Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 02, 2024, 10:50:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227992 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy for free?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy for free?  (Read 13386 times)
November_Rain
Loyal to death
VIP

The bittersweet honey of your eyes...

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 08:29:45 AM »

The album cost $13 million so this is an impossibility

How do you know?
Because he saw the bill hihi

Nobody will ever love you the way I do...
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 09:09:30 AM »

No cd's or albums should be free. If you're a professional artist and the masses like your music than as a fan we should buy the cd for the price. Why is it that music should be free for everyone while everything else you have to pay. We all have day jobs and night jobs. How would you feel if you worked somewhere for eight hours and didn't get paid for the labor and hard work you did? I seriously doubt any of you would go back to that place of employment. Well professional artists should be shown the same respect and get paid for the art they create. Weather it's with a Major label and they get a royalty or if they are with an indie label real good artist should be compensated for their art. Especially if it's great!!!!   Smiley

??

Who's gonna decide if an album is great for me?! Certainly not the "masses"

The Spice Girls sold millions of albums in the late 90's, and were loved by the "masses". But in my opinion, we who love great music/art should have gotten paid for being exposed to their music.

A lot of great musicians/bands make fantastic records, keep a dayjob and doesn't complain at all.....

There are creative ways for an album to be "free". Many of which have been suggested on this forum.

Prince gave away a shitload of albums in Britain (it was included in a newspaper), then held many concerts in London and sold advertising spaces to corporations at the venue and also gave away free albums to a lot of people who attended the gigs.

The fans got a good deal for minimal expences, and in the other end, Prince made millions out of concert and advertising incomes....

Not sure if Prince was under a record-contract during this stunt. But an artist signed to a label has the same oportunities to pull this of. You just have to "think outside the box", as they say...  Smiley

To think that an album, great or not, have to cost this or that is ancient thinking IMO.

Well I haven't heard of any bands that have a day job and have great music out there. If they are please list them:.........
Let alone selling and doing full blown concerts.
Nope. I disagree. Major rock groups who write the real good stuff should charge $15.00 a cd. It's a group and record company effort to launch a cd to the masses the professional way. It cost allot of money to promote and market a cd the right way. It's also a fortune today to tour for a band. You're forgetting the renting of the club, arena and what ever other places that can hold over 5,000 people.
Plus theirs the PA equipment, light show and roadies.......all this cost $$$$$$$.
We're talking here about the big time bands. I'm not talking about some weekend gig bands who have day jobs who play in bars that hold 100 to 300 people.
So this is why any cd that a major rock group puts out that has great material on it should not be given away for free. The music business needs to revert back to the "Old school of Rock". This modern thinking of selling cd's on the internet and duplicating them for the masses has got to go. Rock is about STICKING IT TO THE MAN who is manipulating the record business and Artists who want to right some excellent songs. These days everyone wants the artist to do everything. This is bullshit!!  A real artist should only concern themselves with making the art and having a half way decent management that gets them what they need without being screwed. This is the way it's suppose to be. I hope Axel and his group hold out for the best deal and make everyone wait until they learn that great rock music is delivered from great artists who write songs that many people pick-up on without shoving it down their fans throats. Like AC/DC once said: "For those who are about th rock. We salute you!!!"  ok
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 10:49:25 AM »

If I had known how much pleasure I'd have gotten out of Appetite For Destruction and the UYI albums before I purchased them I would have paid way way more than the going rate at the time.

As long as I can see the value in what I'm buying I'm happy to pay top whack. I think it would be really cool for GNR to offer fans the option to buy a limited edition super deluxe box set like NIN. Maybe this is something for Mysteron to ponder like he did with the pre-sale tickets.

Same with concerts really although I'm getting sick of not being able to buy tickets because of the online ticket touts

Here today...ready to rock
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2008, 11:23:01 AM »

The Spice Girls sold millions of albums in the late 90's, and were loved by the "masses". But in my opinion, we who love great music/art should have gotten paid for being exposed to their music.

ummm

The spice girls... actually had a couple decent pop songs. So don't be like the obvious rocker and say you didn't find any likeable or catchy...

I hate when people bash something to fit in. "Mama" and "2 Become 1" are great songs.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2008, 02:40:10 PM »

I'm not into the Spice Girls. What were they an industry group? If I'm going to listen to any female groups or singer it I would have to go with The Pretenders and Heart. Now these groups know how to rock.  smoking
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2008, 06:27:29 PM »

Why not just give away the album and let the "free" album be its own publicity?

Maybe because some people spent 14 millon dollars to get some profit from the album sells ?

ben9785
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2008, 06:59:30 PM »

But remember that based on what we've heard about multiple albums in the can, ultimately the 15 million budget or whatever wouldn't have just been for one album, but 4 or 5 albums of new material which are eventually going to all come out (hopefully).

I don't think there could be any harm in putting a song or five up for free download.

I do think that the fans need to be rewarded in some way for their patience. Sure, any album coming out at all is a gift, but I think there would be something as a thank you for the fans.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:12:57 AM by ben785 » Logged
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2008, 08:48:50 AM »

No cd's or albums should be free. If you're a professional artist and the masses like your music than as a fan we should buy the cd for the price. Why is it that music should be free for everyone while everything else you have to pay. We all have day jobs and night jobs. How would you feel if you worked somewhere for eight hours and didn't get paid for the labor and hard work you did? I seriously doubt any of you would go back to that place of employment. Well professional artists should be shown the same respect and get paid for the art they create. Weather it's with a Major label and they get a royalty or if they are with an indie label real good artist should be compensated for their art. Especially if it's great!!!!   Smiley

??

A lot of great musicians/bands make fantastic records, keep a dayjob and doesn't complain at all.....

There are creative ways for an album to be "free". Many of which have been suggested on this forum.

Prince gave away a shitload of albums in Britain (it was included in a newspaper), then held many concerts in London and sold advertising spaces to corporations at the venue and also gave away free albums to a lot of people who attended the gigs.

The fans got a good deal for minimal expences, and in the other end, Prince made millions out of concert and advertising incomes....

Not sure if Prince was under a record-contract during this stunt. But an artist signed to a label has the same oportunities to pull this of. You just have to "think outside the box", as they say...  Smiley

To think that an album, great or not, have to cost this or that is ancient thinking IMO.

Well I haven't heard of any bands that have a day job and have great music out there. If they are please list them:.........
Let alone selling and doing full blown concerts.
Nope. I disagree. Major rock groups who write the real good stuff should charge $15.00 a cd. It's a group and record company effort to launch a cd to the masses the professional way. It cost allot of money to promote and market a cd the right way. It's also a fortune today to tour for a band. You're forgetting the renting of the club, arena and what ever other places that can hold over 5,000 people.
Plus theirs the PA equipment, light show and roadies.......all this cost $$$$$$$.
We're talking here about the big time bands. I'm not talking about some weekend gig bands who have day jobs who play in bars that hold 100 to 300 people.
So this is why any cd that a major rock group puts out that has great material on it should not be given away for free. The music business needs to revert back to the "Old school of Rock". This modern thinking of selling cd's on the internet and duplicating them for the masses has got to go. Rock is about STICKING IT TO THE MAN who is manipulating the record business and Artists who want to right some excellent songs. These days everyone wants the artist to do everything. This is bullshit!!  A real artist should only concern themselves with making the art and having a half way decent management that gets them what they need without being screwed. This is the way it's suppose to be. I hope Axel and his group hold out for the best deal and make everyone wait until they learn that great rock music is delivered from great artists who write songs that many people pick-up on without shoving it down their fans throats. Like AC/DC once said: "For those who are about th rock. We salute you!!!"  ok

Like I said: To think that an album, great or not, have to cost this or that is ancient thinking IMO.

The way the music-buisness worked in the 80's and early 90's are never coming back! Sorry to be the one to break it to you!  ok

beer to you for being a nostalgic/retro person, wishing that things would go back to the way they were, but things move forward, that's just the way the world works. But I must admit, I often catch myself dreaming about something like that too... But that train has left....

Due to the music-buisness not being able to adjust quickly enough to the digital-age, we now have a situation where a videogame (GTA4) is the biggest selling entertainment product, youtube and myspace are the no.1 choice for unsigned bands/artist to get noticed. Very few bands are knocking down the doors of record-companies looking for a record-deal. And our old heroes are releasing new singles exclusively in videogames (GuitarHero and RockBand)

And these new ways of thinking (GuitarHero, RockBand, Youtube etc etc...), is the way things are going.

The first time you hear a new finished track from GN'R, is not going to be after waiting in line for hours at midnight outside of Tower Records. That was 1991!!
It's going to be driving around in your car listening to the radio in the next GTA-game, or listening exclusively on the band's myspace, or rocking out to it on GuitarHero 7, or downloading it for free from gunsnroses.com (or even here at HTGTH.com), etc etc etc etc

And the first time you see the new GN'R-video, is not gonna be after waiting for hours for Headbangers Ball to start on MTV.
It's going to be....eh..well....you know where to look now!  ok

And after a couple of weeks/months you jump in your car and spend the next hour or two driving to the nearest outlet that still sells CD's (how close is your nearest retailer that sells CD's exclusively?  nervous  Huh  Eastern Europe doesn't count) and you buy Chinese Democracy Part 1 for $3. Then there will be a tour in support of the album with huge attendence, and by that point the band/record-label will have made millions of $$$$ (wich will make YOU and the band happy). And when it's time for ChiDem Part 2 you will most likely get same procedure over again untill Part 4 is released.

By that point we will all have gotten one heck of GN'R-experience!! Yeah!!  ok

Oh I forgot: If you haven't heard any great bands/artists (that most likely keep a day-job), you also now know where to look....  hihi

"For those about the rock (among others!), we salute you!!"
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:57:36 AM by Naltav » Logged

Stavanger-rock-city!!
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2008, 09:10:38 AM »

ummm

The spice girls... actually had a couple decent pop songs. So don't be like the obvious rocker and say you didn't find any likeable or catchy...

I hate when people bash something to fit in. "Mama" and "2 Become 1" are great songs.

I just liked the girls back then.

It wasn't about the music, but about the videos Cheesy

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
EstrangedBrazil
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 09:46:55 AM »

ummm

i hated every single song those lhamas sang on. Can i bash it, not to fit in, but just cuz i didnt like it??  Tongue

Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 11:41:08 AM »

ummm

I saw the videos countless of times, and nobody was twisting my arm on that one. But for other reasons than the music yes
But as far as actually liking the songs, you're on your own... ok  sorry!

Kind regards,
Obvious Rocker

Stavanger-rock-city!!
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2008, 03:44:01 PM »

The way the music-buisness worked in the 80's and early 90's are never coming back! Sorry to be the one to break it to you! 

I'm laughing at this qoute!!! (Not at the person who wrote it. Just the above line).

For all musicians here do yourselvefs a real big favor. Go back to rockin' with blood, sweat and hard work as a band. Forget about the internet and You-tube. That's the lazy man's way of writing music. And if you need a lesson go rent School of Rock with Jack Black.
 rofl
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2008, 02:27:12 AM »

The way the music-buisness worked in the 80's and early 90's are never coming back! Sorry to be the one to break it to you! 

I'm laughing at this qoute!!! (Not at the person who wrote it. Just the above line).

Seems like you're totally missing my point.

For all musicians here do yourselvefs a real big favor. Go back to rockin' with blood, sweat and hard work as a band. Forget about the internet and You-tube. That's the lazy man's way of writing music.

Many bands and people I know, have spend a lot of time, effort and money playing gigs, recording demos and albums, even done tours in Europe and Asia. Travelling 5 guys through parts of Europe in one van, sleeping, eating, drinking and other band-related activities. That to me, seems like your idea (and mine..!) of blood, sweat and hard work.
Yet, they are smart enough to use the tools that modern technology has brought us... ok

And if you need a lesson go rent School of Rock with Jack Black.
 rofl

Huh  Huh Jack Black is the man!! But c'mon dude, are you 12 years old? Watch the movie again!!  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 02:31:36 AM by Naltav » Logged

Stavanger-rock-city!!
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2008, 03:15:48 AM »

I guess if you were 13, or 14 years old. I tolerated them ... because I had tween girls; otherwise, ...

On topic:

I don't download, but I recognize that most do. The industry has to wake up, if it is to survive.

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Bitch Slap Rappin
Rocker

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2008, 09:08:09 AM »

Seems like you're totally missing my point.

For all musicians here do yourselvefs a real big favor. Go back to rockin' with blood, sweat and hard work as a band. Forget about the internet and You-tube. That's the lazy man's way of writing music.

Many bands and people I know, have spend a lot of time, effort and money playing gigs, recording demos and albums, even done tours in Europe and Asia. Travelling 5 guys through parts of Europe in one van, sleeping, eating, drinking and other band-related activities. That to me, seems like your idea (and mine..!) of blood, sweat and hard work.
Yet, they are smart enough to use the tools that modern technology has brought us... ok

And if you need a lesson go rent School of Rock with Jack Black.
 rofl

Huh  Huh Jack Black is the man!! But c'mon dude, are you 12 years old? Watch the movie again!!  Roll Eyes

Look I'm not here to start an endless argument with you. I'm just here to remind you and everyone else that good music has a very high price to pay. For me today's modern music is not cutting it for me. Now I'm not going to put it down because obviously there are people you do like it. But it's not doing it for me and I don't think any of these groups are making a real knock-out impression were they are going to be remembered 50 years from now. But I believe Guns and Axel have and will continue to. They made a lasting impression and people are going to be listening to G&R cd's 50 years from now. That's what I'm talking and trying to get across here. The world needs this and the music scene needs this. We need about ten or twelve new rock groups that make a fantastic impression upon the world. What is so wrong with that?  smoking
SkinnyPuppy
Rocker

What, me Worry ?

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2008, 09:21:06 AM »

Id rather get gashed in the eye with a splintered log than accept a free copy of CD

Wounds heal, chicks dig scars, and glory, glory lasts forever. (falco)
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2008, 04:35:50 AM »

Here's the thing...album sales are in the toilet.  The two biggest selling albums of last year are Josh Groban and High school Musical.  and neither album broke the 3 million mark.  GNR sold more albums in 1988 than the top five albums of 2007 combined.

If GNR were to release an album today...realistically, they might go platinum.  Double platinum if the album is really good.  But chances are, most people won't care.  Tweens are buying High School Musical...adults have moved onto Groban.  If a new GNR album comes out...who is going to buy it?  All of us on this board are not a good measuring stick...our impulses are irrelevant.  We're fans...otherwise we wouldn't be here.

You'll probably get some older fans taking a chance on the new material.  But anyone who is new to the band will likely download the album for free...if at all. 

If you're the label, giving out the album for free may be the best publicity you can buy.  Chinese Democracy is the most famous unreleased album of all time.  If the band/label were to up and give it away for free...can you imagine the publicity that would come with it?  Every music mag would write about it.  It would be all over the blogs...on the radio...MTV...etc.

But this is GNR/Geffen's big trick...only the first Chi Dem is free...once they get everyone hooked, they release the other 2/3 albums for a charge.  at this point, hopefully, they've locked in a huge legion of new fans who will be hungry for new material and gladly willing to pay for it.

If sales for the first CD are mediocre...then the second and third will not improve...they will likely go down.  Why not use the first CD as free advertising for the next two?

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
Naltav
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2008, 08:44:52 AM »

Here's the thing...album sales are in the toilet.  The two biggest selling albums of last year are Josh Groban and High school Musical.  and neither album broke the 3 million mark.  GNR sold more albums in 1988 than the top five albums of 2007 combined.

If GNR were to release an album today...realistically, they might go platinum.  Double platinum if the album is really good.  But chances are, most people won't care.  Tweens are buying High School Musical...adults have moved onto Groban.  If a new GNR album comes out...who is going to buy it?  All of us on this board are not a good measuring stick...our impulses are irrelevant.  We're fans...otherwise we wouldn't be here.

You'll probably get some older fans taking a chance on the new material.  But anyone who is new to the band will likely download the album for free...if at all. 

If you're the label, giving out the album for free may be the best publicity you can buy.  Chinese Democracy is the most famous unreleased album of all time.  If the band/label were to up and give it away for free...can you imagine the publicity that would come with it?  Every music mag would write about it.  It would be all over the blogs...on the radio...MTV...etc.

But this is GNR/Geffen's big trick...only the first Chi Dem is free...once they get everyone hooked, they release the other 2/3 albums for a charge.  at this point, hopefully, they've locked in a huge legion of new fans who will be hungry for new material and gladly willing to pay for it.

If sales for the first CD are mediocre...then the second and third will not improve...they will likely go down.  Why not use the first CD as free advertising for the next two?

Sounds like the right route to take!

Around the same time as the free 1st album, they could use the new mediums, like exclusive tracks to Guitar Hero etc etc, free videos for download on their website etc etc...

If Guns/Geffen release the ChiDem-albums only as standard old fashion CD's, I'm pretty sure it's doomed to "fail"....

If a new GNR album comes out...who is going to buy it?  All of us on this board are not a good measuring stick...our impulses are irrelevant.  We're fans...otherwise we wouldn't be here.

Agree!
I've said this before..... Some of us on the boards are acting like we're an army of millions!! We should wake up!! We're only a bird's poop in the ocean!!  hihi
But some of us are acting like jerks with Axl-like-egos, demanding updates on every little event in the lives of the bandmembers.

For this album to atract the attendion it deserves, it has got to be an untraditional album-launch. There are countless of creative ways for Geffen/Interscope/Universal to make their money. And I'm sure that's what their planning and putting together right now.....

Stavanger-rock-city!!
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2008, 04:01:02 PM »

They could release it on their website and Dr Pepper's website.  Think about it ? you get a free Dr Pepper when its released, you could go download it for a charge when u go get your coupon for a free pepper at their website.  That way you can download it for free and then when they release it traditionally I would mark it at 9.99 and have a Dr Pepper sponsored tour in support of the album.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2008, 04:13:05 PM »

If a new GNR album comes out...who is going to buy it?

Maybe some of the same people who buy rock CDs and attend concerts?

Or they think they can get it for free like the first album.....

I think this is the issue the record companies and artists are trying to figure out.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: