Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:26:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227700 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Spectacle - VR on tour
| | | | |-+  Chicago - Riviera 1/24/08
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chicago - Riviera 1/24/08  (Read 5143 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« on: January 25, 2008, 11:07:37 AM »

Thanks to  tyberiusm and www.velvet-revolver.com for the review:

http://www.velvetrevolverforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=28568.0

First off...Holy Shit was it cold.
    Doors were supposed to open at 6 but evidently the band was still doing soundchecks so they weren't letting anyone in till they were done. Bad night to make people wait. Around 6:15 the people in line were getting agitated as well as frozen. 5 minutes later they started letting us in, but only just past the entrance. The soundcheck was still going on. It was nice to get in out of the cold and it was even sweeter to hear the band as sort of an appetizer of things to come. Heard about 2 minutes of Interstate Love Song (electric, not acoustic) and about 2 minutes of some talkbox solo stuff. Pretty cool.
    We made our way up to the rail stage left and waited...and waited...I asked one of the Riv staff if anyone was opening or if it was just VR. He said it was only VR. I had a feeling we were going to be waiting awhile. The show was scheduled to "start" at 7:30, which makes sense if you have an opening act. But if it's just VR, there's no way there going on at 7:30. Playing their usual set of 90-100 minutes they would be done at like 9:00. The time they would usually just be going on stage.
    By 8 the air of anticipation was heavy. Anytime the PA music would lag a second too long or there was any sort of testing of the stage lights a buzz went through the crowd. The place was packed. I don't think it was a sellout but I can't imagine anymore people fitting in there.
    At about 8:10 I noticed a couple of the Riv staff talking and 1 guy shaking his head. I asked him what was up. He said they were waiting for Scott to show up. He said that he had just left his hotel and was on the way. Uh-oh. Maybe they wouldn't be going on till 9 after all.
    At 8:30 one of the Riv staff came up and told the front security that they were going on in 4 minutes. The end of the tunnel was in sight. One more song on the PA. Lights go off, "Straight Outta Compton" comes on. They're here.
    As soon as they hit the stage, it's all worth it; the wait, the cold, all forgotten. The band seemed to be getting along on stage with Scott in a particularly good mood. Scott was everywhere, talking to the crowd, going into the crowd, going back-to-back with Dave, crawling out from between Slash's legs (what the?), climbing the riser behind Matt's kit. Duff, Dave and Matt were as solid as ever. Slash is an absolute freak (I mean that in the nicest way). I swear the guy is a guitar playing machine. His playing was spot on and his solos were unbelievable. The blues solo/jam was the highlight of the evening.
    The setlist was the standard from the past year, but with the addition of "American Man", the Blues jam and a non-acoustic version of Interstate Love Song. Overall, this was a very good show. The only real detraction was that Scott's vocals were a but muted. However, the overall energy of the show more than made up for it.
    Well, I'm out of here. I think the ringing in my ears has subsided enough for me to get some sleep.
Out
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 11:58:18 AM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 03:52:47 PM »

Excellent review...thanks for posting!  They rock so hard live!  peace
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 06:07:05 PM »

Some photos are up...

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?contractUrl=1&language=en-US&family=editorial&p=velvet%20revolver&src=standard

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 06:41:47 PM »

Wow, slash pulling out the explorer!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 07:51:38 PM »

Wow, slash pulling out the explorer!

Firebird?  Wink