Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 07:11:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228026 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  Tennis Thread - Official
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tennis Thread - Official  (Read 95820 times)
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 04:46:33 PM »

I dont know who the more heartless player is between Andy Roddick or Andy Murray

I bet on a Tennis Parlay and Guess who I fucked up and took and lost with? Andy Murray

Heartless?.... another 5 set comeback from Murray.

He is the 4th Best in the world right now. Warinka next will be tough.... but i think we could see Murray in the Semis or better this year

I'm Gonna Buy A Gun And Start A War
If You Can Tell Me Something Worth Fighting For
[/color]

Get on your Dancing Shoes
Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2008, 04:57:08 PM »

I dont know who the more heartless player is between Andy Roddick or Andy Murray

I bet on a Tennis Parlay and Guess who I fucked up and took and lost with? Andy Murray

He is the 4th Best in the world right now. Warinka next will be tough.... but i think we could see Murray in the Semis or better this year
Helluva good match, I don't know whether it was just cramp, but if anyone was heartless towards the end it was Melzer.
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2008, 05:15:45 PM »

Helluva good match, I don't know whether it was just cramp, but if anyone was heartless towards the end it was Melzer.

Calling Murray Heartless is like Calling Nadal lazy.... its just the opposite of them. If Murray was heartless he would be out of the top ten, i think his heart and fight is his best quality. He isn't as talented as the top 3 and even someothers out there but his determination is brilliant.

[/color]

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008, 03:02:11 PM »

Federer looking good against Stepanek today.... looking back to his best. I've watched all 3 big names now and i have to say i thinkn Federer has been the most impressive

[/color]

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 08:53:10 PM »

Federer looking good against Stepanek today.... looking back to his best. I've watched all 3 big names now and i have to say i thinkn Federer has been the most impressive
Definately agree, he's looked the best, out of them, so far.

Outside of them, Robredo has really impressed me.  Seems really mentally strong, down against Safin he came back with ease and against an admittedly poor Tsonga tonight, he never wavered, not even in the first set when Tsonga seemed to be coming back into it, he kept on him and never looked to be struggling, it was one of those games where nearly every shot he hit payed off.  Not just that though he worked his ass off, really good to see, I think he might do really well.

That Japanese Wonderkid had my favourite match so far against Ferrer, awesome stuff to see, especially when he looked pretty much done in the 4th...

.....so far this has been a really enjoyable open to watch, the Women's as well has kept my attention to.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 05:55:47 AM »

I doubt he will get past the semis. He's on the same draw as Nadal so eventhough this is not Nadal's favorite court, Murray is not the biggest thread for him.

Actually, I dont even think Murray will even get to the semis. He'll be facing the red hot Juan del Potro. I hope I'm wrong, but Del Potro will defeat Murray and will face Nadal in the semis. I wish it was Murray instead of the argentinian just because Andy's game is more suitable for Nadal than Del Potro's.

Outside of them, Robredo has really impressed me.  Seems really mentally strong, down against Safin he came back with ease and against an admittedly poor Tsonga tonight, he never wavered, not even in the first set when Tsonga seemed to be coming back into it, he kept on him and never looked to be struggling, it was one of those games where nearly every shot he hit payed off.  Not just that though he worked his ass off, really good to see, I think he might do really well.

Yeah, me too. Specially beating Tsonga so easily. To be fair, the frenchman has been out since May and he's played only a few matches, but Tommy really put out a great performance. Good Win for him. He's up against the Djoker in the quaters...I dont think he's got a chance there..but will see.

And Fedex has played well so far. Truthis though, the first few rounds were pretty easy for him, not real strong opponents. With Stepanek, you never know, but it doesnt look like he was in the same shape as he'd been earlier this year. He's up against the heavy hitter Andreev. Federer should win easily though, Igor just doesnt have the mind game for tennis. Too bad, I wish he had Davidenko's brain instead.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 06:04:03 AM by Ignatius » Logged
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 06:50:15 AM »

I doubt he will get past the semis. He's on the same draw as Nadal so eventhough this is not Nadal's favorite court, Murray is not the biggest thread for him.

Actually, I dont even think Murray will even get to the semis. He'll be facing the red hot Juan del Potro. I hope I'm wrong, but Del Potro will defeat Murray and will face Nadal in the semis. I wish it was Murray instead of the argentinian just because Andy's game is more suitable for Nadal than Del Potro's.

Yeah its gonna be tough but if someone can break him down its Murray. I watched that Del Potro guy and what a player he looks on that form. I'm really hoping for a Nadal vs Murray semi. Whatever happens there... it will be great

Nadal has been the least impressive out of the top 3 for me. He struggled with Querrey and if Querrey was half decent he would have been 2 sets to 1 down but Querrey threw it away. You can never doubt Nadal's quality and i certainly wouldn't write him off but he has looked out of sorts against some very average players and i think better players will punish him if he plays like that.

[/color]

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 09:18:45 AM »

Nadal has been the least impressive out of the top 3 for me. He struggled with Querrey and if Querrey was half decent he would have been 2 sets to 1 down but Querrey threw it away. You can never doubt Nadal's quality and i certainly wouldn't write him off but he has looked out of sorts against some very average players and i think better players will punish him if he plays like that.

Yeap, I agree to some extent. Nadal defeated Troicki in the third round though easily. Sure he ain't a top 10 material, but he's played well in the US open series tournaments. I thought Rafa was going to struggle more against the serb.

Against Querry, you are right, Nadal looked tired. Footwork wasnt there and it you take that away from him, Nadal turns then to an average player. However, he was ripping it at the beginning with 6-2 and 4-2. Then, he blew it all away. The wind also picked up a little, and Rafa played the worst game of the match at 5-4 with serve.  Since then, he really played badly. He walked away with the match cause Nadal does the things you need to do in order to win matches...those small insignifcant details that no ones ever sees or notices but are decissive in tennis. Nadal hit less winners than Querry but almost as many UE..but he walked away victorious.

Nadal needs to gear his game up a little if he wants to beat Fish. The American is desperate to do well here. Sure will be a touch match for Rafa since Mardy has a good serve, volley and solid grounstrokes. However, if Nadal is fit, he should win it. (regardless of how good he plays).

On a side note,  If any of you are into tennis gambling, bet 2 units for Del Potro against Murray. Great value! (sorry Gnrfan...I do like Murray, but Potro has a chance)

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 10:45:20 AM »

Yeap, I agree to some extent. Nadal defeated Troicki in the third round though easily. Sure he ain't a top 10 material, but he's played well in the US open series tournaments. I thought Rafa was going to struggle more against the serb.

Against Querry, you are right, Nadal looked tired. Footwork wasnt there and it you take that away from him, Nadal turns then to an average player. However, he was ripping it at the beginning with 6-2 and 4-2. Then, he blew it all away. The wind also picked up a little, and Rafa played the worst game of the match at 5-4 with serve.  Since then, he really played badly. He walked away with the match cause Nadal does the things you need to do in order to win matches...those small insignifcant details that no ones ever sees or notices but are decissive in tennis. Nadal hit less winners than Querry but almost as many UE..but he walked away victorious.

Nadal needs to gear his game up a little if he wants to beat Fish. The American is desperate to do well here. Sure will be a touch match for Rafa since Mardy has a good serve, volley and solid grounstrokes. However, if Nadal is fit, he should win it. (regardless of how good he plays).

On a side note,  If any of you are into tennis gambling, bet 2 units for Del Potro against Murray. Great value! (sorry Gnrfan...I do like Murray, but Potro has a chance)

No i agree with you. Murray has put pressure on himself to reach the semi's and Del Potro is playing as good as anyone out there at the moment should be a cracker.

nadal will batter fish simply coz Fish will try and make the points short by coming to net and Nadal is a great passer and i think Nadal will have a shit load of winners and with the limited unforced errors Nadal usually makes thats gonna be too strong.

I think everyone wants a Nadal vs Murray & Federer vs Djokovic semi final line up

[/color]

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 08:48:49 PM »

Jesus. Federer vs Andreev.... What a Match.

I mean Andreev for near enough 2 sets was unplayable.... but FedEX found a way in the end. But it could have gone either way.

He'll need to play better to win it but coming through matches like that just like Djokovic did is what champions are made of.

[/color]

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2008, 07:34:47 AM »

Jesus. Federer vs Andreev.... What a Match.

I mean Andreev for near enough 2 sets was unplayable.... but FedEX found a way in the end. But it could have gone either way.

He'll need to play better to win it but coming through matches like that just like Djokovic did is what champions are made of.

My Canal + box is down, so I have to watch some of the matches online. I couldnt watch any of the matches from yesterday, just the highlghts.

Fedex came back strong. I knew he was going to havea touch match IF Andreev had one of his good days. What I never expected is Robredo pushing the Djoker to the limit. I expected an easy three set win for the serb, but not a 5 setter.

I'm happy both players (Roger and Novak) advanced though. I can't wait to watch Roddick Vs Novak in the quaters, what a match will that be. I predict an upset for Novak. Roddick in 5 sets will come as a winner. Federer will defeat this Muller guy (he defeated Nadal in Wimbledon 2005) in three sets. Although Muller beat Davidenko pretty easily, I dont' think he's gota a chance against the swiss.

I'm worried about Rafa though. I think this is it for him. I read an interview today with Toni (his uncle and coach). Nadal's match against Querry was a worrying sign that things are not really on his side. He's played probably more than 25 matches than any other tennis court this season...he's just running out of gas phisycally and mentally. Toni said Nadal is not even close to 70% of his condition right now, so I believe this could be the end of the season for him unless he really takes some time off after the US open.

Time will tell, but I dont think Nadal has anything left for him this year. I think he won't win any more tournaments until 2009.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2008, 07:53:56 AM »

This is really entertaining!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muM-UQc_Tnk

Watch an earlier match between del Potro Vs Murray. Bad blood between the two,...

Del Potro trying to him Murray in the head, Murray complaining, Del Potro talking about murray's mother...All while they were seating down om game exchanges!

Hammy
Tikka to Ride
Legend

Who?

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 08:03:27 AM »

Watch an earlier match between del Potro Vs Murray. Bad blood between the two,...

Del Potro trying to him Murray in the head, Murray complaining, Del Potro talking about murray's mother...All while they were seating down om game exchanges!

I like how the ref tells Murray to calm down and he'll speak to Del Potro and then he pretty much says the same thing to Del Potro, I was expecting at least a slightly more sizeable bollocking.  Good to see this though, it was annoying me when they were talking about this earlier in the week but not showing us any clips of it.

Speaking of Murray, since Davydenko and Ferrer are gone I read he'll definately become #4 in the World now.
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 08:14:44 AM »

Do you know whats brilliant about this US Open. Is all the top players (Nadal, Djokovic, Federer & Murray) have struggled at some point and found ways to win while playing badly. No one is going out there and dominating, making us think ..... this guy is a sure thing. Anything seems possible.

DavyDenko was coasting in this tournament and then BANG! he's out. Federer & Nadal both would be out if they had been playing someone better i think. Murray, Djokovic & Federer all have scrapped through in 5 set matches that could have gone either way. Brillliant entertainment!

My Canal + box is down, so I have to watch some of the matches online. I couldnt watch any of the matches from yesterday, just the highlghts.

Fedex came back strong. I knew he was going to havea touch match IF Andreev had one of his good days. What I never expected is Robredo pushing the Djoker to the limit. I expected an easy three set win for the serb, but not a 5 setter.

Yeah Andreev was just incredible for 2 sets. he served so well and at time Federer was looking like a defeated man. Then Federer comes out and makes Andreev look average for 2 sets and then in the 5th i think Federer had like 9 break points to go 2 breaks up and couldn't take it. and then Andreev has 4 break points to break back at 4-2 but Federer scrapped through. Amazing.

Didn't see all of Djokovic's match but i hear he was confortable at one point and then all of a sudden he looked in real trouble. but like the top players do they find a way.

I'm happy both players (Roger and Novak) advanced though. I can't wait to watch Roddick Vs Novak in the quaters, what a match will that be. I predict an upset for Novak. Roddick in 5 sets will come as a winner. Federer will defeat this Muller guy (he defeated Nadal in Wimbledon 2005) in three sets. Although Muller beat Davidenko pretty easily, I dont' think he's gota a chance against the swiss.

I think everyone has a chance against everyone to be honest. Like you said Murray has a tough match, and i think Federer will have one too. I honestly think that Nadal has the easiest Quarter final match against Fish. I just think Fish will play right into Nadals hands! If Federer starts well then maybe he'll run away with it. But if Muller wins the first hold on to your hats coz its gonna be a classic. Federer seems to have lost that absoulte coolness under pressure that he used to have and as where before he only needed 3 or 4 break points a match to beat you he seems to neeed 8 or 9 now which is why i think he is struggling a little bit more.

Roddick with the crowd behind him is gonna be tough to beat.... but he has to serve at leat 78% first serves in to beat Novak and might even need more. That serve is such a weapon but so often it lets him down when under pressure. I think if he is down below that Novak is good enough to take him apart. If Roddick wins the 1st set then i reckon we'll have another 5 set epic on our hands.

I'm worried about Rafa though. I think this is it for him. I read an interview today with Toni (his uncle and coach). Nadal's match against Querry was a worrying sign that things are not really on his side. He's played probably more than 25 matches than any other tennis court this season...he's just running out of gas phisycally and mentally. Toni said Nadal is not even close to 70% of his condition right now, so I believe this could be the end of the season for him unless he really takes some time off after the US open.

Time will tell, but I dont think Nadal has anything left for him this year. I think he won't win any more tournaments until 2009.

yeah but he is gonna say that. Takes the pressure off his man. Nadal is at more than 70% maybe not 100% but anyone who played Olympics isn't going to be. And mentally he has to be the strongest around.... he has lost 1 match in 70 odd. That will make a man pretty sure he can win. and as far as the 25 matches more go thats simply not true.... i knwo for a fact that if you add up Murray's doubles apperences (which he is so stupid for playing) along with his singles  then Nadal has not played many more. I know doubles if different but still tiring and still mentally tiring.

I wouldn't worry about Nadal.... He'll be in the semi's and for his sake he'll be hoping that Roddick beats Novak coz Nadal will take Roddick apart as where we all know the trouble he has against Novak. Champions find a way and its safe to say Nadal is a champion. He will probally take time off after the US Open whatever. He is the favourite i think after the year he has had and with Hard court specialist like Djokvic and Federer struggling at times he has to have that mantal.

And lets remember Nadal is young and one of the fittest out there.... so he's probally better than they lead you to believe.

[/color]

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 08:25:17 AM »

What a Prick that guys is! now i really hope murray crushes him. Although he is playing well so its gonna be tough.

Really he just couldn't take losing that break.... i mean if people started insulting peoples mothers everytime someone shouted c'mon tennis might as well be MMA.

I loved Murrays comments.... " Just Like If He Hits One Off The Frame Out Of The Court, I Can Say C'Mon".... haha little digs are funny.

I'm suprised that Del Potro didn't get points off for that.

[/color]

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2008, 01:27:28 PM »

and as far as the 25 matches more go thats simply not true.... i knwo for a fact that if you add up Murray's doubles apperences (which he is so stupid for playing) along with his singles  then Nadal has not played many more. I know doubles if different but still tiring and still mentally tiring.

You are right, there were not 25 my bad. The difference is 34!!  Tongue

Nadal singles record: 70-8
Nadal Doubles: 8-7

Murray singles record: 35-13
Murray doubles: 5-6

Now,  you are telling me that 30 single matches more matches is not a big difference?? 30 matches are more than 50% of the total amount Murray's played all year long. Huge, huge difference.

What a Prick that guys is! now i really hope murray crushes him. Although he is playing well so its gonna be tough.

Really he just couldn't take losing that break.... i mean if people started insulting peoples mothers everytime someone shouted c'mon tennis might as well be MMA.

I loved Murrays comments.... " Just Like If He Hits One Off The Frame Out Of The Court, I Can Say C'Mon".... haha little digs are funny.

C'mon man! It's both ways man....I can tell you are definitely a Murray fan...

Del Potro does nothing. He's trash talking same as Murray. Del Potro hit a forehand over Murray's body but that's something it happens every day. Tennis players are allowed to do that as long as you are playing the point. It happens all the time. Even the judge said so...

Murray started the trash talking bitching cause del potro had tried to hit him....Del Potro did make a comment about Murrays mom saying "it's always you are your mom" but that was it...he didnt say anything bad about her, just made a statement.

To me, it looked like both players were just trying to psyche each other out. Both were taking part on it and both were equally responsible for it.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:32:54 PM by Ignatius » Logged
Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2008, 02:27:46 PM »

and as far as the 25 matches more go thats simply not true.... i knwo for a fact that if you add up Murray's doubles apperences (which he is so stupid for playing) along with his singles  then Nadal has not played many more. I know doubles if different but still tiring and still mentally tiring.

Now,  you are telling me that 30 single matches more matches is not a big difference?? 30 matches are more than 50% of the total amount Murray's played all year long. Huge, huge difference.

What i'm saying is that with sucess come extra matches. if you win all 4 majors in a year you'll have to play 28 matches (7 in each i think) .... Fact. What i'm saying is he can't have it both ways. Thats what being a number one is about. He can pull out of any tournament he wants to. And thats why its a unvalid excuse, especially for someone so fit. And lets not forget Murray missed 2 months with a ankle injury earlier in the year. and even when he played he was unfit. thats all i'm saying. You can't say i'm too tired and it be a legimate excuse when you choose what tournaments you play in. Victim of own sucess maybe but he wouldn't be No 1 now if he didn't play all those tournaments.

C'mon man! It's both ways man....I can tell you are definitely a Murray fan...

Del Potro does nothing. He's trash talking same as Murray. Del Potro hit a forehand over Murray's body but that's something it happens every day. Tennis players are allowed to do that as long as you are playing the point. It happens all the time. Even the judge said so...

Murray started the trash talking bitching cause del potro had tried to hit him....Del Potro did make a comment about Murrays mom saying "it's always you are your mom" but that was it...he didnt say anything bad about her, just made a statement.

To me, it looked like both players were just trying to psyche each other out. Both were taking part on it and both were equally responsible for it.

You can insult the other play if you want but you dont talk about their family thats just low.... The ball thing isn't the problem, he got angry with Murray shouting c'mon when he won a point and then started talking crap... so murray gave some back.... and then he started insulting his mum.

Thats a prime candiate for the Twat label

[/color]

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »

Ok Murray has just played his worst set of the US Open... and managed to win it.... Go figure.

if he keeps playing like this i can't see him winning.

[/color]

Gnrfan
Ben Brightside
Legend

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2008, 08:06:31 PM »

Ok Murray has just played his worst set of the US Open... and managed to win it.... Go figure.

if he keeps playing like this i can't see him winning.

Well Murray has ended the run of that idiot. But i have to say i think Del Potro will consider himself unlucky. I have to be honest its one of the worst i've seen Murray play in a long time... but his heart and grit got him through again. He'll have to improve whoever he plays but

I have to say i'm a little skeptical about Del Potro injury breaks... i mean Del Potro looked ok until he lost the first set then needed treatment. hmmm.

I thought Murray played within himself and couldn't serve well enough throughout to dominate. Del Potro threw everything at Murray and Murray kept coming back. the 4th set at 2-2 Murray defended his serve against several break points.... but Del Potro kept coming back and when he broke Murray in the 4th i thought he we go another 5 set. but I think Murray turned it up a level and showed his class.

They said on there tonight Murray will now be 4th in the Rankings... i think thats where he should be. He is the leader of that pack chasing those brilliant top 3. I just hope its Murray vs Nadal now coz even if he loses (which he will if he plays like he did tonight) it will be good to see how far he has come since Wimbledon.

[/color]

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2008, 07:55:32 AM »

What i'm saying is that with sucess come extra matches. if you win all 4 majors in a year you'll have to play 28 matches (7 in each i think) .... Fact. What i'm saying is he can't have it both ways. Thats what being a number one is about. He can pull out of any tournament he wants to. And thats why its a unvalid excuse, especially for someone so fit. And lets not forget Murray missed 2 months with a ankle injury earlier in the year. and even when he played he was unfit. thats all i'm saying. You can't say i'm too tired and it be a legimate excuse when you choose what tournaments you play in. Victim of own sucess maybe but he wouldn't be No 1 now if he didn't play all those tournaments.

Say what?

Ok, now you are talking about something else. I did show you some proof that Nadal has played not only 25 but 34 matches all year long. You replied by saying you didnt think there were that many, in fact, you even commented on Doubles matches, wrongly asuming Andy had played more matches than Nadal (in doubles).

Fact is, Nadal has played 34 more matches than Murray, 27 more than Federer and 27 more Djokovic. You can double check by clicking here http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/

Now, let's talk about what you refered in your last post.

adal is indeed tired. You cant deny the obvious...he's played 93 matches al year long...the way must feel something. Now, he's not only phisically tired, mentally as well. His last 5 months have been more INTENSE than any other player's have EVER experience in at least 10 years.

Not only he's won in RG, Wimbledon, Olympic GOLD, clinched the number 1 spot, but also, he's won 3 master series and 2 international series. Not only that, he has been threatend to lose his number 2 spot (God, that seems to be ages ago) twice this year in two matches against Djokovi. Those were either a WIN for nadal or LOSE and go back to number 3.

I don't think no one has ever been placed under such level of pressure in the past 5 months as NADAL has. He must be mentally exhausted.

When Federer clinched the number one there wasnt a solid, constant all around player then. He had just won Wimbledon and the Masters Cup in 2003 and reach the semis in the Assuie open in '04 and that was enough. Federer has won many tournaments in these past four year but he's never had a run this succesful in such short time. Nadal, on the other side, to be in the position he is today, has performed the most notorious and successful run tennis has seen in at least 10 years to gain that number one spot and relegate the wonderful FedEX to number two spot. Nadal saw there was a chance, and he's gone for it.

It's true players can decide where they play and when but Nadal saw an open door and went for it. This was the very first time he was in position to take the number one spot and succeeded.

The difference here is, circunstances are differente these days. Tennis in general has reached an incredible level of quality and competition. Not only that, the former number one player will go down as one of the best players of all time and Nadal is playing on this ERA. Had Nadal been the same age as Roddick, Hewiit or Safin, he could've been easily the number one player in the world from 2001 - 2004 when there was not a solid tennis player.

Nadal will sure take some time off when he believes he is not in danger. If Nadal wins the US open, he will retain the number 1 spot in 2008 no matter what. If that happens, you wont see Nadal playing again until mid October.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: