I'd pay for it? As much as I could afford. But not any less than a regular album in a cd format because that just wouldn't be right.

Unless of course they'd accept credit card payment only. (I can't get a credit card. Tongue )
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 11:55:15 AM »

Not a bad route considering the downloading of leaks...

It will sell regardless though.

I would pay 8-12 dollars for it. Somewhere in that area. I hate how Sam Goody and other stupid stores have like a new cd for 16 or 18 dollars. It's ridiculous. Thank god for downloading. I've saved so much money!

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
suicide
VIP

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 12:05:06 PM »

I would pay as little as possible for the digital download. Hey, just being honest here!
And why not, I'll buy the 'real' album when it's available.
Jaci_Roxx
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 12:06:19 PM »

I would pay 8-12 dollars for it. Somewhere in that area. I hate how Sam Goody and other stupid stores have like a new cd for 16 or 18 dollars. It's ridiculous. Thank god for downloading. I've saved so much money!

How much is 16-18 bucks in euros? I think most new cds cost around 20-25 euros here. I'd much rather have a digital download if it cost less, because that way I'd get more albums the legal way!  Roll Eyes

*edit*

If it was done the legal way in the first place. I don't know if the Radiohead thing was considered legal... was it?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 12:08:26 PM by Razzberry » Logged
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 12:08:33 PM »

Someone help me here. By digital download, are you talking about through I tunes or something like that?

Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 12:13:53 PM »

I'd pay as much as it takes.

they could make a "buy CD, get discount on Tour Tickets" or merchandise thing.

hell, they could do a "buy CD, support the democrats" also... or save the dolphins...

(I'm serious)... that would get some attention.

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 12:15:57 PM »

When Radiohead released In Rainbows...you had a choice of getting it for free or paying how much you thought was fair.  You could pay $1 or $100, or anything in between.  (I paid about 10 after the currency conversion)

So if GNR was to adopt the same strategy and let fans pay as little or as much as they wanted...how much do you think you would pay?

It was all legal, BTW.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 12:16:06 PM »

I would pay as little as possible for the digital download. Hey, just being honest here!
And why not, I'll buy the 'real' album when it's available.

Same.

Oh My Choking Soul
VIP

Flee the scene...

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 12:17:27 PM »

When Radiohead released In Rainbows...you had a choice of getting it for free or paying how much you thought was fair.  You could pay $1 or $100, or anything in between.  (I paid about 10 after the currency conversion)

So if GNR was to adopt the same strategy and let fans pay as little or as much as they wanted...how much do you think you would pay?

It was all legal, BTW.

I paid one penny for the digital download and then I bought the $80 box set, which was dumb because it came with the digital download anyway.

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 12:26:03 PM »

I'd pay as much as it takes.

they could make a "buy CD, get discount on Tour Tickets" or merchandise thing.

hell, they could do a "buy CD, support the democrats" also... or save the dolphins...

(I'm serious)... that would get some attention.

WTF ARE YOU SAYING?
Jaci_Roxx
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 12:28:05 PM »

It was all legal, BTW.
Thanks for clearing that up.  Smiley I'd definitely get the digital download. I'd get another one later if I couldn't afford more than 5-10 bucks on the day of the release.  Wink

The dolphin thing that someone pointed out...  Grin Hey, Axl loves dogs right? They could raise money for homeless dogs or something. (I send dog & cat food every now and then to organizations that help homeless dogs&cats find new homes, and they really appreciate any help they can get.)

But it's got nothing to do with the band and the music so I don't know how most people would react...  Roll Eyes
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 12:42:01 PM »

I think the reason for the price markup is due to downloading isn't it?  Also the reason we pay more for concert tickets.  I know when I was in Lisbon in 06 to see them, Axl had a little rant at the beginning of the show, he said something to this affect "I understand we have some Portugese and Global downloaders here tonight, the audience begins to cheer, in return Axl says "Motherfuckers".  I am not here to judge anyone for downloading as many people don't always have the funds to spend on the music they want to hear, but with all due respect this is part of the reason the industry is suffering financially. 

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2008, 12:46:40 PM »

$10 to $15 bucks.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 12:54:18 PM »

Now you can vote in the poll I added.

For the people who read too much into things, it's just for fun.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 12:55:51 PM »

I think it depends on how much tracks it's gonna have it.

From 13 tracks, Id pay 13 bucks. Tongue

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 01:01:16 PM »

It was all legal, BTW.
As usual, I'm confused.

If this (the $1 part) is all legal and it's okay with the band to sell it this way, what's the logic of people paying more than $1.  Huh

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2008, 01:08:40 PM »

When Radiohead released In Rainbows...you had a choice of getting it for free or paying how much you thought was fair.  You could pay $1 or $100, or anything in between.  (I paid about 10 after the currency conversion)

It was all legal, BTW.
As usual, I'm confused.

If this (the $1 part) is all legal and it's okay with the band to sell it this way, what's the logic of people paying more than $1.  Huh

Well if you're prepared to pay $10 for it on iTunes why not elsewhere?

If you pay $10 for it on the artist's site, instead of let's say iTunes, you know that the majority of the money actually goes to the artist.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
madagas
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2008, 01:17:54 PM »

I paid $5 for ten In Rainbows tracks (download), then I bought the physical product for $8.47. Thus, in total, I paid $13.47 for the album. As for Gnr, it depends on how many songs are available for download and whether or not there would be a physical release. 
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2008, 01:19:09 PM »

As usual, I'm confused.

Well if you're prepared to pay $10 for it on iTunes why not elsewhere?

If you pay $10 for it on the artist's site, instead of let's say iTunes, you know that the majority of the money actually goes to the artist.
I'm still confused.

Are you saying that this $1 thing is NOT okay with the band?  And if that's the case then how can it be legal?

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: