Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:18:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Scott Weiland speaks about the end of VR
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Weiland speaks about the end of VR  (Read 42391 times)
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 05:23:52 AM »

maybe now is the time GN'R fans will get what they want, Slash + Axl sharing the same stage

Only the ones who live in the past  peace

I lost all respect for Slash after all the rubbish he released wit Snakepit and VR, no quality anywhere to be seen except 2, maybe 3 songs in the last 13 years... don't forget, the mediocre 5 o'clock Somewhere was gonna be the next GnR album if Slash got what he wanted and Axl hadn't refused.

No fanks  ok
Axl like a lot of ideas on Snakepit 1.0 and was mad Slash released the album with out him.  At first he didn't like it, but it grew on him.

Wrong... Axl said (confirmed by Slash in interviews) that Axl liked 3 or 4 IDEAS and RIFFS... not songs. But they needed to be heavily worked on and changed around for it to be enough quality for a GnR album.

Slash got upset with that and said. I don't need you, see what I can do with these songs.. and then he did that mediocre album which was unnoticed by even GnR fans. Axl also commented on it in interviews, saying the album was just not good enough and he would not accept the mediocre material on it.

Then after that Slash wanted back. seeing the lack of interest in his amazing project.... he knew Axl was right.. but he burned some bridges in the meantime and rest is history. This is confirmed by a close friend of Slash and Axl btw, who also wrote a GnR book, known on this board as "roadrunner" peace

*edit* it was not roadrunner but recklessroad
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:10:22 AM by Atillla » Logged

This signature is very funny.
SpiritDave
One man Matt Sorum fan club
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2008, 07:20:51 AM »

Atilla. ...

are you so thick that you haven't researched properly?  Take a look at the fucking writing credits on Snakepit 1.  You'll find that Gilby, Eric Dover, Duff McKagan, and other names are on that record.  Slash did NOT take the album to Axl ... he took a few ideas to Axl.  What you're forgetting is that any quotes you're taking are not to be taken literally ... but they're generalizations.  So stop being so fucking stupid and think for a minute Wink

Plus ... i loved It's 5 o'clock Somewhere ....

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
Atillla
Banned
Rocker

The HUNter

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2008, 08:09:18 AM »

SpiritDave, first stop insulting members on this board, it makes you look like a silly fangirl  ok

Second, if you are correct, it means Slash and his close friend are both lying about this... and who are you to say so? Slash HIMSELF said he took around 12 songs to Axl, Axl liked only a few riffs nothing more and they needed to be worked on... Slash then said, ok I'm gonna take these and do my own amazing abum.... result, mediocre album that bombed and made Slash crawl back  but it was too late  peace

Here some quotes from recklessroad (Marc Canter, close friend of Slash, wrote official GnR book Reckless Road):

"I have known Axl very well for 23 years and Slash for 31 years and one thing for sure, Axl does not lie. You will always get the truth from Axl.

When it was time to make a record Slash gave Axl 12 songs for the record and Axl said that he liked 3 of the songs but maybe he would do 4 of them.

That pissed Slash off.

Also  Slash's ego was a little too big and he thought he could do it on his own with Snakepit since he no longer had a say so in GNR but when you only have input coming from 1 guy it's not the same as having Axl Slash Duff and Izzy adding to the song-writing. So Slash soon found out that you need a mix of different songwriters to make it work. He wanted to come back to GNR but that didn't work out. So Slash Duff and Matt started up Velvet Revolver and got lucky to find Scott.
What I was trying to say is Slash should  come clean and apologize to the press for some things he has said and done over the years. I have asked Slash to do that and to stop saying things to the press about axl. I think the reason Slash won't do that is because in his mind he won't look Cool. With Slash everything has to be so cool."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:14:10 AM by Atillla » Logged

This signature is very funny.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2008, 08:30:59 AM »

Take a look at the fucking writing credits on Snakepit 1.

All the songs' credits, except Monkey Chow, has the name Slash in the credits.

So it's possible he had songs written for GN'R, without lyrics, and decided to make them into Snakepit songs with the help of Eric Dover.

But with your limited knowledge, you're saying Slash's friend is wrong and you're right? Oh, sorry. You're always right!

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2008, 10:10:00 AM »

maybe now is the time GN'R fans will get what they want, Slash + Axl sharing the same stage

Only the ones who live in the past  peace

I lost all respect for Slash after all the rubbish he released wit Snakepit and VR, no quality anywhere to be seen except 2, maybe 3 songs in the last 13 years... don't forget, the mediocre 5 o'clock Somewhere was gonna be the next GnR album if Slash got what he wanted and Axl hadn't refused.

No fanks  ok
Axl like a lot of ideas on Snakepit 1.0 and was mad Slash released the album with out him.  At first he didn't like it, but it grew on him.

Wrong... Axl said (confirmed by Slash in interviews) that Axl liked 3 or 4 IDEAS and RIFFS... not songs. But they needed to be heavily worked on and changed around for it to be enough quality for a GnR album.

Slash got upset with that and said. I don't need you, see what I can do with these songs.. and then he did that mediocre album which was unnoticed by even GnR fans. Axl also commented on it in interviews, saying the album was just not good enough and he would not accept the mediocre material on it.

Then after that Slash wanted back. seeing the lack of interest in his amazing project.... he knew Axl was right.. but he burned some bridges in the meantime and rest is history. This is confirmed by a close friend of Slash and Axl btw, who also wrote a GnR book, known on this board as "roadrunner" peace

*edit* it was not roadrunner but recklessroad

Snakepit 1 was a platinum album in the middle of the grunge era.  It had some fantastic songs on it.  Some of Slash's best playing.  Axl wasn't fond of that direction, but after a while he did want to work on it to satisfy Slash and do a "Slash" style album.  Would the songs have needed work?  Sure.  But I am sure Jarmo can find this quote somewhere.  I think Axl got a little mad when he released Its Five O'Clock and if you remember, Sorum wouldn't tour with Slash and actually stayed loyal to Axl to not go on road thinking it was bad for GNR if he did. 
SpiritDave
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2008, 10:35:10 AM »

Take a look at the fucking writing credits on Snakepit 1.

All the songs' credits, except Monkey Chow, has the name Slash in the credits.

So it's possible he had songs written for GN'R, without lyrics, and decided to make them into Snakepit songs with the help of Eric Dover.

But with your limited knowledge, you're saying Slash's friend is wrong and you're right? Oh, sorry. You're always right!

/jarmo

I AM right ... as I said ... they were ideas.  These did not become songs til the band was put together and they sat around making the ideas into songs.  Slash may have written a single riff ... here and there.  I do it all the time.  Write a riff... record it... store it for later.  Etc.

<--- Apparently I'm a one man Matt Sorum fan club - Well, if that's the case, I'm proud to be! - Btw, I just love the whole deleting posts thing here Smiley
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2008, 10:42:34 AM »

I AM right ... as I said ... they were ideas.  These did not become songs til the band was put together and they sat around making the ideas into songs.  Slash may have written a single riff ... here and there.  I do it all the time.  Write a riff... record it... store it for later.  Etc.

Let me get this straight.

You, a guy in England, knows more about how things went down than Marc Canter, a friend of Slash's who says "When it was time to make a record Slash gave Axl 12 songs for the record".

Do you know how the UYI albums were made? They all wrote songs and brought them to the band.

But you're saying you know how this happened.

At the time you were about 16 years old so I guess you were living happily in California hanging out with GN'R.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
SpiritDave
Banned
Rocker

Spiritofthestate.com

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2008, 10:50:55 AM »

Let me get this straight.

You, a guy in England, knows more about how things went down than Marc Canter, a friend of Slash's who says "When it was time to make a record Slash gave Axl 12 songs for the record".

Do you know how the UYI albums were made? They all wrote songs and brought them to the band.

But you're saying you know how this happened.

At the time you were about 16 years old so I guess you were living happily in California hanging out with GN'R.

/jarmo

You know ...

when I write a bunch of riffs and throw them together ... I often say "Will, I have done a new song idea ...."

My brother, Will ... then puts lyrics to it ... and we sit and work on structure, melodies, arrangments etc ...

So ... a 'song' ... doesn't have to mean a full finished arranged song ....

You're just as ill informed as I am, and you take things FAR to literally.  Marc Canter probably never heard the 'songs' in question... he probably just knows what he's heard.  It doesn't mean Slash gave Axl the finished Snakepit album like a bunch of the idiots here seem to think.

Everyone here takes quotes they've read WAY to literally and that's what causes people to hate band members.  It's fucking stupid.

jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2008, 11:03:14 AM »

Marc Canter probably never heard the 'songs' in question...

Oh God.....

It doesn't mean Slash gave Axl the finished Snakepit album like a bunch of the idiots here seem to think.

Is this scenario possible:

Slash gives Axl a tape with a bunch of songs. Obviously there's no vocals on them.

Axl says, ok, we could work some more on a few of those.

Slash says, fuck no. They're good as they are. I'm gonna record them myself!

Did you ever hear any of the UYI demos? There's stuff with just Izzy singing, some guitar and a drum machine (example). You can still tell what song it is. So if Izzy managed to put together whole songs, what makes you think Slash couldn't? Don't you have enough faith in his song writing skills?

One more insult towards other members here will be your last.  ok

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 11:08:01 AM by jarmo » Logged

suicide
VIP

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2008, 12:39:19 PM »

What does any of this have to do with "Scott Weiland speaks about the end of VR"?
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 01:15:37 PM »

What does any of this have to do with "Scott Weiland speaks about the end of VR"?

haha good point!  ok

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 02:24:42 PM »

haha good point!  ok

it has everything to do with it, everything i say
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 02:34:02 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I really like VR and have the utmost respect for the Ex-Gunners... but I'm kind of glad we have a NEW GN'R because based on the last VR album, musically I don't think those guys can live up to the GN'R standards anymore.

Slash is my favorite guitar player of all-time and I love the guy, but he just doesn't seem inspired anymore. It's almost like he's just going through the motions. I thought both Snakepit albums were shite, Contraband was good, but the last album was just kind of "Blah."

Hopefully VR can find a decent replacement for Scott and make a great album. Maybe losing Scott will inspire these guys to make the best music they've made in 15+ years. I guarantee they'll have it in their head to try to outdo the next STP record... but will it happen?? I hope so.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
hartman
Rocker

Here since 2002

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2008, 03:39:21 PM »

Also  Slash's ego was a little too big and he thought he could do it on his own with Snakepit 
On his own with Snakepit ? Does that make sense ? Huh

I've always liked Slash.
He has no ego. Even when Axl and I were at war, he stayed a friend...

source: http://www.rosshalfin.co.uk/velvet-revolver/velvet-revolver11.php

GNR forever !!
GNR_Green
VIP

Green Army

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I really like VR and have the utmost respect for the Ex-Gunners... but I'm kind of glad we have a NEW GN'R because based on the last VR album, musically I don't think those guys can live up to the GN'R standards anymore.

Slash is my favorite guitar player of all-time and I love the guy, but he just doesn't seem inspired anymore. It's almost like he's just going through the motions. I thought both Snakepit albums were shite, Contraband was good, but the last album was just kind of "Blah."
Maybe they can't live up to GN'R standards anymore but who can?!  I get pissed off that people still after all these years can't listen to anything the lads release without automatically comparing it to AFD.  It doesn't take a genius to see that AFD was absolutely stellar and the UYI were also very special in their own way, of course not even Slash etc are going to match it.  They don't even try to.  It's Five O'Clock Somewhere is a decent slab of rock - undeserving of the baffling criticism it gets -  and from what I've heard of the second it's not bad either.  VR's music is also pretty decent.

"Said if they had someone to buy it, Said I'm sure they'd sell my soul"
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2008, 01:52:55 PM »

Being a musician myself, I know the impact someone can have on another's abilities.

Axl is like a legendary head coach in sports. He gets the best out of everyone around him. Slash needs that someone like Axl to get the most of his abilities.

slash seems like a guy who is willing to rest on what he has done and no longer wants to work hard and really sweat it out and slave to get the best he can do.

Which is why he always talks about the albums being recorded in a month. First take solos etc. Maybe thats why none stand up to his GNR work?

So yeah, Axl technically didn't write those riffs and solos, but it was Axl's input and drive that forced Slash to do the best he could which is why we got what we got.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2008, 02:00:37 PM »

Being a musician myself, I know the impact someone can have on another's abilities.

Axl is like a legendary head coach in sports. He gets the best out of everyone around him. Slash needs that someone like Axl to get the most of his abilities.

slash seems like a guy who is willing to rest on what he has done and no longer wants to work hard and really sweat it out and slave to get the best he can do.

Which is why he always talks about the albums being recorded in a month. First take solos etc. Maybe thats why none stand up to his GNR work?

So yeah, Axl technically didn't write those riffs and solos, but it was Axl's input and drive that forced Slash to do the best he could which is why we got what we got.

Does Mike Clink ever get any credit?  All of their best work came with Clink at the helm.
Ines_rocks!
VIP

We take for granted we know the whole story

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2008, 02:42:16 PM »

here´s some  STP reunion pictures for anyone interested....

http://www.rollingstone.com/photos/gallery/20193462/stone_temple_pilots_reunion_annou

"I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE." Axl Rose, 1992
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2008, 03:12:23 PM »

Which is why he always talks about the albums being recorded in a month.

I love that aspect of the recordings, capture the moment and move forward.  I'd much rather have a musical snapshot of a moment in time than a documentary of of endless tinkering.

First take solos etc. Maybe thats why none stand up to his GNR work?

That's a matter of opinion, I'll take Slash's recent work with VR over anything he's done post AFD.  His playing (for me) is light years more focused and less self indulgent.  His playing serves the songs, way less repetive and predictable.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Feel_The_Burn
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2008, 03:51:14 PM »

Which is why he always talks about the albums being recorded in a month.

I love that aspect of the recordings, capture the moment and move forward.  I'd much rather have a musical snapshot of a moment in time than a documentary of of endless tinkering.

First take solos etc. Maybe thats why none stand up to his GNR work?

That's a matter of opinion, I'll take Slash's recent work with VR over anything he's done post AFD.  His playing (for me) is light years more focused and less self indulgent.  His playing serves the songs, way less repetive and predictable.

I agree and disagree. Being a musician the importance of recording and doing re takes is to get it to sound just as it's supposed to. A one take solo is basically jamming over the track and not actually crafting a solo. November Rain , Paradise City , Sweet Child I'm almost certain where all done hundreds of times. The only case I know about is KOHD where Slash said he tried something different and recording it. Live is where it is a capture of the moment , in the studio it should be worked with. Even AFD one of the rawest and "realist" albums was doing with multiple takes. As for his guitar work with VR as to Post AFD , ARE YOU CRAZY?! Did you forget Use Your Illusions?!?!?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: