Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 07:21:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 431261 times)
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1580 on: January 30, 2009, 12:44:40 PM »

As an aside, I find it interesting that after 10 weeks released, the album is in the top 25 worldwide, yet #75 in the US.  Why such a huge disparity?

Bigger availability outside the US?

You're not limited to just one chain outside the USA to get it.

/jarmo

of course its gonna sell more world-wide. if you add up all the people and countries outside the us, that's a lot of people. the us is not the center of the world, is it?

They weren't discussing specific numbers of units sold comparatively, but chart positions.

Yes, thank you, that was exactly my point.  It's chart positions, i.e. sales relative to other albums.

Ali
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #1581 on: January 30, 2009, 12:52:32 PM »

As an aside, I find it interesting that after 10 weeks released, the album is in the top 25 worldwide, yet #75 in the US.  Why such a huge disparity?

/jarmo

of course its gonna sell more world-wide. if you add up all the people and countries outside the us, that's a lot of people. the us is not the center of the world, is it?

They weren't discussing specific numbers of units sold comparatively, but chart positions.

Yes, thank you, that was exactly my point.  It's chart positions, i.e. sales relative to other albums.

Ali

ok, fine. you didnt say that initially. however, the total number of albums solid in each particular country are very low compared to the US. so , if you pick any particular country outside the us, the total number of cd's sold by a particular artist are very low, so a difference of only a few cd's can make a huge difference on a position on a chart, so it would be much easier for them to chart higher on any particluar countries chart. just look at the number of cd's sold in any country any week outside the us and its tiny....
Uber-Tech
Opening Act

« Reply #1582 on: January 30, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »

[/quote]

Good point.  It makes me wonder what the case would be were it available everywhere in the US. 

But then again, it's at 72 in the uk  Sad Sad Sad Cry

However, given some of the albums in the chart at the moment, one can see that British taste in music has gone so far downhill you couldn't find it with a JCB. (I mean Roger Whittaker at 16  Huh)

Mind you, when I was into Guns when I was younger, everyone else was buying Take That and East 17.

If you don't believe in yourself, don't expect others to.
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1583 on: January 30, 2009, 01:28:24 PM »

/jarmo

Ali

ok, fine. you didnt say that initially. however, the total number of albums solid in each particular country are very low compared to the US. so , if you pick any particular country outside the us, the total number of cd's sold by a particular artist are very low, so a difference of only a few cd's can make a huge difference on a position on a chart, so it would be much easier for them to chart higher on any particluar countries chart. just look at the number of cd's sold in any country any week outside the us and its tiny....

I specifically mentioned chart positions.  I think it was obvious what I was looking at.  But, the point of taking global sales is to NOT look at one country, but look at many so as to get a relative sales position world wide.  This isn't an average chart position from different countries.  This is a chart position based on total worldwide sales reports.  So, your explanation doesn't apply.  The album is selling much better comparatively than it is in the US.

Ali
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:32:21 PM by Ali » Logged
LeftToDecay
VIP

i'd love to pull the wires from the wall

« Reply #1584 on: January 30, 2009, 01:31:02 PM »

As many of the kids today don't bother to make an effort to discover new (old) bands, and just listens to whatever the radio or MTV/VH1 presents them, GN'R really need a good music video (from a 'sale wise' perspective).
That just isn't true at all. MTV's days of presenting any music videos or new bands to anyone are pretty much over. Thanks to youtube and lack of effort it takes to get anything you want for free in digital form, "teh scene" is more shattered and spread out than ever. This is a good thing. It is much, much, much easier to find the band that is your thing than ever before. Kids today discover new bands, new-old and otherwise, way more often than they did back in the pre internet world.

this is what you should fear
you are what you should fear
Uber-Tech
Opening Act

« Reply #1585 on: January 30, 2009, 01:37:50 PM »

As many of the kids today don't bother to make an effort to discover new (old) bands, and just listens to whatever the radio or MTV/VH1 presents them, GN'R really need a good music video (from a 'sale wise' perspective).
That just isn't true at all. MTV's days of presenting any music videos or new bands to anyone are pretty much over. Thanks to youtube and lack of effort it takes to get anything you want for free in digital form, "teh scene" is more shattered and spread out than ever. This is a good thing. It is much, much, much easier to find the band that is your thing than ever before. Kids today discover new bands, new-old and otherwise, way more often than they did back in the pre internet world.

Actually, that doesn't seem to apply so much in the UK.  My stepson (now 18) used to be really into heavy rock - Sabbath, ACDC, Ozzy. But now he's listening to (and buying) more pop music.  I'm hoping it's a glitch.......... he plays his stereo real loud......

jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1586 on: January 30, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »

Yes.

And record sales isn't exactly the best way to determine the popularity of a music act.

You have acts selling out stadiums who haven't had a hit in years and whose new albums don't necessarily top the charts.

They just happen to have a very loyal group of fans.

And how do you take into consideration stuff like Myspace, Youtube etc into the "popularity index"?

For example, your single might not get radio play (which is what they use to collect data), but it's played a lot on your Myspace page and the video is a hit on Youtube. Still, judging by the radio date, nobody listens to your single... A bit skewed.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #1587 on: January 30, 2009, 01:50:10 PM »

/jarmo

Ali

I specifically mentioned chart positions.  I think it was obvious what I was looking at.  But, the point of taking global sales is to NOT look at one country, but look at many so as to get a relative sales position world wide.  This isn't an average chart position from different countries.  This is a chart position based on total worldwide sales reports.  So, your explanation doesn't apply.  The album is selling much better comparatively than it is in the US.

Ali

Actually, no it wasnt obvious. You did not define what world wide meant, brother. total sales ex- us, avg chart for all countries ex-us?? with your reasoning, you can easily come up with your conclusion that the cd is doing better outside the us. so just take where it is is in the uk (72) and then somewhere else where it is higher (say, 10) and then average those 2 places and you get a high charting. the fact of the matter is that the sales of the cd from the us are much better than everywhere else. the sales here are accounting for approximately 50% of all sales of the cd.
Uber-Tech
Opening Act

« Reply #1588 on: January 30, 2009, 01:57:05 PM »

Yes.

And record sales isn't exactly the best way to determine the popularity of a music act.

You have acts selling out stadiums who haven't had a hit in years and whose new albums don't necessarily top the charts.

They just happen to have a very loyal group of fans.

And how do you take into consideration stuff like Myspace, Youtube etc into the "popularity index"?

For example, your single might not get radio play (which is what they use to collect data), but it's played a lot on your Myspace page and the video is a hit on Youtube. Still, judging by the radio date, nobody listens to your single... A bit skewed.

/jarmo

AC/DC didn't make Black Ice available to download, so the only way to get it was to buy it.  Therefore, the sales figures are higher.  If Chinese Democracy wasn't available to download, I think there is a good chance that the sales figures for Chinese Democracy would be higher.  I'm not saying it would be #1, and blaming everything on the 'download age', but I think with the amount of music available on the internet, no-one can take album charts as a serious indication of popular music anymore.

Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #1589 on: January 30, 2009, 02:33:24 PM »

AC/DC didn't make Black Ice available to download, so the only way to get it was to buy it.  Therefore, the sales figures are higher.  If Chinese Democracy wasn't available to download, I think there is a good chance that the sales figures for Chinese Democracy would be higher.  I'm not saying it would be #1, and blaming everything on the 'download age', but I think with the amount of music available on the internet, no-one can take album charts as a serious indication of popular music anymore.

you do realise paid album downloads are counted in the charts right...

and also if you really wanted to you could find black ice on any number of illegal download sites...

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1590 on: January 30, 2009, 05:35:24 PM »

and also if you really wanted to you could find black ice on any number of illegal download sites...

do you think acdc fans could do that?  aren't they a bit older than that?

and was Black Ice available at their myspace or their site for everyone to listen?

Mind you, when I was into Guns when I was younger, everyone else was buying Take That and East 17.

take that are again doing quite well aren't they.  hihi
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #1591 on: January 30, 2009, 06:22:58 PM »

do you think acdc fans could do that?  aren't they a bit older than that?

and was Black Ice available at their myspace or their site for everyone to listen?

take that are again doing quite well aren't they.  hihi
Not in America.

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1592 on: January 30, 2009, 08:19:10 PM »

the more I listen to this album, the more I like it; which to me is a sign of a very strong album

I agree completely.

Ali

pure speculation but maybe public retribution against GnR for the last 15 yrs: Undecided
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #1593 on: January 30, 2009, 10:18:45 PM »

Considering Finck's been a major player for the past decade or so, touring without him would make GN'R look even worse in the public eye.

The "public eye" would not even notice
yeah according to the "public eye" (or the all seeing evil eye LOR) GNR isnt GNR without Slash and those stupid people lookin at this will probly make some retarted post sayin Slashs comin back or somin

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #1594 on: January 30, 2009, 10:51:27 PM »

Ok, so the MTV days are over.

GN'R needs to release their video through youtube then... Same thing, different medium.

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1595 on: January 31, 2009, 01:11:28 AM »

the more I listen to this album, the more I like it; which to me is a sign of a very strong album

I agree completely.

Ali

Turn on the radio and you will know why.

For Chrissake, just listen to the new Chris Cornell single.  Yes, the produced one.

Pure garbage.  Just like commercial music these days.

Chris Cornell used to be so cool.  Now he plays gigs for corporate fat cats and sells out musically. 

The Weezer boys can say, "We told you so!"
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #1596 on: January 31, 2009, 02:07:59 PM »

One video on VH1 and one interview  in a prominent rock magazine by Axl (Rolling Stone) and the album will shoot up in the charts in the US.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1597 on: January 31, 2009, 02:40:30 PM »

For Chrissake, just listen to the new Chris Cornell single.  Yes, timberland produced one.

Chris Cornell used to be so cool.  Now he plays gigs for corporate fat cats and sells out musically. 

or Chris Cornell can?

pure garbage to you or not, maybe its what he's really wanted to do.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1598 on: January 31, 2009, 09:26:27 PM »

For Chrissake, just listen to the new Chris Cornell single.  Yes, timberland produced one.

or Chris Cornell can?

pure garbage to you or not, maybe its what he's really wanted to do.

I don't know.  The guy who shares a name with the popular shoe company is a guaranteed hit-maker.  Chris Cornell hasn't had a hit in a long time.  His solo albums have been letdowns.  This was his hail mary.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1599 on: February 01, 2009, 01:23:33 PM »

actually I don't hate ave maria. by Schubert is it?

are Chris Cornell's non hit songs from his letdown solo albums better than the new song?

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: