Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:43:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227808 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Deanna Adler's Book 'Sweet Child of Mine: How I Lost My Son to Guns N? Roses'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deanna Adler's Book 'Sweet Child of Mine: How I Lost My Son to Guns N? Roses'  (Read 44323 times)
pugdog1987
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 11:27:39 AM »

Steven and his mother had been trying to get someone to help write this book since at least 1996.  They then got Brooke to write it for them a few years ago and who knows what happened since then.  I agree, his mom is a piece of work, but it is also true that Steven blames everyone else and everything else for his problems.  I am sad for him that he and his people have agreed to let him go back out on the road - bad, bad place for him and his sobriety, if he is even still sober. 
r3dhawk6
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 03:49:29 PM »

I'm not either.  Its shameless on her part.  Steven obviously has deep, personal, painful issues from his childhood.  Where was she then?  If she wants to help him, she would help him resolve the past.  She owes him that, and he deserves that.  His addiction is so ingrained in who he is.  He needs to revisit his chilhood, and start his life over again.  He uses such bad judgement for an adult because he is still basically12 years old.  He seems like he could be talked into anything - including trusting his mom enough to write a book with him, or about him.  I'm glad he is working and its important for him to feel productive and worthy.  But I agree being out on the road is probably not safe.  He needs a sober coach with him and to surround himself with good people who sincerely care about his welfare. 
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2010, 03:10:28 PM »

According to this report in the Las Vegas Review-Journal, it will be release on Mothers Day (May 8th) 2011.

Oct. 22, 2010

Las Vegas resident Deanna Adler's book about her son, Steven Adler, original drummer and co-founder of Guns N' Roses, is coming out on Mother's Day. It's well-timed and well-titled: "Sweet Child of Mine." His book, "My Appetite for Destruction: Sex, Drugs, and Guns N' Roses," came out a couple months ago.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/-the-tell--kicks-off-storytelling-today-105511083.html?ref=083

It will be available from HarperCollins.

Sweet Child Of Mine: A Memoir of Steven Adler

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:37:35 PM by FunkyMonkey » Logged

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2010, 06:35:27 PM »

STEVEN ADLER's Mother To Release 'Sweet Child Of Mine' Tell-All Book - Oct. 23, 2010

HarperCollins is tentatively scheduled to release "Sweet Child Of Mine" (formerly "No Bed Of Roses"), the much-anticipated tell-all book from Deanna Adler ? the mother of original GUNS N' ROSES drummer Steven Adler ? in May/June 2011 (exact date to be announced). The book reportedly documents the rise of Deanna Adler's son "in the most exciting rock band of all time."

Deanna Adler appeared on the second season of "Celebrity Rehab With Dr. Drew", on which Steven was a cast member. During the season's episode five, Dr. Drew, Dr. Sophy and Steven sat down for a meeting with Deanna in a what was described as "a tense whirlwind of accusations, denials and resentment. Steven is so flustered that he storms out of the room, leaving the many issues between he and Deanna unresolved, possibly forever."

You can see Deanna Adler's appearance on "Celebrity Rehab" at this location. (Deanna Adler first appears around the 19-minute mark.)

Photos/link here: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=148179

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 12:24:03 PM »

Here's the new title to the book, and cover, plus an interview with Deanna Adler:

Sweet Child Of Mine ? A Candid Conversation with Deanna Adler

http://www.lavocelasvegas.com/006-sweet-child-of-mine-a-candid-converstation-with-deanna-adler-part-i/

Book cover and description:

Sweet Child of Mine: How I Lost My Son to Guns N? Roses

http://harpercollinscatalogs.com/harper/539_2005_323937303139.htm#readmore

Doofey
Headliner

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 02:29:38 PM »

I don't think Steven Adler's Mom's book would be interesting at all.

She had no direct contact with the band, only Steven. Her only inside knowledge on GNR would be what he told her and we've already had his book.
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 01:18:05 AM »

The book's not about GnR.  It's about her struggles as a mom with a drug addicted son.
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 10:40:08 AM »

I think It will be an intersting read, I'm curious!!!

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
One.In.A.Million
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 04:28:04 PM »

I love Steven, but it seems like his mother is trying to make abit of cash here. Even Adler said himself, that his mother kicked him out of the house when he was like 11.

Seems like Guns N' Roses saved Adler, so that title makes me cringe.

And I don't think Adler would dispute the fact that his mother wasn't the best parent when he was a kid. Just listen to any recent interview with Stern, and they both discuss with Chip Z Nuff how his mother kicked him out and he had to go to live with his Grandmother.

And what makes me angry is that you can bet Adler has helped his mother out financially since his fame with GN'R. So yeah, that quote from his mother is just stupid.

GN'R's fame meant that Adler was responsible for his actions more than he would have been just on the street. And GN'Rs firmness is what got him kicked out of the band, so can you imagine what would have happened to Steven if he was just a regular, homeless, junkie.

Thank God Steven Adler was in Guns N' Roses.  ok
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:34:35 PM by One.In.A.Million » Logged
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »

I love Steven, but it seems like his mother is trying to make abit of cash here. Even Adler said himself, that his mother kicked him out of the house when he was like 11.

Seems like Guns N' Roses saved Adler, so that title makes me cringe.

And I don't think Adler would dispute the fact that his mother wasn't the best parent when he was a kid. Just listen to any recent interview with Stern, and they both discuss with Chip Z Nuff how his mother kicked him out and he had to go to live with his Grandmother.

And what makes me angry is that you can bet Adler has helped his mother out financially since his fame with GN'R. So yeah, that quote from his mother is just stupid.

GN'R's fame meant that Adler was responsible for his actions more than he would have been just on the street. And GN'Rs firmness is what got him kicked out of the band, so can you imagine what would have happened to Steven if he was just a regular, homeless, junkie.

Thank God Steven Adler was in Guns N' Roses.  ok

Well said.  The title blaming "Guns N Roses" is pretty bad.  I still feel for the poor woman, as it must have been hell for her.  The story is probably really depressing, so I might skip this book.  It could be interesting though to hear it from a different perspective than Adler.   Steven seems to have a love/hate relationship with her from what I understand...and Axl wasn't too fond of her in his 2008 chats.   

Adler's book "My Appetite For Self Destruction" was great though.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:27:39 PM by Trist805 » Logged
Doofey
Headliner

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »

I'm not sure I feel sorry for her. She seemed really cold and unloving when she was on Celebrity Rehab.

I wonder if she'll be making another appearance this time around to promote her book?
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2011, 05:57:28 PM »

The second part of Deanna Adler's interview has been posted.  She talks about GN'R and what Steven was like after he was fired from the band.

http://www.lavocelasvegas.com/007-la-voce-las-vegas-sweet-child-of-mine-deanna-adler-part-ii/

From the book description:

During the last quarter century, Deanna Adler kept her diaries, journals, and personal letters, as well as a dozen scrapbooks and hundreds of photographs, putting them aside for safekeeping. Sweet Child of Mine is her stunning book about raising her son, Steven Adler, the drummer for Guns N? Roses, and the travails of keeping him alive and herself sane.

Deanna?s son has had a turbulent life in Guns N? Roses and afterward; he struggled with drug addiction, financial ruin after being kicked out of Guns N? Roses, and health problems that almost claimed his life several times?two heart attacks, a suicide attempt, and a debilitating stroke. Now, he appears to have finally beaten his epic twenty-year addiction to crack and heroin. But through it all, his mother was by his side. Deanna offers a window into the world of rock?n?roll and addiction while at the same time providing deep insights into her son?s tortured years.

These are the memoirs of a mother?s love for an infamous son whose phenomenal success is only surpassed by his astounding capacity for self destruction. Her pages are filled with moments of profound joy and crippling heartbreak. Sweet Child of Mine will inform and inspire others to find the strength to help their loved ones.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 09:34:34 PM »

Steven Adler:

Congrats to my mom for signing her book deal just now. "Sweet Child of Mine" will be in the stores in April. http://lockerz.com/s/178002359

26 Jan via UberSocial for BlackBerry

LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2012, 11:23:14 AM »

Steven Adler:

Congrats to my mom for signing her book deal just now. "Sweet Child of Mine" will be in the stores in April. http://lockerz.com/s/178002359

26 Jan via UberSocial for BlackBerry

Piss on your mom's stupid book

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
new gnr fan
Headliner

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2012, 12:49:43 PM »

This book reminds me somehow of both AC/DC songs "Moneytalks" and "Money Made"   hihi ... if you know what i mean...

枪和玫瑰 中國民主
lynn1961
Jaded Cupcake
Legend

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2012, 12:45:46 AM »

I have been looking forward to this book.  Glad to see it might finally be released.  I want to hear her side of what it was like to have a son like Adler. 
Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2012, 09:39:28 PM »

I guess the co-author is Larry Spanglenoli (sp?).  I wonder if that one poster will come on here and claim that he ripped him off for this book too?  Tongue
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 12:24:48 PM »

Looks like this is it...it's actually being released through 4th Street Media.  Pre-order your copy here:

http://sweetchildbook.com/

Sweet Child of Mine

By Deanna Adler

Sweet Child of Mine:  How I Lost My Son to Guns N' Roses is the story of Deanna Adler, mother of legendary rock star and original G N' R drummer Steven Adler.  Deanna gives an honest and revealing look into a life beset by abuse and betrayal and what it was like raising a child who became a member of one of the greatest rock bands in history, and a heroin addict of equally epic proportions.  The book emotionally and enthrallingly details a mother's love for her infamous son, whose phenomenal success is surpassed only by his astounding capacity for self-destruction.

Sweet Child of Mine is the universal journey of a mother's devotion to her child, filled with moments of both profound joy and crippling heartache.  Deanna takes readers on a roller coaster ride through raising a troubled young boy who ultimately reached the pinnacle of fame and success, only to then be publicly branded a junkie and kicked out of his band in front of a television audience of millions; go on to endure continuing addiction, legal battles, financial ruin, two heart attacks, multiple suicide attempts, a debilitating stroke, and numerous stints in rehab.  But it is her courage and indomitable spirit that both educates and inspires, as she is living proof that devotion to family, a sense of humor, and faith in a higher power are the foundations for achieving peace and purpose in life.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 12:41:39 PM »

^^From 4th Street Media:

Official release date is April 5th, we start shipping pre-orders and preview copies in a couple weeks.

NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 02:50:21 PM »

I'm surprised either of them know how to read or write.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: