Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 10:00:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 431271 times)
rabia
Rocker

« Reply #1600 on: February 01, 2009, 08:36:21 PM »

all i can say is that the lack of a video is seriously hurting the album. im from pakistan and i know that articles etc used to be written about GNR in the national press in the 90's but so far ive seen just one review of Chinese Democracy (got 5/5 stars). a lot of international fans have not been part of the leaks/ speculation scene in the US and theyre not even aware that the album is out.

if you had a video you could let these fans know that there's a new album to be had- introduce them to it through Better. there's no way that the video can do any damage, it can only help.

the fact that its not being released can only mean one thing- that GNR are waiting for the Best Buy exclusive to end before making any push. this means a long wait because the Best buy exclusive is till may. thats a long wait and a long gap to fill between now and then.
Uber-Tech
Opening Act

« Reply #1601 on: February 02, 2009, 08:53:07 AM »

Mind you, when I was into Guns when I was younger, everyone else was buying Take That and East 17.

take that are again doing quite well aren't they.  hihi

Yes unfortunately (trust me they are no better now than they were then).  Also taking into account that much of the rest of the chart is made up of the warblings of various X-Factor contestants, I would like to apologise on behalf of the British public for their complete lack of taste. 

If you don't believe in yourself, don't expect others to.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1602 on: February 02, 2009, 05:55:58 PM »

Err  nervous lets not equate pop idols with the serious musical act. I don't think it's even a matter of taste.

They are well promoted. Otherwise,

Not in America.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #1603 on: February 03, 2009, 02:20:33 AM »

actually I don't hate ave maria. by Schubert is it?

are Chris Cornell's non hit songs from his letdown solo albums better than the new song?

A hail Mary is an American expression used to describe a last ditch effort, in a way.

I adore Ave Maria by Schubert.  Have you heard Aaron Neville's rendition on the Pavarotti & Friends album?  It's my favorite, although I haven't heard a bad Ave Maria.

And I thought Chris Cornell's non-hit songs from his letdown albums were a lot better than the new song. 
rale
Opening Act

« Reply #1604 on: February 03, 2009, 02:28:45 AM »

after 50% onwww.hitsdailydouble.com

39   GUNS N' ROSES   GEFFEN   5,702
CHINESE DEMOCRACY
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #1605 on: February 03, 2009, 10:14:26 AM »

CHINESE DEMOCRACY

wow. that isn't so great...
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #1606 on: February 03, 2009, 10:27:52 AM »

CHINESE DEMOCRACY

don't worry.  if only fifty percent of the  figures are in, then it makes sense that gnr will move up from 39 to some where around 19.  that's much better.
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1607 on: February 03, 2009, 10:34:03 AM »

CHINESE DEMOCRACY

don't worry.  if only fifty percent of the  figures are in, then it makes sense that gnr will move up from 39 to some where around 19.  that's much better.

That doesn't make sense.  Everyone else only has 50% of the figures in too so that doesn't mean GNR would move up necesssarily.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #1608 on: February 03, 2009, 10:52:14 AM »

CHINESE DEMOCRACY

No. the 50% relates to all artists sales, so they won't move up. Plus, just look at the volume of 6k....that's frightening...only 6k more cd's that i sold so far....
LunsJail
Legend

Mark it zero!!!

« Reply #1609 on: February 03, 2009, 02:57:49 PM »

CHINESE DEMOCRACY

No. the 50% relates to all artists sales, so they won't move up. Plus, just look at the volume of 6k....that's frightening...only 6k more cd's that i sold so far....

I think that would actually still beat last week's numbers.

You should have seen the cover they wanted to do. It wasn't a glove, believe me.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1610 on: February 03, 2009, 04:39:07 PM »

CHINESE DEMOCRACY

I think that would actually still beat last week's numbers.
Yeah, I'm not so sure how close these projections end up as but #39 is WAY better than #75.  You don't have to be a math genius to figure that out.  Overall #'s for last week were just over 7K too, so with 50% sales tallied it does seem to be ahead of that pace.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1611 on: February 03, 2009, 04:48:46 PM »

According to the numbers on hitsdailydouble.com, Bruce Springsteen's new one didn't sell as much in its first week as GN'R did.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #1612 on: February 03, 2009, 04:58:04 PM »

According to the numbers on hitsdailydouble.com, Bruce Springsteen's new one didn't sell as much in its first week as GN'R did.

/jarmo

rofl  even with bruce acting like a complete media whore to try and promote it?  lol!  fuck that guy. 

when you factor in promotion and the best buy exclusive, axl wiped the floor with him.  so who's the REAL boss?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1613 on: February 03, 2009, 05:31:25 PM »

move beyond the notion that there's still life in this album on a sales/marketing perspective. 

Sorry, don't agree.

They could re-release it with the new artwork to coincide with a tour. Do a video and do some interviews.

Suddenly there's interest in the album again.

If an album is "dead" after two months, why do bands keep promoting them for a year or two by putting out videos, doing interviews and touring?

Oh, and maybe the public "don't care" because they don't listen to rock radio? So they didn't even know there was a single out.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #1614 on: February 03, 2009, 05:32:53 PM »

I disagree that they used the wrong song as the lead single.  "Chinese Democracy" was quite successful as a single.  I know some will argue that ANY song would've been successful as the lead single but that's purely an opinion, can't really be proven.  "Better" was thought of as the most likely song to be a hit on the album, which I didn't necessarily agree with, but it hasn't reached the level of CD to this point.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1615 on: February 03, 2009, 05:37:23 PM »

/jarmo

rofl  even with bruce acting like a complete media whore to try and promote it?  lol!  fuck that guy. 

when you factor in promotion and the best buy exclusive, axl wiped the floor with him.  so who's the REAL boss?

That's a ridiculous claim to make.  First off, Chinese Democracy came out on Black Friday, the BIGGEST shopping day in the United States for the year.  More people buy shit they don't need than on any other day.  Springsteen's album came out at the end of January, when consumer shopping is a fraction of November and December.  Secondly, Springsteen's performance on the Superbowl had little to no effect on first week sales as the Superbowl was played on a Sunday night, after Nielson/Soundscape cuts off its stats for that week.  His performance will greatly help him in second week sales, but not so much in first week sales.  Third, Springsteen has released at least six or seven albums since Axl last released Use Your Illusion.  Let's just say that expectations and curiosity was far greater for Axl's new outing than Bruce's.  

Am I big Springsteen fan?  Not really.  But to compare the sales figures of Working on a Dream with Chinese Democracy is a bit off.  

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1616 on: February 03, 2009, 05:38:26 PM »

a thing that hurts CD also is, it is a throwback "ALBUM" and in today's age of music it is about the "single"

CD has great songs but nothing I hear will speak to  the masses. This album is kind of a hardcore fanbase album where if you know Axl and u know his story u will love it, but the songs aren't crossover reach a bunch of different type of people songs.

I think Better was the most commercial song and it flopped, so really I don't think anything else will hit.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #1617 on: February 03, 2009, 05:38:45 PM »

In North America, this album is done. 

You can offer your opinion, and say that, but it means absolutely zilch in the real world.

I'm sure you would have said AFD was done after two months as well.

I'm not saying because AFD took off after a year the same will certainly happen with Chinese Democracy, what I am saying is that no one knows what is possible with an album full of great material like this.  To make any absolute statements like that is absurd.

See what you're saying 6 months from now.

Cheers.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1618 on: February 03, 2009, 05:39:37 PM »

In North America, this album is done. 

You can offer your opinion, and say that, but it means absolutely zilch in the real world.

I'm sure you would have said AFD was done after two months as well.

I'm not saying because AFD took off after a year the same will certainly happen with Chinese Democracy, what I am saying is that no one knows what is possible with an album full of great material like this.  To make any absolute statements like that is absurd.

See what you're saying 6 months from now.

Cheers.

yeah dude, but this isn't 1987 and there certainly are no SCOM or PC on this album

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1619 on: February 03, 2009, 05:41:36 PM »

move beyond the notion that there's still life in this album on a sales/marketing perspective. 

Sorry, don't agree.

They could re-release it with the new artwork to coincide with a tour. Do a video and do some interviews.

Suddenly there's interest in the album again.

If an album is "dead" after two months, why do bands keep promoting them for a year or two by putting out videos, doing interviews and touring?

Oh, and maybe the public "don't care" because they don't listen to rock radio? So they didn't even know there was a single out.

/jarmo

I like the re-release with new artwork and a tour and more proper promo by the band.  But, what I like even better is doing all that with the inclusion of another song or two, maybe that acoustic piece Axl referred to, that could help commercially and alert people to what a strong album this really is.  Grin

Ali
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: