Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 09:26:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228062 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Street Of Dreams - discussion
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Street Of Dreams - discussion  (Read 32484 times)
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2008, 10:04:01 AM »

Love the song, I wish they would have put the "ok nevermind" bit from RIR3 though  hihi

me too  hihi

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2008, 12:29:49 PM »

^ or it should have atleast been the title of the song

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
LoliRocket
Opening Act

I am Unstoppable

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2008, 12:55:50 PM »

I always loved The blues, but I can't get used to the name change yet .. It is for me one of the strongest tracks on the album, after Sorry, but I don't like the new name, it's seems corny ...

█║▌│ █│║▌ ║││█║
αll яιgнтѕ яєѕєяνєd.
Lσlιтα..! ★ ?2009|☆

? αll тнιиgѕ αяє ρσѕѕιвlє...ι αм υиѕтσρραвlє ?
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2008, 07:01:45 AM »

I miss the drumfill they played live at around 3.48 i think it was, right before "what this means to me is more then i know you believe"

other then that, brilliant
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2008, 07:04:52 AM »

This is a cool song, but one of the three songs I have listened to the least.  Embarrassed
western_chaos
Rocker

The Adrenaline Runs Through My Veins.

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2008, 01:23:10 PM »

I always loved The blues, but I can't get used to the name change yet .. It is for me one of the strongest tracks on the album, after Sorry, but I don't like the new name, it's seems corny ...

lol. Well besides the title, it is still the same song.

I like this song more now in the studio version than the older live versions I've heard. To me this song, speaks volumes about axl's emotions. To me, it seems that this song is about his former band-mates. IDK, what do you guys think?

My New Social Network Is Here:

http://writersparadise.ning.com/
russkwtx
VIP

Muchas fucking gracias.

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2008, 01:57:15 PM »

Great song, one of my favs. Glad it did not change much from before. I love this song.

12.9.02 (canceled); 11.5.11; 11.9.11; 12.31.11; 11.21.12; 11.23.12; 6.6.14; 6.7.14; 8.3.16; 8.2.17
nekomex
Rocker

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2008, 12:22:03 AM »

i love the song, specially the Axl screaming at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxaqJjfSo5g

if someone wants to hear the rir3 version.

it looks like Axl was pissed off with the microfone guy or something  nervous
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2008, 11:15:58 AM »

Heard this on 97.5 (Cleveland station) last night at about 9:00 PM, Eastern Standard Time.

I was definitely surprised to hear it on a station that normally only plays singles, as far as new music goes. This station is always on at work, so I hear it for 1/3 of most of my days. They play the shit out of Chinese Democracy (The song), and the usual Appetite songs. I heard Don't Cry on this station last week and kind of stopped what I was doing at the time. I hadn't heard that song on the radio for years and just kind of took it in.

i love the song, specially the Axl screaming at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxaqJjfSo5g

if someone wants to hear the rir3 version.

it looks like Axl was pissed off with the microfone guy or something  nervous

Yeah, it took a couple of years for many of us here to get that, "Ok, Nevermind," out of our heads every time we heard this song.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 11:21:47 AM by lennonisgod » Logged

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2008, 12:34:28 PM »

^^^^

although i prefer the arrangement at RIR, axl sounds terrible here.

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
RR Mafia
Headliner

« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2008, 12:50:30 PM »

his vox in the start sound like the guy in forgetting sarah marshall singing his vampire song....this song would be a great ballad if this i love didnt exist...that song makes this one seem superfluous

Totally agree!  They should have put a rocker in its place. Still a great song though.
Insomnia
Opening Act

« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2009, 06:45:40 PM »

The intro reminds me of the intro of Breakdown  Shocked Don't know why, Breakdown just comes to mind...
Marion68
VIP

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2009, 05:02:25 AM »

Street Of Dreams/The Blues is a great song
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2009, 03:51:41 PM »

When I saw them in 02 Axl did the "only memories" part as high as the album version. It's one of the only times I've ever heard him do it live. I was so hoping it would end up on the album like that and I'm so glad it did!

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
kmorgan
Rocker

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2009, 11:22:14 PM »

Does anyone else think the vocals on this are poor?

I have been reading the comments above with people saying "vocals are amazing" etc, and I can honestly say I think they are poor. The first line is good but the 2nd and 4th lines in the intro - when Axl is forcing it - I think are poor.

I remember hearing the leaked version and thinking - yes the vocals are poor (I even thought they had just been lifted from a live performance for the purposes of putting together a quick demo) but I was thinking that doesn't matter - it is only a demo version.

However now that I have heard the final version I am still not happy with them.

Hehehehe... those are my favorite lines!  Funny how different people's taste can be!
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2009, 12:57:01 AM »

gotta disagree toonguns; love the lyrics and vocals; though it took a while to completely grow on me but now that it has, I really do love this song; the changes that accompany it are awesome
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2009, 06:33:33 AM »

This and Breakdown have some of my favorite single lines from Axl ever.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2009, 03:11:53 PM »

Yeah, definitely! Sometimes he can really say a lot with a little.

I have been reading the comments above with people saying "vocals are amazing" etc, and I can honestly say I think they are poor. The first line is good but the 2nd and 4th lines in the intro - when Axl is forcing it - I think are poor.

I remember hearing the leaked version and thinking - yes the vocals are poor (I even thought they had just been lifted from a live performance for the purposes of putting together a quick demo) but I was thinking that doesn't matter - it is only a demo version.

Hehehehe... those are my favorite lines!  Funny how different people's taste can be!

Definitely. I think it's strange that some people would use the phrase that Axl is "forcing it." I've heard that before and I just don't understand. It's obvious that he could have done the vocals however he wanted, and it's not like he was in a rush.

As for those particular vocals, I love them, and I think there's an intention in doing them that way, which I think is true of most of them. I remember a very old interview where Axl was talking about NR and indicated that for that song he deliberately wanted to sing vocals that people would be able to imitate and sing along to. I always thought it was impressive how he thought of that, and I think on SOD we see a similar thoughtfulness. I posted somewhere else about the vocals matching the song meaning, and he does a lot of that on this album. I think Madagascar and Sorry are great examples. On this song, think about how his voice switches on "you know i tried so hard to make you..." That's a great place for it. And then "and it hurts too much to see you" ? his voice alternates with the meaning of the lyrics, as well as the progression of the music. I also think this is a very distinctively GNR song with a similarly distinctive Axl Rose vocal. This song and maybe Better are the two that I think if you play for a casual listener they will easily identify as Guns N Roses having not heard the album.

Anyway I love the vocals on this song and think they're very expressive. I can't mimic Axl's high notes, but when I sing along I tend to sing in the same general tones. I do this when I'm alone, because I no doubt sound like an idiot, but still, I feel pretty awesome.
Jdog0830
Legend

Rocking and Rolling because I am young and free!!!

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2009, 06:37:26 PM »

Yeah, definitely! Sometimes he can really say a lot with a little.

Definitely. I think it's strange that some people would use the phrase that Axl is "forcing it." I've heard that before and I just don't understand. It's obvious that he could have done the vocals however he wanted, and it's not like he was in a rush.

As for those particular vocals, I love them, and I think there's an intention in doing them that way, which I think is true of most of them. I remember a very old interview where Axl was talking about NR and indicated that for that song he deliberately wanted to sing vocals that people would be able to imitate and sing along to. I always thought it was impressive how he thought of that, and I think on SOD we see a similar thoughtfulness. I posted somewhere else about the vocals matching the song meaning, and he does a lot of that on this album. I think Madagascar and Sorry are great examples. On this song, think about how his voice switches on "you know i tried so hard to make you..." That's a great place for it. And then "and it hurts too much to see you" ? his voice alternates with the meaning of the lyrics, as well as the progression of the music. I also think this is a very distinctively GNR song with a similarly distinctive Axl Rose vocal. This song and maybe Better are the two that I think if you play for a casual listener they will easily identify as Guns N Roses having not heard the album.

Anyway I love the vocals on this song and think they're very expressive. I can't mimic Axl's high notes, but when I sing along I tend to sing in the same general tones. I do this when I'm alone, because I no doubt sound like an idiot, but still, I feel pretty awesome.
exactly the vocals are great all round i think and for the forcing the words yeah Axl just did it like that for a rush element for that part of the song

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=59678.0

Just keep on moving on don't turn around or you'll lose it all
cjmax02
Rocker

literary protostar

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2009, 06:12:08 PM »

..I've listened to Street of Dreams in surround-flawed-shite at work, on a single-speaker laptop (my stereo is busted, in my defense! I was jonesing for a lil Democracy) and FINALLY the other night I put CD on my iPod... -angel's chorus-

:3 

Having Axl wailing away in your head is pretty much heaven - I was listening and I was thinking something along the lines of 'holy shit!! this is amazing! this is REALLY, REALLY GOOD MUSIC! ...better than November Rain'.   

But should I really have saved myself for the album version? Is it abolutely vital to my GN'R education that I listen to a leaked version for comparative purposes at the very least..?

I was bloody impressed by the vocals on this track...it all sounds 'right' to me. But I guess that depends on how you understand 'Axl singing perfectly'. Perfect singing, or perfect Axl? It's got soul.

do you even know where the fuck I am?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: