Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:55:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227756 Posts in 43244 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Velvet Revolver To Part Ways With Scott Weiland
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Velvet Revolver To Part Ways With Scott Weiland  (Read 83632 times)
KD8LNW
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2008, 10:58:48 PM »

I think Duff should just sing if they are gonna go on as VR.

Oh Lord help us, please no.

LOL!

Listen to Dark Days if you already haven't his vocals have improved greatly since getting sober. I know alot of people dont like Duff's vocals but i have always thought they were pretty good.  Of course i have always liked the punk vibe. ok
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2008, 11:04:41 PM »

april 1st is a weird day to announce this. and/but its not on the official vr site yet.

....The day makes sense since it was the last show...

oh, tour is over allready? didnt check before. i would have prefered to get such a statement 1-2 days later though.

just found out it appears their cologne show from 3/29/08 now might make it on tv (near) complete now:

Donnerstag auf
Freitag, 02. Mai 2008
0.25 - 3.25 Uhr
im WDR Fernsehen  Rockpalast
22. ROCKNACHT
mit VELVET REVOLVER
GOOD CHARLOTTE
JOLLY GOODS
(Palladium K?ln am 29.03.08)

they had more bands to be on broadcast that night but added another day for that....so good chance to get a longer/complete show as they know show 3 bands within 3 hours without commercial breaks.

Re-Union time, baby!!
HBK
Legend

" SOLD OUT "

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2008, 11:16:11 PM »

April 01

Velvet Revolver founding members Slash, Duff McKagan, Matt Sorum and Dave Kushner announced today that they are parting ways with singer Scott Weiland.

"This band is all about its fans and its music and Scott Weiland isn't 100% committed to either," said Slash. "Among other things, his increasingly erratic on-stage behavior and personal problems have forced us to move on."

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080401006700&newsLang=en

Sanctuary Artist Management
Myman, Abell, Fineman, Greenspan & Light
Jeffrey Light ? Attorney
310-205-5000

R.I.P. VR

HBK *
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 11:17:58 PM by HBK » Logged

● guиs и' яoses ● ● ● ガンズ・アンド・ローゼズ ● ● ● ROBIN IS MAGIC ●

▄█ Pяoکτiτuτe █▄

● H B K ● The Legend Gunner ●
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2008, 01:04:49 AM »

Do any VR fans feel like it won't be the real Velvet Revolver without Weiland? 

I don't feel that way.  I've always liked Weiland and thought it was a great concept that he became lead singer.  However, with the way things have gone, this isn't surprising.  I'd rather see VR part ways with Weiland and move on, than to see them totally split up.  I really like having Duff & Slash together, and I don't want to see that partnership end.  Despite how some people might feel about Sorum, I can't see them together without him.  And Dave's great, as well.  I think they have the tenacity to move forward & continue.   
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2008, 01:13:36 AM »

Don't bring Axl into this.  ok

You want a list of things VR has done for money?

Duff even admitted they were doing those VIP Meet & Greet things because it was a way to make money on tour.

Slash has transformed himself from "only" a guitar hero for rock fans into a brand name who appears in video games and sells Gibson guitars.

If it was only about music, I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't done many of these things.

Obviously he's free to do whatever the fuck he feels like to pay the bills, but please don't tell me "This band is all about its fans and its music ".....

And no, I'm still not in VR. You might have heard otherwise from several (clueless) posters on this board, but it's not true.  Grin

/jarmo

If things were only about the music, then they'd all still be the "gutter rats" they started out as.  If it was only about the music, then, who cares about record contracts?  I mean, that might possibly bring fame and....money.  If it was ONLY about the music, then they'd all be happy still playing little local LA clubs & bars.     
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2008, 01:25:05 AM »

Then they put out that press release to make it seem like he was fired.

I agree 100%.

The day he confirmed the STP reunion he in effect fired them, made STP his priority.

This was a face saviing move at best, a classless one at that.

I don't agree.  Classless has been Weiland's antics over the last few months.   So what if STP has announced a tour?  People can do side projects (of a "side project", as some have said).  I think Scott's the one who needs to "save face", here.  He left STP on bad terms, and ended up with VR.  Now he's leaving this band, on bad terms, and going back to STP.  If Scott intended to leave this band, then he should have said so, in the first place, instead of pulling some of the bullshit things he's done, lately.  When you work with a band, in the public eye, the rest of the band deserves better than near fist fights on stage & announcing "last tours" on stage, etc.     
ACE_is_BACK
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2008, 01:32:42 AM »

I have a feeling this was a done deal before they even went on this euro tour which would make sense why they weren't happy when scott let it out at the show in glasgow. Who knows though?
On the topic of being motivated by money, I don't believe that is slash's motivation, matt, probabaly so. With Slash, he gets asked to do alot of things and yah he agrees and of course he gets payed, but one thing you have ALWAYS heard slash say is that he needs to keep himslef busy or he'll get himself in trouble. So yah of course he's gonna like the money, who wouldn't? But I don't think it's his motivation for doing all of these things, I think it's more so, that hey, it's something to do with his time.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2008, 01:40:32 AM »

I agree 100%.

The day he confirmed the STP reunion he in effect fired them, made STP his priority.

I don't agree.  Classless has been Weiland's antics over the last few months.   So what if STP has announced a tour?  People can do side projects (of a "side project", as some have said).  I think Scott's the one who needs to "save face", here.  He left STP on bad terms, and ended up with VR.  Now he's leaving this band, on bad terms, and going back to STP.  If Scott intended to leave this band, then he should have said so, in the first place, instead of pulling some of the bullshit things he's done, lately.  When you work with a band, in the public eye, the rest of the band deserves better than near fist fights on stage & announcing "last tours" on stage, etc.     

While I agree with Falcon that it was sort of a classless move, it needed to be done.

Also, in rock n' roll circles, when you mention the name Scott Weiland, classless is probably the first adjective that comes to mind.  He's been puling shit like that ever since he got into the music business, so it's not like it's a total surprise.
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2008, 01:43:11 AM »

I agree 100%.

While I agree with Falcon that it was sort of a classless move, it needed to be done.

Also, in rock n' roll circles, when you mention the name Scott Weiland, classless is probably the first adjective that comes to mind.  He's been puling shit like that ever since he got into the music business, so it's not like it's a total surprise.

Exactly.  And it was by far a classless move when compared with other shit that has gone on.  You're right - needed to be done. 
kimberly
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2008, 03:26:20 AM »

I wonder how long it will take for Scott to respond to this one, it should be interesting, seeing as how he has a tendency to respond in a much harsher way than the actual message he was replying to. I'm not to bothered that Scott left, sure its a pity, but he was kind of the weak link lately. And when you're frontman is the weak link, you're in a pretty fucked position as a band.

I wonder who the new singer will be, it would be pretty cool if Donovan Leitch (Jr) would be the new singer, one can hope. As long as they don't get another singer with x-amount of rehab stints, jail time etc...one who actually seemes to give a shit would be nice.

"Axl's standing in the doorway of our hotel at 10 am wearing a bathrobe, shouting, 'Hey, Bubbles! Ever been in an earthquake, motherfucker?!"
Agno
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2008, 04:51:09 AM »

When Slash does something for the money he does it for the fans to at the same time! And he get's more fans out of it also, that is why it's all about the fans and the music. As a fan I want to see more of my stars. I don't think he would play gigs like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-4T_0ETcFc&feature=related if it wasn't for the fans. He loves the atention and he needs the money. That's what I think.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2008, 05:34:05 AM »

In a perfect world, without Scott around I wish they would dump the name. For better or worse, Scott and Slash were the signature sound of the band, and you take one away and it will seem kind of hollow listening to someone sing Scott's stuff every night under the guise of being VR. I would feel the same way if it were Slash that left and the other 4 carried on even if they found someone who could play his stuff note for note. There is an intangible aspect to the dynamic between the 5 of them that made them VR, and take away a corner stone piece of that and they are really carrying on in name only.

That being said, the reality of the situation is that at their age the odds of them being able to form yet another band with a new name that will be a completely unknown brand name to the general public, without a record deal, and hope to have mainstream success is slim to none. They all had famous pedigrees, but it took years(and still alot to go) to build VR into a brand that people could identify as its own entity without the benefit of the back story of who made up the band and their respective pasts. Time is not on their side, and to start from scratch realistically is not a viable option. At least there is some brand equity in the VR name that they can use to try and make a go with a new singer that they wouldn't have without out it.  

The other issue I suspect is the recording contract. They owe them another album, and while I am sure the label would gladly let them walk from it from the band's standpoint it is probably a better deal at this point than they could get on their own as a new entity. It would hardly be unprecedented in the music world for an artist to keep a name alive because of the benefit the existing recording contract offers vs. what they would most likely be looking at as the exact same ensemble trying to get a deal under an unknown name. From a business standpoint that absolutely has to be considered if you're an artist in a position to make that choice.

If they were 5-10 years younger they could probably have started over and hoped to achieve comparable success to what VR attained, but given their situation now starting over would kill any hopes at maintaining or regaining what little relavancy they have left. At this age they are starting to enter into that nostalgia stage of their career where people become are more interested in reliving your past glories than they are soaking in newer offerings.

Without the VR name they may as well go hire a singer to be a glorified tribute band and play 80% of their old material with a few new ones sprinkled in every night in the vein of Roger Waters when he played Dark Side of the Moon straight through and milked the Floyd cow on his last couple of tours. Frankly their would probably be more interest in that type of scenario right now than any new VR offerings. With the right singer they could probably do the exact same thing and play the famous album associated with them straight through and they would probably fill bigger venues than they can now as there is a market for that stuff.

Roger sold out practically everywhere he played without David Gilmour's vocals just for the experience of seeing and hearing him play that stuff after all this time given the legend of the album and the band.  Slash and them might be well served to consider something like that as there is a market for it based on certain songs at VR shows getting the biggest response every night. They could probably sell alot of tickets under those circumstances just for the novelty of seeing him play that stuff again, particularly if it was marketed right the way Roger Waters tours were. They can release a billion more VR albums and they will never get out from underneath their past accomplishments, so maybe they should start to embrace that reality and use it to their advantage.
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2008, 06:34:52 AM »

So funny this all. Scott always had these antics and it was no problem... but now the album TANKED, it was a huge flop on all fronts and boom, they are backstabbing each other. Why didn't they all go and do some kungfu schwengshu on a mountain in Tibet like before to solve stuff, roflcopter ok

The problem with VR isn't the singer's antics though... it is the lack of quality in the muzak they come up with since they left GnR (Slash/Duff)... doesn't even come close to that.

So it doesn't matter if they get a new singer, it will still be mediocre pose-rock  peace

This signature is very funny.
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2008, 07:35:01 AM »

Beam me up Scotty...   rofl

Damn, who will the next one be?

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2008, 08:14:09 AM »

Do any VR fans feel like it won't be the real Velvet Revolver without Weiland? 

yeah.  I thought slash, duff and matt were fighting themselves not too sound too much like their old sound w/ gnr; but gnr don't sound like that anymore either Cry
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2008, 08:37:53 AM »

Scott always had these antics and it was no problem... but now the album TANKED, it was a huge flop on all fronts and boom, they are backstabbing each other.

Good point.

Scott's issues were no issue when Contraband was selling, they were playing arenas and winning awards.

To anybody who's upset about me bringing up the money issue. Something to think about, things Slash  and VR have done in the past few years: Mastercard ad, VW ad, canceled shows in Europe due to them not being money makers, saving money while recording Contraband which meant the music suffered, sued real estate agent for money lost etc.....

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 08:41:36 AM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #96 on: April 02, 2008, 08:40:52 AM »

To anyone who?s interested, I met Duff, Slash and Dave this morning on the airport. I told them I really wished this project to go on to which Duff smiled and said: "don?t worry, we will".  Smiley

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #97 on: April 02, 2008, 08:47:23 AM »

Well I'm happy Weiland is out, he and his one octave voice.

I hope that this time around the guys get someone who has the range and the talent, if they keep the name it's going to be a bit more difficult to get back to the spotlight, but few bands have succeeded and I for one, can't imagine Maiden with out Bruce.

My bigget problem with the albums were Scott's vocals, some of the songs are more than good and couple are even great but it gets tiresome, I can't listen those two albums in a row, on the second album I'm not even sure when a song changes, sounds too similar.

Also I don't think that Scott really pushed their music forward and to the next level, like that one red headed guy we know. These guys, specially Slash needs someone who has the balls to say

"Sounds cool but I think we could work on that a little bit more"

But I wish my best to VR and hope that their next album will be great

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
GeraldFord
« Reply #98 on: April 02, 2008, 08:51:28 AM »

No real suprise to hear this....

It's a shame too, as Libertad saw the band really gell...I was hoping for album #3....

Does Slash have Perry Ferrell's number?
TomFriend
VIP

Even the phone...

« Reply #99 on: April 02, 2008, 09:06:25 AM »

Scott always had these antics and it was no problem... but now the album TANKED, it was a huge flop on all fronts and boom, they are backstabbing each other.

Good point.

Scott's issues were no issue when Contraband was selling, they were playing arenas and winning awards.

To anybody who's upset about me bringing up the money issue. Something to think about, things Slash  and VR have done in the past few years: Mastercard ad, VW ad, canceled shows in Europe due to them not being money makers, saving money while recording Contraband which meant the music suffered, sued real estate agent for money lost etc.....

/jarmo

But do they have their own brand of scented candles?  peace

And there goes the challenger...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: