Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:34:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227816 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 113 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy (Album) - Charting  (Read 430833 times)
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #1560 on: January 29, 2009, 12:43:38 PM »

You simply cannot compare sales figures from different eras.  Even those from earlier this decade.  You just can't.  Completely different landscapes now.

Ali

He just did to prove his "point".

By the way, Appetite For Destruction didn't go multi-platinum in its first two months out.

/jarmo

no kidding, man. no one knew who they were back then. i think people know who they are already. they are an established act. your reasoning is so flawed, but whatever, your house, your rules, right?
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1561 on: January 29, 2009, 12:47:15 PM »

isn't the current gnr supposed to be a band  no one knows who they are outside of the fan boards?

ts beyond me why a gnr fan try to persuade others to jump to the conclusion about the sales. or a solo album? wtf.
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #1562 on: January 29, 2009, 12:51:25 PM »

isn't the current gnr supposed to be a band  no one knows who they are outside of the fan boards?

ts beyond me why a gnr fan try to persuade others to jump to the conclusion about the sales. or a solo album? wtf.

the band is guns n roses, right? different members, but guns n roses, right? i think people know who gun n roses is. people cant have it both ways saying the band is gnr no matter who is in and then say the cd doesnt sell well bc people dont know who they are....
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1563 on: January 29, 2009, 01:02:38 PM »

why not?

you're talking about two different 'people'.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1564 on: January 29, 2009, 01:03:23 PM »

Sort of. The name is known.

The know-it-alls compare sales in 2008/9 to something that happened in an age when audio piracy wasn't really a big deal.

They also forget that it took a while for Appetite For Destruction to start selling. It just didn't happen by itself, the band was touring and they scored a massive hit with Sweet Child O' Mine.

AC/DC's "Black Ice" was promoted. They're a very well known band. Yet, their album was heavily promoted. Why? Wouldn't it just sell by itself since the band is so known?

I don't know why anybody would think the above could not happen in 2009.

/jarmo
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:05:11 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #1565 on: January 29, 2009, 01:10:12 PM »

Sort of. The name is known.

The know-it-alls compare sales in 2008/9 to something that happened in an age when audio piracy wasn't really a big deal.

They also forget that it took a while for Appetite For Destruction to start selling. It just didn't happen by itself, the band was touring and they scored a massive hit with Sweet Child O' Mine.

AC/DC's "Black Ice" was promoted. They're a very well known band. Yet, their album was heavily promoted. Why? Wouldn't it just sell by itself since the band is so known?

I don't know why anybody would think the above could not happen in 2009.

/jarmo

I think it can and will happen . This is the greatest album ever created. People will eventually "get it."
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #1566 on: January 29, 2009, 01:21:06 PM »

yeah I meant these know-it-all realists have claimed that GNR isn't big-name any more. they should think of the appetite case.
crow316
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1567 on: January 29, 2009, 01:33:04 PM »

A lot of people are defending the poor, or less than expected, album sales on the fact that nobody buys cds anymore. Which is true. But nobody is addressing that CD didnt even sell what was expected relative to todays market. Staying on the charts and going multi-platinum  are two different things nowadays. Even in an era where no one buys cds, its still disappointing that GNR couldnt make an impact on the charts.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #1568 on: January 29, 2009, 09:35:50 PM »

Well.. the most important streak is STILL alive...

GN'R has yet to make a shitty studio album (irregardless of commercial impact). Frankly, when the "history" of this era is finally written by music critics and historians, etc.... that will be the most important thing. ok

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Classic Case
Rocker

I know that I'm a classic case

« Reply #1569 on: January 29, 2009, 09:48:25 PM »

do u guys think the album isnt selling cuz the poeple already got 9 songs out of the album already long time before was released?  Huh
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1570 on: January 29, 2009, 11:21:42 PM »

You simply cannot compare sales figures from different eras.  Even those from earlier this decade.  You just can't.  Completely different landscapes now.

Ali

By the way, Appetite For Destruction didn't go multi-platinum in its first two months out.

/jarmo

i don't think AFD went platinum untill it had been out over a year - then shit hit the fan when SCOM video came out - and all of a sudden GnR were enormous

this turns ot to be incorrect Cry

from 7/21/87 to 2/17/88 it sold 500,000
from 2/17/88 to 12/6/88 it sold 5,500,000

Democracy's only been out 2 months and well ahead of that pace

http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?resultpage=1&table=SEARCH_RESULTS&action=&title=&artist=Guns%20N%20Roses&format=&debutLP=&category=&sex=&releaseDate=&requestNo=&type=&level=&label=&company=&certificationDate=&awardDescription=&catalogNo=&aSex=&rec_id=&charField=&gold=&platinum=&multiPlat=&level2=&certDate=&album=&id=&after=&before=&startMonth=1&endMonth=1&startYear=1958&endYear=2008&sort=CertificationDate&perPage=50
Spirit
Legend

« Reply #1571 on: January 30, 2009, 05:51:27 AM »

Ali

/jarmo

no kidding, man. no one knew who they were back then. i think people know who they are already. they are an established act. your reasoning is so flawed, but whatever, your house, your rules, right?

Remember, there might be a lot of kids out there today who never heard of Guns N' Roses... A 16 year old kid wouldn't have been born when Guns released UYI. As many of the kids today don't bother to make an effort to discover new (old) bands, and just listens to whatever the radio or MTV/VH1 presents them, GN'R really need a good music video (from a 'sale wise' perspective).

Sweetness is a virtue
And you lost your virtue long ago
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #1572 on: January 30, 2009, 07:43:19 AM »

Sweden:

#15 - Greatest Hits
#19 - Chinese Democracy - finally GOLD (20k)   Cheesy ok

#22 this week.  Lips Sealed

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
Layflats
Headliner

I'm not an idiot.

« Reply #1573 on: January 30, 2009, 09:01:50 AM »

Here is what I don't get about this thread.  This album has probably crept up to around 2 million sales worldwide so far, solid numbers.

Look up the stats, in the entire history of album sales, how many albums have sold over 15 million units?  If you take that number against all the piece of shit albums ever made, you're looking at probably a tenth of 1 percent or less.

So how do you judge art, esp. in the context of rock n roll.  CD is a failure if it doesn't reach what, 10 million, 5 million...

What a crock of shit.  This is the commercial bullshit that makes me want to vomit. Do YOU like the fucking album or not?

I actually enjoy studying the business of music, but overall album sales is simply a poor judgment of what is good or bad.  I mean how many people in rock music make fun of or parody Boston (raises hand).

Chicago 11/15/11
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #1574 on: January 30, 2009, 11:45:07 AM »

the more I listen to this album, the more I like it; which to me is a sign of a very strong album
Ali
Legend

Waiting for Promised Land....

« Reply #1575 on: January 30, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »

the more I listen to this album, the more I like it; which to me is a sign of a very strong album

I agree completely.

As an aside, I find it interesting that after 10 weeks released, the album is in the top 25 worldwide, yet #75 in the US.  Why such a huge disparity?

Ali
Classic Case
Rocker

I know that I'm a classic case

« Reply #1576 on: January 30, 2009, 12:01:04 PM »

I cant stop listening the album.....Love it!....I dont know why in the USA people dont buy it, cuz in other countries like Brazil the album has huge succes.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1577 on: January 30, 2009, 12:05:14 PM »

As an aside, I find it interesting that after 10 weeks released, the album is in the top 25 worldwide, yet #75 in the US.  Why such a huge disparity?

Bigger availability outside the US?

You're not limited to just one chain outside the USA to get it.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
adman2374
Rocker

« Reply #1578 on: January 30, 2009, 12:08:34 PM »

/jarmo

of course its gonna sell more world-wide. if you add up all the people and countries outside the us, that's a lot of people. the us is not the center of the world, is it?
JAC185
« Reply #1579 on: January 30, 2009, 12:10:03 PM »

/jarmo

of course its gonna sell more world-wide. if you add up all the people and countries outside the us, that's a lot of people. the us is not the center of the world, is it?

They weren't discussing specific numbers of units sold comparatively, but chart positions.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 113 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: