Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:53:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227787 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Scott Weiland speaks about the end of VR
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Weiland speaks about the end of VR  (Read 42578 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2008, 08:15:51 PM »

As for his guitar work with VR as to Post AFD , ARE YOU CRAZY?! Did you forget Use Your Illusions?!?!?

I forgot the UYI's years ago, was not (and still am not) a fan of that era of the band.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2008, 09:05:17 PM »

As for his guitar work with VR as to Post AFD , ARE YOU CRAZY?! Did you forget Use Your Illusions?!?!?

I forgot the UYI's years ago, was not (and still am not) a fan of that era of the band.

.....Wow I can't even respond to that. If you think Slash's playing in VR tops UYI than you are lost. What do you mean that "era" of the band?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2008, 09:26:12 PM »

Yeah Falcon, thats a head scratcher.

His solos on Dont Cry, NR, Coma, KOHD and Estranged destroy any VR solo

his riffs on Locomotive, Don't Damn Me, Civil War are unreal

I like his VR work but Slash wants to do good enough *which is still better than 95 percent of guitar players today* and that be that.

Id like a good mix of somewhere between GNR and VR. Maybe not a few years but more than a month

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »

Yeah Falcon, thats a head scratcher.

his riffs on Locomotive, Don't Damn Me, Civil War are unreal

I like his VR work but Slash wants to do good enough *which is still better than 95 percent of guitar players today* and that be that.

Id like a good mix of somewhere between GNR and VR. Maybe not a few years but more than a month

Breakdown has amazing stuff in it as well. Civil War solo's and breaks. Its a head scratcher alright. I want to hear Slash do his normal thing , just jam out to killer riffs with nice bluesy solos.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2008, 10:55:39 PM »

If you think Slash's playing in VR tops UYI than you are lost.

Hardly lost.

just specific in what I like and his playing on those records was less than memorable for
me.

It's just a matter of taste, subjective opinion.

What do you mean that "era" of the band?

The records/vids/the lineup and the direction of the band in general.  For me it became cartoon like and a bit antiseptic.

Nobody's fault really, huge success breeds excess and I've always preferred "less is more".

I can't even remember those while the solo in "Slither" resonates with me as much as his SCOM solos do.

It's just different strokes, no right or wrong really.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2008, 11:04:51 PM »

If you think Slash's playing in VR tops UYI than you are lost.

Hardly lost.

just specific in what I like and his playing on those records was less than memorable for
me.

It's just a matter of taste, subjective opinion.

What do you mean that "era" of the band?

The records/vids/the lineup and the direction of the band in general.  For me it became cartoon like and a bit antiseptic.

Nobody's fault really, huge success breeds excess and I've always preferred "less is more".

I can't even remember those while the solo in "Slither" resonates with me as much as his SCOM solos do.

It's just different strokes, no right or wrong really.

You honestly don't remember ANY part of Don't Cry , November Rain , KOHD , Estranged , Civil War solos? WOW.....
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2008, 12:35:21 AM »

You honestly don't remember ANY part of Don't Cry , November Rain , KOHD , Estranged , Civil War solos? WOW.....

Haven't listened to those songs in years.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2008, 12:38:51 AM »

Haven't listened to those songs in years.

Those solos are too fucking long, right?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2008, 12:44:04 AM »

It's been so long since I've listened to them I couldn't be specific.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2008, 01:22:27 AM »

It's been so long since I've listened to them I couldn't be specific.

WOW I seriously can't believe people don't listen to UYI. To each is own but still wow.
JimBobTTD
Rocker

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2008, 02:19:25 AM »

That is exactly how I feel. AFD is "all killer, no filler" (with the exception of perhaps Think About You and, at a stretch, Anything Goes). The UYI albums may have their gems, but the bulk of it did not grab me by the balls in the same way as their debut did. I simply did not like the direction the band took with UYI, and long stretches pass between listens.

As someone who likes VR's stuff (unlike a lot of people who like to post on this board) I put that ahead of the UYI LPs. VR's output is nowhere near the quality of AFD, but what is? Nobody has come close to that album.
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2008, 03:10:15 AM »

AFD is "all killer, no filler" (with the exception of perhaps Think About You and, at a stretch, Anything Goes).

Then it's not "all killer, no filler".

That's it, we've reached the bottom ... The Slither solo ? Come on ...

The Estranged parts alone are sending any of his past-GN'R work to oblivion.

He's no guitar hero to me, not anymore. He's just a sellout nowadays. Playing with no inspiration at all, cashing on what he once was.

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2008, 03:25:18 AM »

I have to agree with those who think that Slash's post-GnR stuff isn't as good as the stuff he has written before.
But I also have the desire to tell the people who think that the UYI stuff isn't that good that it is a ll a matter of taste.
I, personally, can't understand it, but that's something else.
If we all would listen to the same stuff there wouldn't be that much variety in music.

Like someone wrote he already I think that Slash is able to give 15?% when the right frontman and/or the right people are around him. Listening to a couple of GnR solos done by Slash really gives the impression that he sometimes just did his job on VR songs, but not with heart or emotion, at least not as much as he did in GnR.

If Slash was that much upset about the GnR situation back in 1990 while they were recording UYI songs and he was able to make those classic riffs, then the VR situation must have been really, really bad. Otherwise I can't explain his riffs being boring sometimes.
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2008, 12:52:57 PM »

Which is why he always talks about the albums being recorded in a month.

I love that aspect of the recordings, capture the moment and move forward.  I'd much rather have a musical snapshot of

Same here.. there ain't nothing wrong with fast recording, time doesn't equal quality. It's just a matter of preference and taste.

I remember Izzy saying everyone in GN'R was a fan of fast recording except Axl, and he said he liked fast recording cause it kept things fresh and spontaneous. There was no point of dwelling on things, it will just the fake the fun out of it.
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2008, 04:50:54 AM »

The more I think about this the more pissed off I am. Scott is a complete jag-off. Does he forget that he was a joke before VR? No one, not even STP, wanted anything to do with him. Picking him wasn't for their benefit as much as it was for his. He's living somewhere over the rainbow right now, on Scott ego land, I mean that guy is not in touch with reality right now. He's not an important artist. And if it wasn't for VR he'd still be singing backup on Limp Bizkit albums. Then for him to turn around and piss on them now? The world has not exactly been itching for another STP record. They were a joke when they first came out, and not only were they still a joke after their second album, they were not even a successful joke anymore. I used to give them the benefit of the doubt because I liked some of their songs, but that's done now.

And yes Scott, you ripped off Eddie and Layne. Deal with it. That's why your style changed to what we have now after grunge died... What a fraud.

Rewind. Head Bangers Ball, early 90's:

Butthole Surfers: Hey...What band does STP remind you of?

Rikki Rachman: The question is, what band don't they remind you of?

And for the record, the weakest part of VR was Scott's songwriting. Sorry, but if some of those lyrics didn't make you cringe, or if you could listen through some of those songs with a straight face, then you are either deaf or living in Scott Weiland ego land too.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2008, 08:32:21 AM »

^^Yeah, I always thought his lyrics were always a weak point in the band
greendog
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2008, 11:11:50 AM »

I actually quite liked lyrics like "somebody raped my tapeworm abortion, come on motherfuckers and deliver the cow".

I found them interesting.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2008, 11:45:38 AM »

I actually quite liked lyrics like "somebody raped my tapeworm abortion, come on motherfuckers and deliver the cow".

Same here, love the abstract/vague lyrical approach.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

greendog
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2008, 11:55:42 AM »

Same here, love the abstract/vague lyrical approach.

Yeah, sometimes lyrics are better when you have to try and figure them out, plus, some of the imagery is just great ^_^
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2008, 12:00:48 PM »

Scott takes another shot... on VR:

"You can't flog a dead horse"

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/showbiz/2008/04/11/quan.stone.temple.cnn?iref=videosearch

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: