Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 04:19:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228061 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Madagascar thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Madagascar thread  (Read 24573 times)
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2008, 03:42:57 PM »

The dj's in milwaukee on 102.9 the hog HATE Chinese Democracy. I called in to request Better when it came out on radio, and the "Gasman" was like "You like that piece of crap? They should call it Much Much Worse. But hey, this isn't about me, it's about you guys. I guess I can play it for you."  I was like WTF?

you sure the DJ wasn't Vince Neil ? rofl

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2008, 09:10:07 PM »

Madagascar "maddy...haha" was playing on Y 108 in toronto as well....I'd just missed it, and caught patience instead.

From what I've heard, Radio stations are saying fuck it, and just playing whatever songs they want. I've also hear that This I love has been played quite a bit.

This is DEFINITELY a good thing for the band and the album.

i'm glad the radio stations that you guys listen to are liking the album, i think that most thats been said about it is that its "ok" or "not bad" or "shit"

i really hope This I Love makes it as a single, its such a beautiful song that'll get the laddies hooked immediatly. Its just that vaginal but i still love it cause its so awesome, i can't say enough about that song. An instant classic

peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
BFD
Headliner

Do you know where you are???

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2008, 10:12:35 PM »

Any other songs being played anywhere?

Better has been getting regular play on 97.7 HTZ-FM in St. Catharines, Ontario.  Chinese Democracy is #1 on their daily song countdown, Better is in the #6 spot.  They played everything on the disc throughout the weekend.

"And I'll leave you lying on the bed.  With your ass in the air."
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2008, 05:09:45 AM »

It would easily be topping all your lists of the best songs on the album, right up there with This I Love! There is no denying that the song is a fucking masterpiece, yet because most of you heard it years ago you don't give it the credit it deserves and it doesn't rank high at all on people's lists over album favourites, hell I don't even see a fucking thread for it! That's not fair at all! GIVE MADAGASCAR THE PRAISE IT DESERVES!!!! rant

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

"So they convince you no one can break through"

GN'R 2010!!!
mikestone
Opening Act

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2008, 05:12:50 AM »

yeah its an awsome song, one of the best tracks on the album

but..... like u said we've all heard it years ago, and its a bit like an old GNR song to me now ?

i've got a funny feeling
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2008, 05:16:47 AM »

Well it's not anymore of an "old" GN'R song than other songs that have been played live for some years now, like Street of Dreams, Chinese Democracy and Rhiad N' the Bedouins (yes I know that one was played live only way back). The point I am trying to make is that people don't give the other songs we've heard live the same treatment, and I know for a fact that when people first heard Madagascar live most people were blown away by it! All I am saying is that now that we have an awesome studioversion of this masterpiece, it's a damn shame to see it receive almost no attention at all!

"Ask yourself why I would choose to prostitute myself to live with fortune and shame"

GN'R 2010!!!
peka80
Headliner

Living easy, livin' free!!!

« Reply #66 on: November 26, 2008, 05:18:25 AM »

I remembered when they told us that band is holding "big guns" for album, I assumed it's "Madagascar" and other ones! But when I heard "Sorry", "This I love"... It changed my opinion. I'm not saying that "Madagascar" is a bad song, but I don't play it like  I used to four years ago!

Funny how everything was roses
When we held on to the guns
mikestone
Opening Act

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2008, 05:21:07 AM »

i think we all know its an amazing song, but i think people are just too excited about the new ones we have only just heard ?

in time when were familiar with all the songs i think people will start to respect it more  ok

i've got a funny feeling
The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2008, 05:22:06 AM »

I remembered when they told us that band is holding "big guns" for album, I assumed it's "Madagascar" and other ones! But when I heard "Sorry", "This I love"... It changed my opinion. I'm not saying that "Madagascar" is a bad song, but I don't play it like  I used to four years ago!

That's fair enough and understandable that you play songs we've never heard before more, what I am disappointed in is the fact that Madagascar doesn't get the credit it deserves as one of the absolute gems on the album, whether we've heard it before or not.

GN'R 2010!!!
peka80
Headliner

« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2008, 05:42:21 AM »

That's fair enough and understandable that you play songs we've never heard before more, what I am disappointed in is the fact that Madagascar doesn't get the credit it deserves as one of the absolute gems on the album, whether we've heard it before or not.

I understand you completely! But I'm afraid that time killed "Madagascar"!  Sad

The Catcher
VIP

Axl Rose Forever

« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2008, 06:28:53 AM »

"Killed Madagascar"? I understand your point, but seriously, if you heard Don't Cry before its release, would it kill the song for you?
Madagascar is still the masterpiece it was on the 14th of January 2001, and I don't understand how time can take away from that.
I'm only saying that now that the record is finally out we can finally make the final judgment on this song, and it should get the respect it deserves.

GN'R 2010!!!
Millions
Headliner

It burns when I pee...

« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2008, 06:44:09 AM »

I think you have a bit of a point there, but at the same time the album version of the song isn't a patch on the Rock In Rio one. A lot of the passion is gone ; it just seems to have lost some emotion. In general, I really like the album - I'm not a moaner. But out of all the songs, I think Madagascar has really suffered. It had so much potential - its a shame. And why did they change the Rock In Rio guitar solo? That was utterly crazy. The one on the record doesn't come even close.
Skunk
Rocker

« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2008, 07:07:45 AM »

This is a very good point, and the responses here only further prove it.

The point here is simple, if you had only heard Madagascar the couple of times you attended a live show,  then right now it wouldn't feel like an old GNR song to you. Because of leaks and bootlegs, some of you have been listening to a song for years that was just released on sunday! It's a perfect example of why the band must have been so frustrated. It was your choices to listen to the music before the album's release, and then it's easy to sit here and make it sound like it's GNR's fault that you're used to a song, or that you don't like some of the changes from a live recording of a show a bunch of years ago.
peka80
Headliner

« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2008, 07:16:44 AM »

"Killed Madagascar"? I understand your point, but seriously, if you heard Don't Cry before its release, would it kill the song for you?
Madagascar is still the masterpiece it was on the 14th of January 2001, and I don't understand how time can take away from that.
I'm only saying that now that the record is finally out we can finally make the final judgment on this song, and it should get the respect it deserves.

Don't get me wrong, I really love "Madagascar". Especially when I heard it for the first time. And what I meant "time killed the song" it was all that impatience for album and new songs! And what Million said, his totally right, they changed it, and it doesn't sound like it used to!

jeffaz02t
Opening Act

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2008, 08:35:40 AM »

I think all the songs sound better than the leaks with the exception of this one. I really love this song but it is just not as good as some of the leaks I have heard. One part that bothers me is that the solo seems like it is drowned out and it was one of my favorite parts.

They have definitely made the samples louder than the solo.  I love both so it's kind of hard to decide what was the right choice there.

I am pretty sure the quotes in the middle section were very important to Axl. I read that if the King family would have not allowed him to use MLK's "I Have A Dream" quotes he would have not released the song. That said, it seems that Axl's vision of this song places more importance on the quotes for the middle section that in the solo. I think it ends up great... This album has plenty of tasty solos, I can deal with one being low in the mix for some great quotes.

This song is great... One of my faves.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2008, 09:47:01 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I really love "Madagascar". Especially when I heard it for the first time. And what I meant "time killed the song" it was all that impatience for album and new songs! And what Million said, his totally right, they changed it, and it doesn't sound like it used to!

Time has had an effect but I still love Axl's voice coming out of that Bucket solo. It is honestly my favorite moment on the album.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2008, 10:17:52 AM »

spot on for the historical american democracy moment, I reckon. Cool
Frequent Flyer
Headliner

« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »

Madagascar is an absolute masterpiece. That's really all that can be said. Powerful, masterfully produced, Axl's vocals are really something else on this track. It was one of the best tracks during all the leaks, and it's one of the best tracks now. I hope this track becomes rightfully realized as a modern classic.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2008, 02:26:17 PM »

Seems like just about everyone is bothered by the final version of the song

I have demo's which were much more powerful

A shame, could have been the best song

Still darn good

Quick! To the bandwagon!
chriskon72
Rocker

Thus spake the Super-Guru...Did you hear that?

« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2008, 02:41:53 PM »

This is a very good point, and the responses here only further prove it.

The point here is simple, if you had only heard Madagascar the couple of times you attended a live show,  then right now it wouldn't feel like an old GNR song to you. Because of leaks and bootlegs, some of you have been listening to a song for years that was just released on sunday! It's a perfect example of why the band must have been so frustrated. It was your choices to listen to the music before the album's release, and then it's easy to sit here and make it sound like it's GNR's fault that you're used to a song, or that you don't like some of the changes from a live recording of a show a bunch of years ago.

I agree alot with this post, but if that is the case release the album first and tour after. It is not 91 anymore or 76 or otherwise don't complain.

20.05.88 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
07.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
08.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
28.05.92 Kanstatterwasen, Stuttgart
26.06.93 Olympiastadion, Munich
07.04.10 Figali, Panama
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: