Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:16:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227795 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Blogger arrested, accused of posting 9 unreleased Guns N' Roses songs
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blogger arrested, accused of posting 9 unreleased Guns N' Roses songs  (Read 173915 times)
$$$$
VIP

the disrespect in your eye

« Reply #640 on: September 01, 2008, 07:21:42 PM »

I see Slash even mentioned he'd like this blogger to rot in jail, thats a bit severe but nice of him to stick up for his old bandmate

ya this coming from the guy who openly brags about being clepto thief in his book Roll Eyes

BASTARD SON OF A LOADED GUN
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #641 on: September 01, 2008, 07:39:40 PM »

I see Slash even mentioned he'd like this blogger to rot in jail, thats a bit severe but nice of him to stick up for his old bandmate

ya this coming from the guy who openly brags about being clepto thief in his book Roll Eyes

We all can't be perfect I mean leaving GnR, trying to make Snakepit the next GnR album rofl, having his band video's only IN Demand.  He stole from Tower Records stealing from a store that has CD's is diffrent than uploading leaks ! I mean atleast the CD in the store is offical right ?

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #642 on: September 02, 2008, 04:16:32 AM »

As Jarmo have pointed out, there is a big difference between steeling a candybar in a 7/11 and a whole truck load.  hihi

I'm sure slash wouldn't mind if this guy actually stole a cd in record store... smoking

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #643 on: September 02, 2008, 05:54:29 AM »

As Jarmo have pointed out, there is a big difference between steeling a candybar in a 7/11 and a whole truck load.  hihi

I'm sure slash wouldn't mind if this guy actually stole a cd in record store... smoking

But I think he's talking about the big picture, the downloading/leaking/torrenting trend, like he's defending the whole music industry.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #644 on: September 02, 2008, 08:19:32 AM »

I think that the guy should be held in a hero status in the GNR community.  This could end up being the only way that we hear these songs.  It may get released it may not, it all depends on how Axl feels the day that the call needs to be made.
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #645 on: September 02, 2008, 08:24:25 AM »

I think that the guy should be held in a hero status in the GNR community.  This could end up being the only way that we hear these songs.  It may get released it may not, it all depends on how Axl feels the day that the call needs to be made.

Yeah lets hail this fucker and at the same time tell Axl to fuck off!

That sounds really logic!

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
The_Wretched
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #646 on: September 02, 2008, 08:30:09 AM »

He may get some leniancy...

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/08/29/judge-says-arrest-of-chinese-democracy-leaker-was-dramatic/
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #647 on: September 02, 2008, 11:50:13 AM »

In another year, when the album isn't out, I think those who missed the opportunity to download the songs are going to feel this way. Yes.

Would you please tone down your enthusiasm a bit? It's just too much!

/jarmo

Oh do you know what's going on behind the scenes that tells you it ain't coming out Huh? ya didn't think so.

Sorry guys, I'm just cynical about it coming out. After 9 years, I think fans have at least earned some cynicism. Don't get me wrong! I am excited. Excited, but cynical.

As for inside info, you don't have any that says it is coming out. I hope your right and it does, but you know as much as I do.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #648 on: September 02, 2008, 12:22:03 PM »

I believe

or he saw the guy extolling the songs.  Tongue

I agree with GNR's stance. That they are after the source rather than the squirrel.
they are rational and not blind with rage.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #649 on: September 02, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »

Did Guns n? Roses Leaker Know He Broke the Law? Kevin Cogill Asks for Financial Aid

9/2/08, 1:45 pm EST

Kevin Cogill, the blogger who was arrested by the FBI last week for leaking nine unreleased Guns n? Roses tracks, has broken his silence on his Website. In a new post, Cogill reveals that he has retained the services of attorney David J.P. Kaloyanides, who works with ?many indigent clients who cannot afford to hire their own lawyer,? according to his Website. Cogill has set up a Paypal account on his site to raise funds for his defense. He also plans on auctioning his Gibson Les Paul BFG guitar. ?[Battling these charges] has definitely been by far the biggest expense I have ever faced in my entire life,? he writes. ?My resources are very limited while formidable costs shall continue to pile up. It?s beyond daunting, being a single independent citizen facing a full-force prosecution by the most powerful government in the world.? If convicted Cogill faces a possible five-year prison sentence and a $250,000 fine. A preliminary hearing is booked for September 17th.

Speaking to Rolling Stone in June, Cogill seemed unaware of the recent law that explicitly outlawed the distribution of unreleased music. ?I?m not worried [about possible legal action],? he said. ?I have a few friends in the music industry, pretty high up on the inside. The consensus seems to be that they probably aren?t going to prosecute, it?s pretty bad PR. It?s a grey area in a lot of senses since it wasn?t for download and it wasn?t a finished product. We aren?t even sure who owns the recordings. Everything I know about these situations doesn?t apply to this particular case. I?m not ruling anything out, but I feel like I might survive this. I don?t know.?

He also explained his rationale for posting the music to begin with. ?I set out to prove the point that this shit will always get out there, no matter how tight a lid they put on it. Me just saying I had these songs wouldn?t be enough. If I said, ?Hey, we heard Chinese Democracy ? it?s great.? Nobody would fucking buy that. How many sites have said that? I had to have someone say, ?No, they fucking have it. They posted it.? ?
Andy Greene

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/09/02/did-guns-n-roses-leaker-know-he-broke-the-law-kevin-cogill-asks-for-financial-aid/

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
bodine
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #650 on: September 02, 2008, 02:34:51 PM »

Did Guns n? Roses Leaker Know He Broke the Law? Kevin Cogill Asks for Financial Aid

9/2/08, 1:45 pm EST

Kevin Cogill, the blogger who was arrested by the FBI last week for leaking nine unreleased Guns n? Roses tracks, has broken his silence on his Website. In a new post, Cogill reveals that he has retained the services of attorney David J.P. Kaloyanides, who works with ?many indigent clients who cannot afford to hire their own lawyer,? according to his Website. Cogill has set up a Paypal account on his site to raise funds for his defense. He also plans on auctioning his Gibson Les Paul BFG guitar. ?[Battling these charges] has definitely been by far the biggest expense I have ever faced in my entire life,? he writes. ?My resources are very limited while formidable costs shall continue to pile up. It?s beyond daunting, being a single independent citizen facing a full-force prosecution by the most powerful government in the world.? If convicted Cogill faces a possible five-year prison sentence and a $250,000 fine. A preliminary hearing is booked for September 17th.

Speaking to Rolling Stone in June, Cogill seemed unaware of the recent law that explicitly outlawed the distribution of unreleased music. ?I?m not worried [about possible legal action],? he said. ?I have a few friends in the music industry, pretty high up on the inside. The consensus seems to be that they probably aren?t going to prosecute, it?s pretty bad PR. It?s a grey area in a lot of senses since it wasn?t for download and it wasn?t a finished product. We aren?t even sure who owns the recordings. Everything I know about these situations doesn?t apply to this particular case. I?m not ruling anything out, but I feel like I might survive this. I don?t know.?

He also explained his rationale for posting the music to begin with. ?I set out to prove the point that this shit will always get out there, no matter how tight a lid they put on it. Me just saying I had these songs wouldn?t be enough. If I said, ?Hey, we heard Chinese Democracy ? it?s great.? Nobody would fucking buy that. How many sites have said that? I had to have someone say, ?No, they fucking have it. They posted it.? ?
Andy Greene

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/09/02/did-guns-n-roses-leaker-know-he-broke-the-law-kevin-cogill-asks-for-financial-aid/

/jarmo

To me, it sounds like he took a calculated risk. Probably should've read up on the law a little more before he posted the songs!
dr. light
Headliner

hola soy el piji

« Reply #651 on: September 02, 2008, 02:35:19 PM »

this is pointless

army of darknes is the best movie ever!!!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #652 on: September 02, 2008, 02:45:28 PM »

To me, it sounds like he took a calculated risk. Probably should've read up on the law a little more before he posted the songs!

First question you should ask yourself: "Is this music mine?"....

If you answer no, then you should ask yourself, "can I post it freely even though it's not my music?".

If you're not sure about that, maybe you should ask the one/ones who created the music for permission.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #653 on: September 02, 2008, 02:46:25 PM »

Nobody is perfect!  Except you right?  I'm sure mommy tells you that every day.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #654 on: September 02, 2008, 02:51:30 PM »

nervous

As a result, many old friends, new enemies, creepy strangers and reporters have been cramping my style; Asking questions, offering to help, threatening to injure / kill me, wishing me luck, wishing that I rot in jail for the rest of my life, hiding in my bushes, et cetera.

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #655 on: September 02, 2008, 02:59:30 PM »

I have a few friends in the music industry, pretty high up on the inside.

And where are they now? 
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #656 on: September 02, 2008, 03:05:28 PM »

I think the real criminal was the person who took the songs originally. This guy's just an idiot who wanted to prove he'd actually heard the material by posting it.

The person who stole it from the record company, or where ever, is the person who deserves jail time. This guy needs to have a suspended jail sentence and fine, but he's not the real crook. The real crook is the person who provided the music to him. IMOHO

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #657 on: September 02, 2008, 03:08:30 PM »

I think the real criminal was the person who took the songs originally. This guy's just an idiot who wanted to prove he'd actually heard the material by posting it.

That is true. But this guy made it available for thousands of people.

He gave a lot of people the chance to hear songs he had no right to post.

/jarmo

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #658 on: September 02, 2008, 03:20:11 PM »

The person who stole it from the record company, or where ever, is the person who deserves jail time. This guy needs to have a suspended jail sentence and fine, but he's not the real crook. The real crook is the person who provided the music to him. IMOHO
But if they can prove that this guy was working in cahoots with the other guy (one did the stealing and the other did the distributing) then they're equally guilty.  The other guy can cop a plea that even though he stoled it, he had no intentions of making it public.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #659 on: September 02, 2008, 03:21:38 PM »

Shouldn't be real easy to find out where he got the songs from "The Orginal Source" all they half to do ask him who gave those songs to him.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: