Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:50:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Dr. Pepper's Chinese Democracy press release
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dr. Pepper's Chinese Democracy press release  (Read 171432 times)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2008, 12:56:09 AM »

No soup for you, next!

I hope it was worth it.

ok

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2008, 12:56:29 AM »

Nice to know the porch light is still on!

I truly hope differences can be settled and the album is unveiled to the public this year. Axl and  the band deserve the fruits of their labors and the fans have been waiting for the earth to crack for a long time.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2008, 01:00:39 AM »

This is really strange.  Cool...but strange.

What if album is released only because of Dr. Pepper.  What bench mark does that send?   Roll Eyes  So every time fans want something, some company pushes a big promotion?  Interesting, could be the future.  I am surprised nobody tried this with a Led Zeppelin Reunion tour. 

I think, if this is due to a REAL connection between the label and Dr. Pepper, rather than simply a random press release, that big music's experimenting with a way to make up lost revenue due to downloading and really, really crappy music (not GNR...just in general).

Something about this seems so fishy though.  Dr. Pepper is not really associated with music to a large degree.  What is in this for Dr. Pepper?  Title sponser of huge tour maybe?  There is something in it for them, but what.  Don't think for one second they are doing this out of the kindness of their hearts.

They did a commercial with Run DMC a few years back.  Not sure if they released an album around that time or not.

Haha it's the first ever 3-D soda can.  Complete with a flat logo that sticks out on rounded edges!!!  When Dr. Pepper and GNR come together, you better damn well believe that innovation and creativity are going mach three.  rofl

Dude...all soda cans are 3D.  hihi

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2008, 01:08:08 AM »

This is really strange.  Cool...but strange.

What if album is released only because of Dr. Pepper.  What bench mark does that send?   Roll Eyes  So every time fans want something, some company pushes a big promotion?  Interesting, could be the future.  I am surprised nobody tried this with a Led Zeppelin Reunion tour. 

I think, if this is due to a REAL connection between the label and Dr. Pepper, rather than simply a random press release, that big music's experimenting with a way to make up lost revenue due to downloading and really, really crappy music (not GNR...just in general).

Something about this seems so fishy though.  Dr. Pepper is not really associated with music to a large degree.  What is in this for Dr. Pepper?  Title sponser of huge tour maybe?  There is something in it for them, but what.  Don't think for one second they are doing this out of the kindness of their hearts.

They did a commercial with Run DMC a few years back.  Not sure if they released an album around that time or not.

Haha it's the first ever 3-D soda can.  Complete with a flat logo that sticks out on rounded edges!!!  When Dr. Pepper and GNR come together, you better damn well believe that innovation and creativity are going mach three.  rofl

Dude...all soda cans are 3D.  hihi

Freedom, wow, you like my posts.. Ha.  There is a lot more to this that we don't know. So hard to speculate.  Something is up.  But we thought with Harley Davidson too... But this is much different than that.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2008, 01:29:20 AM »

Got popcorn?
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2008, 01:50:24 AM »

Im all positive and for this , as I think it will bring cd closer to us

but axls press statement seems like he has no idea/clue about the dr pepper promotion thing,
Which is weird because, you would think, at the very least, axl would know every single detail about
the promotional campaign of chinese democracy....
So at the same time, just thinking logically, and im not saying its one way or not, but
if axl did have some insight ,and say for hypothetical reasons that Axl knew/the label knew about
this and the whole dr pepper campaign was pre - planned, agreed too, then this means that chinese democracy really
is coming out this year, cause if it doe
snt, not only axl looks bad, but so will dr pepper...
just my thoughts and opinions

someone posted this at another site, and Makes perfect sense...

I can't believe that everyone seems to think GN'R aren't in on this.

Of course Dr. Pepper says GN'R isn't involved and of course GN'R says they aren't involved. The whole promotion is based on the idea that this is a challenge to Axl to release the album and that there isn't anything in it for Mr. Rose other than seeing Dr. Pepper give everyone a free drink. If they admit Axl is involved then you know it's promotion and you know the album is coming. The challenge is over before it even began.

Let's pretend Axl isn't in on it. Think what happens if the album doesn't come out. Dr. Pepper will run with this campaign probably all year (or at least into the fall). It will make people interested in the band and get their hopes up. Then no album. Axl ends up looking bad, Dr. Pepper ends up looking bad, the whole thing just has no payoff. No...if Axl wasn't in on this he wouldn't have issued his release. He'd have issued Cadbury/Schwepps a legal document instead, because he'd be pissed at how this would end up making him look.

And if the album does come out then Dr. Pepper is on the hook for the cost of the free drinks. Yes they can estimate it and yes it won't be as high as 300 million x $0.80 but it will still be an unquantified liability. Why would they open themselves up to this potential hit if they didn't have some sort of payoff negotiated with GN'R? Answer: they wouldn't. They will do something with GN'R, like be the sole drink provider on the tour or something of that nature. Companies don't just open themselves up to uncertain liability, and for what? A cheap bit of media attention for a day or two before the likely event that Axl shoots them down through his lawyers?

Axl's involved, of course he's involved. At the very least the label are, but I don't for one minute think they did this behind his back.

As for Buckethead and Slash...some people said Axl would never allow them being mentioned, or you can't legally withhold a prize from someone. Am I the only one who can see that it was clearly a joke? It's good to see that Axl is fairly good natured about those guys. Gives me some hope for an eventual reunion someday.

And as for whether GN'R should do this...okay, I get the argument that they shouldn't. But in this day and age where people do not buy albums they probably have no choice. Release the album in 2000 and this promotion wouldn't happen. Right, it's not what GN'R stood for, but GN'R means something entirely different today than it used to mean. Well, in my heart GN'R will always be one thing, but in the real world it's not the same band. Hasn't been for more than ten years.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 01:53:52 AM by gunns1 » Logged

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2008, 01:59:46 AM »

I think that about sums it up.
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2008, 02:01:40 AM »

Guns N Roses will always be my favorite band I don't care if they did a commerical for skittles.  Some people still think its a fake promotion or april fools joke well I don't think Axl would respond to something that is a rumour or a joke.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2008, 02:22:58 AM »

The thing that I can't figure out is why would Dr. Pepper do this if this was just a joke.  What would a little bit of extra publicity mean to a company like Dr. Pepper?  If it isn't a joke, and there wasn't a distinct possibility the record would be released, then, again, why would Dr. Pepper do this?  A little extra promotion?  A few tidbits on some news sites?  Do they really need that?

Maybe I'm overanalyzing, but I have to think there is something more to this.

Your thoughts.

Ali
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2008, 02:25:18 AM »

Reading their press release however, it seems a little too positive to be a "Prank" or just a dig at GNR.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Evolution
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2008, 02:34:50 AM »

Reading their press release however, it seems a little too positive to be a "Prank" or just a dig at GNR.

Like Mayweather/Show, it's a work!
ben9785
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2008, 02:35:56 AM »

Just when you don't expect him, in the most unlikely circumstances, our Axl turns up.

And he sure does have quite a way to say something when he wants to..

Axl I really do hope that free can of Dr Pepper comes to pass for you..
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #132 on: March 27, 2008, 02:51:58 AM »

Apparently I was wrong. Weird stuff.

It's be sweet to have a new GNR song on a Dr. Pepper commercial, I think it'd be a good form of advertisement on-top of all the other stuff out thats bound to be out there. Oh and that GNR Dr. Pepper can is photoshopped, and horribly done I might add, but it does provide a cool template.

Jarmo can you comment on Dr. Pepper launching a campaign rumor?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:57:57 AM by mrbucketfoot » Logged
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #133 on: March 27, 2008, 03:02:44 AM »

Apparently I was wrong. Weird stuff.

While wrong, it was well reasoned and thought out.

Weird indeed; extraordinarily so.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2008, 03:27:30 AM »

1 - "A change that's bittersweet that's called the blues"
2 - "There was a time"
3 - "Better"
4 - "Madagascar"
5 - "Catcher in the Rye"

THANKS, skyzo.

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
elmir
VIP

« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2008, 03:37:37 AM »

The thing that I can't figure out is why would Dr. Pepper do this if this was just a joke.  What would a little bit of extra publicity mean to a company like Dr. Pepper?  If it isn't a joke, and there wasn't a distinct possibility the record would be released, then, again, why would Dr. Pepper do this?  A little extra promotion?  A few tidbits on some news sites?  Do they really need that?

Maybe I'm overanalyzing, but I have to think there is something more to this.

Your thoughts.

Ali

because the PR company in charge get paid gazillions every year to come up with innovative and interesting ways of further marketing the product.

and considering the person in charge in the PR company is an Axl Rose obsessive (to put it mildly), it kind of makes perfect sense. His debate/discussion style is fairly convincing, if you ever had the opportunity of getting into one of those with him, so i would guess that he didn't have too hard of a time selling this idea to his client....the beverage company...

that's how they went for it.
if you can sell ice to eskimos or sand to the arabs....which is what i believe kaneda can do....it shouldn't be too much of a mission to sell chinese democracy to Dr. Pepper...

it will create new interest, and bring the brand (together with the album) to "top of mind" status with the general public...and that's the final objective every time you do a promo.

I please one person per day...today is not your day...tomorrow ain't looking good either...
prairie
Headliner

www.gnrtv.com - All GNR, all the time.

« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2008, 03:45:22 AM »

"Not to be an asshole"

but has anyone noticed Axls response is signed "Axl Rose", not "W. Axl Rose" the way he ALWAYS signs?    http://www.gunsnroses.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080326&content_id=a1&vkey=news&fext=.jsp

and there is NO mention of this on Dr. Peppers webesite.   www.drpepper.com

I'm not trying to be negative, just stuff I noticed.  Sorry if it's been mentioned already.

Peace
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 03:47:41 AM by prairie » Logged

At www.gnrtv.com, it's all GNR videos, all the time.  Plus a few other goodies.

I'm not interested in petty online fights with strangers.  I'm here for fun, if my post has upset you - Sorry.
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2008, 03:51:31 AM »

The weird thing about GNR today...you can go months without any news whatsoever, and then when you finally get some, its guaranteed to not be what you expected.

I was just thinking about Dr Pepper's recent advertising slogans. 'So misunderstood', and 'What's the worst that could happen'. You can finish off that thought for me.

And there goes the challenger...
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2008, 04:05:18 AM »

They've always had funny commercials....if Axl doesn't take advantage of this kind of promotion hes stupid.   PUT OUT THE ALBUM AXL...THE WORLD STILL REMEMBERS CHINESE DEMOCRACY!  Even though we thought 2002-2007 would be great times to release it NOW is as good a time as any!!
sexkitten
On the Nightrain
VIP

« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2008, 04:23:37 AM »

This is the best news EVER!!!!  HELL YEAH!! peace peace peace peace peace peace peace peace peace
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: