Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:36:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Deanna Adler's Book 'Sweet Child of Mine: How I Lost My Son to Guns N? Roses'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deanna Adler's Book 'Sweet Child of Mine: How I Lost My Son to Guns N? Roses'  (Read 43964 times)
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2012, 01:50:56 PM »

You're pointlessly arguing semantics again.

If you know what the word means, and you use it in an incorrect way, then the word loses it's meaning.

I'll restate what I said above, arguing over what the word original means is frivolous.  Here, I'll put it in context, Steven Adler is the original drummer who wrote and recorded with Guns N Roses.  He is the original drummer who toured with them DURING and AFTER the release of their debut EP and album.  For those reasons, people refer to him as the ORIGINAL drummer.  That's the way it is with most bands, including the Beatles.  Regardless of what Wikipedia says, Ringo Starr will ALWAYS be remembered as the Beatles' original drummer, unless you ask someone who's just intent on stating "facts" for no apparent reason or arguing for the sake of it.

Just pointing out FACTS.

To what point and purpose?  I must've missed something in the original poster's message, I didn't realize a debate about the meaning of the term "original" was included in a post about Deanna Adler's book.

The first person to asininely claim Steven wasn't an "original" member added nothing to the discussion other than an irrelevant post sparking an irrelevant debate.  Not only irrelevant to this thread, but irrelevant to GNR history.  Like I said above, few people remember Rob Gardner, and even fewer care.  When people purchased Appetite (or even Live Like a Suicide) it was Steven's photo they saw in there.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 01:53:35 PM by Bridge » Logged
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2012, 01:58:52 PM »

Bridge, you just nailed it in the last two posts man, you'r one smart dude. Perfectly said.   
dont_damn_me
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2012, 02:05:38 PM »

Could you imagine being on "who wants to be a millionaire" and the last million dollar question is , "who was the original drummer for Guns n Roses"...you answer Steven Adler!!!!!! and loose....lol. i guess technically you would too!
Bridge
Legend

We play rock n roll to kick your ass.

« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »

Could you imagine being on "who wants to be a millionaire" and the last million dollar question is , "who was the original drummer for Guns n Roses"...you answer Steven Adler!!!!!! and loose....lol. i guess technically you would too!

Or imagine if Rob Gardner went around telling people he was an original member of GNR.  He'd get laughed right off the street -- including by people who know who he is!  I'd probably laugh and say "Wow, it sure sucks to be you, pal!"
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2012, 02:11:41 PM »

Steven Adler is the original drummer who wrote and recorded with Guns N Roses.  He is the original drummer who toured with them DURING and AFTER the release of their debut EP and album.  For those reasons, people refer to him as the ORIGINAL drummer.  That's the way it is with most bands, including the Beatles.  Regardless of what Wikipedia says, Ringo Starr will ALWAYS be remembered as the Beatles' original drummer, unless you ask someone who's just intent on stating "facts" for no apparent reason or arguing for the sake of it.

Just because somebody is being remembered or labeled as something doesn't mean it's technically right.

Nobody's taking anything away from poor Steven here, just stating that GN'R had a drummer at first who didn't last long.

What's wrong with sticking to facts and not trying to rewrite history?  

So he didn't start the band, he joined a band that existed before him. That doesn't take anything away from his contributions on the albums.

Smiley

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2012, 02:43:32 PM »

That's the way it is with most bands, including the Beatles.  Regardless of what Wikipedia says, Ringo Starr will ALWAYS be remembered as the Beatles' original drummer, unless you ask someone who's just intent on stating "facts" for no apparent reason or arguing for the sake of it.

If Ringo is the original drummer (even though The Beatles had been an active, touring group for 2 years prior to him joining), then where exactly does Pete Best fit into the history of The Beatles? or Stuart Sutcliffe for that matter?

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
raindogs70
Rocker

« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2012, 07:38:43 AM »

Bill Wyman wasn't the original bassist in the Rolling Stones (Dick Taylor was), Charlie Watts was the last to join (Mick Avory - known as the Kinks drummer, and Tony Chapman had preceded him), and Ian Stewart was the keyboardist, but "looked too old", but he stayed a part of the Stones in the studio and on the Tattoo You tour, but had been their road manager and occasional session pianist. They ran all their songs by him for feedback up to Dirty Work. 

The Stones fans actually did care that Ian was an original Stone only because that was Andrew Loog Oldham's call.

The Stones included Stu in the Rock Hall induction as a band member, and could argue in his case, because he had been on RS albums over the years.

Pete Best was featured on Anthology, the story's been told, and speaks volumes that Paul has never reached out to Pete in 50 years. Even just to show up and play as guest musician for a day? To me, it was up to Paul and Brian Epstein as to why he was kicked out.

There is one similarity - Adler getting the attention from the girls, as did Pete, being a bone of contention between people in the band. No one specific, but silly things like that can cause problems.

The Rock Hall had a rule that you go by lineup - first single or first album as a band, they didn't count "My Bonnie".  Ian could be included because he was a part of the Stones for 20 years or so. Pete should've been included on Anthology in the interviews and did something where they got Paul, George, and Pete in the same room and talked about it.
NaturalLight
Rocker

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2012, 08:10:01 PM »

Not to be a dick, but I thought everyone knew that Ringo wasn't the Beatles original drummer. Pete Best's story is somewhat legendary (in that he got screwed).

By the way, Neil Pert isn't Rush's original drummer. rofl

Heh.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2012, 08:48:09 PM »

The release date of this book has been moved yet again.  confused  It will now be out on August 28th.

Official Sweet Child of Mine Excerpt

?Steven was, in every way, the worst kind of drug abuser addicted to the worst drugs, crack cocaine and heroin. He had an incredibly resilient constitution that allowed him to recover from the most debilitating overdose in record time. He was surrounded by losers and sycophants who would do anything he asked of them. He had a substantial, constant source of income from his music royalties. And his disease left him bereft of conscience; he did not care what he did to himself or to others. Steven did not care if he lived or died; that responsibility fell to his family.?

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2012, 11:27:47 AM »

The release date of this book has been moved yet again.  confused  It will now be out on August 28th.

?Steven was, in every way, the worst kind of drug abuser addicted to the worst drugs, crack cocaine and heroin. He had an incredibly resilient constitution that allowed him to recover from the most debilitating overdose in record time. He was surrounded by losers and sycophants who would do anything he asked of them. He had a substantial, constant source of income from his music royalties. And his disease left him bereft of conscience; he did not care what he did to himself or to others. Steven did not care if he lived or died; that responsibility fell to his family.?

I'm having difficulty reconciling both the above excerpt with the title of the book, and the mere concept of "losing (her) son to Guns N' Roses".  Seems to me that if anything, Steven lost himself to drugs and that bringing Guns N' Roses in the title of the book was just a way for Ms. Adler to get her book more attention. Roll Eyes

Ali
hitmanhart408
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2012, 12:48:52 PM »

I found the above excerpt to be terribly written
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2012, 01:34:21 PM »

Some comments on the new release date here:

Tell-All Book From STEVEN ADLER's Mother Pushed Back To August - July 1, 2012

"Sweet Child Of Mine: How I Lost My Son to Guns N' Roses" (formerly "No Bed Of Roses"), the long-awaited tell-all book from Deanna Adler, the mother of original GUNS N' ROSES drummer Steven Adler, has had its release date pushed back to August 28 from the previously announced April 5 (via 4th Street Media).

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=176157

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2012, 12:41:36 AM »

I'm having difficulty reconciling both the above excerpt with the title of the book, and the mere concept of "losing (her) son to Guns N' Roses".  Seems to me that if anything, Steven lost himself to drugs and that bringing Guns N' Roses in the title of the book was just a way for Ms. Adler to get her book more attention. Roll Eyes

Ali

This is how the book/entertainment business works

libertad
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2012, 05:00:51 PM »

Plus if you read Slash's book, he and Steven were fucking around with drugs long before Guns N Roses got started. I'm sure becoming a rock star (and then becoming not a rock star) didn't help though.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2012, 06:32:49 PM »

Ali

No shit, but that doesn't make it any more honest than it actually is:  not at all. 

Ali
Limulus
Legend

A dream realized...

« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2012, 03:04:06 AM »

well, might be crap but we dont know yet. add that we dont have to buy and/or read it.

still she has a point with loosing her son to Guns - as Adler will always be connected with GN'R cause of being on Appetite and being in the band for the rising of GN'R. about any interview by Adler he is talking about Guns.....so there still is some form of obsession/addiction to that band which she might think ruined his life big time. usually mothers do care about her sons, right?

Re-Union time, baby!!
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2012, 07:57:50 AM »

Ali

No shit, but that doesn't make it any more honest than it actually is:  not at all. 

Ali

You read the book?

libertad
Fingers
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2012, 08:04:55 AM »

If you're looking for honesty in the entertainment world, best of luck.

libertad
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: